Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Tourney in Dallas??

Started by Bogghawg, March 09, 2017, 09:09:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

March 09, 2017, 09:09:05 pm Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:01:29 pm by Bogghawg
So I heard the tourney is going to be in St Louis next season, no doubt a result of Mizzou joining the conference.  What are the odds of Texas A&M helping get it to Dallas?  I would love a blast from the past of Barnhill South.  We used to go every year.
This is me and some buddies outside Reunion Arena circa 1986ish(?)
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

NuttinItUp

March 7-11, 2018    Scottrade Center   St. Louis, MO
March 13-17, 2019   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 11-15, 2020   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 10-14, 2021   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 9-13, 2022    Amalie Arena        Tampa, FL
March 8-12, 2023    Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 13-17, 2024   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 12-16, 2025   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN

http://www.secsports.com/article/11037442/championship-men-basketball

Bogghawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 09, 2017, 09:14:44 pm
March 7-11, 2018    Scottrade Center   St. Louis, MO
March 13-17, 2019   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 11-15, 2020   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 10-14, 2021   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 9-13, 2022    Amalie Arena        Tampa, FL
March 8-12, 2023    Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 13-17, 2024   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN
March 12-16, 2025   Bridgestone Arena   Nashville, TN

http://www.secsports.com/article/11037442/championship-men-basketball
Well, crap.

NuttinItUp

BigoBoys

Maybe.  You know that College Station is closer to Houston and San Antonio than Dallas? 

The Boar War

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 09, 2017, 09:09:05 pm
So I heard the tourney is going to be in St Louis next season, no doubt a result of Mizzou joining the conference.  What are the odds of Texas A&M helping get it to Dallas?  I would love a blast from the past of Barnhill South.  We used to go every year.
This is my and some buddies outside Reunion Arena circa 1986ish(?)

STL's greatest selling point is that it's a little over 300 miles from Lexington. 

HognitiveDissonance

On one hand I think it's cool that the SECT is going to new places, and St Louis is a nice town.

However on the other hand the SECT being in St Louis is border line ridiculous. About as ridiculous as Missouri being in the SEC. Missouri is a Midwestern state and has no geographical connection to the SEC. They should be playing Kansas every year. In fact one of the great hoops rivalries was upended.

At least Dallas is in the South.

Tejano Jawg

Well, the thought was nice Bogghawg. And nice pic. (I'm probably somewhere in the background...lol.)

I went to 17 total Arkansas games in Reunion Arena—SWC Tournament and NCAA Tourney games—and my record there is 15-2.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 09, 2017, 11:45:09 pm
Well, the thought was nice Bogghawg. And nice pic. (I'm probably somewhere in the background...lol.)

I went to 17 total Arkansas games in Reunion Arena—SWC Tournament and NCAA Tourney games—and my record there is 15-2.
One of my favorite memories was Jim Robken doing his run getting the crowd fired up with the William Tell Overture...then he disappeared. A few minutes later he re-appeared...at the top level of Reunion Arena!

Robken was one of a kind, the best pep band leader in history.

However one of the greatest games I ever saw at Reunion Arena didn't involve the men: it was a Texas/Arkansas SWCT final that Texas won 108-105. Incredible game.

Ham Sandwich

I wish it would go back to Memphis. Dallas or Memphis would be nice.

Tampa, Florida is entirely too far away for a ton of fans, not just in Arkansas.

verticalhog

Well, I'll throw in a curve ball.  The two tourist destinations that try harder than any place to attract events are Orlando and Las Vegas.  I was just in Vegas and they are hosting FOUR conference tournaments this year in various arenas.  And, they are getting a new arena in a few months (T-Mobile) for their new NHL team.  Think about the SEC tournament in Vegas!

OK, you can argue that "the economic benefits would go out west" instead of SEC country.  Bogus argument.  Who gets the benefits in Nashville?  Nashville and the one private/elite school in the entire conference.  Heck, have it in Little Rock and let us poor folks in Arkansas reap some benefits!

Again, bogus.  Most people enjoy some aspect of Vegas (same argument can be made for Orlando).  PLUS, Orlando and Vegas try harder than any tourist destinations to have affordable airfare AND VERY affordable accommodations.  I got a room in Vegas last week at a hotel that was approaching decent (hey, all I need is a bed) for $18 per night (plus tax).  You can almost always get a low airfare to Vegas and Orlando AND the folks in their tourist organizations would get you the arenas for free!  If you look at the SEC as a business and look at getting the fans to a place where they'll have fun even if their team loses their opening game, go to Vegas for the adults or Orlando for the family.  Think OUTSIDE of the box, SEC.  I can't believe they just keep going to Nashville!

Bogghawg

My favorite Reunion Arena memory was a quote from Shelby Metcalf, wonderful old fart who coached the Aggies.  He said all the Texas schools ought to band together to have the tourney moved from Dallas because it was "too close to Arkansas".  They also asked him what color would dominate the SWC tourney if Arkansas wasn't there and he said, "I guess whatever color the seats are".
Another is one night as we were about to begin a game the PA announced that ESPN was about to join us live for a national broadcast and that we should all give a great big texas welcome.  You can imagine the reaction.  It was an 18,000 seat arena and probably 16,000 were Hog fans.  About the time ESPN started the boos were so loud and long it was all you could hear over the announcers.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 10, 2017, 10:52:42 am
My favorite Reunion Arena memory was a quote from Shelby Metcalf, wonderful old fart who coached the Aggies.  He said all the Texas schools ought to band together to have the tourney moved from Dallas because it was "too close to Arkansas".  They also asked him what color would dominate the SWC tourney if Arkansas wasn't there and he said, "I guess whatever color the seats are".
Another is one night as we were about to begin a game the PA announced that ESPN was about to join us live for a national broadcast and that we should all give a great big texas welcome.  You can imagine the reaction.  It was an 18,000 seat arena and probably 16,000 were Hog fans.  About the time ESPN started the boos were so loud and long it was all you could hear over the announcers.

I miss Shelby Metcalf and Abe Lemons.  Throw in Gerald Myers at TTech and the SWC was actually entertaining there for awhile in basketball.

Somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet, there exists a photo of Lemons and Metcalf wearing 'fro wigs for an Eddie Sutton roast, back when Eddie had his perm.  T'was one of the funniest photos I've ever seen.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 10, 2017, 11:32:22 am
I miss Shelby Metcalf and Abe Lemons.  Throw in Gerald Myers at TTech and the SWC was actually entertaining there for awhile in basketball.

Somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet, there exists a photo of Lemons and Metcalf wearing 'fro wigs for an Eddie Sutton roast, back when Eddie had his perm.  T'was one of the funniest photos I've ever seen.
I'd like to see Abe calling the Hogs after U. S. Reeds game winner against Louisville.  It may have been his last official act as  ::hornsdown:: head coach.

Supermark101

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 09, 2017, 11:42:39 pm
On one hand I think it's cool that the SECT is going to new places, and St Louis is a nice town.

However on the other hand the SECT being in St Louis is border line ridiculous. About as ridiculous as Missouri being in the SEC. Missouri is a Midwestern state and has no geographical connection to the SEC. They should be playing Kansas every year. In fact one of the great hoops rivalries was upended.

At least Dallas is in the South.

As bad as the Big 10 tournament  in Washington DC?

HamIAm

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 10, 2017, 11:32:22 am

You may be confusing it with the roast where Bobby Knight and Abe Lemons wore the wigs. 

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/when-bobby-knight-abe-lemmons-roasted-eddie-sutton/

Jackrabbit Hog

That is it, and you are right, it was Knight.  Thought it was Metcalf.

Kudos for finding the photo.  Those were the days...
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HamIAm

Shelby Metcalf always looked like he was trying to smile his way through some kind of pain.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HamIAm on March 10, 2017, 04:08:43 pm
Shelby Metcalf always looked like he was trying to smile his way through some kind of pain.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Supermark101 on March 10, 2017, 02:23:55 pm
As bad as the Big 10 tournament  in Washington DC?
Yes, that may be worse.

Maryland in the Big Ten. What a joke.

Some incredible Maryland in the ACC history down the drain.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 10, 2017, 10:52:42 am
The fans giving the 'Texas welcome' was 1991, I believe. The last SWC Tourney for the Hogs.

Stewhog 11

Put it back in Atlanta with them tornaders

PORKULATOR

How about McKenzie Arena... Chattanooga.
Middle of SEC country and 15 minutes from the house. We'll get shuttles FROM my hood.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Pigonometry

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 09, 2017, 09:09:05 pm
This is me and some buddies outside Reunion Arena circa 1986ish(?)

Pretty sure this was in 1989.  I didn't start school until fall 1986 and went to SWCT in 1988 and 1989.  We won it in 1989 with Mayberry, Day, and Miller.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.