Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congratulations Mallett!!!

Started by snoot hoggy hog, March 09, 2017, 01:31:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawganatic

Glad Ryan is still in the league and making money, but yes, I am disappointed he hasn't been able to do more with his immense talent than he has in the NFL.

Watching him play for Arkansas, I thought he had the potential to be a great pro QB.   When he dropped in the draft and was taken by New England, I thought it was one of the best things that could happen for him.  Too many young QBs are thrown into the game too early and not allowed to develop.  He had the chance to develop behind one of the all time greats.

Going to Houston I thought was a good situation for him.  Good, young team with a lot of weapons around him, and a good defense.  His first start at Houston he looked like he was about to turn into what a lot of us thought he would be, a top tier pro QB.

Was really happy for him when he got another chance at Baltimore after the Houston situation unraveled.  Really hoped that Flacco was on the way out, or this was a floater for him until he could get on with another team.

As many teams out there that need QBs, and he is signing another contract to sit behind Flacco, you have to think that there isn't much of a market for him as a starter anymore.

Like I said, happy he is still making money, and he's done better than 99.9% of the people that aspire to play QB in the league, but a little sad over the fact that it appears his success in the league won't match his physical abilities.

elviscat

I think Ryan's had some issues with the people in Houston and they didn't treat him right. He has the tools to be a great qb but he is mentally not all there.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: elviscat on March 11, 2017, 10:11:31 am
I think Ryan's had some issues with the people in Houston and they didn't treat him right. He has the tools to be a great qb but he is mentally not all there.
I feel strongly that the HC in Houston has Les Miles-type QB problems. Or maybe a Nutt-type ego

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

longpig

Quote from: hoglady on March 10, 2017, 06:59:18 pm
Yes - with the number of QB's he's been through and NONE have been successful, maybe O'Brien should look at how he's handling them or adjust his offense a little.

Oh, a lot of them have been very successful before or after their short stints at Houston. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

HogsonHicks

Good for Mallett.  Anyone that dogs our own former players, especially those that have had Mallett's level of success isn't a fan. They're an ass.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

1highhog

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on March 09, 2017, 06:47:44 pm
This will be Mallett's 7th season in the league.

My how time flies.  Feels like yesterday he threw that pass to Cobi right before the half of the LSU game that sent us to the Sugar Bowl.

Dang!  I would have never thought 7 years.  I had already asked in this thread how close was he to being in the league to getting his mandatory 5 years so he would be able to collect his pension. 

SamBuckhart

Congratulations to Ryan Mallett. Thanks for working out with our QBs. Would love to know what he thinks about what he saw.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

onebadrubi

Has anyone mentioned that Houston traded osweiler because he and obrein couldnt get along... hmmmm

twistitup

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 13, 2017, 02:39:32 pm
Has anyone mentioned that Houston traded osweiler because he and obrein couldnt get along... hmmmm

Some reports say it got physical and coach/qb had to be seperated during halftime of a game...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on March 13, 2017, 02:50:38 pm
Some reports say it got physical and coach/qb had to be seperated during halftime of a game...

How many QB's does a coach have to get into it with and run off before someone will call out the common denominator?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 13, 2017, 02:56:50 pm
That they're all HORRID quarterbacks?

I mean, I get your point, but it's not a strong argument.

Show me one -- just one -- of these guys have significant success elsewhere and there's something to hang your hat on.
The devil's advocate schtick gets so old around here

logic

Quote from: hawganatic on March 11, 2017, 09:52:02 am
Glad Ryan is still in the league and making money, but yes, I am disappointed he hasn't been able to do more with his immense talent than he has in the NFL.

Watching him play for Arkansas, I thought he had the potential to be a great pro QB.   When he dropped in the draft and was taken by New England, I thought it was one of the best things that could happen for him.  Too many young QBs are thrown into the game too early and not allowed to develop.  He had the chance to develop behind one of the all time greats.

Going to Houston I thought was a good situation for him.  Good, young team with a lot of weapons around him, and a good defense.  His first start at Houston he looked like he was about to turn into what a lot of us thought he would be, a top tier pro QB.

Was really happy for him when he got another chance at Baltimore after the Houston situation unraveled.  Really hoped that Flacco was on the way out, or this was a floater for him until he could get on with another team.

As many teams out there that need QBs, and he is signing another contract to sit behind Flacco, you have to think that there isn't much of a market for him as a starter anymore.

Like I said, happy he is still making money, and he's done better than 99.9% of the people that aspire to play QB in the league, but a little sad over the fact that it appears his success in the league won't match his physical abilities.
Very good post.  I very happy for Mallet too.  I wish he could have been  an NFL starting QB but I realize only one in a million has both the physical abilities and a super quick mind it takes to see the field and select an open receiver, if any, before the protection breaks down; plus have the quickness to use his feet to buy more time. Nevertheless, experience helps and perhaps in time that will give him the edge he requires to move up to first team.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 13, 2017, 03:09:27 pm

Oh I don't know; it's a fun cheesy flick.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

lstewart

If you are on a roster as a second team NFL QB, there is always a chance you will get to play significant time due to injury. At least Mallett is getting paid to be on a roster, and there is always a chance he will get a shot due to injury. I think he is past the point of teams wanting to sign him as a starter, unless he gets significant playing time and has a lot of success. That could change everything.

seasonhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 13, 2017, 02:52:42 pm
How many QB's does a coach have to get into it with and run off before someone will call out the common denominator?

O'B was the problem when Ryan was there......I told everyone .....Ryan was football waterboarding by O'B.....plus Ryan has been blackball from his Hogs days.

Ryan should have been  early first round in the draft.....would have been better off to not be in NE......did not have a change to play there.......after he had enough of O'B in Houston .....he was marked in the NFL boys club.

How many million did Hoyer get in SF.....to say Hoyer is a better QB then Mallett is a joke..

Hankweb

32 teams in the NFL. Mallet is a#2 QB in the NFL. I'd settle for a couple million a year to be one of the top 64 quarterbacks in the world.

Iwastherein1969

you few haters out there forget where this guy took us...where we would have never gone without him, to the BCS version of the Sugar Bowl...we weren't sniffing a BCS game before he got here....and then two Texarkana boys did this.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw4dEWdNSmk       

ad: and by the way that secondary of LSU was likely the greatest in LSU history
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

seasonhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 13, 2017, 10:49:58 pm
you few haters out there forget where this guy took us...where we would have never gone without him, to the BCS version of the Sugar Bowl...we weren't sniffing a BCS game before he got here....and then two Texarkana boys did this.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw4dEWdNSmk       

ad: and by the way that secondary of LSU was likely the greatest in LSU history

Glad you found the clip 1969,.... this is the one play I remember most in 60 yrs. What a shame that Ryan talent is been wasted....

Watches today QB, most are terrible......the talking heads & O'B have blackball Mallett.....plus bad luck like the Pec injury.

I may never see Hog Football again like the years Ryan was here.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: southeasthog on March 10, 2017, 05:51:55 am
Here is some more of his great insight to how Razorbacks will transition to the NFL.

Spaeth career numbers.

9 seasons.....55 catches.....10 TDs

Henry career numbers

1 season.....36 catches......8 TDs

Oh enlightened one, please inform us no nothing rabble on which Hog will be the next mediocre one.

Anytime anyone says anything positive about Arkansas Zeke drops smart allec shirt bombs by the dozen. All he wants to do is lure someone into an attack vs defend position and hedge his bet that your homerism will be defeated by the history of well wishes who have failed to be all pro's... In short hes a sock tucker... That, or a cork soaker. I'm not sure which.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jmb1973

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 13, 2017, 03:09:27 pm

That's his M.O. And it has been for years. He slinks around from message board to message board stirring up B.S. and being a total jack wagon. He's been banned here before for trolling and likely it will happen again soon. He brings nothing but negativity anywhere he goes.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jmb1973 on March 14, 2017, 02:36:57 pm
That's his M.O. And it has been for years. He slinks around from message board to message board stirring up B.S. and being a total jack wagon. He's been banned here before for trolling and likely it will happen again soon. He brings nothing but negativity anywhere he goes.

Probably just bored in his life and job and resorts to this type of behavior for a rise in his life.  Sad honestly.

sowmonella

Um...you are fan base embarrassing.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Dominicanhog

bennyl08

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 15, 2017, 03:39:41 pm
[sarcasm] Oh, sure. You caught me. [/sarcasm]

I just find the universal lauding of Ryan Mallett to be fan base embarrassing. Heck, there's an argument to be made he wasn't even the best QB on our roster when he was in Fayetteville, let alone on any of the professional teams he's been with.

Is me making $$$? Sure. So is Tom Savage who -- interestingly enough -- the Texans decided was good enough to keep even after being on IR for the entire 2015 season. Think about that: Houston decided to keep a guy WHO DIDN'T EVEN PLAY over the Scantron King.

Not respecting Mallett isn't my agenda, it's the NFL's.

Reality.

So, sure, obtaining any contract is a positive for Ryan.

Mallett has continually been on a roster for coming on 7 years now. Tyler Wilson was beat out by an undrafted free agent and was on the practice squad before being cut. So, it is highly unlikely Mallett was not the best qb on the roster when he was here.

As for respect or lack thereof, in the last 50 years, only Joe Ferguson was drafted higher than Mallett and even then, only barely. He's also had the 2nd longest career by a long shot as well. Average career length of a qb in the NFL is 4.44 years so Mallett is well established as an above average NFL quarterback. So again, don't see any disrespect there either. Average NFL career for a player who is one the opening game day roster is 6 years so again, Mallett is above average.

Of the players drafted ahead of him, Jake Locker has retired, Ponder and Kaepernick are free agents that haven't been a contract anywhere yet. Enderle, taken after him is gone. QB's taken after him, including those in recent years have already washed out as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RME

I just find the universal lauding of Ryan Mallett to be fan base embarrassing. Heck, there's an argument to be made he wasn't even the best QB on our roster when he was in Fayetteville, let alone on any of the professional teams he's been with.

Is me making $$$? Sure. So is Tom Savage who -- interestingly enough -- the Texans decided was good enough to keep even after being on IR for the entire 2015 season. Think about that: Houston decided to keep a guy WHO DIDN'T EVEN PLAY over the Scantron King.

Reality.

A contract that a Nostradamus such as yourself would love to obtain.

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 09, 2017, 03:35:52 pm
Pretty sure you made claims that he would never make it in the league. Looks like he's making it so far.
Zeke is infamous for lambasting anyone and everyone pretty much that was ever connected in any way to Bobby Petrino. Including Mallett who played for him as his star QB. I'm very proud for Ryan. Wish he could get a starting role somewhere.

onebadrubi

Reality.

Using Tom Savage as an example would be like using Kellen Moore is better than Tony Romo as an example.  NFL teams don't always keep the best player for reasons other than performance.  Mallett and the coach got in too it and had a disagreement.  The coach leaked things to the public to make himself look better.  It's now not a coincident that he has been shuffling through QB's and apparently having issues with every one of them.  At some point, no matter how good or not those QB's were you have to look at yourself. 

seasonhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 16, 2017, 07:51:41 pm
Using Tom Savage as an example would be like using Kellen Moore is better than Tony Romo as an example.  NFL teams don't always keep the best player for reasons other than performance.  Mallett and the coach got in too it and had a disagreement.  The coach leaked things to the public to make himself look better.  It's now not a coincident that he has been shuffling through QB's and apparently having issues with every one of them.  At some point, no matter how good or not those QB's were you have to look at yourself.

O'B is a nut case....they would do well to send him packing......Mallett would have been a good fit for them.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 15, 2017, 05:31:46 pm
Mallett has continually been on a roster for coming on 7 years now. Tyler Wilson was beat out by an undrafted free agent and was on the practice squad before being cut. So, it is highly unlikely Mallett was not the best qb on the roster when he was here.

As for respect or lack thereof, in the last 50 years, only Joe Ferguson was drafted higher than Mallett and even then, only barely. He's also had the 2nd longest career by a long shot as well. Average career length of a qb in the NFL is 4.44 years so Mallett is well established as an above average NFL quarterback. So again, don't see any disrespect there either. Average NFL career for a player who is one the opening game day roster is 6 years so again, Mallett is above average.

Of the players drafted ahead of him, Jake Locker has retired, Ponder and Kaepernick are free agents that haven't been a contract anywhere yet. Enderle, taken after him is gone. QB's taken after him, including those in recent years have already washed out as well.

Don't expect Zeke to respond to you. He only posts when he sees an opportunity to do a drive-by shooting of a former Hog. He doesn't like to discuss his views because his logic is flawed - as your post clearly shows.

I find him funny as he is clearly threatened by Ryan. Not sure why, yet seven years on he still cannot pass up a chance to get ridiculous.

+1 for your post.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Dominicanhog

he's still young enough ... Baltimore is a good place.. he'll get a few chances to play.. Flacco throws int's at a high rate and John will give him a chance, if he's working hard in practice......

goodguytex

There is a very good reason Zeke has been banned in every single Razorback message board he has ever been a member of. I sometimes wonder if he's just a troll for another program.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: goodguytex on March 17, 2017, 12:13:19 pm
There is a very good reason Zeke has been banned in every single Razorback message board he has ever been a member of. I sometimes wonder if he's just a troll for another program.

I think it is Oxbaker.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

goodguytex

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 17, 2017, 06:13:52 pm
I think it is Oxbaker.  ;D
Sadly, no... And I know you're making a joke LOL!! I wish it were oxbaker. Sadly, I have beenputting up with Zeke for a very long time on numerous message boards.