Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congratulations Mallett!!!

Started by snoot hoggy hog, March 09, 2017, 01:31:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

navyhog24

I wish I could be a career backup and collect millions. Congrats to Ryan for staying healthy and out of trouble.

Jackrabbit Hog

That's great for Ryan.  Hopefully he has somebody smart and looking out for his best interest handling his finances.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

sowmonella

Anyone know the terms of the contract?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkRinds

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 09, 2017, 01:45:29 pm
Since I believed he'd be a bigger bust than Dan McGwire who had five years in the league and started five games? This is -- actually -- success. "Cool."

Is that you admitting you were wrong?

1highhog

How long has he been in the NFL now?  I didn't think he'd last 5 years with the way he was getting bounced around, so if he gets that, he'll at least get his pension for life.

PorkRinds

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 09, 2017, 03:34:51 pm
Ryan does have a single career win more than McGwire and beats him in QB rating 64.9 to 57.3 in one less year. So, sure, "Mallett seems to have ever-so-slightly bested Dan McGwire."

My error.

Pretty sure you made claims that he would never make it in the league. Looks like he's making it so far.

DeltaBoy

Good for Ryan a few more years and he can retire.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoggusamoungus

"Anybody got a clipboard for Ryan Mallett?"

Good for him.  Last contract paid him $1.6MM over two years so i'm guessing the new one will be as good or better.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 09, 2017, 01:45:29 pm
Since I believed he'd be a bigger bust than Dan McGwire who had five years in the league and started five games? This is -- actually -- success. "Cool."

Yep, you were a d*&k when Mallett was drafted. And this apology of yours is pretty lame as well.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

FANONTHEHILL

Ryan was in town working for out with the QBs a few weeks ago.  My son said that Austin had a great arm, Cole has a cannon, and then there's the Mallett category.  So happy Ryan is taking advantage of his opportunity.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Boarcephus

I'm happy for Ryan.  The only problem he's ever had in the NFL that I'm aware of is when he got his feelings hurt and missed a plane when he didn't get the starting job.  I still think he'll get his chance and will do well.  Hope so.  He represented the UofA well. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

oldgoat

My 14 year old son saw Mallett at Silver Dollar City 2 years ago with no one around him.  He talked a long time to my boy and took pics.  Mallett loves UA and will always be a favorite of mine and he deserves our support.
Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

Professor Psychosis

This will be Mallett's 7th season in the league.

My how time flies.  Feels like yesterday he threw that pass to Cobi right before the half of the LSU game that sent us to the Sugar Bowl.

RME

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 09, 2017, 06:47:52 pm
I don't recall apologizing?

Mallett's stock has done nothing but, appropriately, drop for four years (traded for a six pack of warm Pabst and cut). He is, however, a reasonable facsimile of an inaccurate and immobile Joe Flacco light(tm) so resurfacing in Baltimore made some sense.

This is, very likely, the absolute pinnacle of Mallett's NFL "career" which -- grand scheme -- does make him slightly superior to Dan McGwire. Certainly, however, not to the point I should be sorry for drawing the comparison.

IT'S PRETTY ACCURATE.

Still, good for Mallett. There's lots of guys who'd love to be a clipboard caddy for the $$$ he's raking in. He'll never again be devoid of ScanTron.

Did Ryan do something to your once girlfriend?

bulldog04

He's in a lot better place than those QBs drafted ahead of him besides Cam

hoghearted

why can't some people just remember what their momma told 'em......'if you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all'.  *sigh*

Congrats to one of my favorite Hogs. Good job, Ryan.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm happy he gets his 5th year in the NFL. There have probably been lots of guys who labored as the #2 and #3 QB for several years who no one would have thought would wind up being anything at all except being cut from the roster. Who knows when or if he gets his break and makes the most of it? You never know. But because he is a former Hog, I'm happy for him that he gets another shot. I hope he makes the most of the chance.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 09, 2017, 06:54:58 pm
Did Ryan do something to your once girlfriend?

Zeke talked crap about Hunter Henry as well.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 09, 2017, 07:18:37 pm
No.

I'm just not an immense fan of how he's represented my alma mater...

...and how everyone here rode his jock as the next Elway.

Well exactly how long does that go on for you? Do you hold lifetime grudges for a former Hog or is the shelf-life for your grudges limited to 5-6-7 years or what? I think Mallett may have changed a lot since he was here. He has certainly been humbled, beginning with the draft and now being on his third team. Personally, I'm pulling for the young man to succeed. I would hope that you would be as well.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

No.

Lol. I'm sure when people see Ryan Mallett the first thing they think is "yeah that dude makes the University of Arkansas look like darn."

Of course everyone here rode his jock as Elway. It's Hogville. Physically, he's about a good a quarterback specimen as they come. Some accuracy troubles, but nothing that couldn't have been tightened up had he not been a headcase/poor at handling adversity, which was his major issue.

lakecityhog

And what pray tell is  "the absolute pinnacle" of your career?
Let's see, sitting behind a computer degrading a former Razorback or being a backup QB in the NFL???

Damn, it's so hard to figure out which guy would be called successful!!!

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Tusks

Quote from: sowmonella on March 09, 2017, 03:09:00 pm

The article says $2M, with $1M at signing so that's a net of a cool mill total, not bad.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

hoglady

There's quite a few former college QB's who would love be in Mallett's position.
Glad to hear he's staying in Baltimore.
Look's like he's done well, worked hard and stayed out of trouble.
He made the most out of what very well may have been his last chance and probably rehabilitated his image throughout the NFL.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

RagingHawgOn

Happy for Ryan. And I believe he will get his shot soon. Some guys just take longer to get "it".

lasthog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 09, 2017, 11:06:36 pm
My Hogville career?

Knowing from jump that Bobby Petrino was bad news and that his two wonder QB's here would follow a long line of NFL signalcaller disasters under his tutelage.

Jake Plummer was the best.

Ugh. Reality.

Some folks are pitiful cases, present company foremost among many.

southeasthog

Quote from: factchecker on March 09, 2017, 07:11:46 pm
Zeke talked crap about Hunter Henry as well.

Here is some more of his great insight to how Razorbacks will transition to the NFL.

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on April 12, 2016, 09:11:30 pm
Hunter Henry = Matt Spaeth.

Comparables?  Spaeth (who put on 20 lbs post Combine) being a better blocker/size larger and Henry a tick faster (4.66 to 4.8 ) in the 40-yard.  Both possessed excellent hands in college.  I perceive a similar career path which is, essentially, long-term journeyman.  Comparisons to Jason Witten are ridiculous as -- discounting single use Combine prep -- Henry's not as athletic, doesn't get out of his breaks as well and already fought some knee issues as a Freshman.

There's nothing wrong with a decade long competent professional career but if the homerism bar is superstardom?

Ugh.

Spaeth career numbers.

9 seasons.....55 catches.....10 TDs

Henry career numbers

1 season.....36 catches......8 TDs

Oh enlightened one, please inform us no nothing rabble on which Hog will be the next mediocre one.

longpig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 09, 2017, 07:35:25 pm
Lol. I'm sure when people see Ryan Mallett the first thing they think is "yeah that dude makes the University of Arkansas look like darn."

Of course everyone here rode his jock as Elway. It's Hogville. Physically, he's about a good a quarterback specimen as they come. Some accuracy troubles, but nothing that couldn't have been tightened up had he not been a headcase/poor at handling adversity, which was his major issue.

Probably would be more accurate than most with more snaps.  Biggest thing holding The Legend back is lack of durability.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

March 10, 2017, 06:14:56 am #31 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:43:21 am by longpig
Quote from: hoglady on March 09, 2017, 09:50:40 pm
There's quite a few former college QB's who would love be in Mallett's position.
Glad to hear he's staying in Baltimore.
Look's like he's done well, worked hard and stayed out of trouble.
He made the most out of what very well may have been his last chance and probably rehabilitated his image throughout the NFL.

Must be doing something right because Harbaugh is keeping him around.  That guy doesn't put up with much.  Looking at the QBs who have come and went at Houston makes one think Obrien was most of the problem for Mallett and others.

Athog

GuvHog

Quote from: longpig on March 10, 2017, 06:14:56 am
Must be doing something right because Harbaugh is keeping him around.  That guy doesn't put up with much.  Looking at the QBs who have come and went at Houston makes one think Obrien was most of the problem for Mallett and others.

Obrien was indeed the problem in Houston. He didn't want to sign Mallett and didn't like him from the start but was overruled by his general Manager and he never gave Mallett a fair shake.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: oldgoat on March 09, 2017, 06:25:10 pm
My 14 year old son saw Mallett at Silver Dollar City 2 years ago with no one around him.  He talked a long time to my boy and took pics.  Mallett loves UA and will always be a favorite of mine and he deserves our support.

Thanks for sharing and you are correct that he deserves our support!! Happy for Ryan.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

bphi11ips

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 09, 2017, 06:02:22 pm
Ryan was in town working for out with the QBs a few weeks ago.  My son said that Austin had a great arm, Cole has a cannon, and then there's the Mallett category.  So happy Ryan is taking advantage of his opportunity.

Not a perfect analogy, but older (55 and up) Baltimore (Colts) fans will remember career backup Earl Morrall and the 1968 Super Bowl season. Morrall was a first-round pick and had a couple of good early years.  By 1968 the Colts were his 5th team . After Johnny Unitas went down during preseason, Morrall led the Colts to a 13-1 season. Head coach Don Shula, the Belichik of his day, kept Morrall, a 74.1 career passer, with the Dolphins.  Without Morrall to step in for an injured Bob Griese, there may have never been an undefeated NFL team.

Ryan Mallett had a first-round arm.  He may have had free agent legs, but so does Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning. Belichick knows a bargain when he sees one.  Unfortunately for Mallett, he wound up behind the biggest bargain in the history of the NFL.  Houston and O'Brien weren't a good fit. Mallett needs time on the field, and O'Brien lacked the patience to develop him. 

When you watch professional QBs live season after season, you come to appreciate unique arm talent. You also see a lot of that talent wasted between the ears. Maybe Mallett is one of those rare talents who can't get out of his own way.  But Baltimore is a good fit for him.  Maybe he will have a season someday like Earl Morrall in 1968. Congrats to him for hanging in there.  Wishing him all the best.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 10, 2017, 08:09:24 am
Not a perfect analogy, but older (55 and up) Baltimore (Colts) fans will remember career backup Earl Morrall and the 1968 Super Bowl season. Morrall was a first-round pick and had a couple of good early years.  By 1968 the Colts were his 5th team . After Johnny Unitas went down during preseason, Morrall led the Colts to a 13-1 season. Head coach Don Shula, the Belichik of his day, kept Morrall, a 74.1 career passer, with the Dolphins.  Without Morrall to step in for an injured Bob Griese, there may have never been an undefeated NFL team.

Ryan Mallett had a first-round arm.  He may have had free agent legs, but so does Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning. Belichick knows a bargain when he sees one.  Unfortunately for Mallett, he wound up behind the biggest bargain in the history of the NFL.  Houston and O'Brien weren't a good fit. Mallett needs time on the field, and O'Brien lacked the patience to develop him. 

When you watch professional QBs live season after season, you come to appreciate unique arm talent. You also see a lot of that talent wasted between the ears. Maybe Mallett is one of those rare talents who can't get out of his own way.  But Baltimore is a good fit for him.  Maybe he will have a season someday like Earl Morrall in 1968. Congrats to him for hanging in there.  Wishing him all the best.

Sometimes you just have to wait for your chance.  I'm not putting him in the same category as these two, but Rodgers had to sit behind Farve and Young sat behind Montana for years.  Gilding the clip board and maturing as a player and person can be a good thing.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on March 09, 2017, 05:35:44 pm
"Anybody got a clipboard scantron for Ryan Mallett?"

Good for him.  Last contract paid him $1.6MM over two years so i'm guessing the new one will be as good or better.

Fixed that for you. Sorry, that was just too easy. I do wish him well.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2017, 07:54:39 am
Obrien was indeed the problem in Houston. He didn't want to sign Mallett and didn't like him from the start but was overruled by his general Manager and he never gave Mallett a fair shake.

He and Brady butted heads at his last job, I hear.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: longpig on March 10, 2017, 10:22:50 am
He and Brady butted heads at his last job, I hear.

Further evidence from yesterday's trade of Osweiler to the Browns, basically giving the guy away after one year.  Sure seems that O'Brien lacks patience with his QBs.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

longpig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 10, 2017, 09:24:57 am
Sometimes you just have to wait for your chance.  I'm not putting him in the same category as these two, but Rodgers had to sit behind Farve and Young sat behind Montana for years.  Gilding the clip board and maturing as a player and person can be a good thing.

I do wish Mallett well, but until he makes it through more than a couple starts uninjured no one is going to factor him in as more than a short term emergency backup. 

twistitup

He qualfies for NFL pension  now, correct?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

theFlyingHog

Quote from: longpig on March 10, 2017, 10:28:21 am
I do wish Mallett well, but until he makes it through more than a couple starts uninjured no one is going to factor him in as more than a short term emergency backup.
He makes a hell of a lot more money than I do and has a more enjoyable job.

GolfnHog

No.

What a coincidence;  I'm not a big fan as to how your represent yourself in giving opinions about others. Your comeuppance posturing on your "factual opinions" are based only on your perception of those you blast negatively. Regardless of your opinion, your self serving pompous superior attitude justifies my opinion;  you're status in life is not near as awesome as you give your self credit for.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: sowmonella on March 09, 2017, 03:09:00 pm
1 year @ $2 million with a $1 million bonus... Imagine that should allow him to be around and possibly get "That Moment", or give him the money to get training for that ESPN gig he has surely had his eyes on. The guy has a great sense of humor and would be awesome to have as a color analyst for SEC Network one of these days...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GolfnHog on March 10, 2017, 03:31:47 pm
What a coincidence;  I'm not a big fan as to how your represent yourself in giving opinions about others. Your comeuppance posturing on your "factual opinions" are based only on your perception of those you blast negatively. Regardless of your opinion, your self serving pompous superior attitude justifies my opinion;  you're status in life is not near as awesome as you give your self credit for.
(BOOM.!!) where's that +1 button.!?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hoglady

Quote from: longpig on March 10, 2017, 06:14:56 am

Yes - with the number of QB's he's been through and NONE have been successful, maybe O'Brien should look at how he's handling them or adjust his offense a little.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ChitownHawg

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 09, 2017, 06:47:52 pm
I don't recall apologizing?

Mallett's stock has done nothing but, appropriately, drop for four years (traded for a six pack of warm Pabst and cut). He is, however, a reasonable facsimile of an inaccurate and immobile Joe Flacco light(tm) so resurfacing in Baltimore made some sense.

This is, very likely, the absolute pinnacle of Mallett's NFL "career" which -- grand scheme -- does make him slightly superior to Dan McGwire. Certainly, however, not to the point I should be sorry for drawing the comparison.

IT'S PRETTY ACCURATE.

Still, good for Mallett. There's lots of guys who'd love to be a clipboard caddy for the $$$ he's raking in. He'll never again be devoid of ScanTron.

I notice you did not dispute my "You be a d%$k" statement. And you are.  ;)

I never met a fan you railed on a player as much as you do. And Ryan is not the only player you have done this to. Grab your little crumb and scurry back under the baseboards.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

twistitup

Baltimore- the city that reads
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jkstock04

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 11, 2017, 06:54:46 am
I notice you did not dispute my "You be a d%$k" statement. And you are.  ;)

I never met a fan you railed on a player as much as you do. And Ryan is not the only player you have done this to. Grab your little crumb and scurry back under the baseboards.
He's had a personal agenda against Mallett for years upon years. It's one thing to rag on coaches...but Hog players that have made a career in the NFL? Dumb and illogical.

Ya he's not the next Joe Montana but holy hell...how many people can say they were active as a QB on a NFL roster for that many years? When is the last time an Arkansas qb completed that type of feat? I don't get the hate there.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys