Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colorado State Question

Started by scooby21322, March 09, 2017, 10:57:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scooby21322

The news articles I've read are not completely clear (in my mind) on this.  I know that for 2018, CSU will replace the P5 requirement.  But does that also extend to 2019?  CSU had been on the schedule for 2019 prior to yesterday's announcement, so I had always assumed a P5 would be included in the 2019 schedule along with CSU. 

NuttinItUp

LCAPTP

MultipleScoreGasms

We should play both games there.

hogsanity

Quote from: scooby21322 on March 09, 2017, 10:57:25 am
The news articles I've read are not completely clear (in my mind) on this.  I know that for 2018, CSU will replace the P5 requirement.  But does that also extend to 2019?  CSU had been on the schedule for 2019 prior to yesterday's announcement, so I had always assumed a P5 would be included in the 2019 schedule along with CSU. 

Report I heard this morning was the waiver was good for 18 & 19 so it is entirely possible CSu will be the "p5" game for 2019 as well.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

scooby21322

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2017, 01:34:57 pm
Report I heard this morning was the waiver was good for 18 & 19 so it is entirely possible CSu will be the "p5" game for 2019 as well.

Thanks for actually answering the question! 

I suspected this to be the case, but I hope they'll come up with a P5 home and home for 2019-2020.  This would make sense if Texas holds firm for 2021.

Wild Bill Hog

longpig

March 10, 2017, 05:56:35 am #7 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:19:02 am by longpig
Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 09, 2017, 11:39:26 pm
Everything's legal in Colorado.

You want to pet the moose?   Pet the moose.
Don't be scared, be smart.

a0ashle

Plot twist, CSU ends up being a P5 by the time we play by getting absorbed into Big 12 in a hurry, as a last ditch effort to keep their league alive ;)

George S. Pigton

Texas still owes the Hogs a home game on the Hill as well, maybe they still trying to work something out for '19 with the Horns.

We played the Horns in Austin Bobby's first year and then cancelled that the next years game as Bobby wanted more time to
build his team.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

rljjr

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GolfnHog

I'll be there. Ft. Collins is equal distance from me as it is to Tulsa and actually an hour closer than Fayetteville. Ft. Collins is one cool town with lots of things to do. It's only an hour N of Denver so it's a great road game to make a weekend out of.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 09, 2017, 11:09:08 am
Isn't pot legal in Colorado?
Yeah, brings another meaning to the old song "Rocky Mountain High". ;) :P :)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: a0ashle on March 10, 2017, 08:20:30 am
Plot twist, CSU ends up being a P5 by the time we play by getting absorbed into Big 12 in a hurry, as a last ditch effort to keep their league alive ;)

The Big 12(10) needs to do something and pretty quickly but the premium brand name in Colorado is "The University of Colorado" and not Colorado State. Just another mistake that the Big 12 made in allowing Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and A&M to defect to other conferences. Maybe they should have applied more pressure to UT sooner than they have.

That said, while I don't care for the drive from Denver to Fort Collins, it is a good sized school and they probably should be a "no brainer" add-in for the Big 12. The problem is that the Big 12 Commish (Bob Bowlsby) is emulating Nero, fiddling while the Big 12 burns. It's amazing that a guy who is supposed to be pretty smart (as a former Stanford AD) is so dumb as to just allow that whole conference to decrease in value and go down the drain. He could add teams in the East in relation to their eastern most partner (W. Virginia) and get back to 12 teams and in doing so offer them entry to the Ohio/Eastern T.V. markets and perhaps even the Florida market, while adding someone like Colorado State who is more regionally relevant, but he sits on his hands. I cannot believe that they continue to retain him.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

While it was a question that hasn't been asked, Colorado State has put in 6 players to the NFL over the past 3 seasons, 2 per year. Two 2nd round picks, Two 3rd round, a 5th, and a 6th.

While that is no guarantee for the amount of talent they will have when we play them, it certainly suggests a level of sustained and not too shabby of recruiting rather than just a couple flash in the pan players that a school like NIU might get.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

March 10, 2017, 06:21:52 pm #18 Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:07:27 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bennyl08 on March 10, 2017, 05:59:12 pm
While it was a question that hasn't been asked, Colorado State has put in 6 players to the NFL over the past 3 seasons, 2 per year. Two 2nd round picks, Two 3rd round, a 5th, and a 6th.

While that is no guarantee for the amount of talent they will have when we play them, it certainly suggests a level of sustained and not too shabby of recruiting rather than just a couple flash in the pan players that a school like NIU might get.

Colorado State wouldn't be a good add-in for the Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC or the SEC, but they would be a good school for the Big 12 to add before they fool around and loose more schools because they can't seem to get back to a legit CCG by not having 12 teams as a minimum. Plus they are building a new football stadium (about the same size as that of TCU I believe), so it isn't as if they are too small. As of 2015 they had 25,600 undergraduate students. OU has about 31,000, so the number and size is comparable.
Go Hogs Go!

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: George S. Pigton on March 10, 2017, 09:13:26 am
Texas still owes the Hogs a home game on the Hill as well, maybe they still trying to work something out for '19 with the Horns.

We played the Horns in Austin Bobby's first year and then cancelled that the next years game as Bobby wanted more time to
build his team.
Texas is already on the schedule in a couple of years for their return trip. I think it's 2021
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

tusksincolorado

Quote from: GolfnHog on March 10, 2017, 04:24:36 pm
I'll be there. Ft. Collins is equal distance from me as it is to Tulsa and actually an hour closer than Fayetteville. Ft. Collins is one cool town with lots of things to do. It's only an hour N of Denver so it's a great road game to make a weekend out of.

Book a New Belgium Brewery tour.....Free BEER cool tour! Enjoy the Sour!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 10, 2017, 04:58:58 pm
Yeah, brings another meaning to the old song "Rocky Mountain High". ;) :P :)

All of you all act like I did back in the late 70's when I would make road shows to Oklahoma to get Coors!

Pot, and the Pot industry is nothing special here anymore....except for the tax revenue we make....something like 70 million last year.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: rljjr on March 10, 2017, 09:38:58 am
Kobe might disagree.

Yelp that Mountain Girl found out what "Black Mamba" truly meant.....

hoggusamoungus

Tennessee doesn't seem to have a problem scheduling name opponents for non-conference games.  Recently played NC State, OU, Oregon, VATech and have GATech in 2017 and OU coming up again in a few years.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2017/03/30/john-adams-tennessee-non-conference-schedule-plus/99667592/

Inhogswetrust

April 04, 2017, 06:53:49 am #24 Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:29:01 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 04, 2017, 06:42:58 am
Tennessee doesn't seem to have a problem scheduling name opponents for non-conference games.  Recently played NC State, OU, Oregon, VATech and have GATech in 2017 and OU coming up again in a few years.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2017/03/30/john-adams-tennessee-non-conference-schedule-plus/99667592/

So what. Schedules are made in advance. I bet they would have the same trouble filling a slot with a big name opponent as we did if another had bought out of the game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 04, 2017, 06:42:58 am

Is it really that difficult to grasp the lurch Michigan left us in when they pulled out of our agreement to play ND?  Much like the motorcycle wreck on 1 April, it happened at such a late stage in the game, that it was difficult to fill the position adequately.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 04, 2017, 08:24:12 am
Is it really that difficult to grasp the lurch Michigan left us in when they pulled out of our agreement to play ND?

It doesn't fit some peoples agenda of putting down the coach, the ad, or the program.

Pork Twain

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 04, 2017, 08:34:03 am
It doesn't fit some peoples agenda of putting down the coach, the ad, or the program.
Talk about having blinders on and/or an agenda.  Most of these games are scheduled many years in advance to ensure all the schedules match up, and we are trying to make a fill at this point and people have hurt lady parts over it.

We scheduled our 2018 & 2019 game with Michigan in 2012 (+6/7 years), they canceled in 2016 and we were left to find a replacement that by some miracle had the same non-conference need as us and a workable open date (+2/3 years).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/8600707/michigan-wolverines-add-byu-cougars-arkansas-razorbacks-future-schedules

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jul/07/report-arkansas-michigan-series-canceled/
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 04, 2017, 08:34:03 am

No agenda against anyone, just an observation.  Despite your misperception, I'll continue to make my contributions, buy tickets and support the program, regardless of who's on the schedule.

Hogwild

Quote from: George S. Pigton on March 10, 2017, 09:13:26 am

build his team.

the earliest it would be is '21, Texas has a home and away with LSU in '19/'20

onebadrubi

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 04, 2017, 09:16:31 am
No agenda against anyone, just an observation.  Despite your misperception, I'll continue to make my contributions, buy tickets and support the program, regardless of who's on the schedule.

You made an observation because someone pulled out on us at the last minute on a home and home.  You the. Used Tenner as an example as to what you wish for, yet those games had been planned for years in advance, yet you used them to elevate them over the razorback program when it comes to scheduling.  So yes, more than an observation.  Your agenda led you to try and plead for the same with Arkansas, while refusing to excuse what happened was completely out of anyone at Arkansas's control.  It's ok, many here have problems comprehending such a convoluted issue...

Pork Twain

April 04, 2017, 12:45:43 pm #31 Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:07:30 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 04, 2017, 09:16:31 am
Why even bring up TN?  If Michigan had not backed out on us, our scheduling would have been no less impressive than theirs.  We did our part, they backed out and now we are left to scramble to fill those two vacancies.  Is there some sort of benefit to propping TN up over us, when the situations are completely different?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 10, 2017, 06:21:52 pm
Colorado State wouldn't be a good add-in for the Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC or the SEC, but they would be a good school for the Big 12 to add before they fool around and loose more schools because they can't seem to get back to a legit CCG by not having 12 teams as a minimum. Plus they are building a new football stadium (about the same size as that of TCU I believe), so it isn't as if they are too small. As of 2015 they had 25,600 undergraduate students. OU has about 31,000, so the number and size is comparable.

CSU has about as much potential as any other program in the west not in a P5 conference.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi