Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 3-4 Defense Vs. The Run & Pass

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 09, 2017, 06:43:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

March 09, 2017, 06:43:10 am Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:15:28 am by MuskogeeHogFan
I watched this (it is short...15 minutes or so) and I thought this Coach did a great job of laying out the types of players you need to run the 3-4. As he goes through this description I am sure that many of you will begin to think of a particular Razorback player(s) that might fit his profiles by position.

If our team can execute their responsibilities in the 3-4 versus the run like the teams in this video, we shouldn't see anymore games where the opponent is just gashing us for big runs. You don't have to come free as a defensive player to shut down or seal-off a gap.

I thought this was very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ag2W6YsiRo
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

nwahogfan1

Auburn is gearing up their offense to run the ball with lots of wiggles and fakes so we will see how well we are prepared to stop that type of running game.   I bet they run the ball better than anyone using the spread.  Then we will have Bama who will mostly have a running game that just lines up and beat you up the middle with power blocking and power running.  Two very good running teams but two different ways of doing it.  So we will see if we have the horses to stop them.

Until we get all the players we need in place I assume we will have to stunt and gamble a lot.

I just hope our CB's with some help over the top can play mostly tight Man coverages up in the grille of the WR's.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 09, 2017, 09:06:57 am
Auburn is gearing up their offense to run the ball with lots of wiggles and fakes so we will see how well we are prepared to stop that type of running game.   I bet they run the ball better than anyone using the spread.  Then we will have Bama who will mostly have a running game that just lines up and beat you up the middle with power blocking and power running.  Two very good running teams but two different ways of doing it.  So we will see if we have the horses to stop them.

Until we get all the players we need in place I assume we will have to stunt and gamble a lot.

I just hope our CB's with some help over the top can play mostly tight Man coverages up in the grille of the WR's.

If you watch some of these videos and see how the 3-4 can be played and if this is how Rhoads teaches it to the defense, we should be better than last year. Of course, it is all about execution and as this Coach in the video stresses, it is simply about everyone knowing and doing their jobs, realizing that you aren't going to be in on every play at every snap of the ball, but you still have to execute your assignment in a disciplined fashion for the team to have success.
Go Hogs Go!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 09, 2017, 09:17:51 am
If you watch some of these videos and see how the 3-4 can be played and if this is how Rhoads teaches it to the defense, we should be better than last year. Of course, it is all about execution and as this Coach in the video stresses, it is simply about everyone knowing and doing their jobs, realizing that you aren't going to be in on every play at every snap of the ball, but you still have to execute your assignment in a disciplined fashion for the team to have success.

I know everyone talks about the lack of speed on last year's D... but I think the real culprit was just having guys not knowing what to do.  Sure, Brooks Ellis not being able to catch a guy at the corner hurt a time or two, but where was the help? 

This switch to the 3-4 is much discussed, but can the guys execute regardless of the scheme?

jgphillips3

It's a damn shame that Brooks Ellis didn't get to play in this scheme.  He could have been a great MLB in the 3-4.  He was lost in the 4-3 with the responsibilities we gave him.

The OTR

makes you wonder why Bobby Petrino didn't flip his lid when Willie Rob was flipping strong and weak defensive ends, and CBB when Robb Smith was doing the same

opponents shifting tight ends before the snap had us running around like keystone cops before the snap

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 09, 2017, 09:17:51 am

I agree it is so much about execution of our players and the players having the confidence and the abilities to run this defense but it is also about our Defense Coaches calling the proper packages and stunts at the right time.   For instance if we call a blitz and the offense calls the right play then it could lead to a quick TD.  So Coaches must know our team strengths plus know the opposing teams tendencies.

Believe me I hope this all works out.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 09, 2017, 09:44:00 am
It's a damn shame that Brooks Ellis didn't get to play in this scheme.  He could have been a great MLB in the 3-4.  He was lost in the 4-3 with the responsibilities we gave him.

I agree and that is the same thing that I was thinking as I listened to this guy go through the video talking about the desired characteristics of each player and their responsibilities.
Go Hogs Go!

The OTR

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 09, 2017, 09:47:29 am
I agree it is so much about execution of our players and the players having the confidence and the abilities to run this defense but it is also about our Defense Coaches calling the proper packages and stunts at the right time.   For instance if we call a blitz and the offense calls the right play then it could lead to a quick TD.  So Coaches must know our team strengths plus know the opposing teams tendencies.

Believe me I hope this all works out.

3-4 cuts down on confusion, thus it cuts down on mistakes

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 09:44:13 am
makes you wonder why Bobby Petrino didn't flip his lid when Willie Rob was flipping strong and weak defensive ends, and CBB when Robb Smith was doing the same

opponents shifting tight ends before the snap had us running around like keystone cops before the snap

That was a 4-3 and this is a 3-4 and the 4-3 employed different philosophy involving a Rush End. I believe that the conversion to the 3-4 is really going to help this team.
Go Hogs Go!

The OTR

March 09, 2017, 09:57:45 am #14 Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:07:57 am by Pillowhead Jackson
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 09, 2017, 09:54:41 am
That was a 4-3 and this is a 3-4 and the 4-3 employed different philosophy involving a Rush End. I believe that the conversion to the 3-4 is really going to help this team.

I know it was 4-3

4-3 does not have to employ rush and drop ends (strong and weak) - Patriots for instance simply employ right and left ends, thus no keystone cops caused by pre-snap shifts

The OTR

point is..as much as anyone of us loved Bobby P, and as far as him being a "football genius", well he was not a football genius in regard to oversight of his defensive staff

zebradynasty

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on March 09, 2017, 09:42:44 am
I know everyone talks about the lack of speed on last year's D... but I think the real culprit was just having guys not knowing what to do.  Sure, Brooks Ellis not being able to catch a guy at the corner hurt a time or two, but where was the help? 

This switch to the 3-4 is much discussed, but can the guys execute regardless of the scheme?

Makes you wonder though that if it was a case of the players not understanding their position then they should have been getting better as the year went. That wasn't the case also I would bet most of the kids that played defense in high school played a 4-3 (albeit a lot simpler) so the adjustment should not have taken so long. I can understand some issues early on but toward the end we should have been much better.

Besides our issues on defense had a much more fundamental problem. We couldn't shed blocks, we couldn't tackle and we took horrible pursuit angles to the bail in ADDITION to being  lost and out of position and not very fast.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 09:57:45 am
I know it was 4-3

4-3 does not have to employ rush and drop ends (strong and weak) - Patriots for instance simply employ right and left ends, thus no keystone cops caused by pre-snap shifts

I was just explaining why they were flipping the ends.
Go Hogs Go!

code red

I don't think the issue is scheme.  The issue is.  This will not be tested with "fire" until September.  There are some positives to the 3-4...there are some negatives.  If a difference is made it will be because of coaching not scheme.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

zebradynasty

Quote from: code red on March 09, 2017, 10:40:47 am
I don't think the issue is scheme.  The issue is.  This will not be tested with "fire" until September.  There are some positives to the 3-4...there are some negatives.  If a difference is made it will be because of coaching not scheme.

There were lesser opponents that exposed our defensive weaknesses. They just didn't have quite enough talent to capitalized on it. I agree I'm not totally on board that a new scheme will solve our defensive problems.

FANONTHEHILL

Thanks for the post Muskogee.  You can!tell that this guy is a Dick LaBeau disciple and that's a good thing.  I hope that Coach Rhoads brings in these concepts. 

As far as the conversation that you guys had above about the scheme and Brooks Ellis, I want to add a couple things to the great points already made.  You've got to know your players. Brooks had 40 at the combine that was not great, but serviceable.  His shuttle and cone times were excellent.  He had no business chasing slot receivers sideline to sideline.  He's an in the box MLB/ILB and never was able to play his true position.  Add to that the fact he wasn't even an MLB because they didn't even run a 4-3 95% of the time.  An LB in a 4-2-5 is required to be even more mobile outside the box.  It wasn't fair to
Brooks.  It will be exciting to see the concepts that Rhoads installs this spring.

Thanks for a great original topic and post.  Nice to actually football conversations.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 09, 2017, 10:14:27 am
Makes you wonder though that if it was a case of the players not understanding their position then they should have been getting better as the year went. That wasn't the case also I would bet most of the kids that played defense in high school played a 4-3 (albeit a lot simpler) so the adjustment should not have taken so long. I can understand some issues early on but toward the end we should have been much better.

Besides our issues on defense had a much more fundamental problem. We couldn't shed blocks, we couldn't tackle and we took horrible pursuit angles to the bail in ADDITION to being  lost and out of position and not very fast.

I imagine if you had to pick from reasons A, B, or C, it's a case of D) All of the above. 

The OTR

My guess on LB depth:

Mike LB - Giovanni LaFrance, Khalia Hackett, Josh Harris

Weak ILB - Dre Greenlaw, De'Andre Coley, Derrick Munson

OLB - Dwayne Eugene, Alexy Jean-Baptist, Hackett?

OLB - Randy Ramsey, De'Jon Harris, ?

The OTR

wonder if Juan Day would want to try linebacker?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 11:36:26 am
My guess on LB depth:

Mike Taylor the transfer from Riverside in California has been getting reps at strong side LB in drills and field work as well. 6'3", 245 and great motor.  Definelty will have an impact.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

The OTR

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 09, 2017, 01:21:27 pm
Mike Taylor the transfer from Riverside in California has been getting reps at strong side LB in drills and field work as well. 6'3", 245 and great motor.  Definelty will have an impact.

Nice

can he run?

RebelW

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 11:36:26 am
My guess on LB depth:

Munson will play safety

RebelW

The OTR

The OTR

RebelW

Taylor II, Ramsey, Roesler, Gabe Richardson,  will be your prototype OLB/DE hybrid

RebelW

The OTR

RebelW

The OTR

Quote from: RebelW on March 09, 2017, 02:23:14 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/oct/07/safety-commit-derrick-munson-joins-recruiting-thur/
His body type will be a hard hitting safety.

so was this guy's "body type"

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/37517

like I said, we shall see - save this thread and either you will owe me a beer or I'll owe you a beer  :D

I say he'll be lining up at weakside inside linebacker

RebelW

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 02:28:48 pm
so was this guy's "body type"

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/37517

like I said, we shall see - save this thread and either you will owe me a beer or I'll owe you a beer  :D

I say he'll be lining up at weakside inside linebacker
Sounds like a friendly wager!

31to6

I don't think he was lost. I think he was very vulnerable to mismatches because the scheme asked him to do things he was not physically capable of, but we needed him on the field as one of our most experienced and intelligent players to set the defense.

LA Tech exposed his physical limitations and several teams followed suit. Sumlin flat-out abused him in the second half of the A&M game.

Not his fault. He was smart enough to get every ounce out of his god-given talent, and more. He just flat out couldn't match up against elite athletes in space.

Seeing what Trevor Knight ran at the combine makes me feel a bit differently about that game. The coaches deserve even MORE blame than I originally assigned :P

I agree Brooks could have excelled in the middle of a 3-4.

The OTR

Quote from: RebelW on March 09, 2017, 02:56:26 pm
Sounds like a friendly wager!

if you're old enough to drink  :D

Montaric Brown and Kamryn Curl will be the true freshmen with chances to get big playing time at safety

FANONTHEHILL

March 09, 2017, 03:13:31 pm #40 Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:13:27 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 01:43:11 pm
Nice

can he run?

He was a 4.6 guy out of Riverside.  Ironically, the duo that recruited him here was Segrest and Rob Smith.  Legit 6'4" and athletic. 

RebelW

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 03:06:55 pm
if you're old enough to drink  :D

Montaric Brown and Kamryn Curl will be the true freshmen with chances to get big playing time at safety
lets just say, I don't get carded much anymore, lol kind of depressing!
And I agree on them having the highest chance to play early! I believe Munson will redshirt and will play safety or nickel

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: code red on March 09, 2017, 10:40:47 am

The negatives may be that we have never played it before but anything that makes us less predictable than we were in the 4-3 under Robb Smith and allows us the opportunity to bring pressure in multiple and less predictable ways, has to be of great benefit to us. I worry more about the coverage packages and the check-offs and everyone being able to learn and know everything so instinctively, that they just react instead of hesitating and having to think about it.

Make no mistake there will be times when someone misses an assignment or doesn't execute well and our opponent will get a big play out of it, but if these kids will just recover and stick to the plan, this is a good defense that should pay us dividends. I like the fact that it requires an opposing QB to have to hesitate and think at times when he should be doing something else. This gives the Spread-Read-Option type of offense a taste of their own medicine to a degree.
Go Hogs Go!

The OTR

March 09, 2017, 04:17:08 pm #43 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:55:55 pm by Pillowhead Jackson
Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 09, 2017, 03:13:31 pm
He was a 4.6 guy out of Riverside.  Ironically, the duo that recruited him here was Segrest and Rob Smith.  Legit 6'4" and athletic.  Here he is with my little one at the banquet last December.

Mike LB - Giovanni LaFrance, Kahlia Hackett, Alexy Jean-Baptist, Tyler Phillips

Weak ILB - Dre Greenlaw, De'Andre Coley, Dee Walker, Derrick Munson

OLB - Dwayne Eugene, Michael Taylor II, Josh Harris

OLB - Randy Ramsey, De'Jon Harris, Kyrei Fisher

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 09, 2017, 04:17:08 pm
Mike LB - Giovanni LaFrance, Kahlia Hackett, Michael Taylor II, Tyler Phillips

Weak ILB - Dre Greenlaw, De'Andre Coley, Dee Walker, Derrick Munson

OLB - Dwayne Eugene, Alexy Jean-Baptist, Josh Harris

OLB - Randy Ramsey, De'Jon Harris, Kyrei Fisher

Can't we figure out some combination that would have De'Andre, De'Jon, Dee and Derrick on the field at the same time?  They could be the Killer Ds.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 09, 2017, 03:13:31 pm
He was a 4.6 guy out of Riverside.  Ironically, the duo that recruited him here was Segrest and Rob Smith.  Legit 6'4" and athletic. 

If that is the case I would think he would certainly fit the mold of what that Coach in the video described as an OLB in the 3-4. The question is, is he big enough that it will force opponents to fan out their OT's to take him on rather than trusting their RB's to be able to block him?
Go Hogs Go!

longpig

First thing that came to mind with me too.  We do have some guys that look the part, though.
Don't be scared, be smart.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 10, 2017, 06:34:38 am
If that is the case I would think he would certainly fit the mold of what that Coach in the video described as an OLB in the 3-4. The question is, is he big enough that it will force opponents to fan out their OT's to take him on rather than trusting their RB's to be able to block him?
I think one if the pros of having Mike at strong side OLB is his experience at DE and the ability to take on blockers. He gave the tackles fits last year while on scout team.  He would be excellent against the run, but as a DE he hasn't been out in coverage much at all.  The zone concepts in the videos above would definitely benefit him in the learning process.

FANONTHEHILL

Another player to remember that a lot of folks aren't talking about is one of Taylor's JC teammates at Riverside.  He will come in and see time immediately.  JC All American Melvin Johnson.  The article is from December before he signed.  Solid player.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-dl-target-melvin-johnson-named-junior-college-american/amp

longpig

Quote from: RebelW on March 09, 2017, 02:02:20 pm
Taylor II, Ramsey, Roesler, Gabe Richardson,  will be your prototype OLB/DE hybrid

Won't be surprised if Roesler moves to Middle and does very well.  Reason being he's salty and is the guy players go to with questions, as is Richardson in the back, and he may lack the ranginess the hybrid outside requires.
Don't be scared, be smart.