Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'd hate to be Bruce Pearl right now

Started by lynbug, March 08, 2017, 10:49:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 09, 2017, 11:01:56 am
Is that what we've come to instead of just expecting to reach a similar level of competitiveness since of 30 years after the fact?
Pretty sure he was joking.

Hawg Red

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 09, 2017, 12:55:57 am
I'm had thought that the last 2 season as well. I'm starting to wonder if Pearl just isn't as good as I thought he was.

How much evidence is there for microwave rebuilds in comparison to prolonged examples?

Changing a mindset from being a losing one to a winning one is the hardest thing to do in sports. It takes TIME. You have to validate your positive results in the minds of the players before they believe, and they have to believe before they fully buy in.

People point to Mike White as a successful hire. White didn't have to change a culture. The expectation to win was already present in the mindsets of his players the first time they practiced. All that was left was to not screw it up until the kids learned his system well enough to excel in it.

Switch White and Pearl and I think you would still believe Pearl knows how to coach.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 09, 2017, 11:20:58 am

Switch White and Pearl and I think you would still believe Pearl knows how to coach.

Yeah, but Pearl was hired with the reputation of being a quick turnaround guy.  Whether it's fair or not, I think Auburn folks expected him to have done better by now.  (Although I think that says more about Auburn than Pearl)

As an aside, you're on, ShadowHawg.  Point-counterpoint today in Jump Ball.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 09, 2017, 11:26:05 am
Yeah, but Pearl was hired with the reputation of being a quick turnaround guy.  Whether it's fair or not, I think Auburn folks expected him to have done better by now.  (Although I think that says more about Auburn than Pearl)

I agree about the perception surrounding his hire completely and how it seems to be going.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 09, 2017, 11:26:05 am

Agree that it says more about Auburn than Pearl.
Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, etc just seemingly don't 'get' basketball. They go through the motions, build arenas, hire/fire coaches but there seemingly is just too much 'football' engrained at those places for something else to take off. That's my only explanation. They sure do recruit well at times. Just never seem to sustain any success. Only temporary.

Having said that, I wouldn't want Pearl here. Too much baggage. You know what they say, a leopard can't change his spots. Before what happened at Tenn, there was the controversy long ago when he turned Illinois into the NCAA over the recruitment of a high-profile player in the late 80s. He was known as a snitch, not because he was turning people in, but was considered fairly 'dirty' himself. He wasn't liked too much in the coaching profession, maybe still isn't.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 09, 2017, 12:00:54 pm
Agree that it says more about Auburn than Pearl.
Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, etc just seemingly don't 'get' basketball. They go through the motions, build arenas, hire/fire coaches but there seemingly is just too much 'football' engrained at those places for something else to take off. That's my only explanation. They sure do recruit well at times. Just never seem to sustain any success. Only temporary.

From another thread...

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 09, 2017, 08:39:18 am
There are just too many schools in the SEC where basketball will always be behind football, spring football, and national signing day when it comes to fan interest.  Sure, some of these schools will have the occasional group that gets their fanbase mildly excited, but then those guys leave and the interest dies down.  I'd put Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, the two Mississippi schools and A&M in that category.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 09, 2017, 12:00:54 pm
Having said that, I wouldn't want Pearl here. Too much baggage. You know what they say, a leopard can't change his spots. Before what happened at Tenn, there was the controversy long ago when he turned Illinois into the NCAA over the recruitment of a high-profile player in the late 80s. He was known as a snitch, not because he was turning people in, but was considered fairly 'dirty' himself. He wasn't liked too much in the coaching profession, maybe still isn't.

I think he and Kelvin Sampson are twin sons from different mothers.  Very similar careers.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: lynbug on March 08, 2017, 10:49:55 pm
I bet he's wishing he was somewhere else.
He should be fired affective immediately! The nerve of him to lose to Missouri!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 09, 2017, 12:57:40 pm
He should be fired affective immediately! The nerve of him to lose to Missouri!

Just gotta give him time to get in his players to play they way he wants to play. 3 years is only maybe 35-40% of the time needed. I hear his 2021 recruiting class is outstanding, need to at least let him get those guys in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2017, 02:15:08 pm
Just gotta give him time to get in his players to play they way he wants to play. 3 years is only maybe 35-40% of the time needed. I hear his 2021 recruiting class is outstanding, need to at least let him get those guys in.
Lol, we're finally on the same page ;D.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 09, 2017, 02:19:52 pm
Lol, we're finally on the same page ;D.

yes I am pretty sure we were both being sarcastic.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 09, 2017, 10:37:36 am
Two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 in a 4 year period doesn't sound awesome to you? NCAA tournament all 6 years. If you count his time at Milwaukee, he went to three Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 in a 6 year period. Sign me up for success like that.
Mike went to the tourney 6 out of 8 years with one Elite 8, and 1 sweet 16. That's with switching schools.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on March 09, 2017, 02:40:56 pm
Mike went to the tourney 6 out of 8 years with one Elite 8, and 1 sweet 16. That's with switching schools.

So in a 6 year span at 2 schools, Pearl went to 3 sweet 16's and that included switching schools, but somehow that's not as good as going to 1 sweet 16 and 1 elite in 8 years, which included switching schools?

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2017, 02:54:13 pm
So in a 6 year span at 2 schools, Pearl went to 3 sweet 16's and that included switching schools, but somehow that's not as good as going to 1 sweet 16 and 1 elite in 8 years, which included switching schools?
You love to debate huh? Or is it just a Mike thing :-\?

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on March 09, 2017, 02:40:56 pm

We didn't get any of that. What he did at UAB and Missouri did nothing for my Arkansas Razorback fan desires. The statement still stands.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PonderinHog