Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colorado State

Started by The_Iceman, March 08, 2017, 02:40:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 03:45:31 pm
Petrino averaged 8.5 wins a season. He did so with one of the best crop of in state talent we have seen, including a 5-star QB tailor made for his system, as well as Tyler Wilson.

Do you think his success would have continued at the 10 win rate, when considering his recruiting classes the two years prior to him being fired? QB talent and WR talent were about to take a huge hit, along with OL and Defense.

If Petrino would have stayed, he would be sitting right now like every other Razorback coach, averaging around 8 wins with a surge year here and there.
so when does CBB start averaging that number? Where is his surge?
This is fun, isn't it.

scooby21322

So, the news reports aren't clear.  I know this satisfies the P5 requirement for 2018...but does it also satisfy the 2019 requirement? 

factchecker

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 03:50:21 pm
I know my opinion doesn't matter. At least I'm not here making excuses everyday.

Your opinion doesn't matter.  You are a NON-CONTRIBUTOR.  The only "support" you show is the constant complaining on message boards and maybe the occasional t-shirt.  You don't matter t-shirt fan.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The_Iceman

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 04:03:01 pm
so when does CBB start averaging that number? Where is his surge?

He is averaging 7.3 wins a year in the last 3 years. This year is set up to be that surge year.

Keep in mind, Bret Bielema faces on average more ranked teams per season than Nutt or Petrino. The SEC West is better than it was even a few years ago, top to bottom.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 04:10:26 pm
two very dooshy comments. Stay classy razorback fan.
Well at least I suspect he actually knows what classy means. You've yet to even find it in the dictionary.

Atlhogfan1

Not marquee but competitive opponent on short notice.  Didn't read close enough but I'm assuming this won't be week 1 since CSU has been playing CU to open the season. Should be a good atmosphere with CSU hosting an SEC team in their new stadium.  Great reason to do some hiking in RMNP too in beautiful September weather.  Easy to get to with the Denver airport just down the interstate.  Again, I know it isn't a "name" opponent but this will be a good trip for the fans. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 08, 2017, 03:35:21 pm
It is what it is.  So we can all B about it or look at the bright side.

Fort Collins is 840 miles from Fayetteville according to Google maps.  Hour to hour and a half north of Denver.  Elevation is around 5,500 feet.

A RT ticket from XNA to Denver in September is running about $500, but everywhere is high from XNA (gouging bast*****).  Tulsa to Denver $250 and that's a nonstop flight.  LR to Denver can be had for around $300.  Didn't bother checking Southwest or other discounters, but $300 is not bad.  LR to Atlanta if we were say playing GA Tech would be $350.

Fort Collins population is about 150k making it larger than Fayetteville.  Colorado State has an enrollment around 33,000.  Founded in 1870 as a land grant institution (sounds familiar).  Campus looks beautiful as does the city. 

They are building a new football stadium set for completion this fall.  It's on the small side at 41,000 seats, but will basically still be brand new when we play there in 2018. 

CSU has some SEC ties with FL coach Jim McElwain having coached there and former GA QB Mike Bobo is the current HC.  If you have been following CFB for awhile you know Sonny Lubick had a decent run at CSU, coaching the Rams for 15 years with 4 10 win seasons and trips to 9 bowl games.

McElwain was only there for 3 seasons but improved each year with 10 wins his final year.  Mike Bobo has put together back to back 7-6 seasons.

If I had to guess I'd bet their bar/party/night life scene is as good as any other SEC city and probably better than many.  Honestly if you were going to spend some coin going to an away SEC game in 2018 I'd say save it for another year and go to Fort Collins instead.  SEC towns aren't going anywhere, have been to plenty of them already.  Would a Texas school have offer anything we haven't seen before?  OSU or OU may play better football but I've heard Norman and Stillwater are nothing special.

http://www.visitftcollins.com/things-to-do/discover-old-town/

So we get a road game in a nice place against a decent program with a nice chance of winning the game.  Should make for a great long weekend trip.

Great post. This is a wonderful and affordable opportunity to travel to a non-sec game in a beautiful part of the country.

LRRandy

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 04:11:25 pm
He is averaging 7.3 wins a year in the last 3 years. This year is set up to be that surge year.

Keep in mind, Bret Bielema faces on average more ranked teams per season than Nutt or Petrino. The SEC West is better than it was even a few years ago, top to bottom.
but the real number is 6.25 wins a year  over 4 years. I hope this is a surge year. The year over year improvement his first three years gave reason to hope. The stubbed toe that was last season needs to be wiped from the memory with a good year.
This is fun, isn't it.

factchecker

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 04:10:26 pm
two very dooshy comments. Stay classy razorback fan.

Yay..... the standard stay classy remark from a "doosh" bucknut fan who is posting on a Razorback fan board.

I'm sure I'll take classy tips from a fanbase who wears jerseys to games.  Grown men wearing college kids jerseys..... classy.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hollywood870

Quote from: factchecker on March 08, 2017, 04:04:50 pm
Your opinion doesn't matter.  You are a NON-CONTRIBUTOR.  The only "support" you show is the constant complaining on message boards and maybe the occasional t-shirt.  You don't matter t-shirt fan.
I don't own any Razorback Tee-Shirts anymore thank you. I went to school at ASU, Eacc, and Crowley's Ridge. I'm just an Arkansan. Been a fan since I could walk. I admitted my opinion doesn't matter. And I wasn't "constantly complaining" when Hatfield and Petrino were knocking out 10-11 win seasons. I'm just speaking the truth. Maybe you don't matter as much as you think you do, an enabler of mediocrity.

LRRandy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 08, 2017, 04:13:53 pm
Well at least I suspect he actually knows what classy means. You've yet to even find it in the dictionary.
well I know he knows what mediocre is. As do you.
This is fun, isn't it.

factchecker

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 04:18:19 pm
I don't own any Razorback Tee-Shirts anymore thank you. I went to school at ASU, Eacc, and Crowley's Ridge. I'm just an Arkansan. Been a fan since I could walk. I admitted my opinion doesn't matter. And I wasn't "constantly complaining" when Hatfield and Petrino were knocking out 10-11 win seasons. I'm just speaking the truth. Maybe you don't matter as much as you think you do, an enabler of mediocrity.

You don't have to be a Razorback fan because you fell out of your mom in Arkansas.  jonesboro needs help filling up their high school stadium.... I'm sure they will take you in over there.

I don't enable mediocrity.  I support my alma mater.  THE University of Arkansas.

Pro-tip:  You don't need to claim all the community colleges you attended.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 04:18:33 pm
Sure I know the meaning of medicore......thy name is LRRandy. Oh yeah, one other thing:at least I do know the meaning of class; for your edification it does NOT mean crass which you obviously mistook when consulting your syllabus.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 04:18:19 pm
Just curious: with all your transferring around did you actually earn any credits or did you just drink up all the beer in town?

factchecker

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 04:18:33 pm

Please tell me you at least graduated from Ohio State or grew up in Ohio.  How pathetic would it be if you have zero connection to the university you support.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: factchecker on March 08, 2017, 04:24:43 pm
Please tell me you at least graduated from Ohio State or grew up in Ohio.  How pathetic would it be if you have zero connection to the university you support.
Ah yes, now I remember.....ole LRRandy the Art Briles of tOSU.

Hollywood870

Quote from: factchecker on March 08, 2017, 04:22:09 pm
You don't have to be a Razorback fan because you fell out of your mom in Arkansas.  jonesboro needs help filling up their high school stadium.... I'm sure they will take you in over there.

I don't enable mediocrity.  I support my alma mater.  THE University of Arkansas.

Pro-tip:  You don't need to claim all the community colleges you attended.
Why not claim them? I'm sure I've learned how to do things that you can't do. Pro-Tip. I'm just a poor welder, wiping my ass with $100 bills.

FANONTHEHILL

Last summer the Athletes in Action Ultimate Training Camp was at the Colorado State campus.  Cody Hollister, Rafe Peavey, Dwayne Eugene, Conner McPherson, Austin Allen, Toby Baker, Kevin Richardson, and Cooper Sone went representing the Razorback football team.  Several other Razorbacks from other sports went as well.  All the kids I've talked to raved about Ft. Collins, the new stadium being built and how beautiful the area is.  This is going to be a great trip.  I'll admit, I wanted to see my son in a Razorback uniform in The Big House against Michigan.  Finding an opponent with such short notice is next to impossible.  This will be a good trip for fans.  If you're not happy and want to be mad at someone, be mad at Michigan.  This is a good resolution to a very tough situation. 

As far as the $2 million we got from Michigan, I imagine a portion of that is going to whomever Colorado State just voided their contract with.  When a team like Michigan cancels this late, lots of dominos start falling on people's schedules.  I'm just glad Arkansas has a set schedule for 2018 now.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 04:26:05 pm
Why not claim them? I'm sure I've learned how to do things that you can't do. Pro-Tip. I'm just a poor welder, wiping my ass with $100 bills.
Well that's speaks a TON about your intelligence.....as rich as "The Oracle of Omaha" is (that'd be Warren Buffett for your education), wealth well into the billions, he doesn't waste money like that. Real intelligent that.

factchecker

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 04:26:05 pm

Why would you wipe your butt with $100 bills.   Just use them to dry your tears.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hollywood870

Quote from: factchecker on March 08, 2017, 04:29:43 pm
Why would you wipe your butt with $100 bills.   Just use them to dry your tears.

Well, I guess I pride myself on keeping a clean ass as well.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: factchecker on March 08, 2017, 04:29:43 pm

Who says he doesn't AFTER he uses them for the "john" ??? After all when you're so rich you certainly want to get your money's worth.

factchecker

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 04:31:05 pm
Well, I guess I pride myself on keeping a clean ass as well.

That's what they make this for:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TNRazorbacker

Beats getting yet another nationally televised pounding at the hands of Michigan. I was personally glad to see that go. This one should be much more manageable.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 03:49:01 pm
Petrino took 2 seasons to get it built and then had us rolling. Why do people keep arguing this? Just forget it. We have the ingredients for a vey good team next year. We'll see how they coach em up.

By rolling, you mean beating/struggling to beat the bad to good teams and losing to all the really good teams? Ya he had us ranked higher than we should have been but I know you Petrino huggers dont care about anything but wins and rankings. I would rather be lower ranked and able to beat a really good team than a highly ranked cupcake for the really good teams. Those of you complaining about who we scheduled are the people that complain about everything anyway. You will mock/criticize everything until CBB is fired or quits. You guys are even making darn up just to get your cry on lol.

Lost to Alabama 38-14 (that's a 24 point loss in year 3)
Lost To LSU 41-17 (that's a 24 point loss in year 3)
Barely beat a 6-6 aTm 42-38
Barely beat a 6-6 Vanderbilt 31-28
Barely beat a 3-9 Troy team 38-28
Barely beat a 2-10 Ole Miss 29-24
Beat a 7-5 Auburn pretty soundly
Beat a 10-2 South Carolina by 16 points (Great Win)
Beat a 5-7 Tennessee soundly
Beat a 6-6 MSU soundly

Petrino had nice records here, but damn near blew plenty of the games that should have been easy to win. Your definition of hammering ass is funny.

gchamblee

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 04:16:45 pm
but the real number is 6.25 wins a year  over 4 years. I hope this is a surge year. The year over year improvement his first three years gave reason to hope. The stubbed toe that was last season needs to be wiped from the memory with a good year.

Anyone that counts that first year against him is pushing an obvious agenda.

BayofPigs

Fantastic matchup! No complaints from me

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: factchecker on March 08, 2017, 04:22:09 pm
You don't have to be a Razorback fan because you fell out of your mom in Arkansas. 

Made me laugh.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 08, 2017, 04:29:12 pm
Well that's speaks a TON about your intelligence.....as rich as "The Oracle of Omaha" is (that'd be Warren Buffett for your education), wealth well into the billions, he doesn't waste money like that. Real intelligent that.
You may find this hard to believe, but I was actually being sarcastic about wiping my ass with $100 bills.

lumphog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 08, 2017, 02:53:14 pm
I've seen it raining fire in the sky.
Ohhhh, they got that FIRE    ;)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 08, 2017, 05:12:05 pm
You may find this hard to believe, but I was actually being sarcastic about wiping my ass with $100 bills.
No kidding.........who'd thunk it?

LRRandy

Quote from: factchecker on March 08, 2017, 04:24:43 pm
lots of connections. Because you donate a few thousand dollars a year and buy tickets to game of the school I'm guessing you graduated from makes you better than others? I've lived in Arkansas for almost 30 years. I have  observed a singular passion for Razorback athletics that is as strong as any program in the country has. Most of those passionate fans never attended a class at the university or donated a $ to the foundation. The people that I have been honored to get to know have a kindness about them and don't insult people or belittle them based on socioeconomic status. I'm guessing the bitterness and anger stems from the realization of the money that you throw away supporting a chronically mediocre football team. You have to make yourself feel better and superior to others because you have the means ( or the debt) to throw that money away. Just an observation.
This is fun, isn't it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 05:45:58 pm
lots of connections. Because you donate a few thousand dollars a year and buy tickets to game of the school I'm guessing you graduated from makes you better than others? I've lived in Arkansas for almost 30 years. I have  observed a singular passion for Razorback athletics that is as strong as any program in the country has. Most of those passionate fans never attended a class at the university or donated a $ to the foundation. The people that I have been honored to get to know have a kindness about them and don't insult people or belittle them based on socioeconomic status. I'm guessing the bitterness and anger stems from the realization of the money that you throw away supporting a chronically mediocre football team. You have to make yourself feel better and superior to others because you have the means ( or the debt) to throw that money away. Just an observation.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you a while ago when I called you the "Art Briles of tOSU". I obviously should have included "Jerry Sandusky" in that description as well. Please accept my apology for the oversight.

factchecker

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 05:45:58 pm

I'm a proud alumnus of the University of Arkansas.  Blessed enough to be a RF member and season ticket holder.

I don't believe you have to attend games or donate to be a fan.  Some people have economic and physical hardships that keep them from doing so.  However, incessant bitching without contributing is similar to complaining about the roads without paying taxes.  The poster I replied to does nothing but complain.  If he can complain about the program and positive fans then I can belittle him for not being a contributor.  If you bitch then you better have thick skin.

ADD:  What are your connections to Ohio State school of Columbus?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Murr

Dumbasses we can get high af up there legally. 

John Snow

Shows how little respect Jeff Long gets from the Power 5 schools struggling to schedule a decent D1 non conference football game for the next couple of years. Time for a new athletic Director who isn't wimp and will show respect  for Little Rock and the rest of the state not just Northwest Arkansas.

hog19911

Quote from: gchamblee on March 08, 2017, 04:39:08 pm
By rolling, you mean beating/struggling to beat the bad to good teams and losing to all the really good teams? Ya he had us ranked higher than we should have been but I know you Petrino huggers dont care about anything but wins and rankings. I would rather be lower ranked and able to beat a really good team than a highly ranked cupcake for the really good teams. Those of you complaining about who we scheduled are the people that complain about everything anyway. You will mock/criticize everything until CBB is fired or quits. You guys are even making darn up just to get your cry on lol.

Beat a 6-6 MSU soundly

Petrino had nice records here, but damn near blew plenty of the games that should have been easy to win. Your definition of hammering ass is funny.
Almost losing games you should win is better than actually losing them. We didn't lose to teams like Rutgers, Toledo, T Tech and Mizzou. Heck, if the hogs hadn't barely beat two 5 win teams this year in TCU and Ole Miss there would have been no bowl game in year 4.

And yea, under Petrino we got blown out a few times. And that sucked, but still easier to stomach blowout losses to the national champs vs the worse loss in school history to an average 8 win Auburn team.

You may not be impressed with what Petrino did while he was here but it was certainly better than what we've gotten from Bielema. Im pulling for BB, but it's year 5 and  time to do better than 7-6.

factchecker

Quote from: hog19911 on March 08, 2017, 06:09:55 pm
Heck, if the hogs hadn't barely beat two 5 win teams this year in TCU and Ole Miss there would have been no bowl game in year 4.

TCU won 6 games this past season.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/698/index.html
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: John Snow on March 08, 2017, 06:07:02 pm
Shows how little respect Jeff Long gets from the Power 5 schools struggling to schedule a decent D1 non conference football game for the next couple of years. Time for a new athletic Director who isn't wimp and will show respect  for Little Rock and the rest of the state not just Northwest Arkansas.

Jeff Long can leave tomorrow and we are still going to be finished playing games in Little Rock.

You better hope UALR starts up a team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hog19911

jcbville

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 08, 2017, 03:43:36 pm
The administration didn't tweet out anything about a big non conference home and home game being scheduled.  A reporter did.

Well here's a fine example of modern journalism at its best.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 08, 2017, 02:46:02 pm
that's pathetic

Not a great matchup, but that is beautiful country.

hobhog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 08, 2017, 03:57:33 pm
SO lame... Thanks for the letdown

^^^^^Been awake for days in anticipation^^^^

I hate Michigan

a0ashle

Quote from: Murr on March 08, 2017, 06:06:34 pm
Dumbasses we can get high af up there legally.

And your liquor budget will go a lot further if that's more your style.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: scooby21322 on March 08, 2017, 04:04:20 pm
So, the news reports aren't clear.  I know this satisfies the P5 requirement for 2018...but does it also satisfy the 2019 requirement? 

CSU is not in a P5 conference.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 08, 2017, 06:46:36 pm
CSU is not in a P5 conference.

He didn't say they were, with the SEC waiver, it satisfies the P5 requirement for those two years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: John Snow on March 08, 2017, 06:07:02 pm

Agenda.........John Snow is thy name.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Letsroll1200

Quote from: gchamblee on March 08, 2017, 04:39:08 pm

Beat a 6-6 MSU soundly

I would take some barely wins over Bret losing any day.