Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Johnny Jones

Started by Rock City Razorback, March 07, 2017, 04:35:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock City Razorback

Out at LSU after SEC tourney. Wonder if they have someone in mind or just aren't happy why the results? I'd figure it'd be the latter after he had the top pick in the draft last year and still couldn't do much, plus another bad year.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 07, 2017, 04:35:55 pm
Wonder if they have someone in mind or just aren't happy why the results?

I'd say the fact that he's proven himself to be an embarrassingly bad coach might have something to do with it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ShadowHawg

Out at LSU after SEC tourney. Wonder if they have someone in mind or just aren't happy why the results? I'd figure it'd be the latter after he had the top pick in the draft last year and still couldn't do much, plus another bad year.

I have always worried about LSU.

If they ever hire a good coach, they will be a juggernaut. Maybe even more than football, that state is loaded with talent.

They went to the final 4 with John Brady as their coach. Think about that. What's more amazing is that all 5 starters on that team went to high school within a 30 mile radius of the LSU campus!!!!!

Let's just pray they screw it up as usual.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 07, 2017, 04:44:50 pm

If they ever hire a good coach, they will be a juggernaut. Maybe even more than football, that state is loaded with talent.

They went to the final 4 with John Brady as their coach. Think about that. What's more amazing is that all 5 starters on that team went to high school within a 30 mile radius of the LSU campus!!!!!

Yeah but it's LSU.  They aren't setting the world on fire with coaching hires until they get a new AD. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

dawn2tusk

I disagree.  I hope they hire a good coach.  This isn't football where if we can't beat LSU than we can't get in the tournament.  We need good teams in our conference.  Plus I like where we're headed with the players coming in.  Bring on the competition.

The_Iceman

They have squandered some really good talent at LSU over the last 5 seasons with Jones as coach.

cityhog

I want LSU to suck at everything - all the time.

MtPorker

They are going after Kermit Davis.

Birminghog

They hired John Brady because he beat them when he was the coach at Samford. That, and Brady took Samford to the dance. Still, not the best hire.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: MtPorker on March 07, 2017, 05:04:22 pm
They are going after Kermit Davis.

Not a bad choice.  Stansbury could probably do well there too.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bythelake

They offered les miles, but he turned it down because there is no grass to eat on a basketball court.

Hawg Red

Early returns say Stansbury won't land at LSU. They're supposedly going after some "big names."

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 07, 2017, 06:08:43 pm
Early returns say Stansbury won't land at LSU. They're supposedly going after some "big names."

And once they whiff at all those because no coach with a future wants a part of that dysfunctional department....Davis makes the most sense, Stans wouldn't be a bad plan B.  Guy can cruit like his name is Hugh Freeze.

Breems

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 07, 2017, 04:43:59 pm
I'd say the fact that he's proven himself to be an embarrassingly bad coach might have something to do with it.

If you want proof of it not just being the Jimmy's and Joe's, look no further than Johnny Jones. Man, that guy is an awful, awful coach.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

sowmonella

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 07, 2017, 06:08:43 pm

The same was said about their Football Coaching search and they ended up with Coach Sling Blade.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Raymond Zorback

Quote from: dawn2tusk on March 07, 2017, 04:50:36 pm
I disagree.  I hope they hire a good coach.  This isn't football where if we can't beat LSU than we can't get in the tournament.  We need good teams in our conference.  Plus I like where we're headed with the players coming in.  Bring on the competition.

I'm in this camp as well, I would rather have more good teams in the conference instead of RPI-killer land mines like LSU and Mizzou this year.
You can call me Ray.

Razorod

Two names that I wouldn't be surprised to see in the mix:

Kermit Davis, MTSU
Eric Musselman, Nevada
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

rude1

You had to know this was coming, seems like a nice respectable guy, but has been the poster child of doing less with more in his time there.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Raymond Zorback on March 07, 2017, 06:37:08 pm
I'm in this camp as well, I would rather have more good teams in the conference instead of RPI-killer land mines like LSU and Mizzou this year.

Rising tide lifts all boats.  Need to get back to the point where 20-10 in the SEC gets you in.  Tired of seeing teams that finish barely over .500 get in from other leagues primarily off the leagues rep. 

Youngsta71701

Wonder if they have someone in mind or just aren't happy why the results? I'd figure it'd be the latter after he had the top pick in the draft last year and still couldn't do much, plus another bad year.
Results orientated business. Win or go home.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

BRHogfan

He won an SEC game in January and one in March.  Of course he got fired.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Breems on March 07, 2017, 06:22:42 pm
If you want proof of it not just being the Jimmy's and Joe's, look no further than Johnny Jones. Man, that guy is an awful, awful coach.

Youngsta71701

Had the #1 player in the country to go along with Antonio Blakeley and still didn't make the NCAA tournament. It's hard to be that bad of a coach. You have to work hard to be that bad of a coach.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

GuvHog

Once he kicked his best player off of the team earlier this season, he was done.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 07, 2017, 05:23:44 pm
Not a bad choice.  Stansbury could probably do well there too.

Would Stansbury or Gottfried be someone they look at?

Kermit Davis would be an excellent choice for them. Very solid coach.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 09:03:13 am
Would Stansbury or Gottfried be someone they look at?

Kermit Davis would be an excellent choice for them. Very solid coach.

Hadn't thought about Gottfried.  He's got 20 years HC experience and is only 53.  I think it's interesting that the most successful recent hire in the SEC is Mike White with Bryce Drew having some potential as well, basically the two youngest least experienced guys.  LSU did not do too well with their last 2 "veteran" coaches so may be well served by looking at a high energy young guy.  I'd look for at least 4 years HC experience that had the team performing above his predecessor.  Example Mike White 4 years at La Tech was 50-16 in conference, the guy before him 20-44.

Adam Stokes

LSU is certainly a job where if you are a half-decent coach you can excel. Johnny pulled in Simmons and Blakeney, but besides that he hasn't pulled in anyone that a replacement couldn't have. He whiffed on the top 4 LA players in 2016 and didn't get a single 4-star for the whole class, though they have two for 2017.

Stansbury is also interesting because the top 2017 player from LA has committed to Western Kentucky, where Stansbury is coaching. While Stansbury was very mediocre at MSU, never advancing to the Sweet 16 despite making the tournament 6 times, they haven't finished a single season with a winning record since he left 5 years ago. That might say more to how well he was essentially able to do more with less, and how well he might do once he has more, which he would get at LSU.

yraciv

I don't see it. Louisiana is a football state, and LSU is a football school! Sure they've got a lot of people, but I can't remember many top prospects coming out of there lately. Since the 2014 class, Robert Williams is the only big time in state college player I've seen come out of Louisiana. The 2013 class had a couple good ones in Jerrel Martin "LSU landed" and Damian James "Vanderbilt", but it hasn't really been popping out many prospects. That and the facilities are mediocre.

Smithian

I'd hire Steve Forbes if I was LSU. Would come cheap from ETSU. Has been a top notch recruiter as an assistant all around the SEC and has won tons of games at the JUCO level and in his last couple seasons. It would not be a lauded hire by the media but you know he'll go and get the players and obviously he can do some coaching with his win-loss record, even at a lower level. The Tennessee baggage isn't pretty but you can get away with that at LSU or maybe Missouri.

Johnny Jones should have been fired for the mediocre season he produced with Ben Simmons on roster.

Slater

Forbes one of four guys listed this morning in regards to K-State likely opening
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 08, 2017, 07:54:09 am
He won an SEC game in January and one in March.  Of course he got fired.

Same can happen if a coach only wins two SEC games in the same month.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on March 08, 2017, 08:41:35 am
Once he kicked his best player off of the team earlier this season, he was done.

That was a bold move by Coach Jones

ShadowHawg

Quote from: yraciv on March 08, 2017, 11:11:55 am
I don't see it. Louisiana is a football state, and LSU is a football school! Sure they've got a lot of people, but I can't remember many top prospects coming out of there lately. Since the 2014 class, Robert Williams is the only big time in state college player I've seen come out of Louisiana. The 2013 class had a couple good ones in Jerrel Martin "LSU landed" and Damian James "Vanderbilt", but it hasn't really been popping out many prospects. That and the facilities are mediocre.

Even as a football school they have always had talent all over their back yard. They aren't ever going to be a one and done type school but with a coach that is willing to do work evaluating in state kids they would literally never lack for talent.

LSU has put more guys in the NBA than we have since we joined the SEC, but we are expecting our program to perform at a high level. Just wait until they finally hire the right guy.

Dominicanhog

Archie Miller for big bucks...

East TN HAWG

I first learned about Forbes being in play with LSU about a week ago.  The ETSU athletic director is trying to lock Forbes up three years.  He said privately that he had it done as long as LSU did not come knocking.   He specifically mentioned LSU, and this was long before Johnny was let go.   I suspected at that point LSU had already contacted about potential interest.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: rob99SS on March 08, 2017, 04:45:42 pm
I'm sorry, but I don't see what makes LSU a good job? Football, Baseball and gymnastics out draw basketball on a regular basis and that was during their tournament year a few years ago. Their gym is really outdated also, it's one of the worst in the SEC.

Its a matter of time before the SEC becomes a power in basketball.  Money and the network makes the SEC attractive. 

ShadowHawg

I'm sorry, but I don't see what makes LSU a good job? Football, Baseball and gymnastics out draw basketball on a regular basis and that was during their tournament year a few years ago. Their gym is really outdated also, it's one of the worst in the SEC.

Look at how empty the bud has been during our hard times.

It takes more than one tournament season once in a while to fill up a small arena.

All that they need is a coach capable of developing the in state kids and organizing the available talent into solid teams year in and year out.

They don't hurt for talent. They literally just need to bring in a good coach, not great coach, just a good one will do.

Inhogswetrust

Most schools outdraw in football. As far as their "gym" sur it's outdated but so are the ones at Bama, Georgia, MSU and Vandy. They do have a nice practice facility.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BRHogfan

Way to prove them right about you Johnny.

Alleva: "Johnny, you're gone after you lose in the first round of the SEC tournament"
Johnny: "But what if I win?"
Alleva: " Ha, yeah right"
Johnny: "I'll show him"

****27-point loss

Johnny: "I guess I'll just see myself out, then"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 08, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
Its a matter of time before the SEC becomes a power in basketball.  Money and the network makes the SEC attractive.

Respectfully disagree.  There are just too many schools in the SEC where basketball will always be behind football, spring football, and national signing day when it comes to fan interest.  Sure, some of these schools will have the occasional group that gets their fanbase mildly excited, but then those guys leave and the interest dies down.  I'd put Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, the two Mississippi schools and A&M in that category.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

yraciv

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 08, 2017, 04:37:50 pm
Even as a football school they have always had talent all over their back yard. They aren't ever going to be a one and done type school but with a coach that is willing to do work evaluating in state kids they would literally never lack for talent.

LSU has put more guys in the NBA than we have since we joined the SEC, but we are expecting our program to perform at a high level. Just wait until they finally hire the right guy.

You might want to check out the in state talent lately. Do you remember when Dee Wagner was the player of year in state?  It comes and goes in peaks just like Arkansas. There haven't been big names comes out of the state recently, and they have been struck out with Robert Williams and this year Mitchell Robinson, first LA 5 star I've seen in awhile.  If you look down the list of best players from Louisiana ever, I just don't see a lot of people who went to LSU.   Recently the best one I can think of is Marcus Thornton, but Thaddeus Young and Greg Monroe were big time recruits that left.  They've also had many great players come through the state and go to mid majors Malone, Elfrid Payton, Paul Millsap, Joe Dumars, and the list goes on.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.fcgi?country=US&state=LA

So to summarize yes there is good players, but it comes in waves.  Their facilities are lower tier in the SEC and their fans are corn dogs who care very little about basketball.  I just don't see them as a sleeping giant unless the talent in state goes up, and they have a perfect hire that Louisiana coaches like.

zebradynasty

I was hoping they would keep him one more year and run the program in the ground further meanwhile MA try get some more contacts down there in LA. We need to add some athleticism to our roster and LA has some good athletes that can ball.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 09, 2017, 08:39:18 am
Respectfully disagree.  There are just too many schools in the SEC where basketball will always be behind football, spring football, and national signing day when it comes to fan interest.  Sure, some of these schools will have the occasional group that gets their fanbase mildly excited, but then those guys leave and the interest dies down.  I'd put Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, the two Mississippi schools and A&M in that category.

As teams keep getting these huge payouts from the television contracts and the SEC, they will invest that money in basketball. You've seen Auburn and Ole Miss upgrade their basketball arenas. Alabama and LSU I bet are not far behind.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 09, 2017, 09:38:22 am
As teams keep getting these huge payouts from the television contracts and the SEC, they will invest that money in basketball. You've seen Auburn and Ole Miss upgrade their basketball arenas. Alabama and LSU I bet are not far behind.

I still don't think that will translate to sustained basketball success.  I may be proven wrong, but you have decades of same old same old in the SEC from which we can draw conclusions.  Unless you are Kentucky and, to a lesser extent, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Florida, you just don't see the passion and support from the fans. 

"If you build it, they will come" is a nice movie quote, but it's not automatically true in SEC basketball.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: yraciv on March 09, 2017, 09:15:22 am
You might want to check out the in state talent lately. Do you remember when Dee Wagner was the player of year in state?  It comes and goes in peaks just like Arkansas. There haven't been big names comes out of the state recently, and they have been struck out with Robert Williams and this year Mitchell Robinson, first LA 5 star I've seen in awhile.  If you look down the list of best players from Louisiana ever, I just don't see a lot of people who went to LSU.   Recently the best one I can think of is Marcus Thornton, but Thaddeus Young and Greg Monroe were big time recruits that left.  They've also had many great players come through the state and go to mid majors Malone, Elfrid Payton, Paul Millsap, Joe Dumars, and the list goes on.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.fcgi?country=US&state=LA

So to summarize yes there is good players, but it comes in waves.  Their facilities are lower tier in the SEC and their fans are corn dogs who care very little about basketball.  I just don't see them as a sleeping giant unless the talent in state goes up, and they have a perfect hire that Louisiana coaches like.

They CONSISTENTLY sign more top talent than we ever have.

That you would even try to claim that Louisiana is a basketball desert is insanity. Thurman and Qualls wouldn't make your list either but were pretty good players. There really are guys like them all over that state.

Shaq and Ben Simmons. 2 overall number 1 draft picks since we joined the SEC. Has Arkansas ever had one at all?

I will make this easy for you. LSU has had 13 guys drafted since 2000.

Arkansas has to count back to 1985 to equal that number.

Move along now son. Shoosh!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 09, 2017, 10:30:37 am

Nope.  At times, yes.  But not consistently more than we ever have. 

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 09, 2017, 10:34:37 am
Nope.  At times, yes.  But not consistently more than we ever have.

Please explain.

Since 2000, LSU 13 NBA draftees...Arkansas 5

That's how far back in Arkansas basketball history you have to go to get 13 draftees.

Available talent argument is over.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 09, 2017, 10:56:59 am
Please explain.

Since 2000, LSU 13 NBA draftees...Arkansas 5

That's how far back in Arkansas basketball history you have to go to get 13 draftees.

Available talent argument is over.

What about from 1975 to 1984?  Did LSU sign the equivalent talent of Delph, Brewer, Moncrief, Hastings, Walker, Robertson and Kleine?  All except Delph had very good NBA careers and Delph would have if the 3 point line had been in play back then.  You said "ever."  That's simply not correct.  And it's certainly arguable whether LSU signed as good a talent as Nolan did from 1987-1995.  Other than Shaq, who really stands out from LSU during that era?

Finally, part of your argument seems to be based on talent that's from Louisiana and another part is based on players that LSU has signed.  Those are two very different things. 

Ka-POW!!

yraciv

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 09, 2017, 10:30:37 am

That you would even try to claim that Louisiana is a basketball desert is insanity. Thurman and Qualls wouldn't make your list either but were pretty good players. There really are guys like them all over that state.

Shaq and Ben Simmons. 2 overall number 1 draft picks since we joined the SEC. Has Arkansas ever had one at all?

I will make this easy for you. LSU has had 13 guys drafted since 2000.

Arkansas has to count back to 1985 to equal that number.

Move along now son. Shoosh!

I didn't say that it was a desert, just said the talent level of high school basketball in state has gone down, which is obvious. That's why they went for a coach that was a star recruiter, just too bad he couldn't coach. Unless the kid comes from a Baton Rouge HS (Bass, Glenn Davis, Tyrus Thomas, and even Bob Petit) high school kids don't have much allegiance to LSU down there.  Most of the best players in school history Maravich, Shaq, Chris Jackson, Ben Simmons came from out of state. That's all I'm saying.