Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you schedule teams that Arkansas has played and never beat?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 07, 2017, 01:02:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Would you want to schedule teams that Arkansas has played and never beat, just to say no team has an 0-fer advantage over the hogs historically?

There are 14 teams that Arkansas has played and never beat: Miami, Kansas, North Carolina, Rutgers, UCLA, Wisconsin, Duke, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio St, Stanford, Toledo, and Virginia Tech

bennyl08

You missed a few teams.

Camp Pike
Dallas Medical
Central HS
Norman NAS
Santa Clara
Springfield Normal
Citadel
Transy
Villanova
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

snoblind

Why would anyone care?  Even though I have to admit I've been wanting payback against Camp Pike a long time.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CrookedSquealliry

I prefer to play teams we can beat.  I don't think we're in any position to take on new challenges at this point.   

bennyl08

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 01:42:46 pm
Why would anyone care?  Even though I have to admit I've been wanting payback against Camp Pike a long time.

Central HS. They were my HS's biggest rival as well and that the hogs lost to them, well, that's just not cool.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Letsroll1200

Quote from: CrookedSquealliry on March 07, 2017, 02:05:08 pm
I prefer to play teams we can beat.  I don't think we're in any position to take on new challenges at this point.

Going into the fifth season?

Yamahog

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 01:42:46 pm

I always wondered if anyone was as pissed off as I was about that....

snoblind

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 07, 2017, 02:06:32 pm
Central HS. They were my HS's biggest rival as well and that the hogs lost to them, well, that's just not cool.

I thought you were referring to LR Central.  TCTWF was their QB my sophomore and junior years.  Needless to say I was never a fan of his. 

Without looking it up, pretty sure the Hogs beat my old high school.  They weren't the Hogs then.  And long before the Northside and Southside days.

snoblind

southeasthog

bennyl08

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 02:18:55 pm
I thought you were referring to LR Central.  TCTWF was their QB my sophomore and junior years.  Needless to say I was never a fan of his. 

Without looking it up, pretty sure the Hogs beat my old high school.  They weren't the Hogs then.  And long before the Northside and Southside days.

Is LR part of their actual name? Or are you doing the equivalent of UA-Fayetteville for their HS?

snoblind

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 07, 2017, 02:45:01 pm
Is LR part of their actual name? Or are you doing the equivalent of UA-Fayetteville for their HS?

I don't know, TBH, we just seemed to use LR about half the time back in the day.  Probably just a habit to use NLR or LR when referring to the schools.  You went to North Little Rock, correct?  When I was in high school there was Old Main and Northeast.

bennyl08

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 02:56:12 pm
I don't know, TBH, we just seemed to use LR about half the time back in the day.  Probably just a habit to use NLR or LR when referring to the schools.  You went to North Little Rock, correct?  When I was in high school there was Old Main and Northeast.

I always preferred Dogtown/Bigrock, but yeah. I like how they combined the two schools though. NE was the chargers and wore blue and white while Old Main was the Wildcats and were Blue and Gold. Combine the two and you have the charging wildcats with blue, white, and gold. Partly why I was a casual Chargers fan when I was younger. If they had a Hunter Henry jersey in their color rush jersey, I'd probably buy that. Never understood why dogtown was considered and insult. Sure, Little Rockians would take the stray dogs from LR and dump them over here. That's a win for NLR because now we have more dogs. Way back in the day, there was Big Rock with what is now Emerald Park (100+ foot tall clips, just downriver from Burns Park and by the VA, made up of a collection of old turbidite flows when Arkansas was under a shallow sea). However, LR become the bigger town so Big Rock simply became NLR because it didn't make sense to have the smaller city be named Big with the bigger city named Little.

Guessing this thread wasn't meant to be a history lesson...

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

bennyl08

Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 07, 2017, 05:07:10 pm
Yes.
Exponentially yes.

Describe to me this exponential yes... I've heard of the emphatical yes, but not the exponential yes.

Professor Psychosis

I would definitely schedule Miami.  Home & home, or one of those "kickoff games" in either Orlando, Tampa, or Atlanta.

PossumFan

I would relish another shot at the most recent one-timer on that list, the despicable Hokies.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 07, 2017, 02:07:16 pm
Going into the fifth season?
We should be stabilized and as good as we're gonna be right? I have fallen back into my off-season optimistic slumber again however. I see 10-3 for next year and Bielema shutting up all of the haters like me.

Bacons Rebellion

I truly thought we should have invited The Citadel back in 2017 for the 25th anniversary of that game.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Jackrabbit Hog

I'd personally like to get Stanford back for the Plunkett-Vataha upset to open the '70 season.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

LRRandy

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 08, 2017, 02:31:55 pm
Would not be opposed to a Rutgers rematch.
could serve two purposes. Payback for losses and knock Chris Ash down a peg or two.
This is fun, isn't it.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: LRRandy on March 08, 2017, 08:04:03 pm
could serve two purposes. Payback for losses and knock Chris Ash down a peg or two.

Just as long as we show up in the second half like we didn't the last time we played them. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

tomarkansawyer

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 07, 2017, 03:46:03 pm
I always preferred Dogtown/Bigrock, but yeah. I like how they combined the two schools though. NE was the chargers and wore blue and white while Old Main was the Wildcats and were Blue and Gold. Combine the two and you have the charging wildcats with blue, white, and gold. Partly why I was a casual Chargers fan when I was younger. If they had a Hunter Henry jersey in their color rush jersey, I'd probably buy that. Never understood why dogtown was considered and insult. Sure, Little Rockians would take the stray dogs from LR and dump them over here. That's a win for NLR because now we have more dogs. Way back in the day, there was Big Rock with what is now Emerald Park (100+ foot tall clips, just downriver from Burns Park and by the VA, made up of a collection of old turbidite flows when Arkansas was under a shallow sea). However, LR become the bigger town so Big Rock simply became NLR because it didn't make sense to have the smaller city be named Big with the bigger city named Little.

Guessing this thread wasn't meant to be a history lesson...

The Northeast Chargers were light Blue and Gold (Think UCLA) and the Ole Main Wildcats were Navy Blue and White. Now the NLRHS Charging Wildcats are royal blue and gold.

The hate of the dogtown title stems from the fact that LR Central usually beat NLR in everything and LR took great pride in rubbing that in our faces. Most people don't know the history of "dogtown" so now they have taken ownership of it. I used to hate being called "dogtown", now, it's a source of pride.

(NLR Northeast class of 1987 and former teacher in the district)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on March 09, 2017, 06:47:46 am
Most people don't know the history of "dogtown" so now they have taken ownership of it.

The story I've always heard is that way back in the first half of the 20th century people in Little Rock would go to the other side of the river whenever they picked up stray dogs or didn't want their family dog anymore.  Hence, NLR was referred to as dogtown.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bennyl08

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on March 09, 2017, 06:47:46 am
The Northeast Chargers were light Blue and Gold (Think UCLA) and the Ole Main Wildcats were Navy Blue and White. Now the NLRHS Charging Wildcats are royal blue and gold.

The hate of the dogtown title stems from the fact that LR Central usually beat NLR in everything and LR took great pride in rubbing that in our faces. Most people don't know the history of "dogtown" so now they have taken ownership of it. I used to hate being called "dogtown", now, it's a source of pride.

(NLR Northeast class of 1987 and former teacher in the district)

Whoops. Got those colors mixed up.