Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SDS: 10 Bold Predictions for SEC spring football

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 07, 2017, 06:44:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

March 07, 2017, 06:44:21 am Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:58:42 am by MuskogeeHogFan
10 predictions for the SEC for Spring Practice 2017 from SDS. Here are 5 of those.

1. Ole Miss will lose a couple of significant starters — especially seniors(to Transfer).

4. Alabama will invest heavily in the run this spring.

5. Paul Rhoads will get Arkansas running a 3-4 and playing respectable defense.

9. Missouri might be the most improved team in the league.

10. The key to Kevin Sumlin's job is Kellen Mond (Dual Threat QB).

Shopping around for a good Sr. Transfer? Ole Miss might be a likely place to see who is available considering they have a self imposed bowl ban following the 2017 season.

Alabama divesting themselves of the Kiffin/Sarkisian offense and heading back to the run?

We can only hope that the transition to the 3-4 will be smooth for the Hogs and get us back to a more respectable level of production on defense.

A down year for Missouri's defense, but the offense is on the up-tick?

Sumlin's job is on the line this year. Another melt down in the last half of the season could send him packing.

More inside:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/10-bold-predictions-sec-spring-football/
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 07, 2017, 06:44:21 am

10. The key to Kevin Sumlin's job is Kellen Mond (Dual Threat QB).[/i][/b]

More inside:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/10-bold-predictions-sec-spring-football/
This guy goes through QB's like a baby goes through diapers
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

FANONTHEHILL

You have to be careful bringing in a grad transfer from Ole Miss. They signed about the time all the mess started.  As more info comes out, things will likely get even worse and connections will be made to even more players.  Do you want that in the program? I had a coach one time that tried to keep players out of trouble and didn't want us associating ourselves with the wrong people.  He said, "you can't hang out in the sewer without getting a little, (I'll substitute "poop") on you."  This may apply to the Ole Miss transfers.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 10:02:55 am
You have to be careful bringing in a grad transfer from Ole Miss. They signed about the time all the mess started.  As more info comes out, things will likely get even worse and connections will be made to even more players.  Do you want that in the program? I had a coach one time that tried to keep players out of trouble and didn't want us associating ourselves with the wrong people.  He said, "you can't hang out in the sewer without getting a little, (I'll substitute "poop") on you."  This may apply to the Ole Miss transfers.

I wasn't meaning to seriously suggest that we go after any of their kids. You have to be careful that they fit the personality of your team and that they are a good fit. Plus, you have to think about the kids on your team that play their positions and who have been working their tails off trying to earn playing time. That said, someone will pick them up if they choose to transfer and they could be an asset to that team.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 07, 2017, 05:20:10 pm
I wasn't meaning to seriously suggest that we go after any of their kids. You have to be careful that they fit the personality of your team and that they are a good fit. Plus, you have to think about the kids on your team that play their positions and who have been working their tails off trying to earn playing time. That said, someone will pick them up if they choose to transfer and they could be an asset to that team.
I love reading your posts and assumed that you were making light of the situation.  My reply was meant to just play along.  Strongly doubt we will see in Rebels on campus any time soon.  We don't pay well enough!
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 06:04:56 pm
I love reading your posts and assumed that you were making light of the situation.  My reply was meant to just play along.  Strongly doubt we will see in Rebels on campus any time soon.  We don't pay well enough!

I would rather see another experienced NT around 315 lbs show up on campus, even for a year. I think Capps is going to wind up being a beast as he matures but we could use another very experienced NT in the rotation for the 3-4 conversion this coming season.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 07, 2017, 07:24:57 pm
I would rather see another experienced NT around 315 lbs show up on campus, even for a year. I think Capps is going to wind up being a beast as he matures but we could use another very experienced NT in the rotation for the 3-4 conversion this coming season.
Bijohn and Capps are already 300+.  Guidry and Marshall are right at 300 and I'm not sure of his weight, but I saw TJ Smith the other day and he's gotten a lot bigger (in the right way).   Going to be interesting when the pads go on in a couple weeks.

ShadowHawg

If you like the very real possibility of forfeiture of games for using ineligible players, by all means seek out an Ole Miss transfer.

Because if the kid you take is found to have been a participant in the shenanigans that took place, then that's exactly what will happen if you play him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 08:31:59 pm
Bijohn and Capps are already 300+.  Guidry and Marshall are right at 300 and I'm not sure of his weight, but I saw TJ Smith the other day and he's gotten a lot bigger (in the right way).   Going to be interesting when the pads go on in a couple weeks.

The only reason that I mentioned a Senior transfer at NT was because there will be times that we might shift back into a 4-3 look that we could certainly use an experienced NT/DT. Capps does have 12 games of experience under his belt and Jackson has 38, but behind them there isn't anyone with any experience. Lots of potential perhaps, but untested game-time potential at this point. And, who do we have that has had game experience at playing the NT in a 3-4? So yeah, I'd love to see a Senior Transfer from a team where they have had significant successful snaps at the Nose in a 3-4. Might be another "teacher" on the field as the younger guys gain more experience.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 07, 2017, 08:30:08 am
This guy goes through QB's like a baby goes through diapers
Yet, whoever takes their snaps this season will no doubt connect on a late 4th quarter go route, which will once again propel the Ags over the Hogs...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2017, 08:12:47 am
The only reason that I mentioned a Senior transfer at NT was because there will be times that we might shift back into a 4-3 look that we could certainly use an experienced NT/DT. Capps does have 12 games of experience under his belt and Jackson has 38, but behind them there isn't anyone with any experience. Lots of potential perhaps, but untested game-time potential at this point. And, who do we have that has had game experience at playing the NT in a 3-4? So yeah, I'd love to see a Senior Transfer from a team where they have had significant successful snaps at the Nose in a 3-4. Might be another "teacher" on the field as the younger guys gain more experience.

It would be nice to pick up someone like that for sure.  A lot depends on which scheme Coach Rhoads goes with as his base.  A two gap needs that beast in the middle, while a one gap can compromise size for quickness.  As the process evolves, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10-12 guys NG and DT/DE rotation. 

I know he's set at the LG spot, but a 6'5", 320lb Froholdt at NG would have been nice to see. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 08, 2017, 09:12:13 am

It would be nice to pick up someone like that for sure.  A lot depends on which scheme Coach Rhoads goes with as his base.  A two gap needs that beast in the middle, while a one gap can compromise size for quickness.  As the process evolves, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10-12 guys NG and DT/DE rotation. 

I know he's set at the LG spot, but a 6'5", 320lb Froholdt at NG would have been nice to see. 

Well like you say, it depends on which scheme they choose to emphasize but in this day of larger than life Offensive Linemen, I prefer a NT that is a little shorter, say 6-1/6-2 and has the strength and bulk (and quickness) to get under the OL's pads and stop their charge. But Coach Rhoads hasn't called me lately to ask my opinion. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2017, 09:49:48 am
Well like you say, it depends on which scheme they choose to emphasize but in this day of larger than life Offensive Linemen, I prefer a NT that is a little shorter, say 6-1/6-2 and has the strength and bulk (and quickness) to get under the OL's pads and stop their charge. But Coach Rhoads hasn't called me lately to ask my opinion. ;)

I wouldn't mind a few Bijohn clones on the roster for sure. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 08, 2017, 02:39:41 pm
I wouldn't mind a few Bijohn clones on the roster for sure. 

When you have 15 minutes go watch the video that I posted in the 3-4 vs. The Run thread that I started. I thought that Coach did a very good job of defining the player characteristics by position that they look for when putting together an effective 3-4 defense. And he goes into player responsibilities in the video as well. This is part of the reason that I tend to favor the bigger, stronger, bulkier NT that has 2 gap responsibility. If we play the run in the 3-4 the way this Coach demonstrates we could be very improved this season.
Go Hogs Go!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 10:02:55 am

I don't think we want to pay the Ole Miss transfers what he will be asking. 

FANONTHEHILL

March 09, 2017, 03:57:00 pm #15 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:04:06 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 09, 2017, 07:49:18 am
When you have 15 minutes go watch the video that I posted in the 3-4 vs. The Run thread that I started. I thought that Coach did a very good job of defining the player characteristics by position that they look for when putting together an effective 3-4 defense. And he goes into player responsibilities in the video as well. This is part of the reason that I tend to favor the bigger, stronger, bulkier NT that has 2 gap responsibility. If we play the run in the 3-4 the way this Coach demonstrates we could be very improved this season.
I saw that post and commented on it there.  Great post and perspective in the videos.  I think the biggest benefit from the 3-4 will be the multiple schemes and unpredictability. 

HogimusMaximus

We better play better than respectable defense or we are going to lose a lot of games this year.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on March 09, 2017, 10:57:37 pm
We better play better than respectable defense or we are going to lose a lot of games this year.

Deep statement

LZH

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 10, 2017, 05:05:21 am
Deep statement

No doubt nuggets of wisdom like that enlighten us all......almost as edifying as deltaboy's "we gotta improve to get better".

longpig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 09, 2017, 07:49:18 am

D line may be as fast,  athletic and large as we've ever seen here.   Hopefully the LBs will surprise with the same.  I'm really looking forward to Spring reports on Guidry. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: longpig on March 10, 2017, 06:48:40 am
D line may be as fast,  athletic and large as we've ever seen here.   Hopefully the LBs will surprise with the same.  I'm really looking forward to Spring reports on Guidry. 

We will have to see who they put in which positions but the ones I looked at as projected for NT were Capps, Guidry, Jonathan Marshall, Melvin Johnson and Bijhon Jackson and with the last reported weights those 5 average 6-3 1/2 and 302 lbs.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 10, 2017, 07:01:16 am
We will have to see who they put in which positions but the ones I looked at as projected for NT were Capps, Guidry, Jonathan Marshall, Melvin Johnson and Bijhon Jackson and with the last reported weights those 5 average 6-3 1/2 and 302 lbs.
At least in drills, they're running TJ Smith at NG as well.  I mentioned in an earlier post, he was 285 last year and from the eye test, he's bigger now.  Not bad weight in the mid section. It's his thighs, butt, and chest.  Kinda the opposite of what I look like. 😀

code red

#5 is brillant...and the reason I don't read SDS.  I mean really?  Could our defense be any worse??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jkstock04

Quote from: code red on March 10, 2017, 11:57:43 am
#5 is brillant...and the reason I don't read SDS.  I mean really?  Could our defense be any worse??
It did say bold prediction.

Paul Rhoads is in a great spot here. It's not going to take much to improve on last years defense.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

longpig

Quote from: code red on March 10, 2017, 11:57:43 am

It's March cuz. What else you gonna do, fill out a bracket?
Don't be scared, be smart.

SDZ_Hog

Hope they aren't basing #9 on the 2nd half of our game.  They must think VT is going to win the national championship

I believe we have enough players to improve the D.  I worry about utilizing the allowed time to get them ready, both mentally and physically.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: go hogues on March 08, 2017, 08:18:06 am
Yet, whoever takes their snaps this season will no doubt connect on a late 4th quarter go route, which will once again propel the Ags over the Hogs...
[sarcasm] I bet you're a bundle of joy to be around. [/sarcasm]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on March 10, 2017, 03:08:27 pm
I believe we have enough players to improve the D.  I worry about utilizing the allowed time to get them ready, both mentally and physically.

So basically you think that Paul Rhoads is a disorganized coach who doesn't utilize the time that he has available to prepare his players? Geez louise, put down the keyboard and pick up a whistle and a clipboard and prepare to devote about 15 or so hours of each day to doing what these guys do.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 10, 2017, 03:27:21 pm
So basically you think that Paul Rhoads is a disorganized coach who doesn't utilize the time that he has available to prepare his players? Geez louise, put down the keyboard and pick up a whistle and a clipboard and prepare to devote about 15 or so hours of each day to doing what these guys do.

Only 15?....that's our problem, should be 24 1/2 dammit!  >:(

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: LZH on March 12, 2017, 05:32:49 am
Only 15?....that's our problem, should be 24 1/2 dammit!  >:(

Just a side note.  I called my son at 9pm Wednesday to ask how things were going.  He'd finished reading a book for class and had gone to bed at 8:45 since he had to be up at 4 and be at the locker room by 4:30 Thursday morning.  I told him I was sorry and and I'd talk to him Thursday.  Called back at 9pm Thursday.  Again asleep.  Again had to be up at 4am.  Last year was 4 days a week.  This year they aren't spending as many hours per day, but are there Monday through Friday.  Saturday and Sunday they can go in for extra work on their own.  Most importantly, no one has been late or missed all semester.  They're all on the same page and hopefully it will show dividends this fall.

Muskogee, I don't know about Paul Rhoads, may be a fine coach.  As an assistant or understudy for any business at any level, you are directly helped or hamstrung by your particular leader.  Remember the great strides our O-line made by us moving to one practice daily from two practices daily a couple of year back?  We weren't ready for high school level football, mush less college.  Got our asses handed to us by Toledo and TTech.  Our 2 ton trucks on the line couldn't handle volkswagon beetles coming at them from the opposition.  Paul Rhoads will likely take our defense as far as our head coach will allow him to.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 12, 2017, 12:33:24 pm #32 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:59:05 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: 12247 on March 12, 2017, 12:08:02 pm
Muskogee, I don't know about Paul Rhoads, may be a fine coach.  As an assistant or understudy for any business at any level, you are directly helped or hamstrung by your particular leader.  Remember the great strides our O-line made by us moving to one practice daily from two practices daily a couple of year back?  We weren't ready for high school level football, mush less college.  Got our asses handed to us by Toledo and TTech.  Our 2 ton trucks on the line couldn't handle volkswagon beetles coming at them from the opposition.  Paul Rhoads will likely take our defense as far as our head coach will allow him to.

Our O-Line that season got stuck in "assignment blocking" as opposed to having the flexibility on the field to switch to "area" or "zone" blocking that you have to be able to do when teams have quicker D-Linemen that begin to run stunts and slants on you. That didn't have anything to do with whether you have one practice or two because all O-Linemen, by the time they reach this level, should already know how and when to do this. If there was any fault at all, and I am speculating here, it might have had more to do with the switch in O-Coordinator's and offensive philosophy that season (Enos' first season) and a lack of coordination between he and Pittman.

As far as practice time goes, they are limited in the time that they can practice the players every day/week but they used all of the time that they were allowed. It is all a matter of how you split it up. More scheduled practices for shorter practice periods, or fewer practices that last longer periods of time. You still only get "X" amount of time every week.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

March 12, 2017, 01:10:07 pm #33 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:32:12 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 12, 2017, 12:33:24 pm
Our O-Line that season got stuck in "assignment blocking" as opposed to having the flexibility on the field to switch to "area" or "zone" blocking that you have to be able to do when teams have quicker D-Linemen that begin to run stunts and slants on you. That didn't have anything to do with whether you have one practice or two because all O-Linemen, by the time they reach this level, should already know how and when to do this. If there was any fault at all, and I am speculating here, it might have had more to do with the switch in O-Coordinator's and offensive philosophy that season (Enos' first season) and a lack of coordination between he and Pittman.

OLine talk!  I know this one!  When Enos came in, he wanted to use a zone power Oline technique that he had used previously.  On run plays, the first step was a 45 degree angle to play side, then vertical.  Pittman was a straight down hill, double to second level guy.  Our Oline was bigger and faster than Toledo.  The problem, and you can see it if you go back and watch film, was they ran slants to the back hip of the olineman.  They stunted into gaps behind the zone step.  Arkansas didn't adjust to it and after the Toledo game, Pittman said that they weren't doing it anymore.  They went back to the downhill scheme Sam wanted. Against Toledo they rushed 31 times for 103yds.  The next week against Tech, they rushed 43 times for 228yds.  After Toledo, they had solid rushing numbers (above 200/game) against everyone but Bama (44), Ole Miss (163), & Miss St. (73).

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 12, 2017, 01:10:07 pm
OLine talk!  I know this one!  When Enos came in, he wanted to use a zone power Oline technique that he had used previously.  On run plays, the first step was a 45 degree angle to play side, then vertical.  Pittman was a straight down hill, double to second level guy.  Our Oline was bigger and faster than Toledo.  The problem, and you can see it if you go back and watch film, was they ran slants to the back hip of the olineman.  They stunted into gaps behind the zone step.  Arkansas didn't adjust to it and after the Toledo game, Pittman said that they weren't doing it anymore.  They went back to the downhill scheme Sam wanted. Against Toledo they rushed 31 times for 103yds.  The next week against Tech, they rushed 43 times for 228yds. 

The only thing I will say about that is that when you block "man" or "assignment" by virtue of that scheme you are going after one guy (whether one on one or double team) and if that guy isn't there, when there is a lot of slanting and stunts, you have to be disciplined enough to not chase the guy you were designated to block and just plow the road in the area you were supposed to block to begin with, since you know where the ball is supposed to be going. But when changes like this are made at the LOS in terms of blocking assignments, everyone has to be on the same page and if they aren't, it is then that you see people come completely free on the defense and make uncontested plays. That really hurts the pride of a good O-line that someone didn't get the change in call and may have missed the new assignment.

Now blocking assignments can certainly change in a split second with the shift of the defense and that is why you see O-Linemen talking to one another while at the line of scrimmage. I won't attempt to go into all of the instances in which calls can be changed or what adjustments are made between the O-Linemen, but it sometimes happens quite often and more so when you play a team that likes to have their front 7 jump around a lot once you get to the LOS.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 12, 2017, 01:29:59 pm
The only thing I will say about that is that when you block "man" or "assignment" by virtue of that scheme you are going after one guy (whether one on one or double team) and if that guy isn't there, when there is a lot of slanting and stunts, you have to be disciplined enough to not chase the guy you were designated to block and just plow the road in the area you were supposed to block to begin with, since you know where the ball is supposed to be going. But when changes like this are made at the LOS in terms of blocking assignments, everyone has to be on the same page and if they aren't, it is then that you see people come completely free on the defense and make uncontested plays. That really hurts the pride of a good O-line that someone didn't get the change in call and may have missed the new assignment.

Now blocking assignments can certainly change in a split second with the shift of the defense and that is why you see O-Linemen talking to one another while at the line of scrimmage. I won't attempt to go into all of the instances in which calls can be changed or what adjustments are made between the O-Linemen, but it sometimes happens quite often and more so when you play a team that likes to have their front 7 jump around a lot once you get to the LOS.
What I thought was so strange about it was that I understood a zone and don't let anyone cross your face, but the turning vertical aspect of it made next to impossible.  I don't understand how you use man and zone principles at the same time.   I know Coach Pittman was adamant about getting away from it and I've always wondered if the debate about the scheme contributed to him bolting for Georgia as soon as the 2015 season ended.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 12, 2017, 02:08:29 pm #36 Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:32:25 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 12, 2017, 01:37:44 pm
What I thought was so strange about it was that I understood a zone and don't let anyone cross your face, but the turning vertical aspect of it made next to impossible.  I don't understand how you use man and zone principles at the same time.   I know Coach Pittman was adamant about getting away from it and I've always wondered if the debate about the scheme contributed to him bolting for Georgia as soon as the 2015 season ended.

You can start out in "man" but if the other team has studied your game plan and blocking schemes (as they should have) then they know where to shift to (especially after an O-lineman gets set) to attempt to create havoc with your selected offensive set and blocking schemes and how it relates to your down, distance and field position tendencies out of that set. I'm not meaning to be attempting to tell you anything that you don't already know, just stating fact for everyone else who may not know.

For teams that are constantly slanting, stunting, scraping, just generally trying to run a variety of games on you all game long, blocking area or zone is the best way to go because you pick up all of the cute little things that they attempt to run at you and the QB and RB's have to be aware of the change in offensive blocking at the LOS to counter this as RB's may have to slow their approach, utilizing excellent vision and look for seams developing to the left or right of where the original hole was supposed to be as a result of the use of a "zone" or "area" blocking concept as opposed to "man".

Personally I am more of an advocate of using a zone blocking scheme than "man" because it is a true "run to daylight" philosophy that enables the offensive line greater flexibility in changes in blocking at the LOS, which they need to be able to do. That doesn't mean that the O-Linemen cease to progress to the second level in their blocking at all, but in fact, it is any O-Lineman who doesn't initially have a man in his area that naturally progresses to the next level and looks for a LB or walked-up Safety who is closest to the play. As an O-Lineman, blocking "zone" is a lot more fun and more productive than blocking man.

Maybe that is what Enos meant by a first step to zone and then getting upfield, thought it is rarely "straight" upfield in nature. The upfield step is more like hunting in an area for the right guy to block (calls for good decision making on the part of the O-Lineman) than literally straight upfield.

But the thing is, if you constantly use a "zone" blocking scheme and you learn how to execute it very well, you never have to adjust to anything else. It just is what it is and everyone understands who and where they need to block whether the opponent is static or they are running games on you.

I'm not sure. Maybe you can clarify since you were more directly exposed to the information?
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Next time my son and I talk I'll ask for specific details if that old scheme.  I know it was introduced in the spring.  Touched on in summer, developed in fall camp, and dropped after Toledo.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 12, 2017, 02:52:27 pm
Next time my son and I talk I'll ask for specific details if that old scheme.  I know it was introduced in the spring.  Touched on in summer, developed in fall camp, and dropped after Toledo.

It's really no different than a OG or Center pulling to kick out/trap on a DT or DE. If they slant down inside and are picked up, you go on to the next available man at either the LOS or upfield. If no one is available at the LOS, you turn upfield, "hunting" for a block. Take the outside man trying to seal down if the run is coming underneath you, the first inside man if the run is going outside. Playing the O-line is all about being able to make split-second quality decisions that become second nature in who you block, whether it is up inside or pulling and much of it comes with game experience.

RB's need to be able to "bend" their runs to the "daylight" that is provided by the defense and their reaction to sets and plays and the blocking that results.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on March 09, 2017, 10:57:37 pm
Note the headline indicated BOLD predictions. Based on the tones of your past comments our possibly being able to play at least respectable defense next season would be virtually impossible. How come I'm not surprised your broken record of complaining hasn't changed on bit?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 12, 2017, 06:01:40 pm
It's really no different than a OG or Center pulling to kick out/trap on a DT or DE. If they slant down inside and are picked up, you go on to the next available man at either the LOS or upfield. If no one is available at the LOS, you turn upfield, "hunting" for a block. Take the outside man trying to seal down if the run is coming underneath you, the first inside man if the run is going outside. Playing the O-line is all about being able to make split-second quality decisions that become second nature in who you block, whether it is up inside or pulling and much of it comes with game experience.

RB's need to be able to "bend" their runs to the "daylight" that is provided by the defense and their reaction to sets and plays and the blocking that results.
The only thing I know for sure is that I'm very happy that Anderson doesn't have them running that 2015 scheme.  I'd love to sit in on one of his talks at a the oline clinics he takes part in for high school coaches.  I've got a brother that's a coach, as well as the guys that coached my son in high school and they rave about how he teaches.  Glad to hear guys in the profession speak highly of him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 12, 2017, 08:12:08 pm
The only thing I know for sure is that I'm very happy that Anderson doesn't have them running that 2015 scheme.  I'd love to sit in on one of his talks at a the oline clinics he takes part in for high school coaches.  I've got a brother that's a coach, as well as the guys that coached my son in high school and they rave about how he teaches.  Glad to hear guys in the profession speak highly of him.

I would like to be able to do that as well.
Go Hogs Go!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 13, 2017, 06:27:16 am
I would like to be able to do that as well.
That would be cool but I'm getting a nice education reading you and FOTH here. For me this is HV at it's best.

hogwxld

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 13, 2017, 10:08:15 pm
That would be cool but I'm getting a nice education reading you and FOTH here. For me this is HV at it's best.

yes, thanks to you both. nice job avoiding (ignoring) the intermittent normal hville stuff in between your discussion.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 10, 2017, 03:27:21 pm

Based on the poster, you were fair to assume the worst from that post and based on following responses, we correct in those assumptions.

However, and it seems this was an accident on the poster's part, 12247 does bring up a valid point. Practice time is very limited. The best of coaches would struggle and fail to completely install a new scheme on either side of the ball in just one off season. Honestly, it is probably a red flag if Rhoads is able to fully install his defense for next season. Either it means his playbook is incredibly small, which for a 4-3 wouldn't be great but doable with the right athletes, but a small playbook for a 3-4 negates the potential for complexity. If it isn't small, a complete installation would very likely mean that the concepts were installed extremely fast and it would take a miracle if the players understood more than 2/3 of what they needed to know. Or, scenario three would simply be perhaps the greatest feat of coaching to happen perhaps ever in the sport in that the scheme is robust and complex and the players fully understand it. Why am I so skeptical of such a thing happening? Even at the NFL level where veterans have been playing 10+ years and seen a lot of schemes and coaches can spend more time on the finer details and less on the basic fundamentals and they aren't as restricted with time as on the college level, coaches aren't able to get their whole scheme running in just one season. Even the Patriots take more than one season to get the full breadth of a system.

The 3-4's greatest strength is it's complexity. It's complexity is also it's greatest weakness. You require your players to take on greater roles than needed for a 4-3, both physically and mentally. We are also planning on being multiple in our D adding even more that our players need to learn. Luckily, they already have a pretty good grasp of the 4-3/nickel schemes. Our other big advantage is returning talent on defense. I'm of the belief that we could downgrade at DC this upcoming season and based on the returning talent and the newly added experience of that talent, our defense would improve regardless. Not trying to say we are downgrading at all though. Just that it will be hard for us not to improve and that's a plus.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Al Boarland

Quote from: longpig on March 10, 2017, 06:48:40 am

Here we go again.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 14, 2017, 02:38:21 am
Based on the poster, you were fair to assume the worst from that post and based on following responses, we correct in those assumptions.

However, and it seems this was an accident on the poster's part, 12247 does bring up a valid point. Practice time is very limited. The best of coaches would struggle and fail to completely install a new scheme on either side of the ball in just one off season. Honestly, it is probably a red flag if Rhoads is able to fully install his defense for next season. Either it means his playbook is incredibly small, which for a 4-3 wouldn't be great but doable with the right athletes, but a small playbook for a 3-4 negates the potential for complexity. If it isn't small, a complete installation would very likely mean that the concepts were installed extremely fast and it would take a miracle if the players understood more than 2/3 of what they needed to know. Or, scenario three would simply be perhaps the greatest feat of coaching to happen perhaps ever in the sport in that the scheme is robust and complex and the players fully understand it. Why am I so skeptical of such a thing happening? Even at the NFL level where veterans have been playing 10+ years and seen a lot of schemes and coaches can spend more time on the finer details and less on the basic fundamentals and they aren't as restricted with time as on the college level, coaches aren't able to get their whole scheme running in just one season. Even the Patriots take more than one season to get the full breadth of a system.

The 3-4's greatest strength is it's complexity. It's complexity is also it's greatest weakness. You require your players to take on greater roles than needed for a 4-3, both physically and mentally. We are also planning on being multiple in our D adding even more that our players need to learn. Luckily, they already have a pretty good grasp of the 4-3/nickel schemes. Our other big advantage is returning talent on defense. I'm of the belief that we could downgrade at DC this upcoming season and based on the returning talent and the newly added experience of that talent, our defense would improve regardless. Not trying to say we are downgrading at all though. Just that it will be hard for us not to improve and that's a plus.
Wellllll....Oklahoma installed it over the offseason a few years ago. With the help of some guy named Chad Walker.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 14, 2017, 11:23:49 am
Wellllll....Oklahoma installed it over the offseason a few years ago. With the help of some guy named Chad Walker.

No way. He was just a water boy...  [/sarcasm]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bennyl08

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 14, 2017, 11:23:49 am

Difference between installing 'a' defense, and having the complete defense installed. Enos did not have his complete offense here in the first year. Yet, we had a pretty dang good offense all the same.

Oklahoma did switch to a 3-4 several years ago and our new OLB coach Walker was an integral part of that scheme switch and regardless of how complete the install was, it was enough to beat Bama in a big bowl game. Our incomplete offense in 2015 was enough to put up some 50 burgers on teams with BA at the helm. Robb Smith's incomplete defense was good enough to be top 10 in the entire country.

Saying that an installation of a new scheme takes more than one season doesn't equal saying we will be bad that first season. That's like saying cookie dough tastes bad because it hasn't been baked into a cookie yet which everybody should know is false. Arguably cookie dough is even better than the cookie. However, just because an incomplete install can still be very good doesn't that it is guaranteed to be good either. Exhibit B here is Petrino's first offense. Now, you could certainly see the potential of the team for the future that year. However, players were still learning it in 2009 and the offense didn't fully mature until year 3. Year three under Enos will be the first year he's had a QB going into his second year, and same for the RB's and OL group. 2015 the group was first learning it, 2016 was a new group of players trying to execute it, and 2017 will be the first time he's had both experience playing and experience playing his offense. Should be fun to watch. Robb Smith came in here and simplified the scheme, maximizing the ability of a group of talented upperclassmen and had great success his first year. He failed to replicate that success though. I am optimistic for Rhoads, but switching to the 3-4 from the 4-3 is akin to switching from Nutt's offense to say Mike Leech's. There will be hiccups. When Bielema first came here, the idea was to only install a few things but be very good at those things. If we follow that same approach on defense this year, we can still have a respectable defense. However, the entire benefit of the 3-4 is that you can disguise things and have very complex defenses. If you go by the 'make sure you can do something very well before you add something new' approach, that will limit the complexity our players will have had time to learn. 
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: LZH on March 10, 2017, 05:32:39 am
No doubt nuggets of wisdom like that enlighten us all......almost as edifying as deltaboy's "we gotta improve to get better".
we have our very own John Maddens on this board.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.