Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas adds Tulsa, Eastern Illinois, for 2018, Ga Southern for 2021

Started by ricepig, March 06, 2017, 04:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 07, 2017, 10:23:23 am
Get Baylor or OK State on the schedule.

WHY? Why do we have to keep playing teams that close? Why do we have to try to keep 1977 alive? If you are going to pick up a top team from a p5 league, go play someone like FSU, or UCLA, or Penn St. I am so tired of playing Texas teams for the non-existent recruiting help.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

scooby21322

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2017, 10:52:54 am
WHY? Why do we have to keep playing teams that close? Why do we have to try to keep 1977 alive? If you are going to pick up a top team from a p5 league, go play someone like FSU, or UCLA, or Penn St. I am so tired of playing Texas teams for the non-existent recruiting help.

I second this.

snoblind

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2017, 10:52:54 am

Long term I think it does help recruiting plus easier for our fans to travel to when the game is at their place. 

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 10:15:04 am
did you ever find us a replacement for Michigan?

Yes, some will be excited, some will not.

Ricepig out

hogsanity

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 11:03:49 am
Long term I think it does help recruiting plus easier for our fans to travel to when the game is at their place. 

What evidence is there that playing a Texas team every year over the last decade has helped recruiting?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on March 07, 2017, 10:45:11 am
He has no explanation of how the stadium gets so full for all of these games

The stadium will be full when we play Coastal Carolina?  Do tell.  Anytime I couldn't attend a game against a team of that caliber and tried to sell my season tickets I could hardly give them away.

Speaking of season tickets, I asked who would willingly pay to see one of those matchups, not how many will buy season tickets to see the SEC games but endure the creampuff non-conference games...if they go to them at all.  How many tickets do you suppose we would sell to Eastern Illinois and Coastal Carolina if they were only sold on a per game basis?  That would tell you how many willing attendees there were.

Dwight_K_Shrute

If they can't get a P5 to replace Michigan go after a decent G5 that would provide a competitive game and maybe help recruiting.

I'm thinking USF or UCF for one because of Florida.  WKU, Temple, Ohio, WMU if they remain decent, SDSU.  All very much in the same vein as Tulsa when they are good.  Just stay away from G5 bottom feeders.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 07, 2017, 11:52:37 am
The stadium will be full when we play Coastal Carolina?  Do tell.  Anytime I couldn't attend a game against a team of that caliber and tried to sell my season tickets I could hardly give them away.

Speaking of season tickets, I asked who would willingly pay to see one of those matchups, not how many will buy season tickets to see the SEC games but endure the creampuff non-conference games...if they go to them at all.  How many tickets do you suppose we would sell to Eastern Illinois and Coastal Carolina if they were only sold on a per game basis?  That would tell you how many willing attendees there were.

That just speaks to my point. I agree, if tickets were just on a game by game basis, then teams, not just the Hogs, but most p5 teams would not play fcs teams at all, and would try to play more marquee type games to draw crowds, BUT that is not how the ticket structure is set up.  If there are 67K season tickets sold, then there were 67K tickets sold for creampuff U. Just like how they monkey with basketball attendance numbers. 13K season tickets sold, means 13K tickets sold for the games in which only 5K actually attended.

I have said many times I can not understand why people buy season tickets, only to go to 1 or 2 games, but lots of people do just that.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 07, 2017, 11:53:02 am
If they can't get a P5 to replace Michigan go after a decent G5 that would provide a competitive game and maybe help recruiting.

I'm thinking USF or UCF for one because of Florida.  WKU, Temple, Ohio, WMU if they remain decent, SDSU.  All very much in the same vein as Tulsa when they are good.  Just stay away from G5 bottom feeders.

Again the issue is who is available for the date we want a game?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 07, 2017, 11:52:37 am

Yeah, just like every other P5 team, but it's only been that way for years.

The OTR

The OTR

programs that need a 2018 game:

Syracuse
Miami
Ga Tech
Duke
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Oklahoma
T-Boone
Worst Virginia

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 12:42:02 pm
programs that need a 2018 game:

Syracuse
Miami
Ga Tech
Duke
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Oklahoma
T-Boone
Worst Virginia

Now, eliminate those with a P5 already on the schedule as a non-conference game.

The OTR

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 12:47:59 pm
Now, eliminate those with a P5 already on the schedule as a non-conference game.

too much work

you do it for me

ricepig

go hogues

Quote from: factchecker on March 06, 2017, 05:58:57 pm
I know it won't ever happen BUT I think it would be cool to schedule them as a permanent non-con.  It would fill up our mandatory P5 slot and create a bowl like atmosphere every time we play.
It would create that atmosphere in Fayetteville but not in Texas. No Texan, especially those in Austin, care about that rivalry which ended in 1991.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 12:25:55 pm
Yeah, just like every other P5 team, but it's only been that way for years.

That's why I said "these schools" and not just Arkansas.  With more and more options available to consumers, and apparently less expensive options as well, there will continue to be more competition for entertainment dollars.  Big screen, HD viewing at home from less expensive outlets (PS Vue, for example) will make the trip to the stadium less attractive for some fans.  The lower programming costs will also have an effect on the contracts offered by networks and may lower payouts to member schools.

"People have always paid so they will always keep paying" may not be true anymore.  Remember that thread from a few days ago, maybe started by you, about how many people attend every game or even multiple games based on a study of in-stadium wireless connections?

The time to establish or even hold onto market share may be coming sooner rather than later, especially for programs that aren't contending for championships.   

snoblind

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2017, 11:20:09 am
What evidence is there that playing a Texas team every year over the last decade has helped recruiting?

15 kids from Texas on last season's squad.  Not going to take the time to go back 10 years and compare rosters.  What evidence do you have it didn't help?

navyhog24

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 07, 2017, 01:08:14 pm
That's why I said "these schools" and not just Arkansas.  With more and more options available to consumers, and apparently less expensive options as well, there will continue to be more competition for entertainment dollars.  Big screen, HD viewing at home from less expensive outlets (PS Vue, for example) will make the trip to the stadium less attractive for some fans.  The lower programming costs will also have an effect on the contracts offered by networks and may lower payouts to member schools.

"People have always paid so they will always keep paying" may not be true anymore.  Remember that thread from a few days ago, maybe started by you, about how many people attend every game or even multiple games based on a study of in-stadium wireless connections?

The time to establish or even hold onto market share may be coming sooner rather than later, especially for programs that aren't contending for championships.   

What I took from that in-stadium WiFi is that students connect to it, probably because it's what they use on campus. I don't ever use free WiFi, but that's just my preferences. As to the changing demographics of those attending, sports will have to continue to price themselves in the entertainment dollar arena, or be left out. One thing I've never seen answered, is ESPN letting these streaming devices do it for free? I doubt they are, don't you?

Everyone makes choices on what they wish to spend their money on, that's been going on since the beginning of time.

The OTR

if we don't get a great P5 2018 matchup, I'm blaming ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 01:31:26 pm
if we don't get a great P5 2018 matchup, I'm blaming ricepig

Depends on one's definition of great, correct?

The OTR

factchecker

Quote from: go hogues on March 07, 2017, 01:05:58 pm
It would create that atmosphere in Fayetteville but not in Texas. No Texan, especially those in Austin, care about that rivalry which ended in 1991.

They sure cared a lot when we kicked their asss in Houston.  Half the stadium was orange and half was red.  After the 3rd qtr. half the stadium was red and half was empty seats.  Burnt orange fans were walking out pissed off and dejected.  A couple of fights broke out in my section because we had some overzealous Hog fans doing the horns down to every sad longhorn fan they saw.

If you don't think that game would sell out in Austin or Fayetteville then you are crazy.  Heck, it might even sell out in Little Rock.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 07, 2017, 01:08:14 pm

The fans that that is attractive to have already had those options and have largely stopped going to games.

An analogy for the difference b/w watching a game and going to a game is (and ignore the difference in the quality of the product) like the difference b/w canned chicken from wal-mart and twice baked chicken from Mama Dean's. They are both (arguably) chicken products but you eat one and then the other and you would swear, they aren't even both poulty and barely both meat much less both being chicken.

If your desire is to watch the football games, then staying at home and watching on TV is by far the superior option. Cheaper, more comfortable, and you get to see the game better. About the only reason you would physically go to the game is to watch things that the camera might now show, but even then, all22 cams are becoming more available on streaming so again, no reason to ever actually attend the game if simply visually seeing the game is all you care about.

Going to the game, otoh, is a completely different experience from simply watching it in the same way that twice baked chicken from mama dean's is a completely different experience from eating canned chicken. You aren't simply watching it. You are helping the defense by making the stadium louder. You are having a shared experience with 70,000 other people seeing the same thing you are next to you. No matter how HD the TV is, or how cheap the service is, or how comfy the couch is, you don't get the stadium experience. That is why fans still show up no matter the matchup. You get something that TV simply can not offer.

Further, for a lot of fans, it is fun to see us have a blowout win every once in a while. Yeah, it would be boring to win 55-10 every single week, but once in a while to see the qb have 80+% completion, receivers having 20+ ypcatch, rb's having 10+ ypcarry, and the defense laying a smackdown is just fun. It's like watching Zoolander when the regular season is full of Batman v Supermans and the Green Mile and The Road. Dark, brooding, sad, serious, or sometimes just bad and painful to watch.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

snoblind

Quote from: go hogues on March 07, 2017, 01:05:58 pm

You might be surprised.  Have friends who live in Lakeway so over the years have met grads of other SWC schools who would like us to go Big 12 so we could play again.  Of course, the A&M folks ended up in the SEC with us.

hogsanity

Quote from: snoblind on March 07, 2017, 01:12:37 pm
15 kids from Texas on last season's squad.  Not going to take the time to go back 10 years and compare rosters.  What evidence do you have it didn't help?

That we have fewer kids on the roster now from Texas than at just about any point since joining the SEC.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 12:47:59 pm

Syracuse plays Notre Dame
Miami plays LSU
Ga Tech plays Georgia
Duke plays Baylor
Baylor plays Duke
Iowa State plays Iowa
Kansas plays Rutgers
Oklahoma plays UCLA
T-Boone doesn't have a P5 school on schedule yet, has Boise State
Worst Virginia plays Tennessee

I did what Ricepig said to do.

EFBAB

jvanhorn

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 05:11:24 pm
Tulsa is a half way interesting opponent. I would put them on the same level as Memphis.

Tulsa and Memphis are two teams I wouldn't mind playing regularly.  Both are within driving easy driving distance.  It gets us into Memphis and Tulsa recruiting.  Tulsa has a lot of Arkansas alumni and Memphis would be an easy drive for eastern Arkansas Razorback fans.

jvanhorn

SMU is another school that I wouldn't mind playing.  Gets us into the Dallas area.

jvanhorn

After reading the above Kansas and Iowa State look interesting.  Kansas isn't much in football but it does get you into the Kansas City area recruiting.  Iowa State just because, lol.  I don't think we have ever played them.

holeinthewall

So paper this morning hints a home and home with a non P5 team.

Hogarusa

Appreciate the breakdown of playing teams and what city it gets us into with recruiting. Handy guide to have

Ch 5 mentioned Oklahoma St last night during sports  and believe said Bielema talked about that potential series in his stop in Tulsa
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on March 07, 2017, 03:23:47 pm
Syracuse plays Notre Dame
Miami plays LSU
Ga Tech plays Georgia
Duke plays Baylor
Baylor plays Duke
Iowa State plays Iowa
Kansas plays Rutgers
Oklahoma plays UCLA
T-Boone doesn't have a P5 school on schedule yet, has Boise State
Worst Virginia plays Tennessee

I did what Ricepig said to do.

EFBAB
Thinking about the above. Syracuse/ND may be considered a conference game.

EFBAB

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..