Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Must Win Trap Games for 2017"

Started by Next1_04, March 06, 2017, 01:18:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

SIAP

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/127663/must-win-and-trap-games-of-2017-arkansas-razorbacks

"Must-win game: It's hard to see this team as not being a bowl team, so projecting a must-win in the bowl-eligibility realm seems a bit silly. So this comes from a standpoint of actually competing for the SEC West title. The truth is that Arkansas is at the point where it should be more competitive in this division. This isn't to say that the Razorbacks will be finalists in November, but in Bret Bielema's fifth season, the Hogs shouldn't be out of it well before that. Few will pick the Razorbacks during their road trips to Alabama and LSU, but there's one road game that the Hogs absolutely have to win if they want to be in contention come November. That would be their Oct. 28 trip to Oxford against Ole Miss. The Rebels aren't going bowling, after self-imposing a bowl ban when the NCAA released its amended Notice of Allegations, but Ole Miss could be looking to play spoiler all season. The Hogs have won three straight against Ole Miss, but if they don't make it three straight, Arkansas won't have a chance to win the West."

"Trap game: Weeks before the Hogs face Ole Miss, they will have a tricky road trip to Columbia to meet a very intriguing South Carolina team that stunned plenty of people by making it to a bowl in head coach Will Muschamp's first season with the Gamecocks. The Hogs shouldn't be overlooking South Carolina, right? Well, there's a little game against Alabama waiting for Arkansas the week after, and something tells me the Hogs will be seeing crimson long before their trip to T-Town. It's hard not to overlook a game that comes before Alabama, and the Hogs can't fall victim to this while facing a South Carolina team that returns a handful of starters from last season. Oh, and it's also in Columbia, which sports one of the SEC's most undervalued venues -- Williams-Brice Stadium."

Biggus Piggus

Wow. That ESPN analysis acts as though the sky isn't falling. Hogville might melt down again.
[CENSORED]!

Pigsknuckles

March 06, 2017, 01:43:04 pm #2 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:13:55 pm by Pigsknuckles
Can't look past Coastal Carolina either.  ;)
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Sed76

Haven't even thought about South Carolina yet. Hoping TCU doesn't come to town and drill us like Texas Tech did a couple of years ago.

TeufelHog

Most games could be considered "Trap Games" for our Hogs.  Toledo and LaTech games are prime examples.  We consistently start our season off slow.   

JONAS

I just hope we can beat the Aggies.  I am sick of losing to them.

Bacons Rebellion

We should always differentiate between "must-win trap games" and "trap games that are okay to lose."

lakecityhog

This is the year that BB should actually follow the 1-0 rule!! DO NOT look ahead under any circumstance, play each game like it means winning the league. IF we can do that the schedule is set-up for us to have a chance to be very successful.

The games that we are least likely to win are road games anyway.(Bama & LSU) The next toughest games are home games/neutral site games.(TCU, Auburn & ATM) And finally, we dodge the big dogs of the East.(Florida, Georgia and Tenner)

I think that Bama could actually be our trap game, if we get caught looking forward and lose to USCe it could really hurt the whole season.

code red

Hoping that SC game is a noon kick.  A night game could be a nightmare.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DeltaBoy

WE need to beat TAMU this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seebs

Arkansas is not good enough to be trapped.  We are the trappers.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Waldron_Hog

Playing 10 in a row will play hell on us coming down the stretch.

Biggus Piggus

Aug. 31 Florida A&M - glorified scrimmage
nine days until next game
Sept. 9 TCU
14 days until next game
Sept. 23 Texas A&M at Arlington
Sept. 30 New Mexico State - perennially bad, a half-game
Oct. 7 at South Carolina
Oct. 14 at Alabama
Oct. 21 Auburn
Oct. 28 at Ole Miss
Nov. 4 Coastal Carolina - breather after four conference games
Nov. 11 at LSU
Nov. 18 Mississippi State
Nov. 25 Missouri

Not as bad as it sounds.
[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

SC's team stats rankings from 2016

Total defense: 66th, 953 plays, 411.9 yards per game, 5.62 yards per play, 40 offensive td's.
51st in scoring defense for a total of 26.5 ppg
90th in tackles for loss, 5.4 per game
97tied in sacks with 1.62 per game
90th rushing defense, 2642 yards allowed, 4.8 ypr, 20 td's, 203.2 ypg
16th in red zone defense, 53 attempts, 31 td's, 9 fgs, 13 no scores
53rd in passing efficiency defense, 125.78 rating allowed
39th passing defense, 60.3% completion, 20:15 td:int, 2713 yards, 6.73 ypa, 208.7 ypg
133th in defensive first downs, allowing total of 298 with 20 by penalty
91st in 4th downs percentage, allowing 14 conversions on 24 attempts
95th in 3rd down conversions, allowing 81 of 190 for 42.6 conversion

62nd in TOP with 30 min
24th tied in turnover margin, with 27 gained and 20 lost
37th in penalty ypg, 65 total, 46.62 ypg, 5 penalties per game

115th in total offense, 877 plays, 5.15 ypp, 347.5 ypg, and 32 offensive td's.
116th in scoring offense, 20.8 ppg
123rd tfl allowed, 7.85 per game
118th in sacks allowed, 41 total, 3.15 per game
108th rushing offense, 1747 yards, 3.68 ypr, 20 rush td's, 134.4 ypg.
117th red zone offense, 45 attempts, 26 td's, 8 fg, 11 no scores.
77th in passing efficiency, 125.96 rating
83rd passing offense, 12:7 td:int, 61.7% completion, 2771 yards, 6.89 ypa, 213.2 ypg
97th in offensive first downs, 241 total (21 by penalty)
60th in 4th down conversions, converting 13 out of 25.
109th in 3rd down conversions, converting 63 of 184 for 34.2%
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

This is the team that some people think is actually more difficult than Florida with the 5th best defense in the entire country and whose offense was on par and sometimes better than SC's.

This is a team we should absolutely beat. Which I suppose is why it is our trap game.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse