Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Columnist: SEC FOOTBALL: SUPER EARLY CONFERENCE RANKINGS FOR 2017

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 05, 2017, 12:24:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This was written a few months back right after the NCG and with regard to Arkansas, even contains a quote from HDN about Hog football and Bielema for 2017. Still, this guy seems optimistic about the chances that Arkansas has to improve over the 2016 season.

Here is how he ranks all of the SEC teams in order from bottom to top for 2017.

14.   Missouri
13.   Miss State
12.   Vanderbilt
11.   Ole Miss
10.   Texas A&M
09.   Kentucky
08.   Florida
07.   Tennessee
06.   Arkansas
05.   S. Carolina
04.   Georgia
03.   LSU
02.   Auburn
01.   Alabama

There's no reason for Arkansas to struggle in '17 with running backs Rawleigh Williams III and Devwah Whaley returning along with quarterback Austin Allen. The defense could improve if the Razorbacks find the right coordinator.

So, they should be able to rebound and attain nine or 10 wins. Bielema had better hope so.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686155-sec-football-super-early-conference-rankings-for-2017
Go Hogs Go!

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Al Boarland

PorkRinds

LZH

Talon

Quote from: 247Hog on March 05, 2017, 12:49:09 pm
I don't understand the South Carolina love.
I don't get this either. I'm hoping we are 5-0 after playing SC.

ChitownHawg

Every year they choose one outside the box team. This way if that team does well then they look good. However, the press have been terrible at picking the SEC. I think Mike Irwin has said he doesn't do preseason rankings.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 05, 2017, 05:44:47 pm
Every year they choose one outside the box team. This way if that team does well then they look good. However, the press have been terrible at picking the SEC. I think Mike Irwin has said he doesn't do preseason rankings.

I think that the writer believes that Will Muschamp and staff are going to somehow get more out of this team next season than it has produced the last 3 seasons. The defense seems to be improving and they may have a better QB on board and they do play in the East, which certainly gives them a better chance than playing in the West. The writer cites a "kick-start" of the program with a win over Tennessee as a point where the program took a step forward, but they still went 3-3 in their last 6 games. His positive viewpoint may be more about what everyone else is losing (players & experience) than how big of a step forward S. Carolina may be taking.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

I think FL screwed up in hiring McElwain. He doesn't seem to be much of a recruiter and his stubbornness in-game reminds me of someone.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 05, 2017, 01:02:04 pm
I'm having a hard time coming up with 9/10 wins.
Not me, I think we were a good defense away from 10-11 wins last year (A&M, Mizzou and VT).  Other than Alabama, I do not really see anyone that we could not beat.

1-0 W Florida A&M (Little Rock, Ark.)
2-0 W TCU
3-0 W Texas A&M* (Arlington, Texas)
4-0 W New Mexico State
5-0 W South Carolina*
5-1 L Alabama*
6-1 W Auburn
7-1 W Ole Miss*
8-1 W Coastal Carolina
8-2 L LSU*
9-2 W Mississippi State
10-2 W Missouri

* Away
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rhames

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 06, 2017, 07:21:32 am
Not me, I think we were a good defense away from 10-11 wins last year (A&M, Mizzou and VT).  Other than Alabama, I do not really see anyone that we could not beat.

2-0 W TCU
4-0 W New Mexico State
5-0 W South Carolina*
5-1 L Alabama*
6-1 W Auburn
7-1 W Ole Miss*
8-1 W Coastal Carolina
8-2 L LSU*
9-2 W Mississippi State
10-2 W Missouri

* Away

Uhhhh 2 of those games the defense didn't lose and I don't think I could argue with someone saying it wasn't entirely on the defense that night in Arlington.

But I do agree with your predictions there.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hawganatic

Quote from: HF#1 on March 06, 2017, 08:41:25 am
Right where we belong. Middle of the pack. 6-7 wins.

Actually if it plays out like the writer thinks then we will be 8-4, since he has four teams that we play ranked ahead of us.

Doesn't really make sense for the writer to say we should get to 9-10 wins with the way he ranked, like it doesn't make sense for you to look at that and say 6-7 wins.

HF#1

Quote from: hawganatic on March 06, 2017, 09:28:40 am
Actually if it plays out like the writer thinks then we will be 8-4, since he has four teams that we play ranked ahead of us.

Doesn't really make sense for the writer to say we should get to 9-10 wins with the way he ranked, like it doesn't make sense for you to look at that and say 6-7 wins.

What about the previous 3 years suggest we will surpass that?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pork Twain

Quote from: rhames on March 06, 2017, 08:23:49 am
Uhhhh 2 of those games the defense didn't lose and I don't think I could argue with someone saying it wasn't entirely on the defense that night in Arlington.

But I do agree with your predictions there.
Oh I am not saying those losses are all on the defense but if there were not repeated second half defensive collapses, who knows it the offense continues to come out loose and ready to hammer it home vs tight and thinking they have to score on every drive.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HF#1 on March 06, 2017, 09:29:45 am

Building a better roster through better recruiting and red-shirt program.  We have several players primed to step into contributing roles that have been waiting their turn and being developed the past couple of years.  I could see that being worth a couple of wins over the last few years.  If so, we should be in the 8 to 9 win range competing for 10 wins.

Vantage 8 dude

Well it's merely a GUESS by the individual. Obviously there are a lot of variables that could most certainly swing several games for or against us. For instance, let's be optimistic and say that the offense continues to be fairly efficient AND we actually have better defensive performances. Let's also go with a prediction that we can avoid another 2nd half collapse like we saw against Mo. and VT. Not saying we will, however, such an assumption/forecast is just as good at this point in saying we won't avoid some of our pitfalls from the past several seasons. At this point everyone's undefeated, both on the field and in his/her 2017 predictions.

ATU HOG

Season hinges on beating A&M, TCU, and South Carolina.  No reason for us not to go 3-0 in these games, with A&M being the toughest of the three.  I honestly think the loser of the Arkansas vs A&M might be shown the door at the end of the season.  2 teams trying desperately to be a contender but can't seem to get over that hump.  CBB is 0-4 vs A&M, I think this is the year we finally get it done.

If we don't win the A&M game then we are looking at 8 wins I think assuming the rest go as planned.  Auburn will be contending for a west title this year.  Bama will be Bama.  LSU will be pretty good as well.

hawganatic

What about the previous three years has anything to do with the next three years?  It's a losing mentality to think you can't do better than you have previously.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawganatic on March 06, 2017, 01:30:14 pm
What about the previous three years has anything to do with the next three years?  It's a losing mentality to think you can't do better than you have previously.
Good point. Hopefully each season's record stands on its own.

hawganatic

Quote from: ATU HOG on March 06, 2017, 01:24:09 pm
I honestly think the loser of the Arkansas vs A&M might be shown the door at the end of the season. 

Que?

Al Boarland

2-0 W TCU
4-0 W New Mexico State
5-0 W South Carolina*
5-1 L Alabama*
6-1 W Auburn
7-1 W Ole Miss*
8-1 W Coastal Carolina
8-2 L LSU*
9-2 W Mississippi State
10-2 W Missouri

* Away
Yeah, I'm not seeing it. You could argue we could have lost games that we won. We are transitioning on D and at the end of the day there are several teams more talented than us. Hard to go against talent.

jgphillips3

The problem is how the unknowns break.  Is the OL serviceable?  Is the defense at least a mid-tier SEC defense? To a lesser extent, do the new receivers gel with Austin?  The difference between a 6-7 win season and a 9-10 win season rides primarily on the Offensive line being at least average and the defense improving to be at least average.  I think both are attainable but only time will tell. 

pigroots

That TCU game will be a bloodbath...make no mistake about that. Patterson will have a huge chip on his shoulder coming to Fayetteville and they have a sr QB and lots of returning guys. We better circle the wagons early cause a loss there would sting and they will be a very good team

hobhog

Quote from: pigroots on March 06, 2017, 03:08:01 pm
That TCU game will be a bloodbath...make no mistake about that. Patterson will have a huge chip on his shoulder coming to Fayetteville and they have a sr QB and lots of returning guys. We better circle the wagons early cause a loss there would sting and they will be a very good team

Agreed, but a senior QB that didn't start for them last year, right? The Thrill graduated didn't he?

I like our schedule this year.

arlhog

How about the atm hate?  All they've done is shut us down every year when it matters at the end then go and out recruit us.  I love the hogs but why does everyone think we've going to beat them every year?   And how are they that low?   I know they flounder towards the end of the year but still.  Also, after this last year our team has a lot to prove.  First they have to prove they won't quit anymore.  Both sides of the ball

Strangest statement here is that, ( Bielema better hope so) as it pertains to winning 9 or 10.  I know Bret wants to win games but there is very little, if any, danger of him being in trouble at 6-6 or better. 

This Guy may be dead on but I do not agree with him much at all.  Anyway, its preseason and everybody has an opinion.  I honestly believe instead of poor coaching costing us around 2 wins per season every year BB has been here, that in 2017, BB will step it up and win a couple instead of assisting in losing games we should have won.  While we have seen some bright spots overall, we have been a team without mental toughness for the past 4 years.  Got a feeling we will see better coaching in 2017, thus creating a mental lift in the assistants and players.  Once you start getting real training, being held accountable and start refusing to be denied, the wins will come.

Hoggish1

ballhogger

Quote from: arlhog on March 06, 2017, 07:43:08 pm
How about the atm hate?  All they've done is shut us down every year when it matters at the end then go and out recruit us.  I love the hogs but why does everyone think we've going to beat them every year?   And how are they that low?   I know they flounder towards the end of the year but still.  Also, after this last year our team has a lot to prove.  First they have to prove they won't quit anymore.  Both sides of the ball

I am like you.  I always feel that we are the better team but we really have a tough time closing the game out with them.  It has been the same story every year.  We have had opportunities to maul them and put the game out of reach but we could not finish against them.  We have been able to do that against other teams but they have given us trouble at the end of games the last 5 years.

hawganatic

Quote from: pigroots on March 06, 2017, 03:08:01 pm

And we don't have a senior QB and a lot of returning guys? 

I really think some of you guys go out of your way to find reasons we will lose...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: arlhog on March 06, 2017, 07:43:08 pm

A&M just seems to lose momentum as the year drags on. I'd love to get them in the second half of the season. I think we would fare better. I'll add that we have had defensive troubles now for 2 years running. I hope we will be more ready to defend their offense running a 3-4. I think we can break their run this year. I am at least going to hope so.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: 12247 on March 06, 2017, 08:00:21 pm
Strangest statement here is that, ( Bielema better hope so) as it pertains to winning 9 or 10.  I know Bret wants to win games but there is very little, if any, danger of him being in trouble at 6-6 or better. 

This Guy may be dead on but I do not agree with him much at all.  Anyway, its preseason and everybody has an opinion.  I honestly believe instead of poor coaching costing us around 2 wins per season every year BB has been here, that in 2017, BB will step it up and win a couple instead of assisting in losing games we should have won.  While we have seen some bright spots overall, we have been a team without mental toughness for the past 4 years.  Got a feeling we will see better coaching in 2017, thus creating a mental lift in the assistants and players.  Once you start getting real training, being held accountable and start refusing to be denied, the wins will come.

You forgot to say he will only do well to get a renegotiated contract and then he will go back to being lazy.

ZERO

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 05, 2017, 01:02:04 pm
I'm having a hard time coming up with 9/10 wins.

I'm not having a hard time coming up with nine wins. I'm having a hard time not coming up with two or more that we won't blow in the second half after asserting our will.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ZERO

Quote from: hawganatic on March 06, 2017, 01:30:14 pm

I don't get it. You can't throw out past results that have shed light to the level of ability of a coaching staff. It's the reason why we saw Nutt's decade tenure as evidence that he didn't deserve and 11th and 12th season. At some point, you can't write off certain tendencies as one-offs or learning moments.

It really sucks when the only times you're right about anything are the times you don't want to be. I really hope BB breaks one off and wins 10 this year, but my blind faith has waned. It's only a losing mentality to think you can't do better when you refuse to move on from an under-performing coach.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

GuvHog

Quote from: 12247 on March 06, 2017, 08:00:21 pm

If the Hogs don't do any better than 6-6 in CBB's 5th season, he is toast. If Long refuses to do it then he should be terminated too.

That being said, I don't see any way the Hogs lose 6 games this year. I can see them winning 9 or 10 games since the schedule is more favorable than it was last season (with the exception of having an early bye weekend).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on March 08, 2017, 10:54:51 am
If the Hogs don't do any better than 6-6 in CBB's 5th season, he is toast. If Long refuses to do it then he should be terminated too.

That being said, I don't see any way the Hogs lose 6 games this year. I can see them winning 9 or 10 games since the schedule is more favorable than it was last season (with the exception of having an early bye weekend).

As much as that should be the case, it's not.  Bielema's record doesn't matter and has no bearing on his employment here.

KillerK4

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 08, 2017, 11:02:07 am
As much as that should be the case, it's not.  Bielema's record doesn't matter and has no bearing on his employment here.

I disagree. Even CBB knows his back is to the wall. That was obvious with the off season defensive coaching changes and the abrupt change in defensive philosophies. He senses the urgency of the situation knows his team has to do very well this season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NuttinItUp

I sure hope you are right about the Aggies.

5 years is way too long...

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on March 08, 2017, 11:54:40 am
I disagree. Even CBB knows his back is to the wall. That was obvious with the off season defensive coaching changes and the abrupt change in defensive philosophies. He senses the urgency of the situation knows his team has to do very well this season.

6-6 and he's safe.  That's all that's asked of him.  ...and he has 6 automatic wins on the schedule.  He's not going anywhere.

code red

I do.  USC has some excellent coaches.  Muschamp finally is delegating.  They will be legit.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2017, 01:03:41 pm
Same. They're going to be terrible again.
If they were terrible then we were terrible.  I do believe they beat Missouri.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 08, 2017, 12:25:02 pm
6-6 and he's safe.  That's all that's asked of him.  ...and he has 6 automatic wins on the schedule.  He's not going anywhere.
Unfortunately you are correct.

code red

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 08, 2017, 12:25:02 pm
Unfortunately you are correct.

2-0 W TCU
4-0 W New Mexico State
5-0 W South Carolina*
5-1 L Alabama*
6-1 W Auburn
7-1 W Ole Miss*
8-1 W Coastal Carolina
8-2 L LSU*
9-2 W Mississippi State
10-2 W Missouri

* Away

I just don't see us winning vs. Auburn and A&M and probably losing 1 more.  I don't see any reason to be optimistic, that we will stop the run, with a new defense. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on March 08, 2017, 11:54:40 am
Does it really matter how CBB feels? The bottom line is he has been out-coached several times. Other times his roster is out-talented.

j-mann

Arkansas seems to lose 1 game they souild win   

i see 7-5 to 9-3  to me we have 5 or 6 tossup games   TCU @ S Car  AUBURN  AM   MISS ST

the dream season would be 11-1 with only a bama loss  doing this  would put Arkansas no worse than 6   and maybe as high as 3   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Al Boarland

Quote from: j-mann on March 08, 2017, 07:45:53 pm
Arkansas seems to lose 1 game they souild win   

i see 7-5 to 9-3  to me we have 5 or 6 tossup games   TCU @ S Car  AUBURN  AM   MISS ST

the dream season would be 11-1 with only a bama loss  doing this  would put Arkansas no worse than 6   and maybe as high as 3

So, Auburn is a toss up, but LSU isn't? They mopped the floor with us last season. Many are picking them 2nd in the power ranking preseason. I'm just trying to understand this logic. And you shouldn't sleep on MS St. They could easily win.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

2-0 W TCU
4-0 W New Mexico State
5-0 W South Carolina*
5-1 L Alabama*
6-1 W Auburn
7-1 W Ole Miss*
8-1 W Coastal Carolina
8-2 L LSU*
9-2 W Mississippi State
10-2 W Missouri

* Away
The Texas A&M and the Auburn game worry me. I think Texas A&M has a curse on us or something and after the way Auburn beat us last year with Sean White at QB (the new kid is supposed to be way better than him) I don't know if we can make up 54 points. ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 09, 2017, 03:34:11 pm
The Texas A&M and the Auburn game worry me. I think Texas A&M has a curse on us or something and after the way Auburn beat us last year with Sean White at QB (the new kid is supposed to be way better than him) I don't know if we can make up 54 points. ???

Just cancel out the big plays allowed. Stop those and A&M doesn't beat us and we don't get hammered by Auburn.
Go Hogs Go!