Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

so far Arkansas has had a good year in sports .

Started by tophawg19, March 04, 2017, 07:39:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 04, 2017, 07:39:15 pm
Football team -bowl game -check
Basketball team- NCAA tourney - check
Baseball team is off to a good start
Track teams are always in the top .
overall a good season

Football - Meh. 7-6 is not necessarily a good season. Bowl game sure, but you have teams with losing records making bowls now
Basketball - Arkansas made it, but thanks to the soft OOC schedule and the SEC being top heavy. What was it, 10 home games vs bottomfeeders? Arkansas only has 1 signature win.
Baseball- Too Soon
Track - That's all Arkansas is known for so that's great.

jkstock04

Quote from: LZH on March 07, 2017, 10:16:49 am
Not meaning to parrot some others on here, but I just don't believe BB is hard enough on our guys....you would certainly know alot more about that than I. We just didn't look physically or mentally tough in several games this year. Have heard there were some grumblings in the locker room at times last year, don't know if that had any effect or if it is even true.

I don't really believe BB will be able to get over the hump, but if he does that would be fantastic. I haven't always a big fan of his but as long as he can win and be competitive it's fine by me. The Auburn game, and last two games really stick out as games we are going to see as long as he is our coach. Play better against Auburn and don't give those last two away and I can live with the rest.
Whether it's between the ears or simply being out of shape...the past couple of years we have started the year off not looking good. I think back to Toledo and then the near disaster against La Tech last season.

I agree with you...I think we have look out of shape at times. Our O-line has had bad trouble with smaller, quick d-linemen. In 2015, Bielema came out directly prior to the season and stated that he had scaled way back on the conditioning because we were already in such superb shape.

Maybe this year starting on a Thursday night will give us a different and better jump start to the season.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Poker_hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 10:12:06 am
"Being good at sports no one watches is not an accomplishment"

That is a slap in the face to every Razorback Athlete.  If it comes down to finances, then say that is your point.  But without all sports and the SEC contract and Title IX provisions being met, there isn't a football program to begin with.  You can make a cute little Stripes reference but it makes you no less a fool.

Again lighten up and stop with the name calling.

Like the other poster said nowhere did I address the athletes.  You are putting words in my mouth.  This thread is about the state of the program and more or less how good a job Long is doing.  Doing well in the non big three sports has very little to do with how well the state of the program is.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

gchamblee

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 07, 2017, 10:00:16 am
Lighten up Francis.

Where did I say the student athletes don't work hard?

The fact remains that the success of a year has to do with how well do in football and to a lesser extent basketball and to an even lesser extent baseball.  Everything else is barely on the radar.  Take away those three sports and there isn't  money for the rest.

I think it had more to do with your willingness to take accomplishments away from those students who worked their asses off for them in order to selfishly have 1 year of championship success in something you care about, even though you put zero effort into actually winning it yourself. Just a guess.

FANONTHEHILL

Not meaning to parrot some others on here, but I just don't believe BB is hard enough on our guys....you would certainly know alot more about that than I. We just didn't look physically or mentally tough in several games this year. Have heard there were some grumblings in the locker room at times last year, don't know if that had any effect or if it is even true.

I don't really believe BB will be able to get over the hump, but if he does that would be fantastic. I haven't always a big fan of his but as long as he can win and be competitive it's fine by me. The Auburn game, and last two games really stick out as games we are going to see as long as he is our coach. Play better against Auburn and don't give those last two away and I can live with the rest.

There is a media perception that Coach Bielema is everyone's best friend and I will say he is a great guy, but I've had the chance to see him at practice.  He's a CEO guy, he lets his assistants do most of the screaming, but when it's time let go, he's all over them.  As much as any coach I've seen.  He builds relationships and for the players, that comes with a price.  If you've be given much, much is expected of you.  Believe. me when he's on a players case, he's plenty hard on them.

As far as toughness, I think physically they should be able to compete in 2017 and should have been able to compete last season.  Mentally, there were numerous breakdowns.  The Auburn loss was what stands out to people, but I point more to Texas A&M.  It was the first time I sat in the stands and felt the defense didn't believe in the scheme.  They bounced back and beat Alcorn, looked respectable against Bama, won a great game against a good Ole Miss team.  Then they went to Auburn, a similar spread scheme to A&M, and got blow away. No faith in the scheme and 7 weeks without a bye took its toll. After Auburn, you could feel that staff changes were definelty coming.  They beat Florida after a bye, then had LSU run all over them.  Again, players assigned tasks they couldn't accomplish. They simply outscored a Miss St. team that shouldn't have been allowed put up 42 points. Then of course there were the embarrassing second half collapses.  The team was physically and mentally tired.  The offense felt undue pressure because the defense was lacking. There was enough talent on Arkansas' defense to have a 9-10 win season.  But if the pieces are put in the right place, it's tough to win the chess match.  That's Minnesota's problem now.
Coach Herbert has players in top condition.  That's the case every year.  This off season, the intensity has been turned up.  The physical work is similar, but the speed and mental pressure has been ramped up.  The players were upset, embarrassed, and pissed off with the way 2016 played out.  The same goes for the coaches.  No one willknow what the result will be until this fall, but they players know that a lot has been given to them and it's time they step up and earn it.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

gchamblee

Did you miss the part where he said "I was on the sixth row behind the bench at the Belk Bowl.  I could hear the staff rallying the players, telling them what to expect and imploring them to wake up and stick to the plan.  The guys simply folded."

Poker_hog

Quote from: gchamblee on March 07, 2017, 10:48:55 am
I think it had more to do with your willingness to take accomplishments away from those students who worked their asses off for them in order to selfishly have 1 year of championship success in something you care about, even though you put zero effort into actually winning it yourself. Just a guess.

I assume the vast majority of student athletes are putting forth maximum effort whether they win a championship or not.  Do you think only the champions are trying hard?

jkstock04

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 07, 2017, 10:34:06 am
Again lighten up and stop with the name calling.

Like the other poster said nowhere did I address the athletes.  You are putting words in my mouth.  This thread is about the state of the program and more or less how good a job Long is doing.  Doing well in the non big three sports has very little to do with how well the state of the program is.
That may have once been the case...and it probably is at most other schools. Our culture is different.

What I have come to learn is, when you hear about what a great job Jeff Long is doing...the football team (for example) is only a small part of the equation. The format and culture in Arkansas athletics has changed to where all "student athletes" are equal (if you will). The starting qb of the school is on the same level as someone on the women's swim team. They are all "student athletes" and representing the school on and (more importantly) off the field...which is paramount and trumps all.

Emails and mail from the foundation/Jeff Long paint this picture louder and clearer as the years roll on. What the average fan thinks or what once was...isn't the same anymore. What you or I may deem as progress or regression (like winning or losing a game in loud fashion) would only be a blip on the radar to the whole scheme of things of the entire athletic program...considering academics and the multitude of other sports/student athletes.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LZH

We need a sense of urgency... from that first Thursday night right thru the last second of the bowl game.

FANONTHEHILL

Poker_Hog,

I am very passionate about the student athletes and have gotten to know several of them on a personal level since my son joined the football team.  I am always one of the first to jump to their defense when I feel that their efforts or credibility as Razorback athletes and ambassadors is challenged.  Regardless of where people stand on an issue, dialogue is a good thing.  It's also next to impossible to determine someone's true tone in a message board post or text.  We are all fans and have our opinions.  We may disagree and we may not always express ourselves in the best manner, but it's part of being fans. No hard feelings here and I hope you feel the same.

Jeff
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

HognitiveDissonance

Frank Broyles made a major commitment in 1974 when becoming AD to improve and be successful in all sports.
I'm so glad he did.
At the time Arkansas was known for football--and that's it.
I like the philosophy that if you're going to do something, do it well, and do it right. Why have a track team if you're not striving to be the best? Or baseball, tennis, etc?
So he went out and hired guys like Eddie Sutton and John McDonnell, etc
That groundwork was laid and it continues to this day. A really strong, well-rounded athletic program.

Having said all that, you have football and men's basketball, and then you have everything else. That's just acknowledging the reality of the situation. Heck, I'm the same way.

Poker_hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 11:21:14 am
Poker_Hog,

I am very passionate about the student athletes and have gotten to know several of them on a personal level since my son joined the football team.  I am always one of the first to jump to their defense when I feel that their efforts or credibility as Razorback athletes and ambassadors is challenged.  Regardless of where people stand on an issue, dialogue is a good thing.  It's also next to impossible to determine someone's true tone in a message board post or text.  We are all fans and have our opinions.  We may disagree and we may not always express ourselves in the best manner, but it's part of being fans. No hard feelings here and I hope you feel the same.

Jeff

No hard feelings.  Upmost respect for your son.  I appreciate the hard work they(athletes) put in. 

My negative comments were directed at not giving the guys making the big bucks a pass.  And I'm not saying they are doing a bad job, just that they are trying to spin things as better than they are. 

Hogs-n-Roses

Fanonthehill

Thanks so much for your input. Its priceless and inspires hope in me n my outlook. Just a few years ago I was fortunate enough to have a dear friend whose son played and the things your sharing are very similar to the issues this friend would share with me. It gave me a neat perspective away from the message board fodder and views of those with less imformation. I could not come on here and share lots of the things I was privy to as the student athlete would have been known for sure.

I have been very critical of the leadership up there and I get a big boost of hope when I hear these things coming from the inside. As for the OP s title here"good year" is a fair assessment. I hope and pray that this year will be the start of something special in Razorback history.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 07, 2017, 11:34:39 am
Frank Broyles made a major commitment in 1974 when becoming AD to improve and be successful in all sports.
I'm so glad he did.
At the time Arkansas was known for football--and that's it.
I like the philosophy that if you're going to do something, do it well, and do it right. Why have a track team if you're not striving to be the best? Or baseball, tennis, etc?
So he went out and hired guys like Eddie Sutton and John McDonnell, etc
That groundwork was laid and it continues to this day. A really strong, well-rounded athletic program.

Having said all that, you have football and men's basketball, and then you have everything else. That's just acknowledging the reality of the situation. Heck, I'm the same way.
If broyles really cared about that, he never would have ran off hatfield for playing black QB's. The coach that had 3 10 win seasons in 6 years. But instead, we settle for mediocrity. Basketball I will say he did a good job. Track was phenominal

LZH

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 07, 2017, 01:16:00 pm
If broyles really cared about that, he never would have ran off hatfield for playing black QB's.

Where did that come from?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 07, 2017, 10:58:32 am
I assume the vast majority of student athletes are putting forth maximum effort whether they win a championship or not.  Do you think only the champions are trying hard?
Not 1 football or basketball player would ever say they would trade the championships won by their fellow students to get one of their own.  Only a pathetic fan would do that.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: LZH on March 07, 2017, 01:20:03 pm
Left field.
Or the loony bin.
It's all a vast conspiracy!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 07, 2017, 02:44:38 pm
Left field.
Or the loony bin.
It's all a vast conspiracy!

I don't believe that the race of Arkansas' QB had much to do with Ken Hatfield leaving Arkansas.  If you recall in the late 80's Arkansas was having amazing levels of success with the Hatfield Flexbone offense.  Despite the level of success and back to back SWC titles and Cotton Bowl appearances, the fan base was unhappy with the style that the option offense presented.  This was also the time frame of Houston's Andre Ware and David Klinger led wide open Run and Shoot offense.  These evolved into what is today's modern spread attack.  In the late 1980's there was a much larger influence on administration from a select group of boosters.  The "good ol boy" network was alive and well.  Back then, in the days before TV money, conference payouts, and what has become modern sports economics, boosters had to be catered to at an extreme level.  I think that Coach Hatfield was given the ultimatum that he needed to change his offensive style. I also believe that Coach Broyles had his hand in the program more than what Coach Hatfield wanted.  It's not exclusive to Arkansas.  A former HC that still want control as AD is one of the reasons Coach Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas.  I will always wonder how the transition from SWC to SEC in 1992 would have looked had Hatfield stayed and the Crowe-Kines era never happened.  There was a lot of drama regarding Coach Hatfield leaving for Clemson, but the race of Greg Thomas, Quinn Grovey, or Gary Adams has nothing to do with it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Arkansas was #18 in the Country and led the SEC in the Directors Cup standings this past fall. The next scoring update is in a couple of weeks, which will include men's and women's Track and Field results.

Arkansas doesn't participate in water polo, equestrian, lacrosse or numerous other sports that are scored like Stanford for example. For the Hogs to rank in or near the final Top 20 each year is remarkable.

These rankings have been established to determine the best overall athletic programs each academic year. Something that interests most everyone other than uncultured, uneducated rednecks.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 07, 2017, 04:49:30 pm #69 Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:21:32 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 10:50:25 am
There is a media perception that Coach Bielema is everyone's best friend and I will say he is a great guy, but I've had the chance to see him at practice.  He's a CEO guy, he lets his assistants do most of the screaming, but when it's time let go, he's all over them.  As much as any coach I've seen.  He builds relationships and for the players, that comes with a price.  If you've be given much, much is expected of you.  Believe. me when he's on a players case, he's plenty hard on them.

As far as toughness, I think physically they should be able to compete in 2017 and should have been able to compete last season.  Mentally, there were numerous breakdowns.  The Auburn loss was what stands out to people, but I point more to Texas A&M.  It was the first time I sat in the stands and felt the defense didn't believe in the scheme.  They bounced back and beat Alcorn, looked respectable against Bama, won a great game against a good Ole Miss team.  Then they went to Auburn, a similar spread scheme to A&M, and got blow away. No faith in the scheme and 7 weeks without a bye took its toll. After Auburn, you could feel that staff changes were definelty coming.  They beat Florida after a bye, then had LSU run all over them.  Again, players assigned tasks they couldn't accomplish. They simply outscored a Miss St. team that shouldn't have been allowed put up 42 points. Then of course there were the embarrassing second half collapses.  The team was physically and mentally tired.  The offense felt undue pressure because the defense was lacking. There was enough talent on Arkansas' defense to have a 9-10 win season.  But if the pieces are put in the right place, it's tough to win the chess match.  That's Minnesota's problem now.
Coach Herbert has players in top condition.  That's the case every year.  This off season, the intensity has been turned up.  The physical work is similar, but the speed and mental pressure has been ramped up.  The players were upset, embarrassed, and pissed off with the way 2016 played out.  The same goes for the coaches.  No one willknow what the result will be until this fall, but they players know that a lot has been given to them and it's time they step up and earn it.

And what you are speaking of here is exactly what I was posting about previously with regard to adjusting your scheme to the players that you have (knowing their top end and limitations with regard to performance), as opposed to trying to force a square peg into a round hole because the Coach can't adjust. That really should have been a very early red flag to Bielema as far back as Spring Practice two years ago, but certainly last Spring Practice.

I really like Coach Bielema and I think that he is a very good Coach but if he has any fault in particular it seems to be in regard to having dedicated loyalty to his people, giving them too many chances to save their fannies, when it becomes apparent that they are perhaps in over their heads or not as capable of getting the job done as first thought.

Loyalty is a wonderful trait and one to be admired, but there comes a point where you have to take things into your own hands. Robb Smith's only good defense was his first year. Had it not been for a pretty doggone productive offense with a Senior QB his second season we would certainly have lost more games than we did. The offense saved his "bacon" (no pun intended) his second season.

Last year we were replacing a lot on the O-Line and had a first year starter at QB and a new O-Line Coach and with a downturn in offensive production, the defense just continued their nose dive in production which is why we didn't win at least 2 more games than we did last year. Really, we were lucky (and it is a credit to coaching) that we won those that we did but it is also a lack of decision making in coaching (my opinion) that held us back. A lack of continuity.

I'll be shocked if Paul Rhoads doesn't make a huge difference in the production of our defense this coming season. I think our offense (despite the loss of Skipper and some great receivers) will be far more productive this season. So I am optimistic about our chances to win more than 8 games in the regular season this next Fall. But like everyone else, I want to see it happen, not just talk about how great things are going to be and I suspect that as you have said, the team knows what it needs to do to be more successful this season.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

I think we all know what orifice..........................and it isn't his mouth.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi