Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC COY

Started by hvsupastar, March 04, 2017, 06:42:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hvsupastar

Should be Mike Anderson. For the talent that's on this team to be in the NCAA tournament is pretty darn remarkable.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Timfromlittlerockhog

Only problem is he's stubborn and NEVER changes. Plus he's a lazy recruiter. And he presses and traps too much. Its like he doesnt even coach defense...

Right ? Ooops sorry that was a few weeks ago.

fineswine

Bryce Drew has done more with less than anyone.

RaisinHog

Quote from: fineswine on March 04, 2017, 06:47:46 pm

You realize .. vandy was picked to finish like 3rd In the SEC he has plenty of talent ..With that being said mike white is the coach of the year

hawgfan4life

No!  Unless you are in the tournament, you have done NOTHING!  That is the bar.  NCAA would have to take 5 SEC teams.  The SEC is so bad that 4 is a stretch and they barely have a winning record in a mediocre league...

The Boar War

Are we devoid of talent?  Seems like a remember us having the SEC preseason player of the year and several highly rated Juco players.  He's done a good job but we're right where we should be.

jjdlc

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 04, 2017, 06:55:31 pm
No!  Unless you are in the tournament, you have done NOTHING!  That is the bar.  NCAA would have to take 5 SEC teams.  The SEC is so bad that 4 is a stretch and they barely have a winning record in a mediocre league...

Some bracketologists, including Lunardi thinks SEC gets 5 in, including Vandy.  So...  we'll just have to see.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Mike should get it but he won't. Its the SEC they rarely give these things to the Hogs. Mike has accomplished a ton considering he had to get three JC players to adjust on the fly and managed to get to the dance with a lack of top talent in the front court. He gets more out of his guys than almost any coach I've ever seen. Tech wasn't going to get what Mike did from DH. And Moses well lets just say he gets more out of him than I think most coaches could.

Mike is very under-rated as a coach , unfortunately that includes some in his very own fan base. But not everyone understands college basketball.

dhizzle

I say Bryce Drew. If they get in with 15 losses I'll loss my freaking mind. It would be second year in a row Vandy gets in with a not so very good record.

VivanLosCaniches!

Mike has been great lately but can't win COTY because of the mid conference play stagnation.  If we beat Florida last weekend he would have a shot.  As it is the COTY will rightfully go to Mike White.  Vandy has too many losses. 

ShadowHawg

No he hasn't.

His first 5 are as good as any in this conference. Somehow he managed to lose 14 games with them.

3kgthog

Sorry, but you don't give COY to a guy that lost to MSU at home, Missouri on the road, and is 0-3 vs the top two of the SEC in three games that really were never in question. At least Drew is 2-0 vs UF and White is 1-1 vs UK with that win being a blowout.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 04, 2017, 08:34:08 pm
Sorry, but you don't give COY to a guy that lost to MSU at home, Missouri on the road, and is 0-3 vs the top two of the SEC in three games that really were never in question. At least Drew is 2-0 vs UF and White is 1-1 vs UK with that win being a blowout.

I think should be White or Cal, IMO.

Drew was picked to be the third team in the league and lost to mizzou by 20. Folks are way off on Drew.

ShadowHawg

I might throw Martin in as well. His team has overachieved this season.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 08:37:27 pm
I think should be White or Cal, IMO.

Drew was picked to be the third team in the league and lost to mizzou by 20. Folks are way off on Drew.

That's the second time that's been mentioned... It's not true

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 04, 2017, 08:43:12 pm
That's the second time that's been mentioned... It's not true

The
Oops you were right. I saw where they picked 2 spots ahead of us to finish 4th.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 08:52:51 pm
The
Oops you were right. I saw where they picked 2 spots ahead of us to finish 4th.

Where did you see that? I believe you but what publication had them 4th? At SEC Media Days they were picked 6th.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 04, 2017, 08:56:16 pm
Where did you see that? I believe you but what publication had them 4th? At SEC Media Days they were picked 6th.

It was bleacher report, lol. I know, not a great source.

I also found them picked to finish 11th by a group of national media types.

hogsanity

Wait wait wait. So MA should be coach of the year for doing what they have done wit not much talent? Well, as HC it would be hs fault there is not much talent. Or, there is talent and the hogs finished about where they should have. They did sign 2 of the top juco players and had the pre season sec poty so I do not really buy tat he did this with not much talent.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 04, 2017, 07:17:45 pm
Mike should get it but he won't. Its the SEC they rarely give these things to the Hogs. Mike has accomplished a ton considering he had to get three JC players to adjust on the fly and managed to get to the dance with a lack of top talent in the front court. He gets more out of his guys than almost any coach I've ever seen. Tech wasn't going to get what Mike did from DH. And Moses well lets just say he gets more out of him than I think most coaches could.

Mike is very under-rated as a coach , unfortunately that includes some in his very own fan base. But not everyone understands college basketball.
Yeah, a lot of HV superstars on the Jump Ball forum have as poor an understanding of hoops as you do of football so I totally agree with you on all counts here.

hog.goblin

1) Mike White
2) Mike Anderson
3) Cheating Calipari

And really isn't debatable

Rbill

Mikes complete 180 from stubbornness and inept offense and defense and nonsensical substitution patterns is truly fantastic. No joke. Honestly I'm very happy he adapted. Coach of half the year for sure.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 04, 2017, 09:31:30 pm
Wait wait wait. So MA should be coach of the year for doing what they have done wit not much talent? Well, as HC it would be hs fault there is not much talent. Or, there is talent and the hogs finished about where they should have. They did sign 2 of the top juco players and had the pre season sec poty so I do not really buy tat he did this with not much talent.

Talent is definitely there. What was a huge task was working 7 new guys into the program and rotation.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rbill on March 04, 2017, 10:05:02 pm
Mikes complete 180 from stubbornness and inept offense and defense and nonsensical substitution patterns is truly fantastic. No joke. Honestly I'm very happy he adapted. Coach of half the year for sure.

Macon said the players finally bought into the coaching and each other.

We have run everything we ran early, including the zone but at different times and ratios depending on matchups.

You can go back to hating life again.

Hogz87

We have plenty enough talent to make the NCAA tournament.  We had a good year and Mike did a good job this year with his recovery after the Mizzou/Vandy back-to-back losses debacle. 

Mike White would get my vote for SEC COY.  Mike Anderson should finish second, though.

Rbill

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 04, 2017, 10:09:10 pm
Macon said the players finally bought into the coaching and each other.

We have run everything we ran early, including the zone but at different times and ratios depending on matchups.

You can go back to hating life again.

I'm sorry but you are dead wrong. Our recent success is not because of things we had already strategically been doing all year with the same substitution patterns. That's absurd.

Halfway through the season Macon said "I've bought into the coaching now". That was obviously the reason for the unbelievably clear lack of leadership and bad mojo that was happening with the team. Mike turned that around halfway through the season and that's great.

Get over yourself. It doesn't matter now that we looked like a mess earlier.

Hawg Red

Media picked Arkansas 5th and Vandy 6th. They had A&M 3rd (ouch).

FineAsSwine

I don't even care about the COY as long as we make a run in the tournament, I'll be happy with that.

Rbill

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 04, 2017, 10:28:01 pm
I don't even care about the COY as long as we make a run in the tournament, I'll be happy with that.

Just make it further than Kentucky and everything will just feel right in the world.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Rbill on March 04, 2017, 10:32:50 pm
Just make it further than Kentucky and everything will just feel right in the world.

Last SEC team standing, that would satisfy me greatly.

Hawg Red

Honestly, I think the award has to go to someone named Mike. Either one is deserving. They were both 9-9 in the league last year and neither made the NCAA tournament. But, if we're really looking for separation, White had the exact same team return for him and Anderson did have 7 new players, 4 of which were in the rotation.

But you know they want to give the award to Mike White.

Hogginintheville

My vote is for Kim Anderson. Just being able to keep players showing up to play every game is a major accomplishment.

/sarcasm

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hogginintheville on March 04, 2017, 11:34:04 pm
My vote is for Kim Anderson. Just being able to keep players showing up to play every game is a major accomplishment.

/sarcasm

I think you meant Johnny Johnson

Hogginintheville

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 04, 2017, 11:36:15 pm
I think you meant Johnny Johnson

Nah they keep them filled up with bodane and crawfish they aren't going anywhere. Ha

sowmonella

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 04, 2017, 09:56:01 pm
1) Mike White
2) Mike Anderson
3) Cheating Calipari

This is about right.^^^^
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hogginintheville on March 04, 2017, 11:40:20 pm
Nah they keep them filled up with bodane and crawfish they aren't going anywhere. Ha

Just had a friend bring me back a box of fresh gulf oysters from the Biloxi area. Raw, grilled, broiled and fried until gone. Man, I was a shucking fool. All gone in two days.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rbill on March 04, 2017, 10:19:03 pm
I'm sorry but you are dead wrong. Our recent success is not because of things we had already strategically been doing all year with the same substitution patterns. That's absurd.

Halfway through the season Macon said "I've bought into the coaching now". That was obviously the reason for the unbelievably clear lack of leadership and bad mojo that was happening with the team. Mike turned that around halfway through the season and that's great.

Get over yourself. It doesn't matter now that we looked like a mess earlier.

Halfway through the season? Pretty sure it was after the ole miss he said this.

As far as doing things we have always done goes, I guess you missed the pressing, the same offense we have run all year, and a healthy dose of man to man to go with the zone against Georgia. We did run the zone a lot more than we have since we used it almost the entire second half of the lsu game though.

I am an ex college player. I was taught by college coaches how to recognize defenses and offenses so I know what I am seeing when I watch a game. Quite frankly, you really don't have a strong grasp of what we are doing.

lefty08

Anyone know what Mike White's record is against teams with a pulse?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

riccoar

March 06, 2017, 06:50:06 am #38 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:19:17 am by riccoar
All I know is that White is a semi-finalist for National COY, so I'm guessing he's the guy in the SEC.

Smithian

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 04, 2017, 06:42:58 pm
Should be Mike Anderson. For the talent that's on this team to be in the NCAA tournament is pretty darn remarkable.
"Embattled head coach supplements experienced core with three JUCO players and battles through frustrating season to finish comfortably on right side of bubble" usually plays out to a program wide exhale and possible extension. Maybe not a COY award.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Smithian on March 06, 2017, 07:04:40 am
"Embattled head coach supplements experienced core with three JUCO players and battles through frustrating season to finish comfortably on right side of bubble" usually plays out to a program wide exhale and possible extension. Maybe not a COY award.

But CMA was never "embattled". The battle was mostly confined to Hogville.

Pork Twain

Our ugly losses and lack of focus at times cannot be overlooked for sure.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hog.goblin

Quote from: lefty08 on March 06, 2017, 06:44:28 am
Anyone know what Mike White's record is against teams with a pulse?

5 - 2 this season against KY, Miami, Arkansas and USCe

Cmheinley

SEC COY usually goes to the most improved team from the previous year right? It went to aTm last year it will go to Florida this year. Mike will be the runner up

lefty08

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 06, 2017, 08:01:07 am
5 - 2 this season against KY, Miami, Arkansas and USCe

Is that all of em?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2017, 10:41:55 pm
Honestly, I think the award has to go to someone named Mike. Either one is deserving. They were both 9-9 in the league last year and neither made the NCAA tournament. But, if we're really looking for separation, White had the exact same team return for him and Anderson did have 7 new players, 4 of which were in the rotation.

But you know they want to give the award to Mike White.

I agree with Hawg Red on this one.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Cmheinley on March 06, 2017, 08:18:34 am
SEC COY usually goes to the most improved team from the previous year right? It went to aTm last year it will go to Florida this year. Mike will be the runner up

I think Frank Martin should be a serious contender. His team outperformed their expectations by a mile this season.

HF#1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 06, 2017, 08:31:48 am
I think Frank Martin should be a serious contender. His team outperformed their expectations by a mile this season.

Um, I'd say they under-performed given he had a 25 win veteran team returning. Not to mention they didn't exactly finish strong.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

JayBell

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 04, 2017, 09:56:01 pm1) Mike White
2) Mike Anderson
3) Cheating Calipari

This is correct.  On Feb. 8, even after SC's painful 4OT loss to Alabama, Martin still would have been No. 2 and Anderson wasn't even in the discussion.  Then Arkansas went 6-1 down the stretch and South Carolina went 3-5.

Nobody else in the SEC overperformed, like, at all, which is mildly surprising.  Alabama started off 6-2 in conference, but finished 10-8.  Georgia, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Vanderbilt were all decidedly mediocre throughout the season.  I was really surprised teams like A&M and Auburn never really had a good stretch in there anywhere.

Sho Nuff

Being COY shouldn't be based on who does more with less.  A huge part of coaching is recruiting.  So, if a guy does a great job recruiting and wins big, why is he penalized for having more talent?