Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

YouTube changing the college football economy?

Started by ricepig, February 28, 2017, 03:44:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

gchamblee

I cut the cord just this past year and went with PS Vue. I didn't miss a single game and the package only cost 34.99. I was surprised how many channels were included in the package. I was so happy to carry my equipment into Cox and tell them it was malfunctioning. When they asked me how, i explained that it was showing me more commercials than I was paying for and I was afraid of getting a bill for stealing content. They laughed, tried to talk me out of it and then just wished me luck. I haven't missed it one bit.

PS Vue made aimed their service at sports fan, and it appears youtube is doing the same thing. Sports fans are the main cord cutter wannabes that are just too afraid of losing access to the live sporting events they want to watch.

CrookedSquealliry

This is the way the world is heading, and it's great for consumers.  However, when it comes to watching a game on a 70" 4ktv with a dvr, I find that the better deal. 
I'll use this as leverage when Sunday Ticket rolls around.  Directv will roll over and give it to me free because I'll say I'm leaving you for you tube TV.   Works like a charm.

deedster84

If it wasn't for live sports I'd have cut the cord long ago.

ImHogginIt

Hopefully it will drive down the price of my uverse  ;D

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 28, 2017, 05:20:26 pm
Hopefully it will drive down the price of my uverse  ;D

You mean slow down the rate of increase, don't you?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 05:22:26 pm
You mean slow down the rate of increase, don't you?

You mean that competition repubs are always talking about won't make them lower prices to compete ? Shocking  :'(

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: gchamblee on February 28, 2017, 04:46:22 pm
I cut the cord just this past year and went with PS Vue. I didn't miss a single game and the package only cost 34.99. I was surprised how many channels were included in the package. I was so happy to carry my equipment into Cox and tell them it was malfunctioning. When they asked me how, i explained that it was showing me more commercials than I was paying for and I was afraid of getting a bill for stealing content. They laughed, tried to talk me out of it and then just wished me luck. I haven't missed it one bit.

PS Vue made aimed their service at sports fan, and it appears youtube is doing the same thing. Sports fans are the main cord cutter wannabes that are just too afraid of losing access to the live sporting events they want to watch.

You can also use your PS Vue login to gain access to The Watch ESPN App with
SEC Network + ( regular SEC Network is part of the $34.99 package).  I used it for the Basbeall series this past weekend. 

Highly recommend PS Vue on either PS4 or Roku.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 28, 2017, 05:27:41 pm
You mean that competition repubs are always talking about won't make them lower prices to compete ? Shocking  :'(

Yeah, but we got to pay for those who can't afford it, so the price goes up.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 05:31:36 pm
Yeah, but we got to pay for those who can't afford it, so the price goes up.

No way. Even if we let folks use their EBT card to pay for streaming TV ?

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 28, 2017, 05:39:27 pm
No way. Even if we let folks use their EBT card to pay for streaming TV ?

Nope, this all ends now!

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm looking forward to the cute cat videos as halftime entertainment.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: deedster84 on February 28, 2017, 05:16:04 pm
If it wasn't for live sports I'd have cut the cord long ago.

Haven't missed the cord one bit. We cut it two years ago and we still get to watch 90% of the games we want to watch.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cassperr

I cut the chord 3 years ago. Havn't missed one sporting event yet. my internet provider lets me have access to fox sports go/espn3 and with over the air stations. I still can watch all the sports I watched before plus some.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

The_Bionic_Pig

Just waiting on my satellite contract to be up....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Tortfeasor

Cord cutters, what service do each of you use? Can't wait to cancel DTv, but not sure where to go.

Supermark101

I've had both Sling and Playstation Vue. They're function the same. It all depends on what you want for channels and what you want to pay.

This one looks interesting. It has CBS College Sports,  which the othwest don't,  but Vue has far more channels.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I use sling and Love it. I chose the Sports package and pay roughly $35.00/mth, but I can drop the package or lower it at any time...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

Very interesting !  I can't wait to see how it pans out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

VictoryRedChevy

I've had Sling and a Chromecast for close to a year and it's good for me. $27 a month and that's with a sports package added at $5.

Because I have Sling I have access to the WatchESPN app and I use it for anything on the ESPN channels.

The ESPN app casts via Chromecast close to flawlessly for me. I think the Sling app itself needs some work when it comes to casting via Chromecast, though. I just watch anything on it on my phone instead of casting.

RazorPiggie

Cut the cord a couple of months ago as well. Haven't missed anything that I used to watch before and I'm saving about $100 a month.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 01, 2017, 05:20:41 am
Just waiting on my satellite contract to be up....

Thats me. I have one more year left with Dish. They recently jacked my prices up big time. I had to turn them over to the FCC. You wouldn't believe how nice they were about what they repeatedly claimed was "my mistake"... Even though I constantly told them that I had a guaranteed two year price. Funny how they want to hold you to your side of the contract while they violate your end non-stop.

The only thing left to do now is to figure out which option I want. I have the ps4 so the VUE sounds interesting. I like having a dvr and all of my tv's are high def of course. I have one of those 80 inch smart tv's with a booming sony sound system. Honestly I don't know which would be the best between google tv and all of the other choices. But I have time to look into it. Like you waiting for the contract to end.

The_Iceman

I'm not sure Cox and AT&T have the bandwidth to support a large percentage of people going to full time video streaming.

SA Hog Fan

How does this work if you have multiple TV's?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on March 01, 2017, 11:29:55 am
How does this work if you have multiple TV's?
I our case with PS Vue, we have one account which allows five devices. A PS4 in the den, PS4 in kids game room, an old PS3 in a kids bedroom, and a Roku in our bedroom.  Can have up to 5 streams on one account, we use 4.  All are independent.  Each can watch without regard to others.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

SA Hog Fan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 01, 2017, 11:35:11 am
I our case with PS Vue, we have one account which allows five devices. A PS4 in the den, PS4 in kids game room, an old PS3 in a kids bedroom, and a Roku in our bedroom.  Can have up to 5 streams on one account, we use 4.  All are independent.  Each can watch without regard to others.

Thank you!

HogFansReunited

If I decide to cut the cord, will I be able to watch PPV events like the UFC?
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

gchamblee

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 28, 2017, 05:29:54 pm
You can also use your PS Vue login to gain access to The Watch ESPN App with
SEC Network + ( regular SEC Network is part of the $34.99 package).  I used it for the Basbeall series this past weekend. 

Highly recommend PS Vue on either PS4 or Roku.

Yep, I got the Roku streaming box at walmart for 80 bucks. I have had no complaints at all. I checked to make sure that it gave access to watchESPN before I cut the cord. Love it.

gchamblee

Quote from: Tortfeasor on March 01, 2017, 07:11:35 am
Cord cutters, what service do each of you use? Can't wait to cancel DTv, but not sure where to go.

Go to walmart and buy a Roku streaming box for 79.99 and then go to https://vue.playstation.com and start your free trial. You will not be disappointed.

FANONTHEHILL

In NWA the only "Major Network" (ABC, NBC, FOX, & CBS) that streams live through PS Vue is KCTV Ch 5 (CBS) out of Kansas City.  You get the other networks "on demand" 24 hrs after air time.  We use a Leaf HD antenna (about $50) for live ABC, NBC, and Fox.  We've had no problems at all.

gchamblee

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 01, 2017, 01:04:15 pm
In NWA the only "Major Network" (ABC, NBC, FOX, & CBS) that streams live through PS Vue is KCTV Ch 5 (CBS) out of Kansas City.  You get the other networks "on demand" 24 hrs after air time.  We use a Leaf HD antenna (about $50) for live ABC, NBC, and Fox.  We've had no problems at all.

I am interested in knowing which antenna you are using and where you got it.

FANONTHEHILL

March 01, 2017, 01:32:51 pm #32 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:44:17 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Leaf brand flat antenna from local WalMart.  Around $50.

oldhog63

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 01, 2017, 10:44:31 am
I'm not sure Cox and AT&T have the bandwidth to support a large percentage of people going to full time video streaming.

ISP's have anticipated this. Cox has started limiting amount of downloads before charging extra. I have the preferred internet and limited to 1024 GB data.

fishes2000

With all this cord cutting who are you using for internet service? I looked at comcast and its like $75 a month for middle of the pack speed. Not sure that I want AT&T dsl. When I had dsl they lowered my download speed and didn't tell me. When we tried to use two devices at same time one of them wouldn't load. So I switched to comcast for internet. Speed is great since it's packaged with my tv. I would really like to cut the cord but sports keep me hanging on with comcast.

NuttinItUp

Will this have any stations that Sling doesn't have?

I have had good luck with Sling.

NuttinItUp

It looks like this Youtube TV service does include DVR capabilities which would be better than the competitors.

Hawghiggs

I don't keep cable anymore. I used Sling TV during football season.  I usually keep Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming. I add the DVD service from January-April to catch up. But after that I cancel and start doing more and more outdoor activities.

Supermark101

Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 01, 2017, 11:39:19 am
If I decide to cut the cord, will I be able to watch PPV events like the UFC?

You can get UFC thru Fight Pass.

gchamblee

Quote from: oldhog63 on March 01, 2017, 01:57:30 pm
ISP's have anticipated this. Cox has started limiting amount of downloads before charging extra. I have the preferred internet and limited to 1024 GB data.

i get their business internet. its a little more pricey but no data caps, static ip address, same day service if there's a problem. i will never go back to residential internet.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: oldhog63 on March 01, 2017, 01:57:30 pm

This. Since 90% of the internet service is broadband provided by cable companies, be prepared. They never anticipated that the majority of their connections would be internet only. As TV subscriptions drop, their networks create less revenue, pressure will mount from failed revenue projections and stockholder blowback. You will begin to see faster speeds advertised, data usage caps on most plans and then a $100 plus and then plus and then plus again and again, unlimited plan. In areas where there is cable competition it might be slower to develop but I would fully expect it to roll out in full force in areas with little or no competition.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Jackrabbit Hog

Cinco de Hogo

I envy you guys with unlimited internet!!!  Not that I want to live where at that you live. 😉

dhizzle

Do these internet sensations have to pay espn for their networks? Surely they do. If so why would the revenue to espn and schools be any diffeeent. Apparently the same people that are cutting the cord are buying sling tv or Playstation vue.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 02, 2017, 05:43:55 am
Count yourself fortunate to have meaningful internet choices. Those of us stuck on DSL connections are getting left behind. Even though I've cut the cord, my DSL speed is starting to show signs of stress. While changes that take power away from the cable and satellite companies are a positive development, these changes are likely playing into the hands of Internet providers.

Its ironic but true. America is among the slowest among all countries in terms of internet speed. Apparently when the cables were buried the cable companies got the rights way back when and they are to blame for the travesty. We are like a third world country in terms of internet speed. I consider myself lucky to live in Conway. Mine is pretty fast compared to those in rural Arkansas.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: gchamblee on March 01, 2017, 12:56:32 pm
Go to walmart and buy a Roku streaming box for 79.99 and then go to https://vue.playstation.com and start your free trial. You will not be disappointed.

What about DVR services ?

Sow Lancelot

Thinking about using PS Vue with an AppleTV.

Thoughts?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Supermark101

March 03, 2017, 01:10:48 am #48 Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:27:47 am by Supermark101
Quote from: dhizzle on March 02, 2017, 08:32:31 am
Do these internet sensations have to pay espn for their networks? Surely they do. If so why would the revenue to espn and schools be any diffeeent. Apparently the same people that are cutting the cord are buying sling tv or Playstation vue.

Far more people are cutting cable completely.  The message board is a bad sample for how many people use these services because users are more tech savvy and more likely to use them.

I have wondered this myself.  Obviously ESPN gets something. It is possible they get $7 and providerss can keep a $35 or whatever price point, with a small channel line up, but ESPN is not in as powerful of a position as they normally would be.  They are desperate to replace lost revenue.

gchamblee

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on March 02, 2017, 06:09:54 pm
Thinking about using PS Vue with an AppleTV.

Thoughts?

i dont think you will be disappointed at all