Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville

Started by Hog in Iowa, February 28, 2017, 11:39:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

A&M and Texas both have several regional campuses as well and the writers in Texas don't refer to Texas A&M at College Station or Texas at Austin..........   sheesh....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bennyl08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 03, 2017, 05:46:22 am
Just because you say it doesn't mean most do. I believe most do not say the city name for any "main" or "flagship" university.

Would like a list of links showing they do? Or would 100 links simply be met with "well, that's just 100 people, so..."
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

kp72204

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 01, 2017, 03:30:01 pm
Well, if they didn't do that, people would get confused about which U of A system school has an FBS football team.
I think football would get better here if UALR got a football team. We had more wins in NCAAT last year then U of A (@Fayetteville). LOL I'm only kidding, this is a non issue, everyone is just waiting for sping game.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: kaki on March 03, 2017, 10:39:14 am
Just to chime in, when referring to the school in Jonesboro, do they say ASU-Jonesboro as not to confuse them with ASU-Beebe or ASU-Mountain Home?

ASU-Tempe
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 03, 2017, 11:00:21 am
I consider ASU-Newport to be the flagship of the Arkansas State University System. Without them, how would I have been able to take easy online Spanish classes that transferred credits to the University of Arkansas*?

*Fayetteville

My daughter took Calculus on-line from their last summer. On her first exam, they said she made a 60, or something. She finally got the "teacher" in an email to correct his answers to the correct ones, lol, made a 100. Of course, her older brother said "don't put more than a C effort into it, the hours are all that transfers".  She made her usual A.

RME

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2017, 11:32:40 am
My daughter took Calculus on-line from their last summer. On her first exam, they said she made a 60, or something. She finally got the "teacher" in an email to correct his answers to the correct ones, lol, made a 100. Of course, her older brother said "don't put more than a C effort into it, the hours are all that transfers".  She made her usual A.

Exactly the mindset I had, but of course I did the work. Hard to be motivated when GPA doesn't transfer, but I'll take the credits rather than sitting through (or skipping) 2 or 3 of the U of A's required foreign language credits for Fulbright students.

As for the U of A argument --- when someone says "University of Arkansas," I'd wager some bucks that the "Fayetteville" addition is unnecessary for clarification in the majority of cases.

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 03, 2017, 12:51:36 pm
Exactly the mindset I had, but of course I did the work. Hard to be motivated when GPA doesn't transfer, but I'll take the credits rather than sitting through (or skipping) 2 or 3 of the U of A's required foreign language credits for Fulbright students.

As for the U of A argument --- when someone says "University of Arkansas," I'd wager some bucks that the "Fayetteville" addition is unnecessary for clarification in the majority of cases.

I don't know, I suspect most of those out of state would imagine that the university is located in LR, if they even know we're a state.

sowmonella

Let's ask Richard Davenport what gives?  What say you RD????
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Justifiable Hogicide

Just to chime in, when referring to the school in Jonesboro, do they say ASU-Jonesboro as not to confuse them with ASU-Beebe or ASU-Mountain Home?
Excellent point.
That question would no doubt stump the "geniuses" at the DemGaz who started the silliness.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2017, 11:32:40 am
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 03, 2017, 12:51:36 pm

Urghh...this is why we have a mediocre football coach!  >:(

RME

Quote from: LZH on March 03, 2017, 05:54:54 pm
Urghh...this is why we have a mediocre football coach!  >:(

Shhhhh there are people here who will actually believe that and run God-knows-where with it.

Also, you gotta include what I said immediately after the "mindset" comment  ;D

LZH

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 03, 2017, 05:58:05 pm

Also, you gotta include what I said immediately after the "mindset" comment  ;D

No way man. You said it fur & skwur....no context necessary.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 03, 2017, 05:48:16 am
Actually there are three UC schools playing football. The UC Davis Aggies play in the Big Sky Conference.
And UC San diego.  harbaugh coached there before he went to Stanford. 

NotSoFastMyFriend

It's just hack writers trying to stoke hack fires. Nothing to see here but plenty to smell.

1texashogfan

When I was in school we called it "The University". Always will be.
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.  Winston Churchill

deedster84

I live 20 miles from the Arkansas State of University.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 03, 2017, 11:00:21 am
I consider ASU-Newport to be the flagship of the Arkansas State University System. Without them, how would I have been able to take easy online Spanish classes that transferred credits to the University of Arkansas*?

*Fayetteville

I always thought it was Beebe........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 03, 2017, 09:28:27 pm
And UC San diego.  harbaugh coached there before he went to Stanford. 

No, he coached at The University of San Diego, a private Catholic college. UC San Diego does not play football.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PORKULATOR

I'm starting to get frustrated just looking at the title.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 04, 2017, 08:07:35 am
I'm starting to get frustrated just looking at the title.

Just makes me want to puke, living this close to the University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M At College Station. Now I Know why they call it the Ohio State University. There is only one University of Arkansas and ask anybody down here in Texas where it is located. Now you know why the state is known for cars broken down in the front yards and refrigerators on the front porches of everybody's mobile home. It is really frustrating for those of us living out of state.

oldfart

I worked at the University of Arkansas for 48 years and never in all that time did i ever hear of it referred to as "the University of Arkansas--Fayetteville".

bennyl08

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 04, 2017, 06:32:33 am
No, he coached at The University of San Diego, a private Catholic college. UC San Diego does not play football.

Too busy funding the Alabama of Oceanography programs with Scripps.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

texas tush hog

Quote from: oldfart on March 04, 2017, 09:42:08 am
I worked at the University of Arkansas for 48 years and never in all that time did i ever hear of it referred to as "the University of Arkansas--Fayetteville".

My point exactly, the sportswriters, RD included, should be ashamed.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 04, 2017, 05:45:27 pm

My point exactly, the sportswriters, RD included, should be ashamed.

You realize the copy editors make sure they're in there? And they work for someone, just like the majority of Americans.

(notOM)Rebel123

Don't forget ASU- Querétaro, Mexico
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

(notOM)Rebel123

Nope....

bennyl08

Depends on who you mean by "they"

https://www.astate.edu/college/university-college/learning-commons/tutoring/

QuoteSUBJECTS TUTORED
The tutors are able to help students in almost all 1000- and 2000-level general education courses and some upper division core courses. Services are for students in Arkansas State-Jonesboro courses only.

Again, academically, it is common for there to be the city attached to the school if it is part of a system. Sports, it is extremely rare for that to happen unless there are other schools on the same tier.

Sivad

swineology

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Sivad on March 05, 2017, 04:24:39 pm
What a total crock on the part of the Democrat-Gazette. Fake News.

Dem-Gazette < Grit

Hoggish1

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2017, 04:37:34 pm
Has nothing to do with political correctness.

Also, almost every other school where @            applies also does that. Academically, you often hear about UT-Knoxville. When talking about the university as a whole, I always say UC-Boulder. UNC is often referred to as UNC-Chapel Hill, and so on and so forth. UM-Ann Arbor...UW-Madison, UT-Austin, etc...

Sports are one of the few areas where you don't see the city distinction since it is rare for two schools in the same university system to have teams in the same division/conversation.

Uh... yes?

Hoggish1

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2017, 04:37:34 pm
Has nothing to do with political correctness.

Also, almost every other school where @            applies also does that. Academically, you often hear about UT-Knoxville. When talking about the university as a whole, I always say UC-Boulder. UNC is often referred to as UNC-Chapel Hill, and so on and so forth. UM-Ann Arbor...UW-Madison, UT-Austin, etc...

Sports are one of the few areas where you don't see the city distinction since it is rare for two schools in the same university system to have teams in the same division/conversation.

Uh... yes?
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 03, 2017, 05:48:16 am
Actually there are three UC schools playing football. The UC Davis Aggies play in the Big Sky Conference.

OK fine, but we're talking about big boy stuff here, right?  All the UW @ wherevers play football, too...

Inhogswetrust

March 05, 2017, 05:20:52 pm #83 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:28:39 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 11:01:42 am
Would like a list of links showing they do? Or would 100 links simply be met with "well, that's just 100 people, so..."

It is more common in some places, but I still bet most main campuses unless they are in a major metro area, do not often refer to the city name when brought up in conversation or by the media. When asked where I went to college, I never say The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, and nobody else I know does. That's true of where I live for ALL the other schools in the south and was true mostly by those everywhere I've worked across the country.

slowride

I could actually imagine a case where this actually works to our advantage with recruits.  If they think it's a school they haven't looked at before, they might take some time to give us some consideration.  Maybe this gets us a few more visits.  Also, recruits might be more interested if they knew that our main campus is located in the same area that is headquarters of Walmart, one of the world's biggest companies.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 05:50:50 pm
You realize the copy editors make sure they're in there? And they work for someone, just like the majority of Americans.

Er, okay, RD receives a measure of grace, the rest, not so much.

lasthog

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 02, 2017, 03:46:30 am
No big deal. Just like the University of Texas at Austin, University Of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, University of Mississippi at Oxford, University of Georgia at Athens, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, the University of Oklahoma at Norman, or the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. I would expect our glorious sportswriters to make the change on them asap.

I notice Arkansas is scheduled to play an Alabama school in football later this year.  I do hope it is the UAB or the UAH and not the UAT.

The UAT is a tough team.