Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lunardi has 5 SEC teams in...

Started by Bogghawg, February 27, 2017, 07:04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

Includes Vandy, but they finish with KY and FL.  Don't know what they would have to do in those two games and the SEC Tourney to stay in.  Also, the Hogs - FL game on Wednesday didn't make his list of games with bubble teams.  Has he declared us a lock?  I know we're a 9 seed as of today. (All according to Lunardi's best guess)
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

WaltKowalski

Quote from: Bogghawg on February 27, 2017, 07:04:10 pm
Includes Vandy, but they finish with KY and FL.  Don't know what they would have to do in those two games and the SEC Tourney to stay in.  Also, the Hogs - FL game on Wednesday didn't make his list of games with bubble teams.  Has he declared us a lock?  I know we're a 9 seed as of today. (All according to Lunardi's best guess)

But bleacher report blogger says we need to win out? Its hard to know who to believe anymore.

Hawg Red

Tough to envision Vandy hanging on to that tourney spot with their remaining schedule. They'd have to make an SECT run to offset.

lefty08

Quote from: WaltKowalski on February 27, 2017, 07:05:37 pm
But bleacher report blogger says we need to win out? Its hard to know who to believe anymore.

Not bleacher report

Not now

Not ever
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

forrest city joe

Bull crap.no way in hell we need to win out. in fact most of these people think we are a lock. and so do i.don't believe everything you read on bleacher report.

snf6278

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 27, 2017, 08:37:45 pm
Bull crap.no way in hell we need to win out. in fact most of these people think we are a lock. and so do i.don't believe everything you read on bleacher report.
Calm down Joe. Sometimes you have to look at the source. It's kinda like dealing with the trolls around here. If Lunardi has us as a lock then it's a pretty safe bet! WPS!!!

JONAS

Jerry Palm still has us on the bubble.

navyhog24

JONAS

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 27, 2017, 09:54:11 pm
And Jerry Palm is an idiot

Maybe so, but I am very nervous.   I remember back when a 9-7 SEC record was good enough to get into the tournament.

Raymond Zorback

Palm has been undervaluing us all year, before the Missouri loss when Lunardi had us as a 9 seed, Palm didn't even have us in the tournament and we were like 16-4.
You can call me Ray.

Rawker

Look people.  FL game is a wash.  Would be fun if we won it, but GA is the only game that's a even half of a serious concern.  That game is all about (1) trying to have a shot at 3rd in the conference if SC trips up further and (2) not giving anyone in the committee the excuse to think like someone in the Bleachbart Report.  Those types of people want every team in the ACC and BigEast to be in and everyone in the SEC but KY and FL (even if FL was having a bad year) to be out (There's a good reason for that, btw.  If you've been from 1 mile south of Gainseville to the bottom of FL you would notice that practically everyone in FL is one step away from Jersey or New York).  So, winning the GA game is an important goal.  Winning the FL game is just not...flat out, no way....when it comes to tournament concerns.  Stop fretting about random typing turds and start celebrating a kick ass year that admittedly had a few key...ahem....teaching moments.  We're goin', baby!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 27, 2017, 07:32:25 pm
Tough to envision Vandy hanging on to that tourney spot with their remaining schedule. They'd have to make an SECT run to offset.

They have nothing to lose and everything to gain with those two games though. Even losing both will only slide them back a game or two on the s-curve, while a win could shoot them up a seed a pop. With those two and the SEC tournament they should get at least three shots to against UK and UF, winning one of them and not losing to a patsy in the SECT might be enough to hold them over with their SOS.

Currently their RPI is at 48. Losing both will only drop them to 51, while winning one would jump them to 43, winning both up to 33. Florida could lose their last 2 regular season games and still have a Top 10 RPI, so I'll be rooting for Vandy next weekend unless it ends up conflicting with our shot at the 4 seed.

Raymond Zorback

Quote from: Rawker on February 27, 2017, 10:07:12 pm
Look people.  FL game is a wash.  Would be fun if we won it, but GA is the only game that's a even half of a serious concern.  That game is all about (1) trying to have a shot at 3rd in the conference if SC trips up further and (2) not giving anyone in the committee the excuse to think like someone in the Bleachbart Report.  Those types of people want every team in the ACC and BigEast to be in and everyone in the SEC but KY and FL (even if FL was having a bad year) to be out (There's a good reason for that, btw.  If you've been from 1 mile south of Gainseville to the bottom of FL you would notice that practically everyone in FL is one step away from Jersey or New York).  So, winning the GA game is an important goal.  Winning the FL game is just not...flat out, no way....when it comes to tournament concerns.  Stop fretting about random typing turds and start celebrating a kick ass year that admittedly had a few key...ahem....teaching moments.  We're goin', baby!

This is a good post. 
You can call me Ray.

LZH

Quote from: Rawker on February 27, 2017, 10:07:12 pm

From Sarasota to Naples and from Port St. Lucie to Miami, yes...lots of retired Northeasterners. But those folks don't really care about college bball.

The rest of Florida is pretty redneck.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: JONAS on February 27, 2017, 09:52:35 pm
Jerry Palm still has us on the bubble.

Any relation to Rosie and Harry?
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

upperdeck_hawg

Vandy is at 13 losses. I think no team has made the tourney with more than 14 losses. I don't see how they don't end up with at least 15 losses given those two games and the SEC tournament.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Raymond Zorback

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 27, 2017, 11:12:30 pm
Vandy is at 13 losses. I think no team has made the tourney with more than 14 losses. I don't see how they don't end up with at least 15 losses given those two games and the SEC tournament.

They're right on the bubble but they have to beat Florida or Kentucky AND win their first game in the tournament.  They have work to do. 
You can call me Ray.

SPAL

I think we are in no matter what happens the rest of the way due to the inadequacy of the bubble. I mean, you're sitting here talking about vandy being a bubble team.....If they are a bubble team, we are solidly in.

Now, what concerns me about the next two games us the rebound effect. What happens against Georgia if Florida kicks our teeth in. We've maintained a consistent pattern of getting beat badly or by bad teams and then carrying it to the next game...

Kentucky-Mississippi state
Missouri-Vanderbilt

Oddly enough, the only loss we didn't carry over was Florida and we played well at Tennessee.

Raymond Zorback

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 27, 2017, 11:35:07 pm
I think we are in no matter what happens the rest of the way due to the inadequacy of the bubble. I mean, you're sitting here talking about vandy being a bubble team.....If they are a bubble team, we are solidly in.

Now, what concerns me about the next two games us the rebound effect. What happens against Georgia if Florida kicks our teeth in. We've maintained a consistent pattern of getting beat badly or by bad teams and then carrying it to the next game...

Kentucky-Mississippi state
Missouri-Vanderbilt

Oddly enough, the only loss we didn't carry over was Florida and we played well at Tennessee.

We got blown out at Oklahoma State and then beat Bama by 20.
You can call me Ray.

Rawker

Quote from: LZH on February 27, 2017, 11:08:33 pm
From Sarasota to Naples and from Port St. Lucie to Miami, yes...lots of retired Northeasterners. But those folks don't really care about college bball.

The point is not what actual Floridians think - it's the ACC/BigEast-only "bloggers" that fancy themselves to be worth regard in basketball matters.  During BBall season, they only know of two schools - KY and FL.  Everyone else has to beat an ACC or BigEast school to be worth mentioning.  Though I'm all in with these guys, I personally don't think this Hog team is quite talented enough to make people of that ilk eat their Sports Blog posts, but I'm hoping this team, by at least going to the dance, is a bridge to those future teams that will.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Raymond Zorback on February 27, 2017, 10:05:42 pm
Palm has been undervaluing us all year, before the Missouri loss when Lunardi had us as a 9 seed, Palm didn't even have us in the tournament and we were like 16-4.
Is that all you look at is record? We had beaten nobody at that time.

lefty08

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 28, 2017, 07:37:36 am
The rpi and OOC SOS disagrees
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on February 28, 2017, 08:11:33 am
The rpi and OOC SOS disagrees

Some of you don't even finish reading the posts or look at the dates on the posts to which you respond.  Palm was looking beyond just the RPI at that time. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ifghog

We really need the GA win. Florida does not matter. I believe if we beat GA we are a lock. We lose to them then we have to win at least one tourney game. Today as much as some don't like it we are still a bubble team.

hobhog

Quote from: ifghog on February 28, 2017, 08:45:23 am
We really need the GA win. Florida does not matter. I believe if we beat GA we are a lock. We lose to them then we have to win at least one tourney game. Today as much as some don't like it we are still a bubble team.

Agree. Win one of last two to punch ticket. Lose them both and nail biting time.

navyhog24

Quote from: ifghog on February 28, 2017, 08:45:23 am

We won't lose to UGA. Yes, they have JJ Frazier and the kid put on a show against LSU, but we have a lot of guys to throw at him and tire him out. We will beat UGA.

GuvHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 28, 2017, 09:10:45 am
We won't lose to UGA. Yes, they have JJ Frazier and the kid put on a show against LSU, but we have a lot of guys to throw at him and tire him out. We will beat UGA.

Frazier is a good player but that Georgia team is not the same without Yante Maten in the middle and that was obvious in their close win over Bama where they barely managed to score 60 points. Yante took a lot of pressure off of Frazier but now that Yante is gone for the rest of the regular season, Frazier is being forced to carry the team and I don't think he is capable of doing that against the better SEC teams.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cardsNhogs

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 28, 2017, 09:10:45 am
I agree

lstewart

I think if we finish 0-3, lose last 2 against Florida and Georgia, then 0-1 at SEC tourney, good chance we don't get in. Win one more game, finishing 1-2, probably 80% chance we are in. 2 more wins and we are a lock.

Youngsta71701

I'll take Lunardi over bleacher report any day.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

RyeHogFan

Quote from: Adam Stokes on February 27, 2017, 10:08:24 pm
Florida could lose their last 2 regular season games and still have a Top 10 RPI, so I'll be rooting for Vandy next weekend unless it ends up conflicting with our shot at the 4 seed.

If we beat Florida Wednesday, then I'll definitely be rooting for Vandy on Saturday as that will give us a chance to tie for 2nd place with the Gators. That's a big IF of course.

Raymond Zorback

We also had a top 25 RPI at that time.
You can call me Ray.

ShadowHawg

May or may not hold but what is sad to me is that there is a poster on here now trying to claim that the conference is historically weak this season as the reason we have the 3rd seed in the conference as of now.

Of course they also claim that was the reason we finished second in the conference 2 years ago. In that historically down season, the SEC had 5 teams in the tournament as well.

Crazy

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 28, 2017, 12:04:57 pm
May or may not hold but what is sad to me is that there is a poster on here now trying to claim that the conference is historically weak this season as the reason we have the 3rd seed in the conference as of now.

Of course they also claim that was the reason we finished second in the conference 2 years ago. In that historically down season, the SEC had 5 teams in the tournament as well.

Crazy

Don't let a poster like that bother you. 

If Vandy can beat Florida this weekend, they will end the regular season with 14 losses.  Unless they win the SECT(which then they are in automatically of course), they will be at 15 losses.  Most losses ever for an at large team is 14 ten times with the last in 2011 when 5 teams made it in with 14 losses.  One of those 5 won a game in the tourney - Marquette who actually made it to the Sw 16.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-02-17/college-basketball-teams-make-ncaa-tournament-double-digit
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawg66

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawg66 on February 28, 2017, 12:24:18 pm
ESPN bubble watch has Hogs as "should be in "http://m.espn.com/ncb/bubblewatch?src=desktop

Not a lot of respect in that and not just talking about the comments directly about us. 

"slide that had cost the Gamecocks three of their past four games, mostly against mediocre competition"

"After four straight wins, the Commodores are 16-13 overall, 9-7 in the SEC, own a road win at Florida and home wins over Iowa State and South Carolina,.."  - no road win at Arkansas mention

And no mentioned in UGa comments about a chance for them to get a good road win this weekend. 

(not agreeing with Brennan's views - Vandy should get credit for the BWA win in their resume discussion no matter how we were playing as should the opportunity for UGa)

LR HAWG

Quote from: lstewart on February 28, 2017, 09:31:33 am
I think if we finish 0-3, lose last 2 against Florida and Georgia, then 0-1 at SEC tourney, good chance we don't get in. Win one more game, finishing 1-2, probably 80% chance we are in. 2 more wins and we are a lock.

WRONG ESPN has us at a 95% getting in AFTER the auburn win..

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 28, 2017, 12:04:57 pm

Crazy
You haven't noticed? Every time we do good in the SEC it's because the conference is weak. Come on man get with the program. ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Rawker

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 28, 2017, 02:36:44 pm
You haven't noticed? Every time we do good in the SEC it's because the conference is weak. Come on man get with the program. ;D

Yeah, that dude is WAAAAAAY late to the party and doesn't realized he just stepped into the Forum of Infinite Alternative Sports Facts and Sorrows.

Here are some actual facts, and some of them are pretty surprising:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/hogs-on-brink-of-history-in-final-sec-road-tilt/

HotlantaHog

Quote from: LZH on February 27, 2017, 11:08:33 pm

Would say lots of retired Northerners from Spring Hill/Lakeland about an hour north of Tamp south to Miami ... Lots of retirees in Pasco and Hernando counties, not to mention St. Petersburg .... But yeah, throughout Florida, there is very little interest in college hoops.