Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC football's notable NCAA cases over the years

Started by jbcarol, February 26, 2017, 02:52:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/835841532120952832

QuoteNCAA allegations against Ole Miss released Wednesday are some of the most explosive regarding an SEC school in many years.

The Rebels have already taken a one-year postseason ban, making them the first SEC football team to do so since State in 2004. By the time the NCAA Committee on Infractions is done with Ole Miss, its program could be crippled in a similar way to how Bama's was in the early 2000s.

However, there was a time that the NCAA was uncovering major violations by SEC programs on a regular basis. NCAA enforcement staff was formed in 1952, just in time to give Kentucky basketball the death penalty the following year.

There have been a number of major NCAA cases involving other sports, including Kentucky basketball again in the late 1980s. However, as you would expect, most of the more noteworthy infractions by SEC schools have involved football.

Here's a look back at some of the more noteworthy cases over the years:

Auburn, 1956

The violations: Through Auburn assistant coach Hal Herring, a booster was found to have given $500 each to Harry and Robert Beaube, twin brothers from Emma Sansom High School in Gadsden, in order to induce them to play for the Tigers.

The sanctions: Auburn was hit with three years of probation, a two-year postseason ban and a two-year television ban through the 1957 season. The probation was the longest ever handed out by the NCAA at that time.

The aftermath: Auburn went 10-0 and claimed the Associated Press national championship in 1957...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

Repeat offending schools mentioned....Bama, old barn,  florida, old misses and Mistake.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi