Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UG DT Trent Thompson withdrawing from classes after a medical episode

Started by jbcarol, February 23, 2017, 05:52:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/834908260331360256

Quote"Trenton has been dealing with a significant medical issue which required emergency hospitalization and extended hospital stay. Trenton was recently discharged from the hospital and remains under close medical care. With respect to last night's incident, the physical appearance and behavior described in the UGA PD report is solely related to an adverse reaction to medications prescribed specifically for his medical condition. The adverse reaction required emergency transport to Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center where he was treated and released. Toxicology tests performed at the hospital were negative for OxyContin. We cannot release any further information at this time due to federal privacy laws. Due to the medical issues, Trenton is withdrawing from classes this semester, and his family requests privacy during this time."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/839872721869815809

QuoteThompson and his family have gone dark, and nobody knows how to get in touch with them. Both Thompson and his mother, Bridgette Flewellen, have changed their cell-phone numbers. Very rarely can either one be found at their West Albany home these days.

This week, Trent and his mother are on a mini-vacation in Panama City Beach, according to Uncle Tim Ellis. UGA is currently on spring break.

"They just needed to get away a little while," he said.

"It's a lot of things," said Ellis, who has seen Thompson "a couple times" since all this happened. "Mainly it's all that pressure he's putting on himself. Trent, he's a country boy, and he's up there with 40,000 people on that big ol' campus. But he's going to be all right. It might just take a while. He just needs people's support."

Ellis said his nephew has been "out of sorts" for a while. He had surgery in January for a shoulder injury he played with most of last season, then was "really upset" after his position coach Tracy Rocker abruptly left the team without explanation in early February.

"I know they say you don't sign with a school because of the coaches, because they move around so much, but they were really close," Ellis said of Thompson and Rocker. "He's the main reason he went there. That was tough on him."

Octavia Jones, Thompson's coach at Westover High, saw Thompson this past weekend in Atlanta.

"He's lost a lot of weight," he said. "He looks more like a defensive end than a defensive tackle."

Asked if Thompson was below 300 pounds now, Jones said, "oh, yeah. More like 265 or 270. He still has his muscles, he's just not as thick."

Thompson remains on weight-lifting restriction since the surgery, Jones said.

"I think it's stress, I really do," Jones said. "I think he's feeling a lot of pressure. And all the stuff with Coach Rocker really bothered him. I still haven't heard from anybody who can tell me what happened with all that."

Ellis concurs.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/842059678918025218

QuoteThompson, the star defensive lineman who has withdrawn from classes this summer to deal with an unspecified medical issue, is still with the team in an unofficial capacity, and looks on track to return fully this summer.

"He's doing really well," head coach Kirby Smart said Wednesday. "Very pleased with his progress. He continues to get better, and that's the biggest thing for us right now, is a day-by-day process of rehabbing his shoulder and making sure he's well. He's done a very good job of that. He's increased his weight too."

Thompson, the team's co-leader in sacks last season, was hospitalized last month what the school called an "adverse reaction to medications prescribed specifically for his medical condition." He subsequently withdrew from classes to concentrate on what the school also called a "significant medical issue."

But Thompson has remained in Athens most of the time. He's rehabbing his shoulder, which was injured prior and separate to the medical incident, and Smart said there were some "waivers in process" to allow him to participate in meetings.

"He's not going to participate in spring practice but he wasn't going to do that anyway, with the shoulder (injury)," Smart said. "So the biggest thing is from a health concern, and also from his rehab concern."

Thompson had lost a lot of weight, down to about 265-270 pounds, his uncle said last week. But it appears he has put some of it back on, and Smart said he's benefitting from still being around the team.

"I think that gives him some normalcy. I think that's what he's looking for," Smart said. "He's wanting a normal routine, getting back on that routine is (good). I think spring break helped, to have him here with Ron rehabbing and doing the things he needed to do. That was a great added bonus for him."

He might not have made it playing for The Bear.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864140992265543684

Quote"He'll be back in summer school," Smart said on Monday.

Thompson withdrew from classes in February to deal with an unspecified medical issue, which followed an incident when he had to be treated at the hospital. But he remained in Athens and around the team, and in March it was apparent that his chances of returning to the team were good.

Summer school classes begin at Georgia on June 5. Thompson is not enrolled in "Maymester" classes, but Smart said very few of his players are.

Thompson is on track to return for the start of preseason practice in August, as well as perhaps summer workouts. Thompson has been dealing with a shoulder injury as well.

"Trenton's done a great job of rehabbing. His shoulder is much better," Smart said. "He's been able to move a lot better than he was before. Medically he's done real well. He in there [in Athens] in May."