Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss Mess

Started by BigBabyHog71, February 22, 2017, 11:38:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBabyHog71

Does anyone besides me think that the player that received the benefits should be suspended from playing for a year or so as well regardless of what school they went too.  Also the family should be made to pay the money back.  I think this would help deter some of the players and families from partaking in this type of mess with boosters. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBabyHog71 on February 22, 2017, 11:38:21 pm
Does anyone besides me think that the player that received the benefits should be suspended from playing for a year or so as well regardless of what school they went too.  Also the family should be made to pay the money back.  I think this would help deter some of the players and families from partaking in this type of mess with boosters.
Your raise some good points. Certainly worth considering and perhaps adopting.

Torqued pork

Who would make the family pay the money back? The NCAA? Our judicial system?

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Dumb ole famrboy

My understanding is the player was granted immunity for his testimony.

lahawg1

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on February 23, 2017, 06:00:48 am
My understanding is the player was granted immunity for his testimony.

I understand he was granted immunity from the NCAA but what about the IRS? That could get interesting and yes, I do realize the IRS has far more important things to investigate but if his testimony is on record it's low hanging fruit.

bob slydell

If the immunity falls through, he always has the Cecil Newton loophole to fall back on.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

rmcchris

He got immunity for his cooperation and testimony.  Read it in an article last night.

PorkRinds

They're never going to be able to prove an exact dollar amount. So "pay it back" may sound good but it's really not possible. I do agree that players should be punished as well and that if they were a lot of the issues would improve.

sickboy

I don't in this situation. Because the kid turned state's evidence. If you don't grant whistleblowers immunity, there will be no whistleblowers. I know this is a contentious issue... but the only way you're going to catch these programs is kids like this coming forward and with no fear of repercussions, they will.

If you punish the kid now, you're neutering yourself as a governing body.

Sed76

Sounds like they might want to investigate Mississippi State. This kid and family took money from Ole Miss but then signed with a rival school. Sure would appear the Rebel Black Bears got outbid.

code red

Again allegations by the NCAA.  Let due process proceed.  In addition.  Why are we talking about this?  I could care.  Its Ole Miss  :puke:
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogman64

Quote from: lahawg1 on February 23, 2017, 07:26:41 am
I understand he was granted immunity from the NCAA but what about the IRS? That could get interesting and yes, I do realize the IRS has far more important things to investigate but if his testimony is on record it's low hanging fruit.

GIFTS   are not taxable....

a0ashle

it is likely an unpopular opinion, but you won't solve the problem by going after the lowest man on the totem pole, you have to go after the individuals with the power. Same reason any immigration reform that doesn't go hard after companies for hiring illegal immigrants is a joke.

Calling All Hogs

It's not like these kids commit the crime of the century. They take money in exchange for favoring a University. Some don't even wind up going to that school. I think it's mainly on the school breaking the rules and maybe should affect the eligibility of the player for a season.

BigBabyHog71

Quote from: a0ashle on February 23, 2017, 12:57:16 pm
it is likely an unpopular opinion, but you won't solve the problem by going after the lowest man on the totem pole, you have to go after the individuals with the power. Same reason any immigration reform that doesn't go hard after companies for hiring illegal immigrants is a joke.

Good Point!

BigBabyHog71

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 23, 2017, 11:54:56 am
They're never going to be able to prove an exact dollar amount. So "pay it back" may sound good but it's really not possible. I do agree that players should be punished as well and that if they were a lot of the issues would improve.
I don't think the exact amount is the point.  To me really its determent.  Can we put things in place to deter boosters, schools, and athletes to not partake in this crap because it is not fair to the kids, coaches, and teams that do it the right way with no extra curricular earnings.  How many does that include?  We will never know!

Pig Papi

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2017, 12:56:49 pm

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/gift-tax

MOST people will not have to pay gift tax if they simply understand estate tax rules and how to use the unified credit. 

Hoggish1

I'm with you on that. 

And, while we're at it, make the HC and the AD forfeit an equal sum of $.  Maybe if that happened, those two entities would be more diligent and run a tighter ship....

Hoggish1

I'm with you on that. 

And, while we're at it, make the HC and the AD forfeit an equal sum of $.  Maybe if that happened, those two entities would be more diligent and run a tighter ship....
Quote from: code red on February 23, 2017, 12:50:58 pm
Again allegations by the NCAA.  Let due process proceed.  In addition.  Why are we talking about this?  I could care.  Its Ole Miss  :puke:

Anything that has to do with Olepiss is fair game to talk about.  Because they exist they should be busted.

PorkSoda

its an ncaa issue not a criminal issue.  the ncaa can't really do anything to the  boosters, parents or the players.  they can only do things to the schools and even that is pretty limited.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jdlew

Looks like it the ones talking did not go to OM...you got to know that some past and present player got paid also...but they are not talking...

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 23, 2017, 05:24:43 pm
I'm with you on that. 

Anything that has to do with Olepiss is fair game to talk about.  Because they exist they should be busted.

The NCAA already has a provision (rule) that states the Head Coach is/can be held accountable for any recruiting violation by any of his assistants, whether he knew or not.  Basically indicating he SHOULD have know about if it happened on his watch.

With the seriousness of the allegations, which includes 21 violations and lack of institutional control, Bucky and the AD both will likely be looking for new employment.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 23, 2017, 05:32:17 pm
its an ncaa issue not a criminal issue.  the ncaa can't really do anything to the  boosters, parents or the players.  they can only do things to the schools and even that is pretty limited.

Actually, there is something the NCAA can do to boosters; they can ban them from participation in the program, which includes even game attendance.

Bkhardicars

I think the fact that the NCAA granted immunity to players shows how bad they wanted to get Ole Miss. They NCAA was embarrassed on draft night and royally pissed. I believe they are going to make an example in this case.Not to the extent of an SMU type penalty but it will be tougher than USC's.

sowmonella

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on February 23, 2017, 06:39:32 pm
Actually, there is something the NCAA can do to boosters; they can ban them from participation in the program, which includes even game attendance.
School should be able to sue the offending boosters for lost of income and prestige. I guess in Ole Misses case the prestige part wouldn't apply.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

The real Hogules

Then just strip the athlete who accepted illegal inducements of his ammature status and be done with it!
Yes, I understand that he was given immunity, but if Old Myth doesn't receive more than just a slap on the wrist, then TWO cheats will have been given a free pass.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PorkSoda

Quote from: sowmonella on February 23, 2017, 07:14:19 pm
School should be able to sue the offending boosters for lost of income and prestige. I guess in Ole Misses case the prestige part wouldn't apply.
so you don't think OM knew about what was going on?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 23, 2017, 05:32:17 pm

You sure about that? What about Ohio State and Terrell Pryor among others with tattoo-gate? Also AJ Green with Georgia? Both examples of the NCAA doing something to the specific players.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

biglewhog77

I think the whole program should be banned for year and the person that paid the player should get banned for 5 years

gibby

IRS Audit.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 23, 2017, 03:40:28 am
Who would make the family pay the money back? The NCAA? Our judicial system?
Also, how do you prove that the money was paid.  The whole point of these types of transactions it to not leave a money trail
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: gibby on February 24, 2017, 09:15:48 am
IRS Audit.
How exactly is that going to prove someone received money under the table?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Seebs

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 24, 2017, 09:50:59 am
How exactly is that going to prove someone received money under the table?

Forensic Audit -

A forensic audit is an examination and evaluation of a firm's or individual's financial information for use as evidence in court. A forensic audit can be conducted in order to prosecute a party for fraud, embezzlement or other financial claims.

You cannot just say no - if this occurs you will be destroyed.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

The Bruce Feldman podcast said that Rivals has revealed who the player is and what school he currently attends. Has anyone heard who it is?

Edit: It's Miss. St. of course. Part of the article:

Ole Miss, per multiple sources, possesses a recording, and has given the SEC a copy, of Lewis' mother asking Ole Miss for money and detailing incentives she received from other programs, including Mississippi State.

colbs

Not saying other schools shouldn't be punished but Ole Miss looks bad.  First they pretty much deny everything then when the NCAA comes down on them with proof they start trying to tell on other programs.  Maybe I'd have a little more respect for them if they came clean upfront and told on other programs.

Pork Twain

February 24, 2017, 11:14:20 am #37 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:26:16 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Seebs on February 24, 2017, 10:19:26 am
Forensic Audit -

A forensic audit is an examination and evaluation of a firm's or individual's financial information for use as evidence in court. A forensic audit can be conducted in order to prosecute a party for fraud, embezzlement or other financial claims.

You cannot just say no - if this occurs you will be destroyed.
Assuming there is a trail...and you know who you are going to audit and are you going to be willing to commit time and money based of hearsay?  I would say that a booster giving a player a little cash does not leave that big of a footprint and is likely not worth the man-hours.  I mean who really tracks every penny the spend?  To scale, I probably blow as much money on BS things as these rich boosters hand out to players but there might be very little evidence of what I actually spent my money on.

The Hawg Marshal

My only hope is that we are as clean as we think we are. It sounds like the Black Bears are going to try and take down anyone and everyone they can.

sowmonella

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 23, 2017, 08:37:53 pm
so you don't think OM knew about what was going on?

I'm sure they knew and were involved. I was only suggesting that punishing boosters as well would be a deterrent.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.

woodhog73

I would think that the INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE WOULD be interested in speaking with those families that received $$$. It is taxable income.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on February 24, 2017, 11:19:39 am
My only hope is that we are as clean as we think we are. It sounds like the Black Bears are going to try and take down anyone and everyone they can.

We are as clean as we think we are. Ain't nobody dropping thousands of dollars for high level recruits here. Heck we don't really even get any of them. 

Vantage 8 dude

Find this particular 2013 twitt from Freeze to be particularly ironic/laughable: "If you have facts about violations send it to compliance @olemiss.edu. If not, please do not slander these young men or insult their families". Hummm......considering all the dirt that's now officially being revealed I suppose either Ole Miss's compliance website was down during the past 3+ years or someone in the compliance area didn't get the word to "coach" that his staff's bribes and payoffs weren't being sufficiently covered up. What a total slime/scum bag!!

Miss St offered Cam money, and got this player who took $13,000 from OM. Yet he NCAA isn't investigating them. Odd.

Vantage 8 dude

February 24, 2017, 01:17:31 pm #44 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:50:25 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2017, 01:02:23 pm
Miss St offered Cam money, and got this player who took $13,000 from OM. Yet he NCAA isn't investigating them. Odd.
Well you have to understand the NCAA investigating that "school up north" took all their efforts and attention. Besides, who'd want to spend the money and time going down to Starkville to actually investigate them? I darn well know I wouldn't!!

Pork Twain

I honestly do not blame the kids and think they should be left out of it, other than being a witness.  You have all of these 'adults' in positions of authority throwing money at you when you are 16-19, and many of them are coming from some pretty tough situations.  Other than not claiming it on their taxes, has a teenager that accepts money from a coach, recruiter or booster, really broken any law?

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/28/148610494/the-illegal-procedure-of-paying-college-athletes

This one is a really good read

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

lasthog

Is it a possibility that a player that receives improper benefits might be a little hard to coach?  Discipline?

Could this cause dissension in the locker room?

I would pass on that job.

LittlePigMan

As far as income taxes go any "gift" under 14 grand isn't taxable.

sowmonella

Quote from: LittlePigMan on February 24, 2017, 02:56:52 pm
But greatly appreciated.

ricepig

Quote from: LittlePigMan on February 24, 2017, 02:56:52 pm

So.....the $80,000 Lewis got from MSU is taxable????