Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

grad transfer

Started by I mustache you a question, February 20, 2017, 12:33:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 20, 2017, 10:03:54 pm
I'm not quite sure I would call Clemson a feeder program because one guy left (questionably for trouble I thought?) and became a mid tier SEC QB among a team littered with paid for studs that couldn't beat Arkansas.  But nice try Clemson boy

Watson and Stoudt was talent that Chad Kelly could not overcome.  Kelly got frustrated during their Spring Game due to lack of playing time, and he got into verbal argument with one of their Coaches.  They promptly showed Kelly the door.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2017, 10:13:18 pm
Watson and Stoudt was talent that Chad Kelly could not overcome.  Kelly got frustrated during their Spring Game due to lack of playing time, and he got into verbal argument with one of their Coaches.  They promptly showed Kelly the door.

By your definition then Michigan is a feeder program as well, since they blessed us with mallett and a few years later possible big OL.

bennyl08

Quote from: HenduHog on February 20, 2017, 09:40:33 pm
Not going to turn down a quality player, but judging from his low number of tackles, I would guess he wasn't a starter this year. He started 9 games in '15. Didn't Clemson bring in some really great young players this yer?

He played in 11/14 games, started 4 games. Had 15 "hits" 14 assists for 29 "total". 4.5 tackles for loss with 2 of them being sacks. 4 qb pressures.

Had over 20 snaps in every game but 2. Only had 19 snaps against SC State, so was likely pulled early. I say that because he was listed behind a true freshmen for the national championship depth chart but started 4 games. So, probably was a starter early on before being replaced. 2nd game he had <20 snaps was the Pitt game where he had 9 and didn't play for the next 3 games, presumably was injured. He was then healthy for the Ohio St game where he had 22 snaps and a tackle for loss. Played 41 snaps, his highest season total, against Lou. This was 5 games in, fwiw. As I continue reading, Pagano was an on again, off again starter. He started the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 9th games of the season with the freshman starting the other games. The freshman weighed 340 to his 295 so it was likely a situational thing.

in 2015, he started 9 games, played in 14. 30 "hits", 21 assists, for 51 "total". 2 TFL and 2 qb pressures. So, in less total starts, he became a better pass rusher. Saw 26+ snaps in each of the first 6 games, but 24 or fewer in the final 8. This time, the  player stealing starts from him was a senior who weighed 325 to his still 295. He started the first 8 games and also the 10th with the senior starting the others.

In short, he was a player who had a starting spot only to lose it late in the season as a sophomore to a larger senior. Then, he was splitting time with a true freshmen, though was still a situational starter and a significant player on the team. However, he was losing playing time. In the more situational role (and a year older as well) he became a much better pass rusher and disruptive player.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 20, 2017, 10:23:01 pm
By your definition then Michigan is a feeder program as well, since they blessed us with mallett and a few years later possible big OL.

Yes, Michigan should be considered a feeder program to us.  It usually turns out to be a win-win situation for all parties involved (the team the player leaves, the player, and the team who picks up the player).

While Clemson probably would be glad to have kept Pagano, they won't be hurting on the Defensive Line.  Barring any injuries or any more transfers, they should have 10 Defensive Linemen rotating through-out games next season (4 DTs and 6 DEs). 

bennyl08

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2017, 10:54:36 pm
Yes, Michigan should be considered a feeder program to us.  It usually turns out to be a win-win situation for all parties involved (the team the player leaves, the player, and the team who picks up the player).

While Clemson probably would be glad to have kept Pagano, they won't be hurting on the Defensive Line.  Barring any injuries or any more transfers, they should have 10 Defensive Linemen rotating through-out games next season (4 DTs and 6 DEs).

I guess we are a mid-level feeder program ourselves.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GoHogs1091

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 20, 2017, 11:05:58 pm
I guess we are a mid-level feeder program ourselves.

Under Robert Petrino we definitely were.  While he was here, Robert Petrino was about as good at player retention as he was riding a motorcycle on a curvy road.

One good thing about Coach Bielema is that he has done a good job with player retention.

biglewhog77

I would love to have him but why he wants to leave Clemson

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2017, 10:54:36 pm

Your attempt prop up the contents of the jock strap you are holding called Clemson and its coaching staff failed. One individual does not make a "feeder program" or justify a label.  Again, your analogy makes NC state also a feeder program. Such poor point on your behalf

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 21, 2017, 12:12:22 am
Your attempt prop up the contents of the jock strap you are holding called Clemson and its coaching staff failed. One individual does not make a "feeder program" or justify a label.  Again, your analogy makes NC state also a feeder program. Such poor point on your behalf

One individual???

Last time I checked, Chad Kelly and Scott Pagano are 2 individuals.

Clemson also had a 4 Star Offensive Tackle, Jake Fruhmorgen, who is going somewhere else.  Fruhmorgen was a Starter the first 8 games of 2016.

That is 3 right there.  There may be some others that they have fed to other schools over the last few years.

tomarkansawyer

What about the Texas Tech kid, Breiden Fehoko? Has anyone heard if he is interested. Our new D-line coach recruited him to Texas Tech, but didn't get a chance to coach him. I would like to see both of these D-linemen wind up as Razorbacks.

scorekeeper

Can he play defensive end? Agim, Jackson, and Pagano would make for a stout defensive line. 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 21, 2017, 12:38:16 am
One individual???

Last time I checked, Chad Kelly and Scott Pagano are 2 individuals.

Clemson also had a 4 Star Offensive Tackle, Jake Fruhmorgen, who is going somewhere else.  Fruhmorgen was a Starter the first 8 games of 2016.

That is 3 right there.  There may be some others that they have fed to other schools over the last few years.

Oh so by your standards then Arkansas is a feeder program then too.  If we get to label the program when the kids want to transfer out not judge them based on their performance on the playing field.  We could also call UNLV a feeder program then, Texas, and many others. 

Again, your beloved program has transferred out one kid that became a mid SEC QB who couldn't beat Arkansas and had bought and paid for 5 stars all around him.  Now your beloved program that you are trying to call a feeder program has two other kids looking to transfer out, before you place a label on them trying to prop them up you might should wait and see how those kids perform. 

tophawg19

if he's a grad transfer , grades are not an issue . he want's extra playing time and would have to share there . although being as he is a highly rated and considered a good draft choice , i can't see competition being an issue unless he doesn't feel like he will be the main guy
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogfan14

Will visit Arkansas April 7-9

jry04

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2017, 10:02:00 pm
Pagano's situation is similar to Chad Kelly's situation at Clemson.  Just too much elite talent in front of Pagano on the Clemson depth chart (5 Star Defensive Tackles, Wilkins and Lawrence).

Kelly left and was an All-Conference player on a middle-of-the-pack SEC team (Ole Miss).  If the Hogs land Pagano, Pagano could be the best Defensive Lineman for the Hogs the minute he steps foot on campus.

You know a football program is loaded when they have become a feeder to other schools regarding talent who can't quite break through because of elite talent who is ahead of them.  Must be a nice problem to have.   
Yeah, real similar to Chad Kelly's situation...

You do realize Chad Kelly was kicked off Clemson because he was a cancer, right? He did not "leave" he was thrown out.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: hogfan14 on February 21, 2017, 10:55:52 am
Will visit Arkansas April 7-9

Damn glad we are getting a visit from him.  You never know what can happen once you get a kid on campus.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

onebadrubi

Quote from: jry04 on February 21, 2017, 01:50:25 pm
Yeah, real similar to Chad Kelly's situation...

You do realize Chad Kelly was kicked off Clemson because he was a cancer, right? He did not "leave" he was thrown out.

He's too busy licking Veneables jock strap to know what really happened

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 20, 2017, 06:29:31 pm
He has graduated.

He is a grad transfer.
You don't get out much do you?  I'm hoping you are expressing sarcasm. However, this is a message board, so you never know.  I really want to respect everyone, so tell me it was sarcasm.  Lie to me, I'll never know.

lumphog

Quote from: HogFansReunited on February 21, 2017, 02:27:00 pm
Damn glad we are getting a visit from him.  You never know what can happen once you get a kid on campus.
I like our chances.......lets see what kind of recruiting skills C John Scott has, I think he'll be a goodun

grayhawg

Quote from: lumphog on February 21, 2017, 05:46:19 pm
I like our chances.......lets see what kind of recruiting skills C John Scott has, I think he'll be a goodun
SIAP but seen on another board we are in his top three.

jjdlc

Well, the only west coast school on that list is Oregon, so I don't know how much I buy into the story that he wants to go out west.  If he truely is looking for more PT, we can definitely offer that.

bennyl08

Quote from: jjdlc on February 21, 2017, 07:36:52 pm
Well, the only west coast school on that list is Oregon, so I don't know how much I buy into the story that he wants to go out west.  If he truely is looking for more PT, we can definitely offer that.

Can we definitely offer that though?

Bijhon Jackson is about as quick off the snap as you can get for a 330+ pound guy. His biggest issue has been conditioning to stay on the field the whole game.

Beyond him is Capps who is one of our strongest players on the team and is just now going into his second year.

Beyond him is Guidry who isn't as strong as Capps, but is more in that explosive first step kind of mold, which is the same mold that Pagano is in and coaches are very high on Guidry.

From the sounds of things, looks like the coaching staff ideally wants to use more of a 2-gap 3-4 defense, though with some 1 gap mixed in. Guidry and Pagano are ideal for the 1-gap scheme with their penetrative abilities but Jackson and Capps are better suited for the 2-gap with their mass and strength. So, even if Pagano beats out Guidry for the explosive DT list, he'd still be a situational player being way behind Capps and Jackson as a 2-gap NT.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 21, 2017, 08:32:00 am
Can he play defensive end? Agim, Jackson, and Pagano would make for a stout defensive line.
he is a 3-4 DE. and yes it would.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 07:42:38 pm
Can we definitely offer that though?

Bijhon Jackson is about as quick off the snap as you can get for a 330+ pound guy. His biggest issue has been conditioning to stay on the field the whole game.

Beyond him is Capps who is one of our strongest players on the team and is just now going into his second year.

Beyond him is Guidry who isn't as strong as Capps, but is more in that explosive first step kind of mold, which is the same mold that Pagano is in and coaches are very high on Guidry.

From the sounds of things, looks like the coaching staff ideally wants to use more of a 2-gap 3-4 defense, though with some 1 gap mixed in. Guidry and Pagano are ideal for the 1-gap scheme with their penetrative abilities but Jackson and Capps are better suited for the 2-gap with their mass and strength. So, even if Pagano beats out Guidry for the explosive DT list, he'd still be a situational player being way behind Capps and Jackson as a 2-gap NT.
he's too small to play Dt and why would he come here to be 3rd string?? Naw, broski, he is our starter at DE. And the talk is heating up, btw.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 21, 2017, 09:49:46 pm
he's too small to play Dt and why would he come here to be 3rd string?? Naw, broski, he is our starter at DE. And the talk is heating up, btw.

He's 295. Even by 3-4 standards, that's pretty heavy.

So, let's change the question a bit. Agim is a pretty safe bet at one of the DE starting spots. However, do you think he is that sure to start over TJ Smith?

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4064150/tj-smith

Smith has earned the praise of coaches, but has been too small to be a DT but too big to be a DE in the 4-3. He is perfect to start for a 3-4 though. Guidry is currently a pound lighter than Pagano so the same arguments from above apply here.

Remember Raulerson coming here. He started off as the starter, but was quickly passed over by younger players. Now, he did a great job of providing more depth for us and we are still thin on depth on the DL.

However, ask Town about how easy it is to transfer here and be high on the depth chart. I think people underestimate the talent that we have. Few schools have backups that would start for us and we have several backups who would start at a lot of other places.

gchamblee

I honestly dont think he will choose us. I think other coaches will lead him to believe he will get lots of playing time, while CBB will do his normal drill of telling the guy he will get an opportunity to earn playing time just like everyone else. I think this will cause the dude to drop us from consideration. It is pretty well known that CBB doesn't blow smoke up these kids asses and let them come to campus with false hopes or empty promises.

SemperFi

Quote from: gchamblee on February 22, 2017, 08:54:58 am
I honestly dont think he will choose us. I think other coaches will lead him to believe he will get lots of playing time, while CBB will do his normal drill of telling the guy he will get an opportunity to earn playing time just like everyone else. I think this will cause the dude to drop us from consideration. It is pretty well known that CBB doesn't blow smoke up these kids asses and let them come to campus with false hopes or empty promises.

I think the difference between Pagano and a Juco or HS player is that he's proven that he can play at this level where the other's have not. Coach B may not be the type of coach that blows smoke up these recruits butts to get them on campus, but I do believe that he (Pagano) would not have listed us in his top 5 had he not been promised a starting spot.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

gchamblee

Quote from: SemperFi on February 22, 2017, 11:14:54 am
I think the difference between Pagano and a Juco or HS player is that he's proven that he can play at this level where the other's have not. Coach B may not be the type of coach that blows smoke up these recruits butts to get them on campus, but I do believe that he (Pagano) would not have listed us in his top 5 had he not been promised a starting spot.

I'm just saying promising a kid a starting spot is not CBB's M.O. so I doubt that has happened.

southeasthog

Quote from: SemperFi on February 22, 2017, 11:14:54 am
but I do believe that he (Pagano) would not have listed us in his top 5 had he not been promised a starting spot.
No offense but this is the same thing we heard about Ricky Town. Turns out that wasn't the case and there is no way anyone can convince me that Beliema has promised anyone a "starting spot." 

ricepig

Quote from: southeasthog on February 22, 2017, 11:40:18 am
No offense but this is the same thing we heard about Ricky Town. Turns out that wasn't the case and there is no way anyone can convince me that Beliema has promised anyone a "starting spot." 

I don't remember anyone saying Town was promised a starting job, especially since he had to redshirt. Now, I figure like Raulerson, Pagano is being told he can come in and contribute right away. Does that mean he starts, I'm guessing that depends on how it progresses.

southeasthog

Quote from: ricepig on February 22, 2017, 11:44:36 am
I don't remember anyone saying Town was promised a starting job, especially since he had to redshirt. Now, I figure like Raulerson, Pagano is being told he can come in and contribute right away. Does that mean he starts, I'm guessing that depends on how it progresses.
We had a poster on here pretty adamant about Town promised a starting spot. (His opinion)

Cambridge Hog

He just needs to look at a depth chart and realize he can compete for major playing time. He at least us an opportunity to win a starting job.

FANONTHEHILL

Raulerson came in late in the season when Gibson had to shift to LG when Froholdt got banged up a few times.  He played well. He's improved since he arrived and will continue to do so this off season.  If he doesn't crack the starting 5, he will be a valuable backup and special teams lineman. 

Town never caught on TJ the system.  He also never got enough reps to pick things up.  Arkansas had no proven QB and reps were rationed primarily to Austin and Ty.  He's transferred back to California and is currently at top of the depth chart at Ventura JC.  He will have one year there and then two left to play at the D-1 level.  Before Oregeron left USC for LSU in 2015, he was Town's lead recruiter.  We may see Ricky Town again.

It's bad enough to bash a kid that transfers, but to bash a kid still on the roster is even more ridiculous.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 24, 2017, 06:58:41 pm
Raulerson came in late in the season when Gibson had to shift to LG when Froholdt got banged up a few times.  He played well. He's improved since he arrived and will continue to do so this off season.  If he doesn't crack the starting 5, he will be a valuable backup and special teams lineman. 

Town never caught on TJ the system.  He also never got enough reps to pick things up.  Arkansas had no proven QB and reps were rationed primarily to Austin and Ty.  He's transferred back to California and is currently at top of the depth chart at Ventura JC.  He will have one year there and then two left to play at the D-1 level.  Before Oregeron left USC for LSU in 2015, he was Town's lead recruiter.  We may see Ricky Town again.

It's bad enough to bash a kid that transfers, but to bash a kid still on the roster is even more ridiculous.

Yeah, supposedly can't do that on here.......

daBoar

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 10:54:35 pm
....I think people underestimate the talent that we have. Few schools have backups that would start for us and we have several backups who would start at a lot of other places.
If we have plenty of talent, how come we keep blowing 20 point leads at the half?

bennyl08

Quote from: daBoar on February 24, 2017, 09:00:05 pm
If we have plenty of talent, how come we keep blowing 20 point leads at the half?

How many 20 point half time leads have we blown? Answer here is only 1. Though, we finished the season with two mental collapses as a team.

If we didn't have talent, how come we were able to get those big leads in the first place? You can scheme your self to a good opening drive, maybe two, but you can't scheme your way to blowing out somebody else with better talent.

Similarly, if depth of talent is the issue, then what you see is a team keeping it close through the first half but then falling behind in the 2nd.

When you blow a team out of the water only to lose at the end, it is purely mental errors. Getting too comfortable with a lead or too scared to lose it from the coaches. Not having the confidence to get the win as a player.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: southeasthog on February 22, 2017, 11:50:19 am
We had a poster on here pretty adamant about Town promised a starting spot. (His opinion)
Yeah, he's still beating that drum.

imtad16

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on February 24, 2017, 09:42:17 pm
Yeah, he's still beating that drum.

Which is funny because CBB and Enos said in interviews around the time it was announced Town was transferring to Arkansas that they told Town not to come if he was just going to transfer if he didn't win the job.

hogfanny

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 24, 2017, 06:58:41 pm

I hope we do see what Town can do when given a fair chance. Wish the best for him.

factchecker

Quote from: hogfanny on February 25, 2017, 04:39:48 pm
I hope we do see what Town can do when given a fair chance. Wish the best for him.

If a kid transfers from multiple schools then I would say that the problem is with the kid and not his fair chances.

I'm not sure how many Ventura JUCO games are on satellite but hopefully you can keep up with your boy Ricky.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogfanny

Quote from: factchecker on February 25, 2017, 04:44:17 pm
If a kid transfers from multiple schools then I would say that the problem is with the kid and not his fair chances.

I'm not sure how many Ventura JUCO games are on satellite but hopefully you can keep up with your boy Ricky.
OK. Name me one player not named Allen that has had a chance since CBB took over.

factchecker

Quote from: hogfanny on February 25, 2017, 04:54:15 pm
OK. Name me one player not named Allen that has had a chance since CBB took over.

OK. List the stats from every scrimmage that shows any other player deserved a chance.

What was your baby boy's excuse for transferring from USC?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: hogfanny on February 25, 2017, 04:54:15 pm

Every QB that took snaps had the chance to show his ability. I guess you are a "Daddy is on staff, they only play Fayetteville QB" type poster?

factchecker

Should we have put Ricky in during the double OT vs. TCU?

I guess your boy would have done better than the 3rd best QB in the SEC?

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/911/player/split01/category02/sort02.html
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogfanny

Quote from: factchecker on February 25, 2017, 04:55:34 pm
OK. List the stats from every scrimmage that shows any other player deserved a chance.

What was your baby boy's excuse for transferring from USC?
I don't have those statsheets . I never question why a 4-star player wants to come here. I'm just ready for a better QB than your baby boys.

factchecker

Quote from: hogfanny on February 25, 2017, 05:06:27 pm
I don't have those statsheets . I never question why a 4-star player wants to come here. I'm just ready for a better QB than your baby boys.

Well, I'm sorry that your boy toy transferred to a third school (JUCO this time).  Hopefully he gets his shot.  That 4 star rating should propell him to the NFL Hall of Fame.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: hogfanny on February 25, 2017, 05:06:27 pm

Our starters the last two years were 4*........

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2017, 05:16:42 pm
Our starters the last two years were 4*........

Get your facts out of here.  Only California 4 stars count to Misses Hogfanny!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS