Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Season

Started by redleg, February 17, 2017, 11:16:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the minimum amount of wins you deem to be acceptible next season?

10 or more

redleg

Not sure if someone has already done this or not, but hey, what the hell!
I will be ever the optimist and say 9-3. That's right, I guess I'm drinking Kool-Aid, but I'll stick with it unless there are a series of injuries that hit some key starters.
Losses at Alabama and at LSU, and at home to Auburn.
If they get to 9-3, I can see a Citrus Bowl appearance, or maybe even a Cotton Bowl (the semi-final bowls this year will be the Sugar and Rose).

What say you. What are your Ridiculously Early predictions?!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

navyhog24

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on February 17, 2017, 11:46:49 am
7-5 buh bye Bret.

Only in your dreams, he isn't going anywhere next year.

HF#1

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2017, 11:49:09 am

He has been given terms. Rest assured.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HF#1 on February 17, 2017, 11:52:14 am
Is this prj's second account?

Oh, and your full 'o crap.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 17, 2017, 11:57:07 am
Is this prj's second account?

Oh, and your full 'o crap.

Nah, even PRJ will admit he has two more years, minimum.

ifghog

8-4 with a bowl win.....

VirginiaHog

We easy could have been 9-4 this year. We will be better next year. I don't think 9-3 is crazy. I will say 9 wins total after bowl.

navyhog24

I wanna be higher than 6-6, but under Coach B, the Hogs have always had that one game or two that they shouldn't have lost, ie Toledo, Texas Tech, Mizzou, VT, almost was La Tech as well.

navyhog24

Quote from: VirginiaHog on February 17, 2017, 12:04:08 pm
We easy could have been 9-4 this year. We will be better next year. I don't think 9-3 is crazy. I will say 9 wins total after bowl.

We also could've easily been 5-7 or worse. We barely got by La Tech in the first game of the season. Same for TCU and some would even say Ole Miss.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2017, 11:49:09 am

Yep.  He'll be here at least two more years, barring total catastrophe.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TheRazorback500

8-4 before the bowl.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Deep Shoat

I think 8 or 9 wins prior to the bowl.  This is the season he has been working towards. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

bennyl08

We were a 9 win talent team last year that lacked experience. Based on the losses we have this year and who we return, I only see us improving and we lose the inexperience factor as well. Our OL/RB situation sets us up to have a 2014 like season running game and the QB/WR situation is set up to be 2015 like in the passing game. I.e., could easily have 2 1k rushers and a 3500 passer. The biggest loss on our defense was a player who was injured for much of the past two years, plus we get Greenlaw back. Our other losses are being filled with players who still had good playing time last season and are more athletic than their predecessors. I don't worry about the talent level, but I do have some apprehensions about the new scheme. However, I expect to make improvements regardless. Wouldn't be surprised if we win 10 games. Would be surprised if we win less than 8.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RME

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 17, 2017, 03:36:01 pm
We were a 9 win talent team last year that lacked experience. Based on the losses we have this year and who we return, I only see us improving and we lose the inexperience factor as well. Our OL/RB situation sets us up to have a 2014 like season running game and the QB/WR situation is set up to be 2015 like in the passing game. I.e., could easily have 2 1k rushers and a 3500 passer. The biggest loss on our defense was a player who was injured for much of the past two years, plus we get Greenlaw back. Our other losses are being filled with players who still had good playing time last season and are more athletic than their predecessors. I don't worry about the talent level, but I do have some apprehensions about the new scheme. However, I expect to make improvements regardless. Wouldn't be surprised if we win 10 games. Would be surprised if we win less than 8.

IF we win all home games, that's 7.

Out of playing away for A&M (if LR is a "road game," Dallas is a road game), South Carolina, Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, where do we win 3 to get to 10?

scorekeeper

New receivers and a new primary target at tight end. Will the opposing defense load the box to force our hand. How long will the learning/growing pains last in regards to the 3-4 scheme on the defensive side of the ball. All things considered 7-9 wins could happen. I think we become bowl eligible after winning against Coastal Carolina.

W FLORIDA A&M (Little Rock, Ark.)
W TCU
W Texas A&M* (Arlington, Texas)
W NEW MEXICO STATE
W South Carolina*
Gameday chatter will infiltrate hogville.
L Alabama*
L AUBURN*
L Ole Miss*
W COASTAL CAROLINA
L LSU*
W MISSISSIPPI STATE*
W MISSOURI*
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Stephen Greene

sickboy

Total guess with very little knowledge of where some of these teams are sitting at right now...

L TCU
W NEW MEXICO STATE
W South Carolina*
L Alabama*
L AUBURN*
W Ole Miss*
W COASTAL CAROLINA
L LSU*
L MISSISSIPPI STATE*
W MISSOURI*

7-5

jlhogfan

bennyl08

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 17, 2017, 04:03:47 pm
IF we win all home games, that's 7.

Out of playing away for A&M (if LR is a "road game," Dallas is a road game), South Carolina, Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, where do we win 3 to get to 10?

aFm: W
TCU: We beat them last year, at their place. Their team will likely be better this year after returning a lot of players. However, we return our best players as well and for many of our departed, we upgrade the losses. Plus, the game is at our place. This game should be easier for us to win that last years game.
aTm: With what they lose this year, I don't think it is a given that they will be a better team next year while it would be a major upset of probability if we are not improved. Combine that with our two teams being pretty neck and neck for a good long while now, and there's no reason to suggest that we don't have a realistic chance of winning this game. Probably won't be favored and we could still realistically lose again, but it shouldn't be a surprise to win.
NMST: W
@SC: Their team was bad last season. The only reason they even made a bowl game was being in the SEC east. There were some players who were bright spots, but their defense was only 15 yards per game better than ours last season and our offense was way better than theirs. This is a game that we should win, and win handily and is a massive upgrade in ease of win over Florida last year which we won.
@Bama: L. until we prove otherwise, this will be a L.
Auburn: Last year's game was a fluke, with them playing their best ball and us playing our worst. We have been pretty close with them record wise and in recent times have the edge on them. Nothing about them suggests they are a team we can't beat, and in fact, with this game being at home, at worse, this should, IMO, be a toss-up. Plus, the players that gave us the most trouble with them last year are gone. I don't see them being able to limit our offense at all, and our defense should be better equipped to stop their running game next year. This isn't a game that I would bet the house on us winning by any stretch, probably won't be favored to win, but it is a game we have a very good chance at winning.
@OM: 3 wins in a row over them. Playing on their turf will make this game harder, but they've lost a lot of their top players in recent years and haven't been able to buy top not replacements. We could lose this game, but this is a game I think we should win more often than not.
CCU: W
@LSU: One of the harder games we will play outside of Bama. Given it is LSU, we always have a fighting chance. However, roster wise, there isn't another team we play that comes close to competing with them for talent. Last year, the HC change mid-season rallied the team. This year will begin to show what Orgeron can really do there. Previous SEC HC experience, or HC experiences in general, have not been kind to him. We still have a realistic chance to win this game as well, but it is the lowest of the games outside of Bama. Auburn is probably the next best roster, and I think we have about a 4 times better chance of winning that game.
MSU: W, they've lost over 20 starters in 2 years time. Even a Nick Saban Bama team drops down to a 9-3 season when they've lost too much and Miss St isn't Bama.
Mizz: Not once since we've played them as SEC foes have they been the better team. As such, I will continue to believe they are a game we should win.

The only game I'd be confident in us losing is Bama. LSU is a game that will be tough to win as well. After that, the only other teams on our schedule are either games we should definitely win or games that have basically been neck and neck with or better. So, I wouldn't bet on 10 wins, but beating 2/3 of Auburn, aggies, and LSU would not surprise me.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

secfan30

Quote from: HF#1 on February 17, 2017, 11:52:14 am

What were these terms and how do you know?

Long does not have lose lips.

RME

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 17, 2017, 05:07:53 pm
So, I wouldn't bet on 10 wins, but beating 2/3 of Auburn, aggies, and LSU would not surprise me.

Appreciate the response.

It really wouldn't surprise me either...but, on the other hand losing all 3 of them plus a game like South Carolina or Mississippi State isn't a crazy thought either.

As a whole, I like this team a lot. I just hate this team also falls on this year's road schedule.

bennyl08

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 17, 2017, 05:42:54 pm
Appreciate the response.

It really wouldn't surprise me either...but, on the other hand losing all 3 of them plus a game like South Carolina or Mississippi State isn't a crazy thought either.

As a whole, I like this team a lot. I just hate this team also falls on this year's road schedule.

If we lose all of those games though, I will officially have soured on the coaching staff of which I am still cautiously quite optimistic about. Well, if we lose those games barring some catastrophic season filled with a cacophony of injures. And that would definitely surprise me.

lakecityhog

Benny, I like your analysis!
What I like best about 2017 is the way the schedule lays out for us, especially with the home opener moving to Thursday. That gives us an extra 2 days to prepare for TCU which is great for a youngish team. The extra time give the coaches a better chance to correct and teach.

We then get a BYE, 2 weeks to get ready for ATM and finally BB gets over that hump! I think that the BYE is really big for us in this spot. And, then we get another OOC game to come down a bit from the big win at Dallas before our 1st conference true "road" game at South Carolina.

Starting the season 4-0 would be HUGE for the temperament of the team and maybe, just maybe gives us the momentum to do something that we have needed for 10 years.

Having Coastal Carolina smack in the middle of our SEC schedule finally puts us on a more level field with teams like Bama, Tennessee and Auburn. Just as good as a BYE but we get the advantage of playing a LOT of the 2nd teamers while resting the starters for the final 3 game stretch.

This is the season that SHOULD be the one to put Arkansas and BB back in the big picture. We have the talent and ability to compete with the SEC and it is up to BB and Staff to put them in the best position to WIN!!!

goodguytex

This season's success or lack thereof for me depends on 2 things... Oline and Defense. If we show significant improvement in both, I think 9-3 is very doable. If we get pushed around on the Oline again, and the defense gets lit up and torched again and again, we will barely win 6. And if that happens bielema should be on the hot seat.

rlamb

6-6 or 10-2? the one's saying Auburn will beat us at home are not familiar with Razorback history.
Almost Hog team of yesteryear would be circling the Auburn date this coming year. There have been
many games from the past where a certain team has beaten us had beaten or slaughtered us like
Miami did in 87 (51-7) and it could have been far worse! The next year we go to # 1 Miami in 88'
and are a Steve Atwater holding on to an interception in the end zone from beating those Gangsta
Punks. So don't expect us to lose Gus and Aubie.

Dwillhog66

I wear razorback colored glasses always! I can never predict a loss on paper before the game is ever played. I certainly don't feel the need be correct on the seasons final record as I'm not such a pansy that I need to worry about being disappointed or upset if we do lose.
Saying all that on my little soapbox,
15-0 baby. National Champs. This is the year

Al Boarland

February 25, 2017, 06:44:29 am #30 Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:51:40 am by Al Boarland
Well, we know CBB isn't going to out coach anyone at this point. So, it comes down to talent relative to our opponents. MS St will actually be pretty good, so at best that's a toss up. I suppose you could count Ole Miss as a win. Other than the gimme games it's hard to say we will win with any sort of confidence. I'll play it safe and say 7/8 wins. 

RebelW

nchogg

Hope for the best. Wait and see. :razorback:

jkstock04

Another 6 or 7 win regular season. This coach doesn't have what it takes to take us to the next level as far as actual football play.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ZERO

It seems to me like 9-4 is the worst thing that could happen. I'm terrified he's going to finally go over 8 wins, exclaim "See! Improvement!", and then he's bought himself an additional year or two after 2018. 9-4 is normally pretty good, but we're in desperate need of an objectively good year with some make up wins. It certainly shouldn't be good enough to sate everyone after what's been squandered the past two years, and to some extent, even 2014.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

tusksincolorado

Well Lanny needs to build a new website and name it Beetchville...for all posts trashing CBB, CMA, and everything Razorback.

And the Hawgs will go 0-13...

:puke:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 25, 2017, 08:58:59 am
Well Lanny needs to build a new website and name it Beetchville...for all posts trashing CBB, CMA, and everything Razorback.

And the Hawgs will go 0-13...

:puke:
I just don't get these type posts, I don't understand why a message board should only contain rah-rah, and sunshine and daffodils! Why should a message board contain anything less than a persons honest opinions, ideas or thoughts on all things related? It's not like we are in the locker room addressing the team. I disagree with some of these posts trashing CBB, but that is their opinion, and if I want to tell them their opinion is stupid, that's perfectly ok.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 25, 2017, 09:15:55 am
I just don't get these type posts, I don't understand why a message board should only contain rah-rah, and sunshine and daffodils! Why should a message board contain anything less than a persons honest opinions, ideas or thoughts on all things related? It's not like we are in the locker room addressing the team. I disagree with some of these posts trashing CBB, but that is their opinion, and if I want to tell them their opinion is stupid, that's perfectly ok.

Not really, you can get banned for calling another poster stupid, I've been there.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2017, 09:44:28 am
Not really, you can get banned for calling another poster stupid, I've been there.

Likely the reason this board is so slow these days. People placed in timeout for calling all the stupidity stupid.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

rljjr

It all hinges on aTm. We HAVE to get over that hump.

LZH

That's just phreaking stupid....

NoogaHog

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 17, 2017, 04:44:01 pm
13-0

Why not just say 15-0? Why stop at 13? I don't understand.

BTW I got 9-4.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

jlhogfan

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 25, 2017, 11:04:15 am
Why not just say 15-0? Why stop at 13? I don't understand.

BTW I got 9-4.

The Hogs are gonna miss the flight for the playoffs and NC game.  Have to forfeit

RaisinHog

I too have spent time in the hole for such an offense..

NoogaHog

Quote from: jlhogfan on February 25, 2017, 11:15:19 am
The Hogs are gonna miss the flight for the playoffs and NC game.  Have to forfeit

Nah, they will be there and look great for the first flight, but no show up for the connecting flight.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Birminghog

Quote from: sickboy on February 17, 2017, 04:42:05 pm
Total guess with very little knowledge of where some of these teams are sitting at right now...

L TCU
W NEW MEXICO STATE
W South Carolina*
L Alabama*
L AUBURN*
W Ole Miss*
W COASTAL CAROLINA
L LSU*
L MISSISSIPPI STATE*
W MISSOURI*

7-5

Since all of this is conjecture, I'll play.

Ws - FL A&M, NM State, SC East, OM, Coastal, MS State, MO
Ls - Bama
Maybes - TCU, TX A&M, Aub, LSU

Split the maybes & we're at 9-3 before bowl, perhaps 10-3 after.

Ben

How many wins would you be happy with for next season?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

bennyl08

Quote from: Ben on February 25, 2017, 03:06:02 pm
How many wins would you be happy with for next season?

It's impossible to say. So many things could happen. For example, on paper right now, I'd be very disappointed to lose to Miss St. However, if Fitzgerald has a Cam Newton type year and they go on to win the National Championship, I'm going to be much more understanding of why we lost that game. Losing to Toledo really sucked at the time. However, by the end of the season, it became a much more respectable loss than it felt like at the time. Still frustrating that the loss was largely our own mistakes as that still should have been a rentawin that ended up being a very respectable victory.

What if we have a slew of key injuries? My expectations would go down? What if the reserve players come in and play beyond any of our expectations for them? My expectations will then go back up.

Look at last season, if you told me what our final record would be, I would have been like, yeah, that sounds right. Because we actually played so much better than most people expected, it became a disappointment that we ended up with the record that people in fact expected. Similarly, that VT team went toe to toe with Clemson while playing for their freaking conference championship. We were a 7 win SEC team in a bowl game against a team that regularly has NFL draft picks in the top 3 rounds and was playing for a conference championship. Nobody should have expected us to win that game, and we didn't. However, we really should have won that game. It is only disappointing that we lost after seeing us play so well. If you told me we barely lose that game before it started, I'd be okay with that. If we told me at half-time that we'd lose I'd want not remotely be okay with that.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 25, 2017, 09:15:55 am

Because it is a HOGville Board. Not a ANTI-Hogville Board. Did you see the D. Stewart tweet today?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HogimusMaximus

We are gonna be lucky to win 6.  I think we go 5-7.