Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whomever had Partridge to Pitt was correct

Started by ricepig, February 14, 2017, 12:01:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooie71923

Thank God. Now hogville can quit obsessing over him.

And quit making up rumors.

ricepig

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 14, 2017, 12:02:49 pm
Thank God. Now hogville can quit obsessing over him.

And quit making up rumors.

Wait....what......you mean we won't hire him when the 10th coach is allowed, now????

Wildhog

Huge hire for Pitt.  Wish we had hired him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

BigE_23

PITT's program just got better. Narduzzi is a defensive genius already, add Partridge to the mix as a position coach and recruiter...they have chance to make some noise in the ACC (which keeps getting better BTW).

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 12:18:05 pm
*sigh*

He was a proven solid recruiter, but it isn't like he is the absolute king of the hill of DL coaches.

Missing out on him is like missing out on Mohhamed Sanu in free agency. Proven number 2 receiver, but not a guy you want at the top of the pecking order. If you miss out on him or if he isn't a fit for the offense you want to run, sure, it would be nice to have him, but it isn't like it is some rare event to get a good receiver in the draft.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 14, 2017, 12:28:47 pm
He was a proven solid recruiter, but it isn't like he is the absolute king of the hill of DL coaches.

Missing out on him is like missing out on Mohhamed Sanu in free agency. Proven number 2 receiver, but not a guy you want at the top of the pecking order. If you miss out on him or if he isn't a fit for the offense you want to run, sure, it would be nice to have him, but it isn't like it is some rare event to get a good receiver in the draft.

Next to John Scott Jr, he looks like Nick Saban.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 14, 2017, 12:28:47 pm

And Scott was? Most were hoping he'd be the 10th coach when allowed, we need recruiters.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2017, 12:31:12 pm
And Scott was? Most were hoping he'd be the 10th coach when allowed, we need recruiters.

I think it's pretty clear that hiring recruiters just isn't a priority for Bielema. 

I'd say it's a bold strategy, but when your buyout is as high as CBB's, does it really matter?
1909/1964/1965/1977

go hogues

Quote from: Kevin on February 14, 2017, 12:31:14 pm
disappointed cbb did not hire him back
Who knows he didn't try and Partridge didn't want to come back?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 12:36:10 pm
I think it's pretty clear that hiring recruiters just isn't a priority for Bielema. 

I'd say it's a bold strategy, but when your buyout is as high as CBB's, does it really matter?

Sure, I suspect he wishes to work after 2018-2020.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2017, 12:40:24 pm
Sure, I suspect he wishes to work after 2018-2020.

Maybe he'd like to collect his 15 million and retire to take care of his new family.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 12:42:34 pm
Maybe he'd like to collect his 15 million and retire to take care of his new family.  :)

He'd have to be fired before Dec. 31st to collect that, probably have to make do with $11.7M, lol. He isn't going to be fired, and I don't think he's sitting around on his ass doing nothing. It will be real interesting to see who he hires for this 10th position, if and when it becomes available. Anyway, two more years to see if there are two more years.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2017, 12:48:24 pm
He'd have to be fired before Dec. 31st to collect that, probably have to make do with $11.7M, lol. He isn't going to be fired, and I don't think he's sitting around on his ass doing nothing. It will be real interesting to see who he hires for this 10th position, if and when it becomes available. Anyway, two more years to see if there are two more years.

Oh, I know.  We're definitely stuck with him until that buyout becomes more manageable. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 14, 2017, 12:53:34 pm
Is John Scott Jr really that tall?

Ba Dum Tssss

If hope is diminished and prospects look bleak, at least humor the horde. 

+1.  It's all we have.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 12:30:53 pm
Next to John Scott Jr, he looks like Nick Saban.

Don't post like hog-card, you are better than that.

Tell me, how does Leonard Fournette look next to Carlos Hyde.

Based on your logic, Hyde looks like Adrian Peterson. Doesn't matter that Hyde really hasn't done all  that much at the NFL. Fournette hasn't even sniffed an NFL locker room. Therefore, because Hyde has experience in the NFL and Fournette doesn't, it is sigh-inducing for somebody to decide to draft Fournette rather than going after Hyde.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Charlie-Partridge-144/AllTimeRecruits

He was the primary recruiter on Collins, but outside of him, what other tough recruiting battles did he win? There's a lot players on there that didn't turn out. James White is the only other big time player and Wisconsin was literally the only offer he had to choose from. A couple other 4*'s that nobody but KSU wanted and ended up not living up to their hype.

As a coach himself, our DL wasn't too hot in 2013 when he was here despite having 3 starters that went on to go to the NFL, 1 backup that played and is now in the NFL, and another backup (wise jr) who will be in the NFL next season.

He was coach at Wisconsin when JJ Watt was there. However, by the same token, Chaney was the qb coach for Drew Brees yet I think we all agree he isn't who we want coaching our qb's compared to Enos. Begs the question of how important is it to coach those star players or would they have been stars no matter what, like Dmac during his time here.

Back to the Fournette-Hyde analogy. You can pretty confidently say that Fournette would be a better RB to have than Hyde despite the fact that he is 100% unproven at the NFL level. You can do this because you see his speed, his strength, and his production and can safely project that his skills will translate greatly to the next level. That's exactly the same type of thing that happens when hiring a HC. Check out Partridge's resume when Rhoads first hired him to be the DL coach at Pitt. He had been a GA at Drake, then a GA at Iowa St. Finally he had all of one year as the DL coach at Eastern Illinois. By comparison, Scott's resume as a DL coach makes him look like Urban Meyer in comparison. As a coach, you look to see how well the other coach knows his stuff, can teach that stuff to players, and can recruit those players. We, as fans, don't get to see any of that. Only the results of the players. Which are going to be limited by the scheme of the DC and the talent of the players which can be limited by the school they are at.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 12:36:10 pm

You aren't getting paid here to think. ;)

Though seriously, people who are closer to the program than you or me think exactly the opposite. The hires that Bielema is making are geared towards recruiting. They are young, energetic, and with personalities ideally suited for recruiting on top of being extremely knowledgable about the sport and particularly the positions they are there to coach.

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 14, 2017, 01:02:16 pm
Don't post like hog-card, you are better than that.

Tell me, how does Leonard Fournette look next to Carlos Hyde.

Based on your logic, Hyde looks like Adrian Peterson. Doesn't matter that Hyde really hasn't done all  that much at the NFL. Fournette hasn't even sniffed an NFL locker room. Therefore, because Hyde has experience in the NFL and Fournette doesn't, it is sigh-inducing for somebody to decide to draft Fournette rather than going after Hyde.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Charlie-Partridge-144/AllTimeRecruits

He was the primary recruiter on Collins, but outside of him, what other tough recruiting battles did he win? There's a lot players on there that didn't turn out. James White is the only other big time player and Wisconsin was literally the only offer he had to choose from. A couple other 4*'s that nobody but KSU wanted and ended up not living up to their hype.

As a coach himself, our DL wasn't too hot in 2013 when he was here despite having 3 starters that went on to go to the NFL, 1 backup that played and is now in the NFL, and another backup (wise jr) who will be in the NFL next season.

He was coach at Wisconsin when JJ Watt was there. However, by the same token, Chaney was the qb coach for Drew Brees yet I think we all agree he isn't who we want coaching our qb's compared to Enos. Begs the question of how important is it to coach those star players or would they have been stars no matter what, like Dmac during his time here.

Back to the Fournette-Hyde analogy. You can pretty confidently say that Fournette would be a better RB to have than Hyde despite the fact that he is 100% unproven at the NFL level. You can do this because you see his speed, his strength, and his production and can safely project that his skills will translate greatly to the next level. That's exactly the same type of thing that happens when hiring a HC. Check out Partridge's resume when Rhoads first hired him to be the DL coach at Pitt. He had been a GA at Drake, then a GA at Iowa St. Finally he had all of one year as the DL coach at Eastern Illinois. By comparison, Scott's resume as a DL coach makes him look like Urban Meyer in comparison. As a coach, you look to see how well the other coach knows his stuff, can teach that stuff to players, and can recruit those players. We, as fans, don't get to see any of that. Only the results of the players. Which are going to be limited by the scheme of the DC and the talent of the players which can be limited by the school they are at.

Trying to tear down Partridge doesn't make Scott better.  Partridge is MUCH more respected as a coach and recruiter, and was responsible for landing one of the biggest out of state signees we've ever had.  He also has a slew of other S FL signees to his name.  He might not be a nationally elite recruiter, but he's elite for US.  Scott has two years as an FBS football coach, and he was forced to resign from Tech.  He may turn out to be great, but that's not based on anything other than hopes and dreams and rainbows and sunshine.

Also, I'm not sold on Fournette being able to stay healthy enough to have a successful NFL career.  Hell, I like Guice better than Fournette.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 14, 2017, 01:07:17 pm

Though seriously, people who are closer to the program than you or me think exactly the opposite. The hires that Bielema is making are geared towards recruiting. They are young, energetic, and with personalities ideally suited for recruiting on top of being extremely knowledgable about the sport and particularly the positions they are there to coach.
Who would these people be?

Wildhog

Guess we'll find out, won't we?  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

wildturkey8

I think Guice was/is a better back than Fournette. 

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2017, 01:12:28 pm
Who would these people be?

You'd think that if you're trying to hire recruiters, you'd hire coaches that have actually RECRUITED.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Trying to build Partridge up doesn't diminish what Scott has done. Alex Collins stated publicly that his relationship with CBB is the reason he came to Arkansas. Scott resigned at Tech because the DC was fired for coming to work drunk/high and the new guy wanted to bring his own people in.

People that use phrases like "stuck with him" and "forced to resign" have made up their mind and will work hard in all threads on hogville to push an agenda. I don't have a problem with those that are unhappy, it's the ones that go into every thread and say the same thing over and over in an attempt to silence any positive conversation regarding hog football that get on my nerves.

Pitt got better with the hire of Partridge. I wish we could have landed him.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 14, 2017, 01:26:43 pm
Pitt got better with the hire of Partridge. I wish we could have landed him.

This.  Thanks G.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Well, at least Partridge was a part of the first BEST STAFF EVER ASSEMBLED AT ARKANSAS, HELL, MAYBE THE BEST EVER ASSEMBLED IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL ANYWHERE.  We know this to be true because many Hogvillers declared so. 

I will use the WAG system to declare that I believe Partridge was offered the opportunity to come back to us and really didn't want to.  I have absolutely no proof of my statement but based on the way these #1 staffs keep going together and then breaking up, I don't believe this is anyone's dream job as an assistant.

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 01:11:53 pm
Trying to tear down Partridge doesn't make Scott better.  Partridge is MUCH more respected as a coach and recruiter, and was responsible for landing one of the biggest out of state signees we've ever had.  He also has a slew of other S FL signees to his name.  He might not be a nationally elite recruiter, but he's elite for US.  Scott has two years as an FBS football coach, and he was forced to resign from Tech.  He may turn out to be great, but that's not based on anything other than hopes and dreams and rainbows and sunshine.

Also, I'm not sold on Fournette being able to stay healthy enough to have a successful NFL career.  Hell, I like Guice better than Fournette.

Trying to tear down Partridge?

Check my post history here. I was very explicit that I'd love to hire Partridge back. Still would like to have him on staff. He is a good coach.

However, if you think he is elite by our standards, then you must not follow recruiting very much. He is no doubt a good recruiter. My only point is that he isn't some can't miss coach. I would be elated to have him on our coaching staff and would view it as a very good hire, but I'm not disappointed that we don't have him either. There are other good coaches out there as well. Rhoads was heavily involved in these hires and he was the one who first though Partridge was worth being more than just an FCS assistant coach.

theshiva

Wildhog spitting the fireemojix3 since the hires came in.

He's absolutely right too.

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 14, 2017, 01:51:46 pm
Trying to tear down Partridge?

Check my post history here. I was very explicit that I'd love to hire Partridge back. Still would like to have him on staff. He is a good coach.

However, if you think he is elite by our standards, then you must not follow recruiting very much. He is no doubt a good recruiter. My only point is that he isn't some can't miss coach. I would be elated to have him on our coaching staff and would view it as a very good hire, but I'm not disappointed that we don't have him either. There are other good coaches out there as well. Rhoads was heavily involved in these hires and he was the one who first though Partridge was worth being more than just an FCS assistant coach.

Yes, I consider him elite by our standards.  At the very least, he'd come in and instantly be the best recruiter on that side of the ball (by a good margin). Smith on offense and Partridge on defense would be a nice 1-2 punch. 

Now, if you want to argue over how I define 'elite,' then you might have a case.  :)

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2017, 01:42:52 pm
Well, at least Partridge was a part of the first BEST STAFF EVER ASSEMBLED AT ARKANSAS, HELL, MAYBE THE BEST EVER ASSEMBLED IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL ANYWHERE.  We know this to be true because many Hogvillers declared so. 

I will use the WAG system to declare that I believe Partridge was offered the opportunity to come back to us and really didn't want to.  I have absolutely no proof of my statement but based on the way these #1 staffs keep going together and then breaking up, I don't believe this is anyone's dream job as an assistant.

If you replace Chaney with Enos, that first staff was stupid awesome.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 02:18:02 pm
And Joel Thomas with Reggie Mitchell.

So you agree that CBB took an already good staff, and has improved it over time? I don't mean at all positions, I mean in general.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 14, 2017, 02:21:59 pm
So you agree that CBB took an already good staff, and has improved it over time? I don't mean at all positions, I mean in general.

Good question. 

IMO:

Enos > Chaney
Mitchell > Thomas
Pittman > Anderson
Partridge > Scott
Shannon > Hargreaves

Not really anyone to compare Walker to.

Not sure about Rhoads/Ash. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

justmakeit2thebcs

Recruiting is a HIGH priority, however, the number one priority is getting folks in here that can teach  the 3-4 and develop players.  Arkansas has never had a top 10 class and likely never will until they win 10-11 games consistently.  For those of you that think one person is going to come in here and start landing 5 stars is sadly mistaken.  There isn't one person outside of Nick Saban/Urban Meyer/Dabo that make any noticeable difference in recruiting.   You better coach/develop the players you've got or there wont be a tomorrow to recruit for. 

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 02:27:44 pm
Good question. 

IMO:

Enos > Chaney - agree
Mitchell > Thomas - agree
Pittman > Anderson - still undecided
Partridge > Scott - can't know until we see some results
Shannon > Hargreaves - agree

Not sure about Rhoads/Ash. - I think/hope Rhoads will end up being the better of the 2

justmakeit2thebcs

Why the hate for Anderson?  Ragnow was the best in the country, Skipper had limitations his entire career, Froholdt was made in to a servicable guard in 2 months, Wallace and Jackson had no experience to speak of and a walkon in Gibson. 

What were people's expectations after losing 3 starters, plus a 1st rd TE and Alex Collins?  Who recruited the OL that was so weak we had to rely on transfer  who wasn't going to start at Texas, a DL and a walkon ?

HamSammich

hawgmasta

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 14, 2017, 02:54:23 pm
Why the hate for Anderson?  Ragnow was the best in the country, Skipper had limitations his entire career, Froholdt was made in to a servicable guard in 2 months, Wallace and Jackson had no experience to speak of and a walkon in Gibson. 

What were people's expectations after losing 3 starters, plus a 1st rd TE and Alex Collins?  Who recruited the OL that was so weak we had to rely on transfer  who wasn't going to start at Texas, a DL and a walkon ?

That's a mic drop post.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 02:27:44 pm
Good question. 

IMO:

Enos > Chaney
Mitchell > Thomas
Pittman > Anderson
Partridge > Scott
Shannon > Hargreaves

Not sure about Rhoads/Ash. 

Nailed it. If we could get a best of staff going for a couple of season we would be good

greenie

He was never coming back here.
Good luck at Pitt, Charlie.

wachhog

Quote from: go hogues on February 14, 2017, 12:38:08 pm
Who knows he didn't try and Partridge didn't want to come back?
It is becoming obvious to me that most with other
Options don't want to work for CBB for whatever reason.

colbs

I'm not declaring any of the new hires good or bad.  I'm just going to wait and see.  For the most part they are unproven as cfb coaches and recruiters.  I am intrigued though especially with Walker just based on coaches he has worked for. 

When hiring an assistant of course you want a coach that is a good coach and recruiter.  You for sure want them to be good at one or the other though.  That's what's scary about these hires is that we really don't have enough on either to know if they will be good at either on the college level.  It appears the main concern was getting coaches in to help them install the 3-4.  I'm hoping with the 10th assistant position a good special teams coordinator & recruiter is added.  I would be fine with a HS coach from Texas who could help with recruiting that state being added.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 12:42:34 pm

Probably hoping for this so he could land a TV gig. Getting paid 400k a year to talk about football ain't bad either.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Wildhog on February 14, 2017, 01:21:38 pm
You'd think that if you're trying to hire recruiters, you'd hire coaches that have actually RECRUITED.
To be fair, for every great recruiter there was a time when they had not recruited.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

#1Fan

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on February 15, 2017, 04:26:39 am
To be fair, for every great recruiter there was a time when they had not recruited.

But why don't we just hire great recruiters instead of hoping that coaches who have never recruited turn out to be great recruiters?  I guess the answer is that with a $15 million buyout you can do whatever you want to.

PorkRinds

Quote from: #1Fan on February 15, 2017, 08:21:09 am
But why don't we just hire great recruiters instead of hoping that coaches who have never recruited turn out to be great recruiters?  I guess the answer is that with a $15 million buyout you can do whatever you want to.

The answer is that you don't have a clue how they will recruit, what recruiting they've done, or why they were hired. But you can certainly make things up if it makes you feel better.

Sow Lancelot

February 15, 2017, 09:17:18 am #49 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:36:29 am by Sow Lancelot
Quote from: #1Fan on February 15, 2017, 08:21:09 am
So, how do you know that the guys we hired won't be great coaches and great recruiters?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.