Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Walker new OLB coach

Started by ricepig, February 10, 2017, 09:06:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

DeltaBoy

Good looking hire.   Welcome to Hill Coach Walker.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 13, 2017, 08:02:54 am
I had that it mind, but wasn't sure if it was PC to post it.

That video is ok. We Irish are accustom to being at the bottom.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hoggish1

Quote from: goodguytex on February 11, 2017, 02:54:53 am
Seems like he is gonna wind up being solid recruiting help in Louisiana. There are big recruiting opportunities there and doors that are open that we need to take advantage of. Not just in Louisiana but Texas as well. Hopefully this coach as well as Coach Scott can help. We will see.

He's a new Orleans native too. I bet he's got some relationships already established with HAS coaches in the area which has been a recruiting hotbed for programs like bama and LSU.

It's come out in the media that LSU firing their WR coach and recruiting coordinator right after signing day has ruffled a lot of feathers with HS coaches in the New Orleans area.

And supposedly there's a boycott from New Orleans area coaches with the LSU program. That's an opportunity we need to take advantage of.

But either way, it's not just about one or two particular coaches. It's about an overall improving our defense. Making them solid in fundamentals, technique, and playing up to our potential. Hopefully these coaches, under Rhoades leadership, can help them do that.

ronmahony

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 10, 2017, 09:34:44 pm
Well you "figured" wrong!  Great hire, and here's the top 10 reasons why:

1.  He's bald.
2.  He was the defensive quality control coach at OU....so, he was no where near the woman beaters of  Mixon and DGB.
3.  He looks crazy...and mean.
4.  He went to LSU during some of their worst times, so he understands the "territory".
5.  He has never coached at Baylor.
6.  He's bald...and mean.
7.  He once spoke to Saban.   
8.  He coached the Falcons in the SB LI, so he has as many rings as you or I do.  Not pretentious, but probably needing a job.
9.  Saban.
10.  He's bald!

Well hell since you out it that way, it's a no brained. How could we not hire him?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

hawgXi

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 10, 2017, 09:34:44 pm
Well you "figured" wrong!  Great hire, and here's the top 10 reasons why:

1.  He's bald.
2.  He was the defensive quality control coach at OU....so, he was no where near the woman beaters of  Mixon and DGB.
3.  He looks crazy...and mean.
4.  He went to LSU during some of their worst times, so he understands the "territory".
5.  He has never coached at Baylor.
6.  He's bald...and mean.
7.  He once spoke to Saban.   
8.  He coached the Falcons in the SB LI, so he has as many rings as you or I do.  Not pretentious, but probably needing a job.
9.  Saban.
10.  He's bald!

bonus question for you:  which town has the most exits off I-40?  Little Rock?  or Hughes?

Birminghog

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 12, 2017, 10:18:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw

Classic, and a beautiful lampoon on racism. Mel Brooks was brilliant, especially in his earlier films, at battling social demons by making fun of them. His "Springtime for Hitler" from The Producers shocked some in the Jewish community, which he answered by asking what better way to fight Nazism than by making fun of Hitler?

The stereotypical bad guy Black Bart turned into a black hero named Bart, Hedley Lamarr, Madeline Kahn as a Marlene Dietrich character, a Cole Porter song, Richard Pryor as a part of the writing team, etc. etc. - so much to argue for this movie.

"I get no kick from champagne ..."

razorsharptusk

And Alabama hired a position Coach and made him an offensive coordinator off of the super bowl champions Patriots team.  And we wonder why Alabama is so dominate.

Got to be dominant to get dominant.
GO HOGS!!

This is an up and comer hire at best.  He may turn out to be a great hire or not, that all is wait and see.  I suggest we are down to just finding someone, anyone, who will agree to take the job.  I doubt we are selecting from among many qualified coaches with these hires.  BBs leadership abilities I do not believe impress many assistants.  Got some news for ya.  His leadership abilities don't impress a lot of fans either.  I hope he got lucky with these hires.  Just like the annual running of the Bulls in Spain, we here at Arkansas, have the hiring of the assistants.  One thing here at Arkansas is that we don't fire coaches, we let them locate another job so that is a plus for working here and I cannot think of any other pluses.

Wildhog

Quote from: razorsharptusk on February 20, 2017, 06:31:48 pm
And Alabama hired a position Coach and made him an offensive coordinator off of the super bowl champions Patriots team.  And we wonder why Alabama is so dominate.

Got to be dominant to get dominant.

To be fair, Brian Daboll has four years experience as an NFL OC.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 27, 2017, 01:47:28 pm
To be fair, Brian Daboll has four years experience as an NFL OC.

So, you're saying he was on the downward path?

The OTR

colbs

The OTR

Quote from: colbs on March 07, 2017, 08:45:41 am
Good insight.

Is it incumbent on fans to prove it's a negative, or is it incumbent on the staff to prove they belong?

This guy is a crap hire.

He never played football in college. He hung around the student union and ate donuts every afternoon while real football people were out busting their butts in practice.

Then besides being DC for two small time programs, he's always been "the assistant to the assistant"

This guy does not belong on our staff. He's not earned the priviledge to coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks. He's a fraud.

Better explanation?

HogHolio

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 08:59:19 am
Is it incumbent on fans to prove it's a negative, or is it incumbent on the staff to prove they belong?

This guy is a crap hire.

He never played football in college. He hung around the student union and ate donuts every afternoon while real football people were out busting their butts in practice.

Then besides being DC for two small time programs, he's always been "the assistant to the assistant"

This guy does not belong on our staff. He's not earned the priviledge to coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks. He's a fraud.

Better explanation?

So if playing football in college is your litmus test, then Mike Leach, David Cutcliffe, Paul Johnson, should have never been assistants much less fairly successful tenured head coaches in P5 conferences. 

It seems to me that all of these guys have had some pretty impressive accomplishments and they each have had success outside of the norm of college football.  Maybe the fact that they aren't biased from previous coaches helps them be more successful.  Just a thought.

Anyway, I prefer to wait and see how things turn out rather than defaulting to a debby downer that everything in life sucks, but that's just me.   

The OTR

Quote from: HogHolio on March 07, 2017, 09:15:40 am
So if playing football in college is your litmus test, then Mike Leach, David Cutcliffe, Paul Johnson, should have never been assistants much less fairly successful tenured head coaches in P5 conferences. 

It seems to me that all of these guys have had some pretty impressive accomplishments and they each have had success outside of the norm of college football.  Maybe the fact that they aren't biased from previous coaches helps them be more successful.  Just a thought.

Anyway, I prefer to wait and see how things turn out rather than defaulting to a debby downer that everything in life sucks, but that's just me.   

You just posted the worst post I've ever seen

"debby downer that everything in life sucks"? Aww, poor snowflake

Leach, Johnson and Cutcliff? They moved past being an assistant to the assistant pretty quickly. I believe Cutcliff was a GA for one year

this guy has been a glorified GA his whole career - he's into his 30's and he was still a glorified GA for OU and then the Falcons

good enough for you - I get that - it's good enough for you

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 09:21:09 am
You just posted the worst post I've ever seen

"debby downer that everything in life sucks"? Aww, poor snowflake

Leach, Johnson and Cutcliff? They moved past being an assistant to the assistant pretty quickly. I believe Cutcliff was a GA for one year

this guy has been a glorified GA his whole career - he's into his 30's and he was still a glorified GA for OU and then the Falcons

good enough for you - I get that - it's good enough for you

Go take some pictures of the NEZ expansion, I think those construction camera shots are fake. I can't figure out where Jeff's underground parking lot is??

Hog Fan...DOH!

Holy ****.  The guy was hired to coach OLBs.  That's half of one position on the field.  I guess Rex Ryan would have been better.  Oh, except he's too loud and sucked in Buffalo.  So let's go hire someone more "proven" in college.  Gene Kizik?  Oh, he sucked, too.  Maybe we should hire Mike Singletary!!?!?!  I've heard of him!  YA!  Wait, he's not an "Arkansas guy".  Let's hire someone who loves that helmet... 

The OTR

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 09:24:53 am
Go take some pictures of the NEZ expansion, I think those construction camera shots are fake. I can't figure out where Jeff's underground parking lot is??

I've got some nighttime construction pics - PM me your cell and I'll text them to you

colbs

This guy is a crap hire.

Better explanation?
I see a lot of assumptions, not facts.  I'm not proclaiming it to be a great hire or a bad hire.  I'll just see how it goes.  It seems you already have your mind made up though.  I am intrigued though by some of the defensive minds he's been around.  He's had to pick up some info right? 

The OTR

Quote from: colbs on March 07, 2017, 09:31:54 am
I see a lot of assumptions, not facts.  I'm not proclaiming it to be a great hire or a bad hire.  I'll just see how it goes.  It seems you already have your mind made up though.  I am intrigued though by some of the defensive minds he's been around.  He's had to pick up some info right?

it's a fact that he's been a glorified GA his entire career - that's not an assumption 

Entire. Career. Glorified. GA. Fact.

maybe he's earned being a fulltime assistant finally at Louisiana-Lafayette - not here

The OTR

I'm a CBB supporter.

Love CBB.

But, this is a crap hire. Pathetic.

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 09:38:46 am
it's a fact that he's been a glorified GA his entire career - that's not an assumption 

Entire. Career. Glorified. GA. Fact.

maybe he's earned being a fulltime assistant finally at Louisiana-Lafayette - not here

It was either him, or bring me out of retirement. I went 4-12 in two years of flag football for 1st and 2nd graders back in 1999 and 2000.

The OTR

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 09:42:09 am
It was either him, or bring me out of retirement. I went 4-12 in two years of flag football for 1st and 2nd graders back in 1999 and 2000.

you suck too

both of you suck

The OTR

ricepig, you suck worse than Chad Walker

unless you played for the Boll Weevils or something - then you're light years ahead of him

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 09:46:17 am
ricepig, you suck worse than Chad Walker

unless you played for the Boll Weevils or something - then you're light years ahead of him

Nope played for the rice water weevils, we never got the attention we deserved for the damage we could do.

The OTR

Vantage 8 dude

This guy is a crap hire.

Better explanation?
Of course, you of GREAT coaching expertise and experience....NOT! What a clown.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 09:39:59 am
I'm a CBB supporter.

Love CBB.

Oh no, he's BACK!! :'( :puke:

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 09:39:59 am
I'm a CBB supporter.

Love CBB.

You have zero knowledge of the hire.  You are nothing more than a troll. You want to talk about experience?  Who has more at hiring football coaches, you or CBB? How bout Dan Quinn? Saban? Why are you trying prove to us that you are smarter than CBB when we know you not.  If you were, by your own logic wouldn't you be making $4 million a year coaching ?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 07, 2017, 10:23:50 am
You have zero knowledge of the hire.  You are nothing more than a troll. You want to talk about experience?  Who has more at hiring football coaches, you or CBB? How bout Dan Quinn? Saban? Why are you trying prove to us that you are smarter than CBB when we know you not.  If you were, by your own logic wouldn't you be making $4 million a year coaching ?
Nah, pillow brain proves time and time again that "logic" has nothing to do with it. That's what you get when a moron posts. A true Norman Einstein.

twistitup

Wish we still had R Shannon- but I will support Mr Walker until he gives me a reason to doubt him
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2017, 10:53:23 am
Wish we still had R Shannon- but I will support Mr Walker until he gives me a reason to doubt him
Yep, thus far Walker hasn't coached a single down as an Arkansas assistant. Yet we have some already opining that it was a "crap" hire; nice to see that some are proven guilty before they've even had the opportunity to show what kind of job they might actually be able to do. Isn't it a good thing that virtually no other profession condemns an employee to failure before they've actually had a chance to prove/disprove their true worth ??? ::)

PorkRinds

At the very least he's been touted by Stoops as an integral part of their switch to the 3-4. He's worked for Bama with their 3-4. He has 3-4 expertise that we need right now. So while he may not be a flashy hire, he fits a real need that we have right now.

The OTR

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 07, 2017, 11:15:18 am
At the very least he's been touted by Stoops as an integral part of their switch to the 3-4. He's worked for Bama with their 3-4. He has 3-4 expertise that we need right now. So while he may not be a flashy hire, he fits a real need that we have right now.

he's never worked for Bama

if he was "integral" for Stoops, why did he leave for an assistant to an assistant job at the Falcons?

The OTR

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 07, 2017, 10:23:50 am

Of course. I "have zero knowledge of the hire." You got me.

He's going to command so much respect from the players when they find out he never played. They'll really be impressed with that.

The OTR

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 07, 2017, 11:15:18 am
He's worked for Bama with their 3-4.

LOL! More proof that you just make crap up. My Lord  :D

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 11:40:26 am
As if you don't.

The OTR

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 07, 2017, 12:38:49 pm
As if you don't.

Aren't you the one asking me to teach you about the 3-4?

Ok

Against a one-back or no-back offense, running a normal two deep coverage with six available underneath coverage guys (2 corners, 2 OLB's and 2 inside LB's), the five eligible receivers themselves will dictate that one of those underneath coverage guys will free up just seconds after the ball is snapped, and be able to rush the QB along with the 3 down linemen

So we still get a four man rush, if not five (if the one-back stays in to block)

Do we need Chad Walker to teach us this?

No.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 11:33:14 am
Of course. I "have zero knowledge of the hire." You got me.

He's going to command so much respect from the players when they find out he never played. They'll really be impressed with that.
You think Bill Belichick doesn't get any respect because he never played in college?  Walker will get far more respect as a coach than you do as a message board troll.   

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 12:57:20 pm

Ok

Against a one-back or no-back offense, running a normal two deep coverage with six available underneath coverage guys (2 corners, 2 OLB's and 2 inside LB's), the five eligible receivers themselves will dictate that one of those underneath coverage guys will free up just seconds after the ball is snapped, and be able to rush the QB along with the 3 down linemen

So we still get a four man rush, if not five (if the one-back stays in to block)

No.

Again CBB thinks we do, he get paid millions, you get nothing. In addition to having zero knowledge of the hire, you also have zero knowledge of the 3-4

The OTR

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 07, 2017, 01:08:11 pm
In addition to having zero knowledge of the hire, you also have zero knowledge of the 3-4

Exactly. Because if I knew anything about the 3-4, I would be able to know about the underneath matchup zone numbers freeing up the extra pass rusher. But since I don't know anything about that, I'll have to start posting more like the way you post.

Plus I wouldn't know anything about "motion away, rush the QB" game plan rules for outside linebackers. Which I don't know about.

The OTR

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 07, 2017, 01:05:45 pm
You think Bill Belichick doesn't get any respect because he never played in college?  Walker will get far more respect as a coach than you do as a message board troll.   

You mean except for the fact that he DID play in college? Since he did?

Is that what you meant?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 11:40:26 am

My bad. He worked for Saban at LSU, not bama. The part about Stoops was a quote from Stoops about the guy.

Quote"When we made this move to a 3-4, they helped us with a lot of install," Mike Stoops said of the Alabama influence on the 2013 Sooners. "Chad Walker, who is our quality control guy who works with me in structuring our defense, spent four or five years with Nick. He's helped me tremendously to put this thing together. They understand it better than anybody. Coach Saban has been running this and variations of all kinds of defenses."

That's also where I made the mistake about it being bama instead of LSU. It's been a while since I read the article.

http://www.espn.com/blog/colleges/alabama/post/_/id/18780/sooners-defense-has-alabama-influence

The OTR

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 07, 2017, 01:38:35 pm
My bad. He worked for Saban at LSU, not bama. The part about Stoops was a quote from Stoops about the guy.

That's also where I made the mistake about it being bama instead of LSU. It's been a while since I read the article.

http://www.espn.com/blog/colleges/alabama/post/_/id/18780/sooners-defense-has-alabama-influence

I hope he turns out to be great

also really wish I could find out he was a 3 year lowly walkon at Angelo State or something before transferring to LSU

Lousiana College in Pineville - anything

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 01:17:01 pm
You mean except for the fact that he DID play in college? Since he did?

Is that what you meant?
Oooh...It thought since was at Wesleyan a small Division III school it didn't count.  You know kinda like Walker at Mississippi college where he was a defensive coordinator.  FYI, Bill was the captian of the lacrosse team in college (the sport he really played).  He was a member of the football team, as was male at Wesleyan that signed up.  If you ever graduate HS, and have decent grades (maybe you are book smart with little common sense).  I've attached a link to the Wesleyan football site where you can sign up?

http://athletics.wesleyan.edu/sports/fball/recruit

Entire. Playing. Career. Glorified. High School. Fact.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 01:14:45 pm

Exactly. Because if I knew anything about the 3-4, I would be able to know about the underneath matchup zone numbers freeing up the extra pass rusher. But since I don't know anything about that, I'll have to start posting more like the way you post.

Plus I wouldn't know anything about "motion away, rush the QB" game plan rules for outside linebackers. Which I don't know about.
Why do all coaches hire people to help with the transition to the 3-4 if it so easy?  Why not just ask you?  I mean you..... get paid how much to coach football?

Underneath match up zone numbers.....LOL  Your 1 millionth of the way there.  I can google too !!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80ea8c1d/article/changing-a-base-defense-not-as-easy-as-1-2-34

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 01:43:35 pm
I hope he turns out to be great

also really wish I could find out he was a 3 year lowly walkon at Angelo State or something before transferring to LSU

Lousiana College in Pineville - anything
Why don't you step out behind the mask of a keyboard and tell us when and where you played so we can critique your knowledge and experience?  You seem so well versed in the 3-4, with terms like "motion away, rush the QB".  Hey don't get to bummed ....Jr. High counts for this exercise. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on March 07, 2017, 12:57:20 pm

Ok

No.
Well we can once again see how so many successful HCs have failed, even dumb a66 Saban. They haven't hired you to not only be their DL/LB coach, but their DC as well. Now that's a major oversight all the way around alright. How could everyone be so blind when brilliance is right in front of them ???