Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 year anniversary of Houston Nutt's phone call

Started by Wolfpride, February 10, 2017, 01:21:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2017, 01:15:24 am
Nutt really only deserves credit for one thing, and that one thing is his hiring of Tracy Rocker.

The Nutt era can be described in one word, that one word being the word frustrating.

Rocker didn't exactly set the DL coaching world on fire, ya know.

hog.goblin

Quote from: LZH on February 18, 2017, 10:24:41 am
Rocker didn't exactly set the DL coaching world on fire, ya know.

Jamaal Anderson, Jeb Huckeba, and Keith Jackson Jr would disagree with you.

LZH

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 18, 2017, 02:14:13 pm
Jamaal Anderson, Jeb Huckeba, and Keith Jackson Jr would disagree with you.

As well they should.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 17, 2017, 10:18:43 pm
To continue, Nutt needless public ally ridiculed Malzahn behind his back shortly after he was hired at a Jefferson Co Razoback meeting. Nutts remarks concerning Malzahn were in exceedingly poor taste and showed in my opinion a touch of jealousness.
Saying Nutt was just a touch jealous of Malzahn is about like saying Cain was a touch jealous of Abel.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Sivad

Swine-as-wine

What always gets me, is how so many people can say that Malazahn wasn't allowed to run his offense,
but then turns around and gives credit for the ass kickin' offense we had that year.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 17, 2017, 10:18:43 pm
To continue, Nutt needless public ally ridiculed Malzahn behind his back shortly after he was hired at a Jefferson Co Razoback meeting. Nutts remarks concerning Malzahn were in exceedingly poor taste and showed in my opinion a touch of jealousness.
Nutt had good reason to believe that Malzahn would replace him at some point in the next few years after he was hired. A group of "good ole boys" had determined that if Frank did not step down and name his own successor as AD within a year or two John White would pick the new AD (which is what eventually happened). At the appropriate time those good ole boys hoped to convince Nutt (and Broyles)that he needed to become the AD for the good of the program with Malzahn taking over as head coach. Nutt got wind of this plan. He had no interest in getting booted upstairs to make way for Malzahn.

I have been told by more than one person close to that situation that Malzahn was aware of this plan. If so it certainly explains why Nutt had an attitude toward Malzahn.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 19, 2017, 07:12:07 pm
Nutt had good reason to believe that Malzahn would replace him at some point in the next few years after he was hired. A group of "good ole boys" had determined that if Frank did not step down and name his own successor as AD within a year or two John White would pick the new AD (which is what eventually happened). At the appropriate time those good ole boys hoped to convince Nutt (and Broyles)that he needed to become the AD for the good of the program with Malzahn taking over as head coach. Nutt got wind of this plan. He had no interest in getting booted upstairs to make way for Malzahn.

I have been told by more than one person close to that situation that Malzahn was aware of this plan. If so it certainly explains why Nutt had an attitude toward Malzahn.
And which of the two is still a head coach at a major program 10 years later and which of the two is persona non grata in college football? That says it all.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Sivad

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 19, 2017, 07:12:07 pm
At the appropriate time those good ole boys hoped to convince Nutt that he needed to become the AD for the good of the program with Malzahn taking over as head coach.
Can you even fathom the colossal goat rope that would have ensued with that jackass becoming AD over all our athletic programs?

TOM "tbw1"

It was my fond hope that MOTHO would not be mentioned on the board ever again.

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

98hogs

I saw Houston D Nutt a week ago at a funeral here in Arkansas.  He was Always an Arkansas Man and even if he made personal mistakes he was always an Arkansas man !

LZH

Quote from: 98hogs on February 20, 2017, 04:35:00 pm
I saw Houston D Nutt a week ago at a funeral here in Arkansas.  He was Always an Arkansas Man and even if he made personal mistakes he was always an Arkansas man !

Yeah! Woohoo! HDN rocks!

rhames

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 19, 2017, 09:23:21 pm
And which of the two is still a head coach at a major program 10 years later and which of the two is persona non grata in college football? That says it all.

Uhhh a little context is needed here. One coached in the SEC for 10 plus years. One is going into his 5th with many thinking he is on the hot seat.

Both are clowns.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Big Boi

I agree but GUS has a better record and played for the Chip.

biglewhog77

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 18, 2017, 03:01:46 pm
Always great for a laugh:

https://youtu.be/edlo3UsGWQs
What's funny/sad is people critique that soundbite and then *some* of the same people make excuses for Bielema's 'I changed that defense' call after the Florida game. Throwing assistants under the bus and taking credit for the turnaround. Which is one thing, but then he didn't follow it up and take the blame for the 38-10 pounding by LSU the following week. If Florida was due to you taking charge and making some changes, then the LSU embarrassment is also on you, so stand up in the post-game presser and take the hit. And actually it shows the changes weren't the real reason, or they would have been more helpful in the LSU game---it had more to do with the team's readiness to play Florida after the Auburn debacle.

And yet I recall reading here 'it's not the same'...'different situation...', etc etc

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 13, 2017, 03:29:18 pm
Both Nutt and Malzahn had people spinning information to the media and to the fans. Nutt's spin doctors were way too aggressive and pretty easy to see through. Malzahn had smarter people pushing his agenda. They fooled me big time.

Think what you will of Mitch Mustain's mom but she was the only one back then sending out warning signals about Malzahn. I should have listened to her.

Everyone should have realized something was going on back then when Mitch went from being "like a son to Gus" to basically wanting nothing to do with Gus.

Gus used Mitch every bit as much as HDN did. I remember some pretty interesting talks with Mitch's mom back before she realized this and remember the conversation we had right after. She was pretty stunned.

This was on another board, not this one, one that frankly I can't even recall the name to now. I stayed away from this board back then.

Letsroll1200

Houston Nutt gets a bad rep when it comes to Arkansas football. I just don't understand why because for the most part he was able to get his players to play at a high level during his time at Arkansas.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2017, 10:14:46 am
Houston Nutt gets a bad rep when it comes to Arkansas football. I just don't understand why because for the most part he was able to get his players to play at a high level during his time at Arkansas.

The biggest frustration (legitimate one anyway) with Nutt was that he could build a pretty decent team everywhere except at the key position.

Think about how many QBs Nutt burned through with hardly any of them living up to expectations. I mean his best QB at Arkansas probably should have never been a QB to begin with. This was even odder considering the fact that he himself was a former QB.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 13, 2017, 10:59:03 pm
Whatever negative opinion you might have about Nutt, Wally Hall is that times two.

Uh, no. He's a writer miscast as a broadcaster.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 21, 2017, 09:47:52 am
What's funny/sad is people critique that soundbite and then *some* of the same people make excuses for Bielema's 'I changed that defense' call after the Florida game. Throwing assistants under the bus and taking credit for the turnaround. Which is one thing, but then he didn't follow it up and take the blame for the 38-10 pounding by LSU the following week. If Florida was due to you taking charge and making some changes, then the LSU embarrassment is also on you, so stand up in the post-game presser and take the hit. And actually it shows the changes weren't the real reason, or they would have been more helpful in the LSU game---it had more to do with the team's readiness to play Florida after the Auburn debacle.

And yet I recall reading here 'it's not the same'...'different situation...', etc etc
Whatever mistakes CBB has made,  I would much prefer him over Nutt. He seems to be an honest, ethical guy who means well -- that is a low bar, but obviously too high for Nutt.

lutherheggs

Yeah, and 4-4 in SEC was "high level" for Nutt. With one of the top 10 better backfields in the history of college football, he went 4-4 in his last season.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on February 21, 2017, 10:18:13 am
The biggest frustration (legitimate one anyway) with Nutt was that he could build a pretty decent team everywhere except at the key position.

Think about how many QBs Nutt burned through with hardly any of them living up to expectations. I mean his best QB at Arkansas probably should have never been a QB to begin with. This was even odder considering the fact that he himself was a former QB.

He was passionate about the Hogs and got his players to compete. He made a huge mistake by hiring Malzahn.

riccoar

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2017, 01:03:25 pm
He was passionate about the Hogs and got his players to compete. He made a huge mistake by hiring Malzahn.
Nutt was, and is, the world's biggest douchebag.  Unfortunately, we had to be the guinea pig.

rhames

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 21, 2017, 01:00:37 pm
Yeah, and 4-4 in SEC was "high level" for Nutt. With one of the top 10 better backfields in the history of college football, he went 4-4 in his last season.

He also went 7-2 in sec play with them.

Devils advocate haha
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Letsroll1200

In the history of college football? That's a stretch!!

lutherheggs

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2017, 01:06:59 pm
Ok. How many college backfields have had 2 consensus All Americans at same time, with one of them winning back to back Doak Walker awards, and a 3rd back who had a great run in the NFL as a 7th round pick (you can hand off the ball to only so many players...if the Hogs had only one of Jones or McFadden, not a stretch to believe Hillis would have easily been a 1,000+ rusher for Arkansas.)?

Some OU teams? USC teams?

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 21, 2017, 01:20:25 pm
Ok. How many college backfields have had 2 consensus All Americans at same time, with one of them winning back to back Doak Walker awards, and a 3rd back who had a great run in the NFL as a 7th round pick (you can hand off the ball to only so many players...if the Hogs had only one of Jones or McFadden, not a stretch to believe Hillis would have easily been a 1,000+ rusher for Arkansas.)?

Some OU teams? USC teams?

LOL how about Army in the mid 40s had Felix "Doc" Blanchard and Glenn Davis. Mr Inside and Mr Outside.

Blanchard won the Heisman in 1945 and Davis won in 1946. And they only lost one game in their 3 years at West Point. That to Notre Dame.

I mean I love the Hogs, but reality is what it is.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on February 21, 2017, 02:37:40 pm
LOL how about Army in the mid 40s had Felix "Doc" Blanchard and Glenn Davis. Mr Inside and Mr Outside.

Blanchard won the Heisman in 1945 and Davis won in 1946. And they only lost one game in their 3 years at West Point. That to Notre Dame.

I mean I love the Hogs, but reality is what it is.
You having to go back over 70 years to find a single example pretty much confirms my original statement. And I did not say BEST, which is very subjective. I said one of the 10 better backfields ever.

depressed_fan

To be fair, it takes more than 3 great running backs in the SEC to win. The defense had lost 4 players from the 06 to 07 team, and Tony Ugoh  to the colts on O-line.  I would give him the credit for getting those guys here those 3 years and winning the SEC west in 06, more than I would blast the 4-4 conference record from 07.  History shows us 4-4 for us in the SEC is a pretty rare year.   If Nick Saban or Bob Petrino had of been in his prime here those years with those players, I  doubt they would have done any better with it.

I remember interpreting that whole article and phone call ordeal as, Wally rolled the dice that the majority of his newspaper readers had finally turned against Nutt. I'm not a statewide newspaper sports editor in a small state with only one show in town. But I would think Wally already smelled blood in the water anyway and figured it was time for the states biggest newspaper to declare a stance on Nutt.  Wally has to write what the readers want to read about. It sells papers.  They didn't want to read that 12-5 in SEC play the past 2 years was probably the pinnacle they could hope for. 

I think when Nutt called the show, he put the weak article in it's place and Wally knew it. That's why he acted like a scared little mouse.  I don't even think Wally was against him.

Sivad

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on February 20, 2017, 02:30:36 pm
It was my fond hope that MOTHO would not be mentioned on the board ever again.
It was my fond hope that MOTHO would never step foot back in Arkansas ever again.

lutherheggs

Quote from: depressed_fan on February 21, 2017, 05:43:06 pm
To be fair, it takes more than 3 great running backs in the SEC to win. The defense had lost 4 players from the 06 to 07 team, and Tony Ugoh  to the colts on O-line.  I would give him the credit for getting those guys here those 3 years and winning the SEC west in 06, more than I would blast the 4-4 conference record from 07.  History shows us 4-4 for us in the SEC is a pretty rare year.   If Nick Saban or Bob Petrino had of been in his prime here those years with those players, I  doubt they would have done any better with it.

I remember interpreting that whole article and phone call ordeal as, Wally rolled the dice that the majority of his newspaper readers had finally turned against Nutt. I'm not a statewide newspaper sports editor in a small state with only one show in town. But I would think Wally already smelled blood in the water anyway and figured it was time for the states biggest newspaper to declare a stance on Nutt.  Wally has to write what the readers want to read about. It sells papers.  They didn't want to read that 12-5 in SEC play the past 2 years was probably the pinnacle they could hope for. 

I think when Nutt called the show, he put the weak article in it's place and Wally knew it. That's why he acted like a scared little mouse.  I don't even think Wally was against him.
I do not care.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2017, 01:03:25 pm
He had tremendous in-state talent and would get the players psyched up for about one game in four, then they would blow two games they should win because they were disorganized or didn't care.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2017, 01:06:59 pm
There were three NFL starters on it, including a Heisman finalist. Name 10 others that have had that.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Seebs on February 13, 2017, 08:59:21 am
My hate for Houston Nutt is so real and perfect that re-watching items in the thread only bellow the fires of Vitriol and disdain I have for him as a human being and certainly as a coach of my beloved Razorbacks.

Nutt is a liar, a coward, a narcissist and such a back-stabbing loser he cannot get a coaching job in his mid to late 50's because all programs know he is poison to both their programs and to the player's souls.

If you have children that begin to show any traits parallel to HDNs personality please begin shock therapy treatments and hire a priest for an exorcism.  HDN is the debil

And your the udder crust from the infected teets of your avatar. Get a life there Glutton4dumbness, if HDN is still bothering you, get some freakin therapy and stay away from children and giving advice.
That about does it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: HotlantaHog on February 22, 2017, 04:38:08 pm
There were three NFL starters on it, including a Heisman finalist. Name 10 others that have had that.

Here's 7 backfields that arguably , or not so arguably, had better NFL success

University of Tennesse (Late 90's)- Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, and Travis Stephens.

- Notre Dame (Late 80's) Thunder and Lightning- Jerome Bettis and Reggie Brooks.

- Oklahoma State (Late 80's)- Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders.

- Nebraska (Mid 90's)- Lawrence Phillips, Ahman Green, and Tommy Frazier (I included Frazier as he was pretty much a rb ligned up as qb)

- Auburn (Early 2000's)- Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown

- SMU (Early 80's) Pony Express- Eric Dickerson and Craig James.

- Miami (Early 2000's)- Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee.

In point of fact, one could probably argue that having those three guys all at the same position made Arkansas WEAKER than they otherwise could have been had the talent been spread out among many positions.

What good does 3 NFL caliber running backs do if you don't have an SEC caliber QB, for example?

Sivad

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 22, 2017, 10:45:04 pm
If HDN is still bothering you, get some freakin therapy.
Those classes are still booked solid.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on February 23, 2017, 09:44:27 am
Here's 7 backfields that arguably , or not so arguably, had better NFL success

University of Tennesse (Late 90's)- Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, and Travis Stephens.

- Notre Dame (Late 80's) Thunder and Lightning- Jerome Bettis and Reggie Brooks.

- Oklahoma State (Late 80's)- Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders.

- Nebraska (Mid 90's)- Lawrence Phillips, Ahman Green, and Tommy Frazier (I included Frazier as he was pretty much a rb ligned up as qb)

- Auburn (Early 2000's)- Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown

- SMU (Early 80's) Pony Express- Eric Dickerson and Craig James.

- Miami (Early 2000's)- Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee.

In point of fact, one could probably argue that having those three guys all at the same position made Arkansas WEAKER than they otherwise could have been had the talent been spread out among many positions.

What good does 3 NFL caliber running backs do if you don't have an SEC caliber QB, for example?
Yea, you could argue those either way.

The point is valid in that there has always been a logic fallacy with some fans.

Having a great backfield doesn't guarantee anything. They don't play defense, and they don't kick the ball. And as you say, they don't play QB.

It's one unit on the field.

One could argue those 2006-2007 teams should or should not have done more. Personally, I think they were close to achieving max potential, as combined with a good defense in 2006, won a West Division title, and in 2007 set some scoring records.

Fans need to quit talking about certain positions and make their arguments based on the team as a whole. If you want to argue Nutt should have done more as far as building teams as a whole, that's a different discussion. But we need to put to bed the notion that having a great backfield = 'success'. False argument.

hog.goblin

hog.goblin

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 23, 2017, 11:21:58 am

Having a great backfield doesn't guarantee anything. They don't play defense, and they don't kick the ball. And as you say, they don't play QB.

And they didn't call that play brother!

Justifiable Hogicide

Houston Nutt gets a bad rep when it comes to Arkansas football.
Houston Nutt gives a bad rap to the human race.

biglewhog77

hog.goblin

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 23, 2017, 11:55:01 pm
This is your brain
This is your brain on drugs

Not for nothing, but have you compared Nutt's record at Arkansas to Bielema's?

Or if you want to compare them as people, Petrino was/is a far more despicable human being than Nutt, do you miss Petrino?

longtimeHogfan

It's taken me awhile, but I can finally look back at our 'hootie' days and smile.  Getting him out of Fayetteville and watching him melt down at Old Mess restored my faith in humanity. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

LZH

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on February 24, 2017, 10:17:07 am
Or if you want to compare them as people, Petrino was/is a far more despicable human being than Nutt, do you miss Petrino?

[CENSORED] A I do....

hog.goblin

Not for nothing, but have you compared Nutt's record at Arkansas to Bielema's?

hard to compare, different eras, different competition, both with subpar results at Arkansas.  At least Bret had success elsewhere.  Nutt was 1 - 15 in  his last 16 SEC games.

I miss Petrino the coach.  Of course as a person he was a jerk.  But he didn't pretend otherwise.  You knew what you were getting with Petrino, except perhaps the extra girlfriend.

Nutt pretended to be your best buddy, but was and is a weasel behind your back, and snakeoil salesman to the public.  An embarrassment to whoever he represented.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 24, 2017, 11:18:30 pm
hard to compare, different eras, different competition, both with subpar results at Arkansas.  At least Bret had success elsewhere.  Nutt was 1 - 15 in  his last 16 SEC games.

I miss Petrino the coach.  Of course as a person he was a jerk.  But he didn't pretend otherwise.  You knew what you were getting with Petrino, except perhaps the extra girlfriend.

Nutt pretended to be your best buddy, but was and is a weasel behind your back, and snakeoil salesman to the public.  An embarrassment to whoever he represented.

You do acknowledge that dozens and dozens of Nutt's former players, including the greatest Hog ever, loved and still love Houston Nutt, right? I'm not saying that makes him a good guy or anything of the kind, but it is true.