• 376,368 Topics
• 20,961 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 year anniversary of Houston Nutt's phone call  (Read 6811 times)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: 10 year anniversary of Houston Nutt's phone call
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »

What some of the fans want (wins mostly) and what other fans want (wins and integrity in a well run program) tend to bump up against one another.

If all the majority of the contributing fan base wants is to win then we need to stick with someone like BP and be prepared to engage in pre-emptive damage control because that staff and that program will be more difficult to manage.

If you want the kind of "hold your head high" program that Bielema will provide, we need to be ready for the fact that we aren't going to win 9-10-11 games every year (only occasionally), but the program will operate at a high level, win more than they lose, graduate good citizens and future contributing Alumini and that will not bring any question of shame to the program for the most part.

You probably aren't going to be able to have your cake and eat it too.

When it comes to college athletics it is extremely rare to be able to have your cake and eat it too in that way. Maybe even impossible. Because the UA is my Alma Mater I'm more of the desire to "hold your head high" type.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Future Global Moderator Now Posting Cautiously!
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2017, 08:07:58 am »

What some of the fans want (wins mostly) and what other fans want (wins and integrity in a well run program) tend to bump up against one another.

If all the majority of the contributing fan base wants is to win then we need to stick with someone like BP and be prepared to engage in pre-emptive damage control because that staff and that program will be more difficult to manage.

If you want the kind of "hold your head high" program that Bielema will provide, we need to be ready for the fact that we aren't going to win 9-10-11 games every year (only occasionally), but the program will operate at a high level, win more than they lose, graduate good citizens and future contributing Alumini and that will not bring any question of shame to the program for the most part.

You probably aren't going to be able to have your cake and eat it too.

Some fans want to win at all costs, some believe the program can win big and still have integrity with the right head coach (I'm here), while others believe integrity is all that matters whether the team wins or not. At the moment, the people in the 3rd group are the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

jswineberiaskirk

• Senior
  • Greatest of all time
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2017, 08:36:54 am »

My hate for Houston Nutt is so real and perfect that re-watching items in the thread only bellow the fires of Vitriol and disdain I have for him as a human being and certainly as a coach of my beloved Razorbacks.

Nutt is a liar, a coward, a narcissist and such a back-stabbing loser he cannot get a coaching job in his mid to late 50's because all programs know he is poison to both their programs and to the player's souls.

If you have children that begin to show any traits parallel to HDNs personality please begin shock therapy treatments and hire a priest for an exorcism.  HDN is the debil

Agree 1000%. Give me BP a million times over that useless waste of flesh.

oldhawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2017, 12:40:09 pm »

Some fans want to win at all costs, some believe the program can win big and still have integrity with the right head coach (I'm here), while others believe integrity is all that matters whether the team wins or not. At the moment, the people in the 3rd group are the problem.

My intuition tells me that there are not very many people in the third group, but even so, why would you think they are a problem?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2017, 04:32:07 pm »

I think it's the win at all cost ones that are the problem.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:37 am »

I agree that they are part of the problem too.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2017, 11:43:37 am »

My intuition tells me that there are not very many people in the third group, but even so, why would you think they are a problem?

Because many of them would sacrifice wins for integrity and I have a serious problem with that. It really is possible to run a program with integrity and win big at the same time. That is what should be happening at the U of A in football but currently we're only getting half of it. They have the integrity part down pat and that's a good thing but with the exception of 2014, on the field performance has pretty well stunk since April of 2012.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2017, 08:03:34 am »

Not until we get caught at something.... :P

PORKULATOR

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2017, 08:50:07 am »

You're an idiot if this thread title still means ANYTHING TO YOU.
An empty tool shed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas