Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the NCAA have a suspension process of umpires?

Started by mj4president, June 04, 2017, 12:05:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

More asking for knowledge, I'm sure we have former umps on the site.

It was a clear hit on LB. Seems this would be something were the league(s) would like to rid the game of.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

theFlyingHog

From the ump's perspective I can see how he would not have seen the ball hit LB on the thigh. Poor guy doesn't have the luxury of a Lazy Boy and a beer balanced on his fat gut in front of a large TV

onebadrubi

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 04, 2017, 12:12:58 am
From the ump's perspective I can see how he would not have seen the ball hit LB on the thigh. Poor guy doesn't have the luxury of a Lazy Boy and a beer balanced on his fat gut in front of a large TV

He does have the ability to ask the other umps, but ego usually plays a part in this not happening.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: mrp on June 04, 2017, 12:14:42 am
But he's got ears and he was right there.

To answer the original post I think the league promotes those guys.
Looked to me like the catcher was between him and the area of contact. What does it sound like when a baseball brushes a clothed thigh in such a manner as to require a person to play it back in slowmo multiple times in order to ascertain with certainty what actually happened? A 12 gauge? A .22LR? Apparently it's so loud the fans behind home plate are bleeding from their anuses.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 04, 2017, 12:14:07 am
He does have the ability to ask the other umps, but ego usually plays a part in this not happening.
Other umps also have a duty to step in and inform the rest of the crew that they saw something(heard?) that changes the current call. None did. Now we have a conspiracy. AND EVERYBODY'S IN ON IT!

onebadrubi

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 04, 2017, 12:22:48 am
Other umps also have a duty to step in and inform the rest of the crew that they saw something(heard?) that changes the current call. None did. Now we have a conspiracy. AND EVERYBODY'S IN ON IT!

No, no they don't!!!!!  You ever seen a first base or third base ump
Say, no home plate ump he actually didn't swing there or hey he did swing?  No you haven't unless they were asked.  They would never do such a thing until the home plate guy ask. 

You are just being an annoying troll with your conspiracy crap and comments.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 04, 2017, 12:32:50 am
No, no they don't!!!!!  You ever seen a first base or third base ump
Say, no home plate ump he actually didn't swing there or hey he did swing?  No you haven't unless they were asked.  They would never do such a thing until the home plate guy ask. 

You are just being an annoying troll with your conspiracy crap and comments.
So you refer to check swing only. Figures.

SPAL

He is right. Base umps have no obligation to interfere unless asked for an appeal by the defensive team. At which point, they do have to honor the appeal.

dotnet

the home plate ump has to request for an appeal before the base ump will rule

Hogwild

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 04, 2017, 12:46:06 am
He is right. Base umps have no obligation to interfere unless asked for an appeal by the defensive team. At which point, they do have to honor the appeal.

No one is going to over rule the home plate ump with regard to a hit by pitch.

SPAL

Quote from: Hogwild on June 04, 2017, 12:51:26 am

That's not an appeal situation..

TikiHog

DVH did look at the 3rd base ump and he just held his hands out like I dont know

Sho Nuff

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 04, 2017, 12:12:58 am
Ok, but to call it a flippin' strike?  That ball was way inside.

YtownHog

Quote from: Sho Nuff on June 04, 2017, 07:19:29 am
Ok, but to call it a flippin' strike?  That ball was way inside.

It was called a ball. It was an 0-2 count and became 1-2.

Pudgepork

Quote from: YtownHog on June 04, 2017, 07:44:41 am
It was called a ball. It was an 0-2

I just want to see a fired up team on the field today

toxichog

I was sitting down the 3rd base line.......no way the 3rd base ump could have seen it, yes or no.  Bottom line is that it is the responsibility of the 3 hole hitter to get back in the box and battle.....at least put the ball in play, hopefully advancing the runner into scoring position.........then there is no double play.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogwild on June 04, 2017, 12:51:26 am

I've seen it happened a couple times just this baseball season actually.  Look, most umps want it right regardless.  They look like a better ump if they all get together and see what each guy saw. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: YtownHog on June 04, 2017, 07:44:41 am
It was called a ball. It was an 0-2 count and became 1-2.

The tv guys and their score box thing thought it was a strike and out up the first out. 

hogginbama

It's just frustrating that we see a decline in the abilities of the officials in all sports with little to no reprecussions. Officials are expected to be the masters of their crafts and when they are consistently bad it is frustrating for all teams.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Razrpig256

Quote from: hogginbama on June 04, 2017, 01:37:20 pm
It's just frustrating that we see a decline in the abilities of the officials in all sports with little to no reprecussions. Officials are expected to be the masters of their crafts and when they are consistently bad it is frustrating for all teams.

Even more frustrating to me is that every postseason game is televised in some way, yet we can't use replay to fix those atrocious calls. Defies logic.

MSUDuo

Quote from: hogginbama on June 04, 2017, 01:37:20 pm

Agreed. Just need to get rid of all umps/refs and set up a system of videos and reviews to make the calls.

Ever wonder why there are fewer and fewer people signing up to be refs these days?

theFlyingHog

I don't think the umps are getting worse. It's just that we can scrutinize every call in slow motion to our heart's content now. Every call is split-second for them and a lifetime for people sitting in their lazy boy drinking beer

mhsbc59

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 04, 2017, 02:16:55 pm
I don't think the umps are getting worse. It's just that we can scrutinize every call in slow motion to our heart's content now. Every call is split-second for them and a lifetime for people sitting in their lazy boy drinking beer

I don't care for your opinions on ump but what do you have against lazy boys, beers and those that sit in them with them lol
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

WorfHog

If only there were a way to let the crew see the slow-mo replay. 

I also support and endorse lazy boy beer drinking.

Smalltownhog95

In our day and age of technology ignorance is optional. In a time of slow mo instant replay getting a call wrong is optional as well. That should be a reviewable play.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

kodiakisland

Quote from: mhsbc59 on June 04, 2017, 04:30:02 pm
I don't care for your opinions on ump but what do you have against lazy boys, beers and those that sit in them with them lol

Maybe he's more of a chaise lounge, wine guy.

I wish I could afford a La-Z-Boy.  Think I'll get something like this when I retire: http://www.la-z-boy.com/p/recliners/pinnacle-platinum-luxury-lift-powerreclinexr-w-six-motor-massage--heat/_/R-1PM512
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

jfred59

If they work for the SEC they get "bonuses" for doing the right job

mj4president

These umps belong in prison, along with the Arizona St ump.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 04, 2017, 07:07:18 pm
Maybe he's more of a chaise lounge, wine guy.

I wish I could afford a La-Z-Boy.  Think I'll get something like this when I retire: http://www.la-z-boy.com/p/recliners/pinnacle-platinum-luxury-lift-powerreclinexr-w-six-motor-massage--heat/_/R-1PM512
If you're an IPA guy I highly recommend this if you can find it

hogginbama

Funny that in a split second he could tell that Arledge "raised" his elbow, but the cat last night couldn't tell Luke got hit in the leg?

Put yourself in a right-handed batters stance, now twist backwards to avoid being hit. In what direction does your left arm travel? Mine travels in a slight upward motion, with no intentional movement to move the left arm up. Yet the ump says the move was intentional by Arledge. Took that slow, over-scrutinizing replay to allow the announcers to say ump was correct.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogginbama on June 04, 2017, 11:44:42 pm
Funny that in a split second he could tell that Arledge "raised" his elbow, but the cat last night couldn't tell Luke got hit in the leg?

Put yourself in a right-handed batters stance, now twist backwards to avoid being hit. In what direction does your left arm travel? Mine travels in a slight upward motion, with no intentional movement to move the left arm up. Yet the ump says the move was intentional by Arledge. Took that slow, over-scrutinizing replay to allow the announcers to say ump was correct.
Care to ask my opinion on this particular call before you slay me for it?
At this level, a HBP should result in a trip to first base unless the hitter grossly attempts to get in the way of it. You shouldn't have to try to get out of the way of the ball. Maybe that's not even the rule in college and the ump ruled that he moved his elbow in an attempt to get hit but it sure AF wasn't a huge blatant move. If I were at the game that ump would know what I did to his mother, sister, wife and daughter and he would probably think his car has four flat tires

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 04, 2017, 11:51:13 pm
If I were at the game that ump would know what I did to his mother, sister, wife and daughter and he would probably think his car has four flat tires
This is Arkansas. We lit our starting QB's truck on fire. Don't let a slimey umpire off with just 4 flat tires!
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!