Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 BASEBALL POLLS

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, February 09, 2017, 01:30:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhawgfan

18 rpi - what would the rpi have been if we hadn't given the Vols game 1 and swept the double header?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

jbell96

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 08, 2017, 11:14:14 am
18 rpi - what would the rpi have been if we hadn't given the Vols game 1 and swept the double header?

We would probably be at 15 or 16.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 08, 2017, 11:14:14 am
Just guessing, but probably 2 or 3 spots for the better rather than 1 for the worse. Could be the difference in hosting or not, but it's not over yet.

Wisco Pig

All Week 12 polls have been released.  To see where Arkansas ranks, see Reply #102 above.

If you dismiss the College Baseball Central poll as an outlier, the polls and indices have converged and the Hogs are ranked anywhere from 15th to 19th.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 08, 2017, 04:53:34 pm
All Week 12 polls have been released.  To see where Arkansas ranks, see Reply #102 above.

If you dismiss the College Baseball Central poll as an outlier, the polls and indices have converged and the Hogs are ranked anywhere from 15th to 19th.
Thanks for taking this thread and running with it, Wisco. You do a great job with it and it sure comes in handy.

Wisco Pig

Wisco Pig

May 15, 2017, 10:00:35 am #106 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:58:35 pm by Wisco Pig
All Week 13 polls (May 15th) have been released. 

Perfect Game:         Hogs are 14th  (15th last week)
Collegiate Baseball:  Hogs are 15th  (15th last week)
Baseball America:    Hogs are 16th  (18th last week)
USA Today:             Hogs are 16th  (16th last week)
NCBWA:                 Hogs are 16th  (17th last week)
D1 Baseball:           Hogs are 17th  (18th last week)
College BB Central:  Unranked        (unranked last week)

Warren Nolan:         #18 RPI, #44 SoS, 12-10 vs. Top 50  (Last week: 18 RPI, 45 SoS, 12-10 v. Top 50)
Boyd's World:          #20 RPI  (#19 last week)

A few notes: 
(1) College Baseball Central is just trolling the Hogs at this point. 
(2) Despite 2 wins over Vandy, Arkansas remains 12-10 vs. the RPI Top 50 because Rhode Island fell out of it.
(3) A closer look at the Boyd's World RPI shows Arkansas and two other teams essentially tied at 18th.

jry04

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 15, 2017, 10:00:35 am
Some Week 13 polls (May 15th) have been released. 

Warren Nolan:         #18 RPI, #44 SoS, 12-10 vs. Top 50  (Last week: 18 RPI, 45 SoS, 12-10 v. Top 50)

A few notes: 
(2) Despite 2 wins over Vandy, Arkansas remains 12-10 vs. the RPI Top 50 because Rhode Island fell out of it.
(3) A closer look at the Boyd's World RPI shows Arkansas and two other teams essentially tied at 18th.

MSU dropping just 1 spot in the D1 baseball poll after losing 2 of 3 @ UGA is ridiculous. They are 1/2 game ahead of us, we swept them, and they are 9 spots higher than us. 5 teams behind them going into the week went 2-1 or better, and they were only jumped by 1 team(UK who swept UT). Even Clemson fell 5 spots for going 2-3 and getting swept by #2 Louisville in all 2 run ball games. The love fest for them is absolutely ridiculous. I really hope if we don't sweep A&M, then MSU loses their series and gets the 5 seed and we get the 4. Then they can use Pilkington in their first game, and we can beat them in our first game and go 4-0 against them and put an end to this blasphemy once and for all. Their RPI is 24th, they are just .5 ahead of us, but the writers are already saying this LSU v MSU series is for a national seed spot. In my opinion, we should be considered a host over them at this point. Does head-to-head not mean anything these days?

Wisco Pig

May 15, 2017, 10:41:44 am #108 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:58:53 am by Wisco Pig
I'm right there with you, Jry.  I agree with most people on this board that winning 2 of 3 in College Station should nail down a host spot for Arkansas, but seeing stuff like this makes me a little nervous.

Note that I've updated the above list of today's polls to add the Collegiate Baseball poll.  The Hogs are 15th, same as last week.  Because we've been talking about Mississippi State, I see they dropped from 6th to 9th.

Kevin

that is why I am rooting for us to win two vs a&m, and lsu sweeping msu. put us in second in the west ahead of them.

hard to let them host over us, if they end up behind us, and we swept them, plus, we would have won 4 of the last 6, they would be 1-5.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2017, 12:02:12 pm
that is why I am rooting for us to win two vs a&m, and lsu sweeping msu. put us in second in the west ahead of them.

hard to let them host over us, if they end up behind us, and we swept them, plus, we would have won 4 of the last 6, they would be 1-5.

Very true. Getting a W over them in the SEC would just be icing on the cake.

UAfan

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 15, 2017, 10:00:35 am
Some Week 13 polls (May 15th) have been released. 

Collegiate Baseball:  Hogs are 15th  (15th last week)

A few notes: 

I really would like to see what kind of explanation CBB World would have for not having Arkansas in the top 25.

Kevin

where would you rank a team that is
7-4 vs top 50
3-8-1 vs 51 to 100
19-4 101 to 200
3-0 201 & up

strength of schedule 66
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

How about ranking this team

7-5 top 50
7-4 51-100
14-7 101-200
3-1  201 & above 

strength of schedule 88

Kevin

last one:

8-6 vs top 50-100
8-3 vs 51-100
18-3 101-200
6-0 vs 200 & up

sos 87

Kevin

sorry one more

5-4 vs top 50
6-3 vs 51-100
15-4 vs 101-200
13-1 201+

sos 145

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2017, 12:36:01 pm
last one:

8-6 vs top 50-100
8-3 vs 51-100
18-3 101-200
6-0 vs 200 & up

sos 87

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2017, 12:28:43 pm
How about ranking this team

7-5 top 50
7-4 51-100
14-7 101-200
3-1  201 & above 

strength of schedule 88

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2017, 12:41:00 pm
sorry one more

5-4 vs top 50
6-3 vs 51-100
15-4 vs 101-200
13-1 201+

sos 145

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2017, 12:25:19 pm
where would you rank a team that is
7-4 vs top 50
3-8-1 vs 51 to 100
19-4 101 to 200
3-0 201 & up

strength of schedule 66
Switch the last two.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Wisco Pig

Thanks, Kevin.   Those blind comparisons are interesting.   I was able to look up the four teams in question, and I agree that none of them should be ranked above Arkansas.

Also, an update:  The USA Today poll posted while I was out getting my hair cut.  The Hogs are 16th in that poll, just as they were last week.

HogFansReunited

Honestly only one of those looks like a top 25 team.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Kevin

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 15, 2017, 12:51:42 pm
Thanks, Kevin.   Those blind comparisons are interesting.   I was able to look up the four teams in question, and I agree that none of them should be ranked above Arkansas.

Also, an update:  The USA Today poll posted while I was out getting my hair cut.  The Hogs are 16th in that poll, just as they were last week.

and one of them will be a host

PigWig

I don't know why Mississippi St is still ahead of us.  We have a better overall record, swept them in the head to head series, have a better RPI, and are very close in SEC record.  They're coming off a series loss to one of the worst teams in the conference while we're coming off a series win against a top 25 RPI team. 

jbell96

Quote from: PigWig on May 15, 2017, 01:01:33 pm
I don't know why Mississippi St is still ahead of us.  We have a better overall record, swept them in the head to head series, have a better RPI, and are very close in SEC record.  They're coming off a series loss to one of the worst teams in the conference while we're coming off a series win against a top 25 RPI team. 

I can see them still being ahead of us, we were 0-2-1 in our last 3 series before this past weekend, but them not dropping more than one spot in the D1 poll was ridiculous.

I mean Clemson dropped from 8 to 13 after being swept by #2 Louisville, lost all 3 games by 2 runs, which is understandable, but State not dropping more than one after losing to a bottom 3 SEC team, when 4 teams ranked right behind them all won this weekend, is just plain stupid.

razCzar

Quote from: UAfan on May 15, 2017, 12:07:08 pm
I really would like to see what kind of explanation CBB World would have for not having Arkansas in the top 25.

I had never heard of this bunch before seeing them listed here lately.

Any poll which ignores the Diamond Hogs like this needs to themselves be ignored by the fan-base.

I say ban from EI any further linking to this 'johnny-come-lately' outfit.

Wisco Pig

All Week 13 polls have been released.  To see where Arkansas ranks, see Reply #110 above.

At this point, I think we can dismiss the College Baseball Central poll as an outlier.  The other six polls rank the Hogs 14th to 17th.

jbell96

jbell96

WhenPigsFly

To be solidly in the top 15 in the polls and RPI is huge.  Plus,  there are enough solid host sites in the west that hopefully someone like us won't get screwed out of a position.

Wisco Pig

May 22, 2017, 10:37:33 am #127 Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:58:08 pm by Wisco Pig
All Week 14 polls (May 22nd) have been released.   

Perfect Game:         Hogs are 12th  (14th last week)
NCBWA:                 Hogs are 12th  (16th last week)
Baseball America:    Hogs are 13th  (16th last week)
D1 Baseball:           Hogs are 13th  (17th last week)
Collegiate Baseball:  Hogs are 13th  (15th last week)
USA Today:             Hogs are 13th  (16th last week)
College BB Central:  A knuckle-headed ranking that I will no longer report
Warren Nolan:         #14 RPI, #40 SoS, 15-11 vs. Top 50  (Last week: 18 RPI, 44 SoS, 12-10 v. Top 50)
Boyd's World:          #15 RPI (#20 last week)

jbell96

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 22, 2017, 10:09:09 am
To be solidly in the top 15 in the polls and RPI is huge.  Plus,  there are enough solid host sites in the west that hopefully someone like us won't get screwed out of a position.

Yeah, between Oregon State, Stanford, & Long Beach, Arizona is another possibility to host, I don't think we'll get screwed. We just need to win at least 1 game in Hoover and we will be fine.

dotnet

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 22, 2017, 10:09:09 am

Not only that, another regional that can easily be paired with a out west super. 

* Disclaimer, I think Texas Tech and Stanford are the two easiest national seeds to face. 

Wisco Pig

I've updated today's polls at Reply #131 above.   

jbell96

Quote from: dotnet on May 22, 2017, 10:59:55 am
Not only that, another regional that can easily be paired with a out west super. 

* Disclaimer, I think Texas Tech and Stanford are the two easiest national seeds to face. 

You think Texas Tech would be an easier national seed to face? They're on my short list of who I don't want to be paired with, along with Oregon State & UNC.

oldrazorband

Look for us to be paired with UNC in the second round... Super Regional.  It's a tradition  8)

Baconomics

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 22, 2017, 10:37:33 am

Who is this guy?  Is he a complete amateur?  I would blame an anti-SEC bias, but he has both Mississippi State and Auburn(!) still ranked in his Top 25.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Wisco Pig on May 22, 2017, 10:37:33 am
The Week 14 polls (May 22nd) have been released except for NCBWA.   

Perfect Game:         Hogs are 12th  (14th last week)
Baseball America:    Hogs are 13th  (16th last week)
D1 Baseball:           Hogs are 13th  (17th last week)
Collegiate Baseball:  Hogs are 13th (15th last week)
USA Today:             Hogs are 13th (16th last week)
NCBWA:                 Not yet released  (16th last week)
Warren Nolan:         #14 RPI, #40 SoS, 15-11 vs. Top 50  (Last week: 18 RPI, 44 SoS, 12-10 v. Top 50)
Boyd’s World:          #15 RPI (#20 last week)

I have wrote a comment on the last few polls that College Baseball Central has released questioning why they don't have Arkansas ranked.  They always delete my comments though.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 22, 2017, 03:26:39 pm
I have wrote a comment on the last few polls that College Baseball Central has released questioning why they don't have Arkansas ranked.  They always delete my comments though.

I just posted one, it lasted about 4 minutes, deleted.  It was civil, just asked why Arkansas with a 39-15 record, RPI of 14, with a sweep over ranked Mississippi State and a win over ranked Missouri State was not on his list.   No ugly tone, or accusations...  So, I guess I will re-post telling him how great he is, and awesome his poll is... :puke:
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Kevin

he doesn't even have us in the considered category. has to be something in the past with this guy. cause you lose all credibility by doing this.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on May 22, 2017, 04:03:34 pm
I just posted one, it lasted about 4 minutes, deleted.  It was civil, just asked why Arkansas with a 39-15 record, RPI of 14, with a sweep over ranked Mississippi State and a win over ranked Missouri State was not on his list.   No ugly tone, or accusations...  So, I guess I will re-post telling him how great he is, and awesome his poll is... :puke:

Same here, I was very respectful but questioned how he could leave the hogs out. I put up our resume vs several teams he has in the top 25 as well.

Member #3568

dotnet

I'm not sure why you guys care what that guy says.  Any joe blow can create a baseball blog.  It doesn't mean its a better opinion than you or I have.

HogFansReunited

He actually responded to me today and Simi explained why he doesn't have us ranked. He used our recorded against SEC teams to explain it but didn't take into account our RPI or overall record.

Member #3568

onebadrubi

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 22, 2017, 09:30:55 pm
He actually responded to me today and Simi explained why he doesn't have us ranked. He used our recorded against SEC teams to explain it but didn't take into account our RPI or overall record.

So he used finishing 4th in the sec as a negative thing?

Birminghog

Quote from: nesjunk on May 22, 2017, 03:25:33 pm
Who is this guy?  Is he a complete amateur?  I would blame an anti-SEC bias, but he has both Mississippi State and Auburn(!) still ranked in his Top 25.

BA in Poly Sci from the Sam Houston Institute

TikiHog

May 22, 2017, 11:44:28 pm #142 Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:06:41 pm by TikiHog
 • 3 hours ago
Randall, thanks for the comment.

I admit that I've probably been too harsh on Arkansas since that stretch where they lost series to Auburn and Mississippi, and then split with Tennessee.

Let's just draw a comparison between the two other SEC teams toward the back of the rankings. Auburn has hit the skids a bit lately, but I like their series wins over Florida, Arkansas, and Mississippi State more than the top results on Arkansas' resume, which is a sweep of MSU.

Same goes for MSU, actually. The head to head goes to Arkansas, and you can't ignore that. But MSU's series win over Kentucky can't be overlooked. To me, that's the most impressive result on either of the two resumes. The rest of the results are somewhat interchangeable. Both won series against Mizzou, MSU swept both UT and OM, while the Hogs went 2-3 against those two. Arkansas won the series with Georgia, while MSU lost it. Both won series over A&M. You get the idea. I think those two are pretty close.

In the end, polls are subjective, and I just disagree with the majority opinion on this one. It's not that I don't respect those opinions, whether from some of the college baseball writers whose work I enjoy or passionate fans of the program. I just simply disagree.

And while we're on the topic, I actually like Arkansas' team, especially their offense. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them make a deep run in the postseason. The great thing about college baseball is that they'll get their shot to prove that I'm dead wrong, with runs in the SEC Tournament and in what will probably be a home regional.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: TikiHog on May 22, 2017, 11:44:28 pm
Joe Healy  Randy• 3 hours ago
Randy, thanks for the comment.

I admit that I've probably been too harsh on Arkansas since that stretch where they lost series to Auburn and Mississippi, and then split with Tennessee.

Let's just draw a comparison between the two other SEC teams toward the back of the rankings. Auburn has hit the skids a bit lately, but I like their series wins over Florida, Arkansas, and Mississippi State more than the top results on Arkansas' resume, which is a sweep of MSU.

Same goes for MSU, actually. The head to head goes to Arkansas, and you can't ignore that. But MSU's series win over Kentucky can't be overlooked. To me, that's the most impressive result on either of the two resumes. The rest of the results are somewhat interchangeable. Both won series against Mizzou, MSU swept both UT and OM, while the Hogs went 2-3 against those two. Arkansas won the series with Georgia, while MSU lost it. Both won series over A&M. You get the idea. I think those two are pretty close.

In the end, polls are subjective, and I just disagree with the majority opinion on this one. It's not that I don't respect those opinions, whether from some of the college baseball writers whose work I enjoy or passionate fans of the program. I just simply disagree.

And while we're on the topic, I actually like Arkansas' team, especially their offense. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them make a deep run in the postseason. The great thing about college baseball is that they'll get their shot to prove that I'm dead wrong, with runs in the SEC Tournament and in what will probably be a home regional.

Thanks.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

The college baseball central writer finally moved the Hogs into the teams considered category.  Considering that almost no one ever comments on his articles, I bet we are about the only people that read them.

Member #3568

BroyledNutts

Joe Healy ... just found his picture ...

Hogs49ers

Anyone think we have any shot in hell of sneaking into the top 25 of the baseball central poll??
SCREW Vandy!

razCzar

May 28, 2017, 01:57:23 am #147 Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 04:14:48 am by razCzar
This is a quote from a WholeHogSports, which confirms what most of us already know... that this bogus outfit (college baseball central) is NOT even considered one of the five major college baseball polls.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/24/hulkamania-runs-through-arkansas-hitters/

All 13s
Arkansas is ranked No. 13 in all five of the major college baseball polls: the USA Today coaches poll, Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, D1Baseball.com and the National College Baseball Writers Association.

The 5 are listed right there.  This Healy guy is just some 'wannabe' who's shown his leanings/ineptitude all season, in spite of what he may say when put on the spot. 
Going forward, I'd just like to see us, as a fanbase, simply ignore this :puke: outfit's very existence.   

Wisco Pig

Not that it matters much at this point, but for the record, all Week 15 polls (May 29) have been released.   

NCBWA:                  Hogs are 11th  (12th last week)
Baseball America:    Hogs are 11th  (13th last week)
Perfect Game:         Hogs are 12th  (12th last week)
D1 Baseball:            Hogs are 12th  (13th last week)
USA Today:              Hogs are 12th  (13th last week)
Collegiate Baseball:  Hogs are 13th  (13th last week)
Warren Nolan:          #14 RPI, #33 SoS, 16-13 v. Top 50  (Last wk: 14 RPI, 40 SoS, 15-11 v. Top 50)
Boyd's World:           #14 RPI (tied with two others; #15 last week)

razCzar

Almost forgot about this subject / had to go back 4 pages for this thread.  Anyway, for historical purposes:

ARKANSAS
FINAL End-of-Season POLLS
NCBWA                     22nd (prev 11th)
Baseball America       19th  (prev 11th)
Perfect Game            18th  (prev 12th)
D1 Baseball              20th  (prev 12th)
USA Today                18th  (prev 12th)
Collegiate Baseball    22nd  (prev 13th)