Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this Bielema's Do or Die Season?

Started by HogimusMaximus, February 09, 2017, 12:58:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 11, 2017, 09:56:19 am
He won't be fired next year, no matter the record.. that said, less than 7 wins and the seat will be very hot and the "fire him" train will be rolling..

He'll get at least 2 years, .. 14 wins will get him a 3rd, but the luster will be gone and he'll be talking with his agent... hope none of that happens.. they had  a great chance for 9 last year and choked, should be able to get close this year with what is returning..

We will be lucky to win 6 next year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 14, 2017, 01:14:52 am
We will be lucky to win 6 next year.
offense will be good.  i have my doubts about the transition to the 3 - 4
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rzrbk4life

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 14, 2017, 01:54:54 am

I almost wonder if we don't do that well record wise this year if he's setting up the 3-4 to use as the scapegoat. I'm all for trying something different on the defensive side of the ball to make us better but totally switching schemes is a huge undertaking for the players/coaches to learn in one offseason.

I hope the 3-4 works and we have a much improved D this year but I have my doubts. Then if things go south CBB can say "well it takes a while to learn a new system, I feel one more offseason/year learning the 3-4 our guys should be ready to go in 2018" and that will make 2018 his make or break season
Let's call those hogs!!!!

goodguytex

Quote from: rzrbk4life on February 14, 2017, 04:47:28 am
I almost wonder if we don't do that well record wise this year if he's setting up the 3-4 to use as the scapegoat. I'm all for trying something different on the defensive side of the ball to make us better but totally switching schemes is a huge undertaking for the players/coaches to learn in one offseason.

I hope the 3-4 works and we have a much improved D this year but I have my doubts. Then if things go south CBB can say "well it takes a while to learn a new system, I feel one more offseason/year learning the 3-4 our guys should be ready to go in 2018" and that will make 2018 his make or break season
I always have kind of thought 2018 is the year when everything should fall into place for us. But for one thing..  Austin Allen is a senior this year.

Now if we keep Enos and he can pull some more magic with Cole Kelley or whoever Austin's heir apparent might be in 2018, we may be just fine. Just hard to know.

hogcard1964

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 14, 2017, 01:54:54 am

Why? It isn't like it's Chinese arithmetic, it's a defense almost every team in our division plays, you just stand up one of your DE's. We did that when Ramsey last year when he was in at DE. Speaking of, didn't you expect more production out of him, too small, not fast enough, or just lost in all of last year's mess?

sowmonella

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 14, 2017, 06:47:05 am
We'll somewhere in the area of 5-8 wins.
Way to get specific. I'll say 4-11 wins.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Piggfoot

February 14, 2017, 10:23:43 am #157 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:33:46 am by Piggfoot
In the recent past ie Nutt and Petrino years. Arkansas has had 9-11 wins when ARKANSAS produced a bumper crop of 4* players at the skilled offensive positions.
What do you want from a coach? They can't create athletes where there are none. Look at the Recruiting Forum. We beg kids from out of state to come to Arkasnsas. Maybe Fayetteville can't compete with the other schools when we whiff on recruits.
My son decided on Alabama because his best friends from Catholic were going there. I ask him why he did't go to Arkansas. He said Arkansas had good looking girls but Alabama had the Uof A outnumbered 4-1.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Wildhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 14, 2017, 10:23:43 am
In the recent past ie Nutt and Petrino years. Arkansas has had 9-11 wins when ARKANSAS produced a bumper crop of 4* players at the skilled offensive positions.
What do you want from a coach? They can't create athletes where there are none. Look at the Recruiting Forum. We beg kids from out of state to come to Arkasnsas. Maybe Fayetteville can't compete with the other schools when we whiff on recruits.
My son decided on Alabama because his best friends from Catholic were going there. I ask him why he did't go to Arkansas. He said Arkansas had good looking girls but Alabama had the Uof A outnumbered 4-1.

I guess other coaches could just do more with the talent they had.   I mean, we're like third in the SEC in combine invites.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 14, 2017, 06:47:05 am
We'll somewhere in the area of 5-8 wins.
Possibly. The problem there is every year CBB is here and has average seasons the chances of him significantly upgrading recruiting talent diminishes.

gchamblee

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 14, 2017, 01:26:12 pm
Possibly. The problem there is every year CBB is here and has average seasons the chances of him significantly upgrading recruiting talent diminishes.

It didn't diminish his ability to upgrade the OC and DC positions. There are fine coaches out there that buy in to the type of program CBB runs, and his philosophy. I can assure you that those coaches do not decide to come work for him based on his record the previous year.

Pig In The City

Hope he does well but I'm losing faith. The numbers do not generally lie. I like him but something is missing in his ability to make game day decisions. I think we have seen all that CBB has to offer.

gchamblee

Quote from: Pig In The City on February 14, 2017, 02:21:52 pm
Hope he does well but I'm losing faith. The numbers do not generally lie. I like him but something is missing in his ability to make game day decisions. I think we have seen all that CBB has to offer.

I can respect how you feel. The numbers do not lie, but if you throw out the first year (which everyone should) and start looking closer at the numbers, you can see the improvements. There were a couple of losses this last year that made his numbers look bad, but I put those losses more on the players than the coaches. I know it frustrates coach but he has to find a way to fix the between the ears problems, and history is on his side in that area. I haven't lost faith yet, but my faith is not infinite.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: sowmonella on February 14, 2017, 10:04:35 am
Way to get specific. I'll say 4-11 wins.

I'm going to say some where between 0-15.....
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

TNRazorbacker

We'd have to have an epic meltdown next year for that to happen. I foresee another 7 winish year which will be enough to buy him another year. I don't see us finishing any better than 5th in the west though.

I really lost a lot of faith seeing how we'd regressed in the trenches this past year. D line was as bad as its been in memory. O line was mediocre at best, and never really able to get a push when they needed to. All this in year 4 of a coach who is supposed to make his living in the trenches. Does not bode well. I foresee the 2018 season being his last.

I do think Bielema will leave us in much better shape than he found us though. His successor should not not come into an empty cupboard.

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 14, 2017, 09:45:06 pm

I'm saying we beat Florida A&M, so 1-15.

HamSammich

I see 7 wins on the nose next year. Which actually would make me happy. I think we get one big upset and lose one we shouldn't like against missou this year:

I think I will be one of the few people left around here that still lukewarmly support CBB 340 days from now.

The irony is the huge cycle I see coming. In three years we will create another Nutt because someone is going to come on and kill it with these last two recruiting classes.

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on February 15, 2017, 12:38:56 pm
I see 7 wins on the nose next year. Which actually would make me happy. I think we get one big upset and lose one we shouldn't like against missou this year:

I think I will be one of the few people left around here that still lukewarmly support CBB 340 days from now.

The irony is the huge cycle I see coming. In three years we will create another Nutt because someone is going to come on and kill it with these last two recruiting classes.

I agree.  Another 7-5 season sounds about right.

And yes, you'll be pretty lonely.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Quote from: HamSammich on February 15, 2017, 12:38:56 pm

No, most everyone here has "accepted" him.  He's doing what they want.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 15, 2017, 12:46:29 pm
No, most everyone here has "accepted" him.  He's doing what they want.

It is kind of awkward watching a grown man cry

PorkSoda

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 14, 2017, 09:45:06 pm
well if we using the term 'between' it would have to be between -1 and 16 to include all possible scenarios.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

randallpinkgohogs22

Hoooooold up.... Are you seriously saying we go 10-2??? Have you watched us play in say, oh the last 4 years... ?

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2017, 06:36:40 am
For me it is.  He has a roster full of his players and depth.  Contrary to what some might think, I do not drink the Kool-Aid and I am not a homer.  I am just about giving a coach a chance to get all of his ducks in a row.  This is the year he either gets there or gets gone.  Below is what I think could realistically happen this year but I would still be happy with 9 wins and a bowl game

Florida A&M* - W 1-0
TCU - W 2-0
Texas A&M* - W 3-0
New Mexico St W 4-0
@South Carolina W 5-0
@Alabama L 5-1
Auburn W 6-1
@Ole Miss W 7-1
C. Carolina W 8-1
@LSU L 8-2
Miss St W 9-2
Missouri W 10-2

gchamblee

Quote from: randallpinkgohogs22 on February 15, 2017, 01:42:58 pm
Hoooooold up.... Are you seriously saying we go 10-2??? Have you watched us play in say, oh the last 4 years... ?

Welcome to hogville new guy. It will be refreshing to have a new "realist" around to set all the sunshine pumpers straight with "just the facts".

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 15, 2017, 01:48:39 pm
Welcome to hogville new guy. It will be refreshing to have a new "realist" around to set all the sunshine pumpers straight with "just the facts".

You have a new friend!
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Piggfoot

Coach Bielema will stay at Arkansas until Arkansas fails him not the other way around.
He may become discouraged trying to build a nationally ranked  team in a state with poor talent. In most everything else Arkansas is ranked near the bottom. Removing one or two wealthy families and we would be at the bottom. No thanks to the majority of Arkansans including those here on Hogville. How many four stars has your family sent to Fayetteville? I certainly can't criticize the hogs low win record as my genetic pool has done nothing to enhance the athletic level in the state. I suspect most of the complainers on this site have done nothing except complain.

hoghearted

sounds like you're in love, Piggfoot. Question is, do you love Bielema or the Hogs? Your post makes excuses for BB, while running down the players, the team, and the whole dang state.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoghearted on February 16, 2017, 09:33:09 am
sounds like you're in love, Piggfoot. Question is, do you love Bielema or the Hogs? Your post makes excuses for BB, while running down the players, the team, and the whole dang state.

What was not true that Piggfoot said?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

gchamblee

Piggfoot

Yes I am in love with the Razorbacks good or bad. I am not running down the players nor am  I running down the state. Unlike others here I understand that our players are a step below the players from those teams of which we are too often compared by zealot Razorback fans. We have some good players but we don't have the depth that great teams have. I am not running down the whole state. I am not expecting our team to be on a level with those teams  whose recruiting situation is more favorable. People like you who expect otherwise are running down the State, players and our coaches. It's  tiresome. The constant complaining instead of supporting does not help our coaches convince players to come to our great state and play for fans who will support them good or bad.

island hog

Well said Pig... Beliema has to be given the chance to build the program and there will be mistakes and losses along the way. He didn't take over at Georgia or Florida or Auburn , places with built in advantages.  Those that want him gone at this point have personal issues with him for reasons they only know. By the way, I may not agree with 1964 but he makes me laugh with his Gifs.

hoghearted

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 16, 2017, 09:28:35 am
Coach Bielema will stay at Arkansas until Arkansas fails him not the other way around.
He may become discouraged trying to build a nationally ranked  team in a state with poor talent. In most everything else Arkansas is ranked near the bottom. Removing one or two wealthy families and we would be at the bottom. No thanks to the majority of Arkansans including those here on Hogville. How many four stars has your family sent to Fayetteville? I certainly can't criticize the hogs low win record as my genetic pool has done nothing to enhance the athletic level in the state. I suspect most of the complainers on this site have done nothing except complain.

Every thing I highlighted is meant as a slam to Arkansans and fans, and insinuates if Bielema fails, it will be their fault and not his. I understand the Hogs have disadvantages, but he should have known that coming in. It's his team, and the record belongs to him, good or bad.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't continually rail on him either. There's no point to that. I'm just hoping he succeeds, because if he does, that means the Hogs have too. But the constant bashing of others for their opinions gets old, and that goes both ways.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hogcard1964

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 16, 2017, 09:28:35 am

+1000

Agreed

He's doing everything that's asked of him.  The fans deserve this.

Stephen Greene

hogfanny

No, because Jeff Long does not demand winning athletic programs unfortunetly.

HogimusMaximus

hogpc

Quote from: grayhawg on February 09, 2017, 07:11:40 am
The Missouri and V Tech games did it for me, but of course my vote means nothing.

This - they were the final straws for me too!

Razorbackers

I just don't see how you don't look at the 2017 roster and schedule and see 7 wins as the absolute bottom line. I can see 9 wins without a major upset.

If we come out and are 3-2 heading into Bama (which means we lost to TCU and A&M) we could still finish the season with 7 wins without beating a ranked opponent (unless MSU or MU turn everything around).

If we just lost to A&M (who we, again, on paper, should be able to beat but we never do), Bama, Aub (who should be pretty good this year) and LSU, we're 8-4.

Which, 8-4 isn't setting the world on fire, but a bowl win would make us 9-4, and I'm not going to complain about 9-4. But that's just me.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 21, 2017, 08:32:35 am
I just don't see how you don't look at the 2017 roster and schedule and see 7 wins as the absolute bottom line. I can see 9 wins without a major upset.

If we come out and are 3-2 heading into Bama (which means we lost to TCU and A&M) we could still finish the season with 7 wins without beating a ranked opponent (unless MSU or MU turn everything around).

If we just lost to A&M (who we, again, on paper, should be able to beat but we never do), Bama, Aub (who should be pretty good this year) and LSU, we're 8-4.

Which, 8-4 isn't setting the world on fire, but a bowl win would make us 9-4, and I'm not going to complain about 9-4. But that's just me.

There's certain teams that odds are, we're just not going to beat these days.  A & M, Bama and Mizzou are a few.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 21, 2017, 08:40:23 am
There's certain teams that odds are, we're just not going to beat these days.  A & M, Bama and Mizzou are a few.

That second half collapse against Missouri is easily Bret's worst loss at Arkansas. And I'm not being hyperbolic. That is his worst loss here.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 21, 2017, 09:13:09 am
That second half collapse against Missouri is easily Bret's worst loss at Arkansas. And I'm not being hyperbolic. That is his worst loss here.

Yes,

Aside from the multiple severe as& kickings, yes that is correct.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 21, 2017, 09:27:04 am
Yes,

Aside from the multiple severe as& kickings, yes that is correct.

No, it's the worst. They were an abysmal football team. A butt kicking is one thing. But Miz was awful. Awful. Worse than Toledo.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 21, 2017, 09:28:07 am
No, it's the worst. They were an abysmal football team. A butt kicking is one thing. But Miz was awful. Awful. Worse than Toledo.

I agree.  We should have beat them by 30+.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 21, 2017, 10:00:17 am
I agree.  We should have beat them by 30+.

I mean for real. It's the worst loss because it's the game that kept us from taking another step forward. Had we won that game, even with the loss to VT, you could say that we matched last year's win/loss total despite losing so many key seniors, etc etc. Granted, there would still be people complaining, but I think the feel of the fanbase wouldn't have been nearly as bad without that Miz loss.

Because man, they were bad at sportsball this year, and they beat us in football and basketball lol.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 21, 2017, 10:06:51 am
I mean for real. It's the worst loss because it's the game that kept us from taking another step forward. Had we won that game, even with the loss to VT, you could say that we matched last year's win/loss total despite losing so many key seniors, etc etc. Granted, there would still be people complaining, but I think the feel of the fanbase wouldn't have been nearly as bad without that Miz loss.

Because man, they were bad at sportsball this year, and they beat us in football and basketball lol.

Interesting, but after that Mizzou loss, I also had a really bad feeling at the half of the Va Tech game.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 21, 2017, 10:26:20 am
Interesting, but after that Mizzou loss, I also had a really bad feeling at the half of the Va Tech game.

Oh, same here haha. Had the 2nd half against miz not happened, and you don't change anything about the VaTech game, I still think most folks on here are less apocalyptic. jmo.

Pigdiana Jones

It won't matter as Long and his "integrity" will prove to be full of crap and not do the right thing.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

gchamblee

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on February 21, 2017, 12:50:19 pm
It won't matter as Long and his "integrity" will prove to be full of crap and not do the right thing.

When has Long done the wrong thing?