Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this Bielema's Do or Die Season?

Started by HogimusMaximus, February 09, 2017, 12:58:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 09, 2017, 09:15:11 pm

Lol my quote of you was you saying should be to someone saying we should go a different direction. Comprehend much?  The fact you would quote someone saying we should go a different direction and say should be a do or die season but turn to jump ball and say mike should NOT be in any do or die situations is just lunacy

I'm not desperate for anything. Just calling out the crazies here, there are many.
You would know... ;). But the point I was making is that it would be if Jeff didn't give him a pass on his first year or two. It would also be a do or die season for Mike if Jeff didn't also give him a pass. Comprehend much?

Jeff Long gave both coaches a pass on their first year or two. Not hard for me to understand. Especially since I'm so positive when it comes to hiring and firing the head coach.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

logic

Quote from: Supermark101 on February 09, 2017, 03:32:19 am
15 million reason why it will not be, and if I remember right, 11 million the year after. He isn't going anywhere. He'd have to go sub 6-6 for his seat to even start to.warm up.
It would be less to keep him on salary.  That is demote him to assistant coach and hire another head coach.

Hogwild

February 10, 2017, 08:38:22 am #102 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:59:24 am by Hogwild
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 10, 2017, 06:18:20 am
We've beaten LSWho on the road numerous times but if you really think we have a chance at beating Alabama I would take my chances in Fayetteville.

We have three wins in Baton Rouge since 1901, I think that we will have to pull a major upset if we expect to win against LSU, Bama, or Auburn this coming season.  If we can win the two games against the East opponents, that would leave three games against A&M, Ole Miss, & State (only one of which is in Arkansas) to determine how we fare in conference play.  I don't think that 6 wins is realistic, but if we are able to break even in SEC play and sweep OOC, 8-4 record and a trip to the Music City Bowl, he would be safe.

ricepig

Quote from: logic on February 10, 2017, 08:20:54 am
It would be less to keep him on salary.  That is demote him to assistant coach and hire another head coach.

Math isn't a strong suit for you, is it? His contract is thru 2020, he's owed $17.4M if you keep him on staff until the contract expires. You can buy him out today for $15.4M, quit over thinking it.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 09:41:45 am
Math isn't a strong suit for you, is it? His contract is thru 2020, he's owed $17.4M if you keep him on staff until the contract expires. You can buy him out today for $15.4M, quit over thinking it.

But his name is logic.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 09:41:45 am

But wasn't it logical?  Lol

redleg

If his 2017 squad finishes 7-6 or worse, then we may see one of two things...
1. Bielema is fired after the season, or
2. Bielema is put on notice, publicly, that he had better win BIG in 2018 or he's gone.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: wachhog on February 09, 2017, 08:47:11 am
I have never understood why a coach should be judged on ANYTHING but his conference record. The rent-a-wins should be considered simply practice sessions.

Yeah, I sorta' agree depending on who the OOC wins are against.  When the coach that shall remain nameless was here for 10-years, his overall SEC record was one tick over .500 +/- for all that time and some people/fans were looking at his 8-game winning seasons and calling him a great coach.  He was an average coach and we're wallowing in mediocrity right now.   

Year 5.  Gotta' pick up.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 11, 2017, 09:07:59 am
Yeah, I sorta' agree depending on who the OOC wins are against.  When the coach that shall remain nameless was here for 10-years, his overall SEC record was one tick over .500 +/- for all that time and some people/fans were looking at his 8-game winning seasons and calling him a great coach.  He was an average coach and we're wallowing in mediocrity right now.   

Year 5.  Gotta' pick up.

Since our SWC days, when have we been a top SEC team - CONSISTENTLY?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 11, 2017, 09:07:59 am

Year 5.  Gotta' pick up.

So, a .521 conference winning record isn't considered very good? Should we fire a coach for that?

WilsonHog

I think it depends on three things: (1) his record; (2) the ability to generate money for his buyout; and (3) the employment status of Mike Anderson.

On (3), Long isn't going to replace the coaches of our two major revenue sports in the same year.

jgphillips3

The buyout insures that, short of a losing record, this is not his do or die year.  However, if we flounder, get blown out and struggle to reach 7 wins, next year will be.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2017, 09:21:31 am
So, a .521 conference winning record isn't considered very good? Should we fire a coach for that?

Just saying it's average and I'm looking forward to better things in year five.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 11, 2017, 09:22:24 am
I think it depends on three things: (1) his record; (2) the ability to generate money for his buyout; and (3) the employment status of Mike Anderson.

On (3), Long isn't going to replace the coaches of our two major revenue sports in the same year.

Well, according to what I read on another board, somebody's, friend's friend, told Long he had $15M for the buyout. Thus that was the reason for the tweet telling us all would be better!

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 11, 2017, 09:27:49 am
Just saying it's average and I'm looking forward to better things in year five.

Well, that's DVH's conference record at Arkansas, and I doubt anyone is looking to fire him.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2017, 09:29:10 am
Well, that's DVH's conference record at Arkansas, and I doubt anyone is looking to fire him.

My bad. I thought we were talking about the ball that bounces funny.....

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 11, 2017, 09:31:13 am
My bad. I thought we were talking about the ball that bounces funny.....

I was just trying to put things into perspective. I've stated it numerous times, I think he needs 16 regular season wins over the next two years to get year 3 and 4, hopefully we do.

Dominicanhog

He won't be fired next year, no matter the record.. that said, less than 7 wins and the seat will be very hot and the "fire him" train will be rolling..

He'll get at least 2 years, .. 14 wins will get him a 3rd, but the luster will be gone and he'll be talking with his agent... hope none of that happens.. they had  a great chance for 9 last year and choked, should be able to get close this year with what is returning..

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2017, 09:33:49 am
I was just trying to put things into perspective. I've stated it numerous times, I think he needs 16 regular season wins over the next two years to get year 3 and 4, hopefully we do.

What was petrinos conference winning percentage?

HiggiePiggy

This season can only put beliema on the hot seat for next year unless he some how went 0-8 in the SEC again which I can't see happening. If he goes 6-6 then I think he gets on a hot seat. He goes 7-5 or better then he won't be on the hot seat next year.

I think this year will be his best year here. So I don't see him being on a hot seat anytime soon.   As long as the defense is a little better than last year and they figure out how to get in the top 60 in offense in the second half we are looking at a 8 or 9 regular season win.  So I see 8-5 to 10-3 next year including the bowl game. 

So I will predict 9-4 next year for the season. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

LZH

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 11, 2017, 10:24:47 amSo I will predict 9-4 next year for the season. 

That is exactly what I said 12 months ago and we see how that worked out. I don't have a clue how to feel about this team right now. I can't help but think we are going to have some major league growing pains with this defensive transition.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: LZH on February 11, 2017, 10:46:18 am
That is exactly what I said 12 months ago and we see how that worked out. I don't have a clue how to feel about this team right now. I can't help but think we are going to have some major league growing pains with this defensive transition.

I can't see the defense being as bad as last year. I mean it could be, but that is really hard to duplicate.  I would expect it if it was still the same defensive coordinator, but with a change you really can't expect that we will have the same results. With the offense we have a ground game that should be one of the tops in the sec. We have one of the top qbs returning in the sec and we have Enos for a 3rd year. I really can not see the offense being 123rd again this next year in the second half of games.  I fully expect it to get into at least the 70s which would have given us a 9 win season this year if they just did that even with our terrible defense. 

I do know though that when the tough gets going the team and the coach do fold.  I am hoping that beliema can see that in last years games and correct that a little. 

Really the big game to determine us winning 9 games in my opinion will be the TCU game at home. Win that and we have 4 out of conference wins at least. Ole miss is very questionable now and Mississippi state is also questionable. That's 2 more wins. then Missouri at home and South Carolina is questionable. That would be the 8 games in the regular season.  I don't see us beating Alabama and LSU on the road and I can't say we will beat Texas A&M because we still haven't under beliema. Auburn is always a question mark. Do we show up at home against them or do we figure out a way to lose again. 

HamSammich

Never thought of number 3 and you are absolutely correct.

LZH

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 11, 2017, 10:57:46 am
I can't see the defense being as bad as last year. I mean it could be, but that is really hard to duplicate.  I would expect it if it was still the same defensive coordinator, but with a change you really can't expect that we will have the same results. With the offense we have a ground game that should be one of the tops in the sec. We have one of the top qbs returning in the sec and we have Enos for a 3rd year. I really can not see the offense being 123rd again this next year in the second half of games.  I fully expect it to get into at least the 70s which would have given us a 9 win season this year if they just did that even with our terrible defense. 

I do know though that when the tough gets going the team and the coach do fold.  I am hoping that beliema can see that in last years games and correct that a little. 

Really the big game to determine us winning 9 games in my opinion will be the TCU game at home. Win that and we have 4 out of conference wins at least. Ole miss is very questionable now and Mississippi state is also questionable. That's 2 more wins. then Missouri at home and South Carolina is questionable. That would be the 8 games in the regular season.  I don't see us beating Alabama and LSU on the road and I can't say we will beat Texas A&M because we still haven't under beliema. Auburn is always a question mark. Do we show up at home against them or do we figure out a way to lose again. 

I don't think it will get any worse either, but it's hard to imagine it being very good. Even though we have some good players, I just think it's going to take time to instill the schemes and recruit players specifically for that front seven. I am not very familiar with a 3-4, but if it were not difficult to run well then I think everybody would be doing it.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 11, 2017, 11:28:17 am
I don't think it will get any worse either, but it's hard to imagine it being very good. Even though we have some good players, I just think it's going to take time to instill the schemes and recruit players specifically for that front seven. I am not very familiar with a 3-4, but if it were not difficult to run well then I think everybody would be doing it.

I think that's the reason we are going to it, everyone is doing it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 11, 2017, 10:57:46 am

We are replacing a lot on the d line. Will those stepping up be any good? If they aren't it will be another bad season on D. CPR isn't in the best position for success. Also, MS St will be pretty good next season. It's a mistake to mark that as a W. From a talent perspective we are about even with them.

aloha_kid

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 09, 2017, 12:58:33 am
If he doesn't get it done this year should we go a different direction.  I think worse than 7-5 or worse and we need a new coach.

So 8-4 is getting it done? 

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 11, 2017, 11:31:38 am
We are replacing a lot on the d line. Will those stepping up be any good? If they aren't it will be another bad season on D. CPR isn't in the best position for success. Also, MS St will be pretty good next season. It's a mistake to mark that as a W. From a talent perspective we are about even with them.

Well, we return some good d-linemen in Agim, Capps, and Jackson. Marshall and Guidry appear to be suited more to 3-4 DE's than 4-3 DE's. I think the biggest question mark will be OLB, will Taylor be as good as they say, will the redshirt freshman LB's step up? Greenlaw will be good, will he be in a position to excel? Good thing we open with Florida...........A&M, time to adjust before TCU.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2017, 11:31:01 am
I think that's the reason we are going to it, everyone is doing it.

Great, we're Johnny-come-lately's.  8)

There are a lot more teams running it than I first thought, though.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 11, 2017, 11:51:37 am
Great, we're Johnny-come-lately's.  8)

There are a lot more teams running it than I first thought, though.

Well, we just got cleats last year, you can't expect us to be on the cutting-edge with these new fangled exotic type defenses, can you?

GuvHog

Quote from: go hogues on February 09, 2017, 01:10:28 pm
I just don't see any area where we get markedly better and you couple that with a much tougher schedule than last year (Bama, LSU, USCE on road) and I think that saying we will struggle to stay around .500 or surpass this season is not that outlandish.

Seriously?? You need to do some re-evaluating. This years schedule is actually more favorable than last years' schedule. Let's break it down:

The OOC schedule:
There is no way that the Hogs should lose to TCU so they should go 4-0 here.

South Carolina:
Even though this game is in Columbia it's far less difficult than playing Florida

Texas A&M;
This one will be tough but the Hogs are due and it's winnable.

Alabama - Loss

Auburn: This one is in Fayetteville and the Hogs will be wanting revenge so it's definitely winnable.

Ole Miss: This one is in Oxford but the Rebel football program is in shambles and their HC could be fired before the season starts so this is a game the Hogs should win.

LSU: Loss

Miss. State: There is no way the Bulldogs should beat the Hogs inside the state of Arkansas.

Missouri: Another revenge game at home so the Hogs should win.

There is no way this years Hog team should finish worse than 8-4 (4-4) and 6-2 in conference play is very possible.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

depressed_fan

I don't know what "get it done" means but the board of trustees isn't going to agree to fire him unless he goes about 3-9, maybe 4-8. 5-7 or better, with a competitive team in most games will keep him around for 2018. 

depressed_fan

MIkes going to win 20+ games this season. He's not going anywhere.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: depressed_fan on February 11, 2017, 02:00:32 pm
MIkes going to win 20+ games this season. He's not going anywhere.

Unfortunately you might be right. He should be fired if he doesn't make the NCAA tournament.

Snouty

I have no inside information.  However, it is my belief that Bret Bielema will not be fired after the 2017 season regardless of his record, whether he goes 8-4 or 4-8.  It amuses me how some posters state there is no way Arkansas will lose to one team or another.  I would have thought there was no way we would get blown out by Auburn or beat by Missouri this past year, but it happened.     

JOKERHOG

Quote from: logic on February 10, 2017, 08:20:54 am

This is awesome, +1 to you for thinking of it.  Jeff might be able to save himself with that one!
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

The #1 reason that Arkansas might have a decent 2017 season is totally on Bret Bielema and how hard he chooses to work this year.  Truth:  Who does anyone know that would pay Bret what we pay him to coach their football team, who?  I believe his best personal revenue stream is here at Arkansas.  That said, though he has the full support of Long, the decision will be taken from Long if Bret doesn't have a reasonable won/loss record sooner or later.

Bret knows that if he will work hard in 2017, he'll get a nice raise, extension and new buyout cause Long doesn't want to be wrong nor does he want to try and find a new coach.  Any spark from BB would allow Long to re-up BB for some stupid, insane contract.  So, in my opinion, BB will set himselfr to the task and have a respectable season.

Based on previous showings, we are not likely to come out of the tunnel ripping and ready to play our best football until about game 5 or 6.  Theory is that we just haven't had the time to put the team together.

We should beat Fla A&M, could easily lose to TCU if not PREPARED, likely to lose to A&M though the OPEN date might help, should beat NM St., then lose to S. Carolina, BAMA and Aub.  OM away is not a sure thing but I think we can win that one.  We should beat Coastal Car, then lose to LSU and depending on how bad BB has let us slide by the last 2 games, we could lose both of them but I do expect to win the last 2.

Summing up:  We have 3 we should win, then 2 conference games we should for sure win in MO and MSU., then TCU & OM which I think we will split putting us at 6 solid wins and then 6 losses.

But if BB has the hammer down for 2017, we could win those above 6 plus either of OM or TCU and maybe, just maybe SC for 8 wins. 

BB knows 8 regular season wins will get him a dream contract extension and he can float for another 4 or so years.  That makes 2017 a year worth working hard for.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogwild on February 10, 2017, 08:38:22 am
We have three wins in Baton Rouge since 1901,
We beat them in Baton Rouge in 1993, 2007 and 2015. I'll take my chances beating them in LSU rather than beating Alabama in Alabama any day of the week. Especially if you look at the current state of both programs. Not to mention we played them in Shreveport instead of Baton Rouge from 1913 to 1956. We started playing them in Baton Rouge on a regular basis in 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E2%80%93LSU_football_rivalry

DeltaBoy

Quote from: #1Fan on February 09, 2017, 12:19:07 pm
Who cares about wins and losses.  If the team GPA is over 3.2, he'll get another contract extension.

Yep he not going anywhere for sure.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 01:33:31 pm
We beat them in Baton Rouge in 1993, 2007 and 2015. I'll take my chances beating them in LSU rather than beating Alabama in Alabama any day of the week. Especially if you look at the current state of both programs. Not to mention we played them in Shreveport instead of Baton Rouge from 1913 to 1956. We started playing them in Baton Rouge on a regular basis in 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E2%80%93LSU_football_rivalry
lol, our chances of beating bama anywhere are nil, so we'd have a better chance of beating LSU on the moon than beating bama at home.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 13, 2017, 02:16:59 pm
lol, our chances of beating bama anywhere are nil, so we'd have a better chance of beating LSU on the moon than beating bama at home.
Yep, no doubt.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 12247 on February 12, 2017, 08:57:21 pm
Based on previous showings, we are not likely to come out of the tunnel ripping and ready to play our best football until about game 5 or 6.  Theory is that we just haven't had the time to put the team together.

We should beat Fla A&M, could easily lose to TCU if not PREPARED, likely to lose to A&M though the OPEN date might help, should beat NM St., then lose to S. Carolina, BAMA and Aub.  OM away is not a sure thing but I think we can win that one.  We should beat Coastal Car, then lose to LSU and depending on how bad BB has let us slide by the last 2 games, we could lose both of them but I do expect to win the last 2.

Summing up:  We have 3 we should win, then 2 conference games we should for sure win in MO and MSU., then TCU & OM which I think we will split putting us at 6 solid wins and then 6 losses.

But if BB has the hammer down for 2017, we could win those above 6 plus either of OM or TCU and maybe, just maybe SC for 8 wins. 

BB knows 8 regular season wins will get him a dream contract extension and he can float for another 4 or so years.  That makes 2017 a year worth working hard for.

The wins aren't really what matters.  He only has to essentially break even, make a bad bowl and graduate a nice percentage of players.

You have to give him credit, he's doing all that's asked of him.  I think he'll actually get an extension soon.

I want to believe Bret Bielema will manage, lead, direct, teach and mentally demand this upcoming season to a higher level than any of the previous 4 he has been here.  BB had a lot of ability when he arrived here, he has learned a lot since being here and I think he will determine it is in his best interest to showdog what he has and turn this team into a 9 game winner, including a mid-tier Bowl win.  The Administration, especially Long will be planting rose gardens all around Campus and shouting to the football Gods, we done got us a football coach, just like we knew he would be.  Sunshine Rick will look plump negative up side all the glad handing, contract increasing and declaring genius levels.  Why, they will even be many who declares this staff as the best staff ever at Arkansas and maybe even ever anywhere football has or ever will be played.  We all gonna get to see our ship come in.  All days thereforward will be with our backs to the wind, eating Rainbow Stew with a silver spoon, no make that a solid gold spoon and no more cloudy days.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 12247 on February 13, 2017, 08:00:29 pm
I want to believe Bret Bielema will manage, lead, direct, teach and mentally demand this upcoming season to a higher level than any of the previous 4 he has been here.  BB had a lot of ability when he arrived here, he has learned a lot since being here and I think he will determine it is in his best interest to showdog what he has and turn this team into a 9 game winner, including a mid-tier Bowl win.  The Administration, especially Long will be planting rose gardens all around Campus and shouting to the football Gods, we done got us a football coach, just like we knew he would be.  Sunshine Rick will look plump negative up side all the glad handing, contract increasing and declaring genius levels.  Why, they will even be many who declares this staff as the best staff ever at Arkansas and maybe even ever anywhere football has or ever will be played.  We all gonna get to see our ship come in.  All days thereforward will be with our backs to the wind, eating Rainbow Stew with a silver spoon, no make that a solid gold spoon and no more cloudy days.

It'll be essentially the same as the last 3. He'll lose two or three he shouldn't. Get blown off the field in a few. Go to another awful bowl game. Finish 9th or 10th in the SEC in recruiting...

Lather, rinse, repeat.

goodguytex

Quote from: Hogwild on February 10, 2017, 08:38:22 am
We have three wins in Baton Rouge since 1901, I think that we will have to pull a major upset if we expect to win against LSU, Bama, or Auburn this coming season.  If we can win the two games against the East opponents, that would leave three games against A&M, Ole Miss, & State (only one of which is in Arkansas) to determine how we fare in conference play.  I don't think that 6 wins is realistic, but if we are able to break even in SEC play and sweep OOC, 8-4 record and a trip to the Music City Bowl, he would be safe.
LSU and auburn games next season will both be big wildcards for us. All depends to me on our defense. We got gashed badly by both teams running game last year.

Not to mention both teams we played had extra motivation. Gussie's players were fighting for their HC job. Same goes for Orgeron at LSU. But we do get Auburn at home. And they are breaking in a new OC, most likely a new QB. LSU is replacing a lot of their coaching staff. So I like our chances in both games.

goodguytex

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 13, 2017, 08:15:02 pm
It'll be essentially the same as the last 3. He'll lose two or three he shouldn't. Get blown off the field in a few. Go to another awful bowl game. Finish 9th or 10th in the SEC in recruiting...

Lather, rinse, repeat.
and you don't know that to be true.

Quickdraw

He is not on the hot seat with the powers that be. His buy out is to big. He will win some and lose some just like he has done since he has been here. If they do fire him the next coach will not be any better. Look at the school history. Bobby is an exception. He screwed himself on his debacle.

Horse racer

His debacle ? Damn I thought it was a Harley ?

Tarheelhawg

He is not on the hot seat if he is building an 8 - 10 win season program which seems worth waiting for : stability for a change.  Look at Steve Spurrier's record at South Carolina in his 5 th year; it would have been a bad idea to fire him.  Bielema is respected by ESPN and well liked by parents of recruits.  Patience is a virture for a reason.  Rome was not built in a day.