Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Matt Jones was the QB in 06, does Arkansas beat LSU and Florida?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 08, 2017, 04:50:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

As dynamic as matt jones was, having DMAC, Felix, and Hillis in the backfield, and a decent set of WRs, would Arkansas possibly make it to the National Title game?

The_Iceman

King Kong

Razorbackers

As much fun as MJ was in his time at QB, he should have been a WR the entire time.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 08, 2017, 04:59:03 pm
As much fun as MJ was in his time at QB, he should have been a WR the entire time.

Yes - can I have MJ at WR and Mallett or Tyler Wilson at QB in '06? I'll take that.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Surely we would have beaten them. Lack of a QB held us back for Nutts entire tenure. That's just too many playmakers not to win those games.

hawganatic

What if we put Shawn Andrews, Darren McFadden, Brandon Burlesworth, Ryan Mallett, Steve Atwater, Jason Peters, Marcus Monk, Trey Flowers, Lance Alworth, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, James Rouse, Quinn Grovey, Jamaal Anderson, Sebastian Tretola, Hunter Henry, Ahmad Carroll, Ken Hamlin, Henry Ford, Barry Foster, Billy Ray Smith, Dan Hampton, Bruce James, and Joe Ferguson all on the same team...Would we be able to stay within ten points of Alabama???

Oh, and Alex Tejada...

hawgdavis

Quote from: hawganatic on February 08, 2017, 05:44:14 pm
What if we put Shawn Andrews, Darren McFadden, Brandon Burlesworth, Ryan Mallett, Steve Atwater, Jason Peters, Marcus Monk, Trey Flowers, Lance Alworth, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, James Rouse, Quinn Grovey, Jamaal Anderson, Sebastian Tretola, Hunter Henry, Ahmad Carroll, Ken Hamlin, Henry Ford, Barry Foster, Billy Ray Smith, Dan Hampton, Bruce James, and Joe Ferguson all on the same team...Would we be able to stay within ten points of Alabama???

Oh, and Alex Tejada...

That might do it

onebadrubi

bennyl08

Oh, and Alex Tejada...

Freshman Tejada, or junior Tejada?

Freshman Tejada was on point. Something changed for him after that season though.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HiggiePiggy

Oh, and Alex Tejada...

As long as we didn't have to rely on field goals I am for this!!!!
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HardingHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on February 08, 2017, 05:15:42 pm
Surely we would have beaten them. Lack of a QB held us back for Nutts entire tenure. That's just too many playmakers not to win those games.

But Matt Jones was a QB during Nutt's tenure...  ???

bvillepig

If Mr Nutt would have left things alone we would have won it anyway.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 08, 2017, 04:50:57 pm
As dynamic as matt jones was, having DMAC, Felix, and Hillis in the backfield, and a decent set of WRs, would Arkansas possibly make it to the National Title game?

Yes.  Or, better question:

What would Oklahoma have done with Matt Jones?  Probably two national championships and at least one Heisman trophy...

jneal56

Oh, and Alex Tejada...

Tejada??? Really?? How bout Steve Little or Zack(h) Hocker?
"At least we are moral"

CrookedSquealliry

TebowHater

Shoot, if someone just catches a punt we beat Florida in 06...so MJ? Definitely. Imagine trying to stop that option.

thebignasty

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 08, 2017, 06:29:21 pm
Freshman Tejada, or junior Tejada?

Freshman Tejada was on point. Something changed for him after that season though.

iirc he dislocated a kneecap playing soccer in the offseason.  His confidence clearly never came back.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Sed76

If anyone other than Casey Dick was taking the snaps against LSU we win going away. He was terrible that day. If only Nutt would have swallowed his pride and let Mustain play.

hawganatic

Quote from: Sed76 on February 08, 2017, 10:36:21 pm
If anyone other than Casey Dick was taking the snaps against LSU we win going away. He was terrible that day. If only Nutt would have swallowed his pride and let Mustain play.

Mustain's last couple of games he didn't play much better than Dick did in the LSU game.  Think he had 3 interceptions against Louisiana Monroe, or some other small school in that area, and then came out throwing interceptions against South Carolina.

It's hard to say what would have happened if he had put Mustain in against LSU.  Dick definitely wasn't playing good, but also didn't make any bad mistakes that would have given LSU the game.  Our offense was clicking in the 4th quarter with 2 touchdowns and we outgained the LSU offense by 32 yards for the game.

The bigger issue wasn't who played QB in that game.  The bigger issue was creating a situation where we could question who should have been playing.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 08, 2017, 07:49:57 pm
Yes.  Or, better question:

What would Oklahoma have done with Matt Jones?  Probably two national championships and at least one Heisman trophy...

Geeeeez. Wrong again cowboy. Unless he was a WR or TE, he wouldn't have seen the field.

hawganatic

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 09, 2017, 07:57:10 am

Geeeeez. Wrong again cowboy. Unless he was a WR or TE, he wouldn't have seen the field.

Oklahoma wasn't even recruiting him as a QB.  He committed to them as a WR.  The only reason he flipped to AR is because Nutt promised him a shot at QB. 

Even if they had given him a shot at QB, I seriously doubt he would have beat out Jason White for the job...

lumphog

Cinco de Hogo

jneal56

Quote from: hawganatic on February 09, 2017, 07:44:31 am
Mustain's last couple of games he didn't play much better than Dick did in the LSU game.  Think he had 3 interceptions against Louisiana Monroe, or some other small school in that area, and then came out throwing interceptions against South Carolina.

It's hard to say what would have happened if he had put Mustain in against LSU.  Dick definitely wasn't playing good, but also didn't make any bad mistakes that would have given LSU the game.  Our offense was clicking in the 4th quarter with 2 touchdowns and we outgained the LSU offense by 32 yards for the game.

The bigger issue wasn't who played QB in that game.  The bigger issue was creating a situation where we could question who should have been playing.

Yes thank you for speaking the truth. It amazes me to this day how people still believe MM was the reason why we did so well that season. Those three RB's we had and the O-Line were the work horses. McFadden was dinged up going into LSU and then got slowed a bit more with Cowboy-collar tackle if memory serves me correctly. MM was a good solid QB for that system but no more or less than CD was. It can easily be argued that DMac was our best QB on the roster that year.
"At least we are moral"

hawganatic

Quote from: jneal56 on February 09, 2017, 09:35:25 am
McFadden was dinged up going into LSU and then got slowed a bit more with Cowboy-collar tackle if memory serves me correctly.

The cowboy-collar was against Wisconsin in the bowl game.  Only way the defender could have caught him on that run.

McFadden had close to 200 yards against LSU including this play, so not sure how dinged up he was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOefOOWtis

Hoggish1

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 09, 2017, 07:57:10 am

You obviously don't watch a lot of football.

Hog Fan...DOH!

You know why my Matt Jones was loved?  Because he played freaking QB at Arkansas.  The idea that he SHOULD have played WR is just asinine. 

The guy had his faults.  But for crying out loud...

hawganatic

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 09, 2017, 10:08:45 am
You obviously don't watch a lot of football.

So you think Jones would have beat out Jason White, a Heisman winner and runner up a second year?

jgphillips3

Considering how much of the success of that team was the introduction and evolution of the wildcat, I'm not sure how much more MJ could have added but he was yet another freak athlete so it couldn't have hurt.  Like someone else said, if we would have had an experienced Ryan Mallett, we could easily have beaten Florida and LSU.

Biggus Piggus

Conceivable.
[CENSORED]!

HiggiePiggy

I believe Nutt had about 2 mins or so and down a TD instead of running it with our backs I remember him tossing the ball 4 times and turned it over on downs.

This was our last drive.  2 mins left in the game with the 3 rbs we had already going for 298 yards rushing in the game.  This is what we did on our LAST DRIVE.

1st and 10 at ARK 27
(1:52 - 4th) Casey Dick pass incomplete to Darren McFadden.
2nd and 10 at ARK 27
(1:46 - 4th) Casey Dick pass incomplete to Marcus Monk, broken up by Jonathan Zenon.
3rd and 10 at ARK 27
(1:37 - 4th) Casey Dick pass incomplete to Marcus Monk, broken up by Laron Landry.
4th and 10 at ARK 27
(1:31 - 4th) Casey Dick pass incomplete to Chris Houston.

So all I can say about this is that Houston Nutt was a damn idiot. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=263280008

ARKANSAS@HOGS

Oh, and Alex Tejada...

I would have put in All-American Kicker: Kendall Trainor   :razorback:

jneal56

Quote from: hawganatic on February 09, 2017, 10:01:12 am
The cowboy-collar was against Wisconsin in the bowl game.  Only way the defender could have caught him on that run.

McFadden had close to 200 yards against LSU including this play, so not sure how dinged up he was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOefOOWtis

I recall the one against Wisconsin too but I remember he was bothered by an injury going into the LSU game. He wasn't 100% nor was he 100% in the SECCG vs Florida. I remember that we were all hoping he would be fully recovered by the bowl game and he was looking as if he were until that Cowboy-collar tackle vs Wisconsin.

There was a similar one against LSU that really hampered him.
"At least we are moral"

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawganatic on February 09, 2017, 11:03:18 am
So you think Jones would have beat out Jason White, a Heisman winner and runner up a second year?

Yes I do.

OK has since gone to a spread offense with a running QB.  Jones might has hastened that move.  Regardless, imagine MJ on the edge with White throwing to him..,

Either way, MJ was a difference maker and regardless of where he played would have been more disciplined and a much better player wherever had he gone to OK.

MJ ran Nuts, to the players detriment.

With discipline we might still be seeing MJ in the NFL...

cosmodrum

Oh, and Alex Tejada...

You're a Vin Ascolese short
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

This just points out 30 years of frustration that the Hogs NEVER HAVE ALL THE PIECES AT ONCE.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 08, 2017, 04:59:03 pm
No way, no how. Anybody on the roster besides Matt taking the snaps and we would've been terrible. Matts athletic ability alone saved Nutt for many years. Nutt and staff couldn't coach qb's. To put a pocket passer back there with less athleticism would have been beyond dumb. Nutt tried it several times and it never worked.

greasy_corner

Yes. 

And if MJ was the QB of the (F)aggies during '12 and '13 we'd have beaten them too!

LZH

Quote from: jneal56 on February 09, 2017, 05:12:34 pm
I recall the one against Wisconsin too but I remember he was bothered by an injury going into the LSU game. He wasn't 100% nor was he 100% in the SECCG vs Florida. I remember that we were all hoping he would be fully recovered by the bowl game and he was looking as if he were until that Cowboy-collar tackle vs Wisconsin.

There was a similar one against LSU that really hampered him.

He was horse-collared earlier that year which started the injury problem. I can't remember who we were playing, but I can still see it happening down the right sideline and thinking "he's going to get hurt like that someday."

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Sed76 on February 08, 2017, 10:36:21 pm

Maybe. Maybe not. CD was remembered as not finishing the game well...but most people don't remember we started out hot. We scored on our first possession. On our second, Dick hit Damian Williams perfectly, but DW dropped it. Would have been a 40 yard gain...and we get some points out of the drive. Our mo' at that point would have been huuuge.

This was also the game where LSU returned the kickoff 90+ yards immediately after DMac's 80 yard TD run. That was the ender for us. We had more problems that day than just Casey Dick. In this game, I'd rather have improved one of our positions on defense over quarterback.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

LZH

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 10, 2017, 11:40:11 pm
Maybe. Maybe not. CD was remembered as not finishing the game well...but most people don't remember we started out hot. We scored on our first possession. On our second, Dick hit Damian Williams perfectly, but DW dropped it. Would have been a 40 yard gain...and we get some points out of the drive. Our mo' at that point would have been huuuge.

This was also the game where LSU returned the kickoff 90+ yards immediately after DMac's 80 yard TD run. That was the ender for us. We had more problems that day than just Casey Dick. In this game, I'd rather have improved one of our positions on defense over quarterback.

Trindon Holliday. That name will haunt me evermore....

HiggiePiggy

Casey Dick was 3 for 17 that game for 29 yards 1 TD and 1 int.   McFadden actually tossed more yards that game than dick did. McFadden was 2 for 2 for 33 yards.

Nutt being stupid on the drive where we had 1.52 mins to play and he threw the ball 4 times in a row to turn it over on downs.  Dick was crap that game and McFadden and Jones both had 182 yards 2 TDs(McFadden) and 137 yards 1 TD (Jones). Nutt being Nutt cost us that game. Had he stayed out of the way and let Gus run the offense we probably would have won that game.

EastexHawg

For someone who should have supposedly never played QB isn't it hard to explain how Matt produced more yards and TDs than any player in our 121 year history of playing football?

The problem wasn't that Matt wasn't a QB.  The problem was that he had a moron "coaching" him.  A nitwit who thought it was a good idea to have him split time with Zak Clark, TJack (who "pro" or not couldn't hit his butt with both hands at Arkansas), and Ryan Freaking Sorahan...

Design an offense that maximized Matt's abilities?  Nutt?  LMAO. 

Athog

Definitely not!! Maybe with Ryan Mallett.

Supermark101

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 12, 2017, 07:24:02 pm
For someone who should have supposedly never played QB isn't it hard to explain how Matt produced more yards and TDs than any player in our 121 year history of playing football?

???

Clint and Mallet say hi.

shown006

D-Mc WAS Matt Jones running the "WildHog".  Matt's Senior year, didn't even make a bowl.  The sad thing is D-Mc and Matt won 1 whole postseason game between them, the '03 Independence Bowl against Mizzou.  D-Mc, Felix, Hillis all went post-season winless.
WPS!

hawganatic

You keep touting this but Jones is also one of the few players who played as a true freshman and stayed for four years. 

Jones = 46 games - 8,392 total yards

Ryan Mallett = 26 games - 7,390 total yards.  With 20 more games played Jones only had 1,002 yards more of total offense than Mallett.
Tyler Wilson = 37 games - 7,721 total yards.  With 9 more games Jones only had 671 yards more in total offense that Wilson.

For single season records Jones doesn't rank higher that 7th in any category, and doesn't make it in the top ten for any single game records.  If you want to talk about his running skills, McFadden blows him out of the water in every category, in less games played.  If you want to talk about his passing skill, there are several people that blow him out of the water in every category, in less games played.

I think we can all agree Nutt was an idiot, but at the same time, if we had a competent coach that knew how to design an offense and develop a quarterback, Tavaris Jackson probably would have been our starter.  Nutt's inability to put a cohesive offense together is probably the main reason Jones played QB.

Not saying any of this to run Jones down.  Very fun and exciting to watch play and had a great four years here, and definitely one of the all time greats.  Just tired of seeing this line of thought that he was the best ever based off of skewed statistics, and that he would have been the greatest to ever play the game if it weren't for coaching.

Tejano Jawg

The problem wasn't that Matt wasn't a QB.  The problem was that he had a moron "coaching" him.  A nitwit who thought it was a good idea to have him split time with Zak Clark, TJack (who "pro" or not couldn't hit his butt with both hands at Arkansas), and Ryan Freaking Sorahan...

Anytime one of those other guys started a game, I always thought of them as merely the 'warmup' act. They'd be in a couple series, leave the stage, then the main guy would come in. The only good thing about it—it kinda built up anticipation.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork