John Scott, Jr new DL coach

Started by bighog2255, February 07, 2017, 02:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Hope he coaches as tough as his look.

The_Iceman

Hogeration

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Hogberry Snortcake

Seems really solid.  Not the big name folks had hoped for, I suppose.  NFL experience and 3-4 knowledge with time spent all across the South (incl. Texas).   

The_Boot_stops_here

resume isn't all that but hey, Bielema has made some solid hires over time so let's see what happens

hogwild6700

Based on his resume-he's a perfect fit here.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hogs run wild on February 07, 2017, 02:27:16 pm
ok...

Just curious... Who did you want? The guy has extensive knowledge of managing a 3-4 defensive line which was vital in his selection.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

WriterWrong

Hog10S

I think he could be fine.  I just was never under the impression that TT ever played defense and that is where Scott last coached in college, just a couple of years ago.  When they couldn't stop us from running the first time we played them.

hogblitz

NFL Defensive Line "Assistant".   Hope it does not work out like our current NFL Offensive Line "Assistant"! 

On the bright side, there is NO WAY our defense could be any worse next season as a whole!

Oklahawg

The resume smacks of someone who will connect with players on the recruiting trail.

I would bet Paul Rhoads had a heavy role in this decision.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

FraggleHog

Quote from: WriterWrong on February 07, 2017, 02:31:22 pm
Kurt Anderson 2.0.

Give the dude more than 1 year... He recruited OLinemen based on what he wants. Geez
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: FraggleHog on February 07, 2017, 02:29:11 pm
Just curious... Who did you want? The guy has extensive knowledge of managing a 3-4 defensive line which was vital in his selection.

someone with a strong recruiting resume maybe.  I think Bielema puts more emphasis on coaching ability than recruiting. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 07, 2017, 02:33:04 pm
someone with a strong recruiting resume maybe.  I think Bielema puts more emphasis on coaching ability than recruiting. 

I actually think this guy will become a fine recruiter.

TechHawg

He "resigned" at Texas Tech. Did he resign the same way Robb Smith resigned? I know everyone will spin this to make it positive, but I don't see how this can be viewed as a great hire. 

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 07, 2017, 02:34:41 pm
I actually think this guy will become a fine recruiter.

We shall see.  Certainly nothing to indicate that at this point.  But maybe he just needs this opportunity....

Wildhog

Wanted a proven recruiter.  Didn't get one.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

You just never know who CBB will hire. haha. Here's to hoping.

Hogfan46

February 07, 2017, 02:37:10 pm #22 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:10:45 pm by Hogfan46
All the pieces seem to be there for him. Played the position, extensive 3-4 knowledge, coached players that were successful and made the NFL, coached in a P5 conference and the NFL, and  recruited in Texas.
He's young so he should be an energetic and aggressive recruiter.
Time to welcome him to the family, support him and wish him great success.

TechHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 02:36:17 pm
Wanted a proven recruiter.  Didn't get one.
Didn't get a proven recruiter or a proven coach. O for 2.

The_Iceman

Kurt Anderson 2.0.

Quote from: hogblitz on February 07, 2017, 02:32:02 pm
NFL Defensive Line "Assistant".   Hope it does not work out like our current NFL Offensive Line "Assistant"! 

On the bright side, there is NO WAY our defense could be any worse next season as a whole!

Kurt Anderson did a solid job turning 3 new starters... one being a former DL, one being a walkon, and one never having any previous playing time....into a decent Oline group by the end of the season.

I'm not sure why so many fans hate on him. Look at what he had to work with and the final result and improvement.

The_Boot_stops_here

I don't know if this guys will work out or not but, frankly, Segrest probably had a better resume than this guy

Trey1981

a0ashle

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 07, 2017, 02:33:04 pm

Not true if you you look at his early coaching hires, it's changed recently.  Maybe he is realizing that a coach who can schmooze talk a HS kid, isn't enough to get talent to come here, and is trying to emphasize coaching.

Big Daddy

Earth Hog Fan

Scott spent two years with the Jets and previously coached at Buffalo and Texas Tech. The hire comes as Arkansas moves to a 3-4 defense.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/feb/07/arkansas-hires-jets-scott-defensive-line-coach/
I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

King Kong

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1juN_cqbUA"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AugustaHog

Geez we tuned this dude up for 450+ yds in 2014.  Not getting warm fuzzies about this. 

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: a0ashle on February 07, 2017, 02:40:10 pm
Not true if you you look at his early coaching hires, it's changed recently.  Maybe he is realizing that a coach who can schmooze talk a HS kid, isn't enough to get talent to come here, and is trying to emphasize coaching.

Well, you literally just disagreed and agreed with me all in the first sentence alone.  While I agree that recruiting can't be the only focus, I do believe in a healthy balance between coaching and recruiting and I'm not sure that we have it...

Atlhogfan1

Brings great 3-4 experience.

Familiar with some places we recruit like Texas and Ga.

Another assistant hire with zero SEC experience.  No idea from a collegiate perspective what he will be up against 8 weeks out of the season.  Learning curve on what level of players he needs to put on the field to have success at this level of college football.  Has never recruited on a level on which we try to compete. 

No issue with the hire.  Just expect him to have some adjusting to do.  As far as teaching technique and responsibility for dlinemen in the 3-4, I trust he knows what he is doing. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2017, 02:44:53 pm
Brings great 3-4 experience.

Familiar with some places we recruit like Texas and Ga.

Another assistant hire with zero SEC experience.  No idea from a collegiate perspective what he will be up against 8 weeks out of the season.  Learning curve on what level of players he needs to put on the field to have success at this level of college football.  Has never recruited on a level on which we try to compete. 

No issue with the hire.  Just expect him to have some adjusting to do.  As far as teaching technique and responsibility for dlinemen in the 3-4, I trust he knows what he is doing. 

saying all that, why would you have "no issue" with the hire?  He may be great but there is certainly reason to not be overly excited...

hogcard1964

Here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing anything about him!!!!

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

a0ashle

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 07, 2017, 02:44:26 pm
Well, you literally just disagreed and agreed with me all in the first sentence alone.  While I agree that recruiting can't be the only focus, I do believe in a healthy balance between coaching and recruiting and I'm not sure that we have it...

I merely pointed out that he had recruiters early, and it's not provided results, maybe that explains the shift away from known recruiting commodities.

Razorbackers

Kurt Anderson 2.0.

Our offensive line had a DT, a GT, and a walkon starting.

We had the leading rusher and passer in the conference.

Just saying.

rljjr

This is perfect. If he had been a guy that Hogville loved and slobbered over then he probably would have tanked. This way you guys get to hate on him early and can be impressed (please, please, please) with the results from live games.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 07, 2017, 02:46:05 pm
saying all that, why would you have "no issue" with the hire?  He may be great but there is certainly reason to not be overly excited...

I'm not excited. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogfan46

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:47:37 pm
Here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing anything about him!!!!

Here's to supporting our new DL coach until he shows us a reason not to.

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2017, 02:49:35 pm
I'm not excited. 

There's no reason to be excited about anything related to Hog football.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Once again, here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing a damn thing about him.

HardingHog

Interesting and like usual, no one we would've guessed we'd hire him. He's spent time in the Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas as a college assistant. Nothing says that he's a home run hire or anything, but I guess we shall see. Hopefully his personality, experience in several big recruiting areas along with his younger age and ethnicity will prove him to be a valuable asset in recruiting

Good luck, Coach Scott because most everyone here probably doesn't like you already

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogfan46 on February 07, 2017, 02:50:03 pm
Here's to supporting our new DL coach until he shows us a reason not to.

Can't we use a wait and see approach?  Maybe?

Hogfan46

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 02:50:22 pm

There's no reason to be excited about anything you post related to Hog football.

Hayden1865

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:50:40 pm
Once again, here's to everyone claiming it's a great hire and not knowing a damn thing about him.

And the other half of Hogville saying he is an awful hire without knowing a damn thing about him.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

rljjr

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 02:51:35 pm
Can't we use a wait and see approach?  Maybe?

I think that's what he's doing, as opposed to you using the same meme in two separate threads.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 02:50:22 pm

:-\