Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paul Ramirez

Started by Rock City Razorback, February 04, 2017, 11:20:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock City Razorback

Listed as a Sr. and backup at LT by SEC Country's projected depth chart. Did he not redshirt last year? If not, why? What a waste! Already hate the way coaches wasted a year with Hammonds and Gunter for little to no return.

factchecker

I think he had 2 to play 2.  I'm not sure though.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

I'm not sure then. 

The participation chart is showing that he played in 3 games (TXST, TAMU, and ALCN).

Isn't there a rule about maintaining a redshirt if you play below a certain %.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jgphillips3

Quote from: factchecker on February 04, 2017, 12:00:05 pm
I'm not sure then. 

The participation chart is showing that he played in 3 games (TXST, TAMU, and ALCN).

You can play in thee games and still get a medical redshirt.  There have been discussions about proposed rule changes to allow playing in a percentage and still being eligible regardless of medical need but I don't think that has gone anywhere yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/new-redshirt-proposal-would-allow-athletes-to-play-four-games-regardless-of-injury/amp/?client=safari

southeasthog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 04, 2017, 11:20:50 am
Listed as a Sr. and backup at LT by SEC Country's projected depth chart. Did he not redshirt last year? If not, why? What a waste! Already hate the way coaches wasted a year with Hammonds and Gunter for little to no return.
SEC Country's projected depth chart. Yea that's something I'm gonna freak about and start bashing coaches before spring practice even starts.

southeasthog

Quote from: factchecker on February 04, 2017, 12:00:05 pm
I'm not sure then. 

As it stands and has always been if you play one snap you can not redshirt. The exception is a documented injury and then you can only have played a certain amount.

Hugo Bezdek

Ramirez' senior year of HS was 2012-13, so it looks like he redshirted the 2013 season, played in JC 2014 and 2015, and had two years to play two when he signed with Arkansas. The only exception to that would be if he didn't enroll anywhere after HS until 2014, but that doesn't seem likely so he's probably a Senior for 2017.

It's probably worth noting that we have no idea if he got hurt at some point this year. It could very easily be that he got banged up and didn't play, but since he only had two years anyway, he's a Senior.

a0ashle

Not worth getting worked up, you guys see stars and highlights from lower levels, coach sees practice and study every day. The point being, we don't even begin to have the full grasp at all the factors that go into who plays and who redshirts.

jgphillips3

If it passes, a redshirt could play in four games at any time in the season and still be a redshirt.  In theory, you could practice a kid through game 8, getting him ready and play him in the last four games when they are ready and they would still be a freshman the next year eligibility wise.  Also, for guys you think are ready but aren't, they can play 4 games and not have to come down with mono.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 04, 2017, 12:31:55 pm
Where did I bash the coaches?

Maybe here?  Already hate the way coaches wasted a year with Hammonds and Gunter for little to no return.

Oklahawg

It was my understanding that Ramirez was hurt and couldn't play, maybe even surgery? Can't remember. If he graduates he can get the year back with a medical redshirt year. Have to appeal after this year.

I don't remember him playing those early games. Not sure if the participation chart is "official" or not.

I sure wouldn't read SEC Country if worried about accuracy.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2017, 12:47:51 pm
It was my understanding that Ramirez was hurt and couldn't play, maybe even surgery? Can't remember. If he graduates he can get the year back with a medical redshirt year. Have to appeal after this year.

I don't remember him playing those early games. Not sure if the participation chart is "official" or not.

Injured his knee in August.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/20/arkansas-walking-wounded-get-break-saturday/

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 04, 2017, 01:01:35 pm
How is that bashing though? It's simply disagreeing with a decision.

It's not bashing. Don't sweat it.  Believe it or not, it's ok to disagree with the staff...

Hoggish1

Quote from: southeasthog on February 04, 2017, 12:26:25 pm
SEC Country's projected depth chart. Yea that's something I'm gonna freak about and start bashing coaches before spring practice even starts.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 04, 2017, 01:01:35 pm
How is that bashing though? It's simply disagreeing with a decision.

Maybe means possibly or perhaps.  I didn't say you were bashing but it is possible some perceived it as such.

FANONTHEHILL

Not hurt, had two to play two when he arrived.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

longpig

Quote from: southeasthog on February 04, 2017, 12:26:25 pm

//thread//
Don't be scared, be smart.

FANONTHEHILL

Also worth noting, Malone had not red shirted at the JUCO level, so OL that red shirted in 2016 were Deion Malone, Jake Heinrich, Tyler Hall, & Dylan Hays.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 04, 2017, 02:38:55 pm
Also worth noting, Malone had not red shirted at the JUCO level, so OL that red shirted in 2016 were Deion Malone, Jake Heinrich, Tyler Hall, & Dylan Hays.

Note sure if my total count is correct, but with WO's, Blue Shirts, Red Shirts and all other total players on the roster I see 20 Offensive Linemen. That's the first time in a long time that I can remember just having that many bodies in the O-Line group. Please correct me if you are aware of a different count, Fan.
Go Hogs Go!

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

factchecker

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 04, 2017, 02:22:35 pm
Not hurt, had two to play two when he arrived.

I thought I had heard that but I couldn't find it documented anywhere.  Thanks for the info.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2017, 02:45:43 pm
Note sure if my total count is correct, but with WO's, Blue Shirts, Red Shirts and all other total players on the roster I see 20 Offensive Linemen. That's the first time in a long time that I can remember just having that many bodies in the O-Line group. Please correct me if you are aware of a different count, Fan.
I think the number may be 19, but I may be wrong.  Did you count Jake Hall?  He was the a tackle last year and played TE in the 3 TE sets last year. He has moved back to the DL.  He was a little light for OL, but has great hands and feet and was a great DE in a 3-4 set in high school.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 04, 2017, 04:06:07 pm
I think the number may be 19, but I may be wrong.  Did you count Jake Hall?  He was the a tackle last year and played TE in the 3 TE sets last year. He has moved back to the DL.  He was a little light for OL, but has great hands and feet and was a great DE in a 3-4 set in high school.

Nope, I've got 20 without Jake Hall, unless someone has departed or intends to depart that you know about and I don't.

1.   Dalton Wagner
2.   Kirby Adcock
3.   Shane Clenin
4.   Ty Clary
5.   Audry Horn
6.   Tyler Hall
7.   Dylan Hays
8.   Jake Heinrich
9.   Colton Jackson
10. Jalen Merrick
11. Cooper Sone
12. Hjalte Froholdt
13. Johnny Gibson
14. Jackson Hannah
15. Zach Rogers
16. Brian Wallace
17. Deion Malone
18. Frank Ragnow
19. Paul Ramirez
20. Jake Raulerson
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2017, 04:49:37 pm
Nope, I've got 20 without Jake Hall, unless someone has departed or intends to depart that you know about and I don't.

1.   Dalton Wagner
2.   Kirby Adcock
3.   Shane Clenin
4.   Ty Clary
5.   Audry Horn
6.   Tyler Hall
7.   Dylan Hays
8.   Jake Heinrich
9.   Colton Jackson
10. Jalen Merrick
11. Cooper Sone
12. Hjalte Froholdt
13. Johnny Gibson
14. Jackson Hannah
15. Zach Rogers
16. Brian Wallace
17. Deion Malone
18. Frank Ragnow
19. Paul Ramirez
20. Jake Raulerson

Ok, in what may be the most embarrassing moment in Hogville history, when I counted,I overlooked one player. #11 on your list, Cooper Sone.  I'm guess I'm not going to win that "Father of the Year" award! LOL

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 04, 2017, 08:01:28 pm
Ok, in what may be the most embarrassing moment in Hogville history, when I counted,I overlooked one player. #11 on your list, Cooper Sone.  I'm guess I'm not going to win that "Father of the Year" award! LOL

That's pretty funny, right there. Ha! It'll be HV's little secret.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hawgwash

But you do win the Most Honest Hogvillian of All Time Award.  And there have been many, many posts that were far more embarrassing, it's just that the poster never realized their post was embarrassing.

MuskogeeHogFan

Ha, ha, ha, ha...we won't tell.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

That's sad. Turn in your Dad card.  ;)

The bad news is that memory glitch gets worse as you age.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

blu

Are Merrick and Malone legitimately in the mix for a starting spot next fall?
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

FANONTHEHILL

Colton Jackson has really progressed.  They also like Wallace at RT. Going into spring, it looks like Jackson at LT and everyone else in the same spots.  I know everyone wants guys to sign and immediately be on the field, but we need to remember that that Skipper, Kirkland, and Ragnow played as freshman out of necessity, there wasn't much of a development system in place.  You can see the foundation being set.  We will see if these new guys can contribute, but if you're patient and look 3 years down the line, Clennin, Wagner, Adcock, and Clary are a great class that will have lots of time to develop together.

blu

Thanks, I appreciate your insight.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

East TN HAWG

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 05, 2017, 07:27:52 am
Colton Jackson has really progressed.  They also like Wallace at RT. Going into spring, it looks like Jackson at LT and everyone else in the same spots.  I know everyone wants guys to sign and immediately be on the field, but we need to remember that that Skipper, Kirkland, and Ragnow played as freshman out of necessity, there wasn't much of a development system in place.  You can see the foundation being set.  We will see if these new guys can contribute, but if you're patient and look 3 years down the line, Clennin, Wagner, Adcock, and Clary are a great class that will have lots of time to develop together.

FOTH, what is the mentality of these kids.  In today's society, everyone wants instant gradification.  They want it now.  I see it on here that everyone wants to fire the head coach no matter what sport it is because they are not living up the perceived expectations of the fan.  Fans want to win immediately. 

A lot of players choose schools where they can play immediately.  Are these kids mature enough to realize it takes time to develop?  Seems like they would be unhappy developing?

Huds_HawgTide

You can only have 85 days oyster spots...so you can't redshirt everyone...judo guys aren't always up for the challenge in the SEC burn it so u can reload quicker instead of keeping someone that obviously won't contribute much
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

hawgwash

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on February 05, 2017, 12:00:30 pm
You can only have 85 days oyster spots...so you can't redshirt everyone...judo guys aren't always up for the challenge in the SEC burn it so u can reload quicker instead of keeping someone that obviously won't contribute much
Autocorrect is not always your friend.   :)

jgphillips3

Do we have a lot of Judo guys fighting for Oysters in the SEC? 😊

MuskogeeHogFan

You have an 85 scholarship limit. I believe the actual roster is limited to 105, but I could be wrong.
Go Hogs Go!

Styflin

Hopefully we get 5 out there and get them established. Last off season was a train wreck.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Styflin on February 05, 2017, 12:19:25 pm
Hopefully we get 5 out there and get them established. Last off season was a train wreck.

Yes, the body count is irrelevant if they can't play.  Hopefully they can play at an SEC level.  Will be nice to see what they look like this season with Anderson having another year with them,
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ckhawgu

If I may ask and not be to far out of line, any indication of how Jake Raulerson is doing as far as strength gains in workouts this off season? I do give the kid some credit as he came in and learned the offense quickly; however, it became quickly evident while watching him block that his strength/leverage wasn't quite where he needed it to be when facing these SEC behemoth DL. Since he has a lot of experience, my hope is he gets to where he needs to be strength/leverage wise this off season for spring & fall camps so he can be a solid contributor for the forthcoming season in a backup role, or whatever role, the coaches put him in this coming year.

FANONTHEHILL

February 05, 2017, 02:32:51 pm #39 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:31:32 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 05, 2017, 11:43:39 am
FOTH, what is the mentality of these kids.  In today's society, everyone wants instant gradification.  They want it now.  I see it on here that everyone wants to fire the head coach no matter what sport it is because they are not living up the perceived expectations of the fan.  Fans want to win immediately. 

A lot of players choose schools where they can play immediately.  Are these kids mature enough to realize it takes time to develop?  Seems like they would be unhappy developing?

I think a lot of people underestimate the level of maturity of these kids in this regard.  Most of these guys have been the stud on every team they've been on since they were 8 years old.  It takes one day in full pads for them to realize that they're not quite as great and as dominant as they thought they were. The players understand that it's going to take time to develop.  There are some exceptions of course, but not many.  This is also one of the reasons that Coach Bielema recruits a certain type of person to campus.  They have to buy in to the family concept and be a contributor and not a disgruntled distraction.  No matter how heralded they are and how many stars they have, they have to buy in.

East TN HAWG

hawginbigd1

February 06, 2017, 11:23:37 pm #41 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:44:51 pm by hawginbigd1
Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2017, 12:47:51 pm

My eyes tell me he played, I am 99.99% sure I saw him in mop up for Tx state and Alcorn. I went back real quick to look and he played against Alcorn unless we have another #76 P. Ramirez, I didn't see him against Tx state.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 06, 2017, 11:23:37 pm
My eyes tell me he played, I am 99.99% sure I saw him in mop up for Tx state and Alcorn. I went back real quick to look and he played against Alcorn unless we have another #76 P. Ramirez, I didn't see him against Tx state.

The NCAA shows that Ramirez played in 4 games in 2016.
Go Hogs Go!

Snizzzo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 07, 2017, 06:39:07 am
The NCAA shows that Ramirez played in 4 games in 2016.

That would make sense.  The Oline was struggling from the start and they were trying desperately to find cohesion. 

DeltaBoy

It will all work out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacon_Bitz

texas tush hog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 04, 2017, 11:20:50 am

As of now, Ramirez is an up coming senior. He is eligible to apply for a medical hardship after this season because of injuries. Sec country, as usual has it totally wrong. Will be eligible in 2017 for sure.

VirginiaHog

I saw a tweet that he made the Dean's list. Congrats big man.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

great find by Kurt Anderson

:rolleyes:
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

bennyl08

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 10, 2017, 11:20:55 pm
great find by Kurt Anderson

:rolleyes:

What is medically wrong with your eyes? Hopefully, once you fix them so they no longer roll uncontrollably, you'll watch the tape on Ramirez. It is a great tape to behold. I think you will find that Ramirez was indeed a great pickup and will be a formidable LT next season now that he isn't injured.

If you think otherwise, please give a post detailing why you would think otherwise.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse