Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Coach Bielema and his borderline neurotic year"

Started by NuttinItUp, January 31, 2017, 10:38:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

Devoid of value-added content. Regurgitation of the best and worst points on Hogville from last month.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

ChitownHawg

So this David Rice thinks he has the answer - recruit and develop better. Seriously? He spent time away from his family to tell us that?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

tophawg19

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2017, 12:43:14 pm
Devoid of value-added content. Regurgitation of the best and worst points on Hogville from last month.
Pretty much . but it was meant as a negative article
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogcard1964

People/writers are still trying to gain some all mighty knowledge of why we're bad to mediocre.   Figure it out.  It starts at the top.  This shouldn't be made out to be rocket science.

hobhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 31, 2017, 02:46:38 pm
People/writers are still trying to gain some all mighty knowledge of why we're bad to mediocre.   Figure it out.  It starts at the top.  This shouldn't be made out to be rocket science.

Didn't have to read it to know it was an up and down year. I lived it.

It will be better next year, just watch. If not you can say "I was right" all you want. Which I am sure you will do regardless.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hobhog on January 31, 2017, 02:50:20 pm

It will be better next year, just watch. If not you can say "I was right" all you want. Which I am sure you will do regardless.

There's a faction that says that after every bad to mediocre season and then the following year we're bad to mediocre again.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

artvandalay

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 31, 2017, 10:38:07 am
Tusk to Tail season recap article for the football team:
http://talkbusiness.net/2017/01/coach-beilema-and-his-borderline-neurotic-year/
"The loss, on the other hand, was a literal step backward"

Why do people say something is literally something figurative? 

I was literally pulling my hair out. He was literally between a rock and a hard place.

Just say that the loss was a step backward and leave it at that.

BrianG

I wonder if this guy has ever been to Memphis.  If so I bet he wasn't on I-40 between Memphis and Forest City. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 31, 2017, 02:55:41 pm
There's a faction that says that after every bad to mediocre season and then the following year we're bad to mediocre again.
Well I suppose if one wants to hold out hope and be optimistic about next year then let 'em. Beats the hell out of   giving up before spring practice (much let fall practice) even begins.

Biggus Piggus

This story was an example of what green writers do: Write the headline thinking that it will write the story for them. This guy probably thought up his clever headline before writing a word. It never works.
[CENSORED]!

Razorbackers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 31, 2017, 12:43:14 pm

I mean for real. Once again I'm left wondering....if these guys that write articles like this are so smart, how could they not see a 7-5 season coming? Because a lot of us here did. And not because CBB sucks or something. Because we lost so many guys off one side of the ball. Replacing them was going to be tough sledding if everything went right, and nothing really did this year for us, outside of the TCU game.

I mean jeez. There were some tough losses this year for sure, and 2016 in general was a s***show, but what was really expected? We came dangerously close to not going bowling. We also came 4 combined quarters away from a 9 win season. I don't understand how everyone can be so convinced that everything is terrible.

nchogg

They don't look good but I will continue to watch all the games because I love Arkansas football. I will not make excuses anymore. Just hope for the best.

The largest problem with this 2016 team was how they lost.  They stunk in losing.  No need to go into every detail, you already know them and choose to agree or disagree depending on where you stand.

To me, we looked like a team un-coached quite often.  No mental toughness, sometimes un-conditioned, sometimes not knowing what to do. 

My personal belief is that we have underperformed every year since Petrino's last season with this last season being the worst of the bunch.  I am not so much down on the won/loss record this past season though I believe we should have won 2 more than we did.  My personal biggest complaint was the horrible way we lost.  I see no excuses.

Razorbackers

Quote from: 12247 on February 01, 2017, 09:07:33 am
The largest problem with this 2016 team was how they lost.  They stunk in losing.  No need to go into every detail, you already know them and choose to agree or disagree depending on where you stand.

To me, we looked like a team un-coached quite often.  No mental toughness, sometimes un-conditioned, sometimes not knowing what to do. 

My personal belief is that we have underperformed every year since Petrino's last season with this last season being the worst of the bunch.  I am not so much down on the won/loss record this past season though I believe we should have won 2 more than we did.  My personal biggest complaint was the horrible way we lost.  I see no excuses.

That's a pretty strange opinion honestly. 2015 you could argue was a team that should have won more games, but injuries put them behind the 8-ball. Why would you think 2016 would be a year where they should have won more than 8 games?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: 12247 on February 01, 2017, 09:07:33 am
My personal belief is that we have underperformed every year since Petrino's last season with this last season being the worst of the bunch.

You really don't have a prayer of defending this belief. But I agree completely that Arkansas underperformed in 2016.
[CENSORED]!

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 01, 2017, 08:19:01 am
I mean for real. Once again I'm left wondering....if these guys that write articles like this are so smart, how could they not see a 7-5 season coming? Because a lot of us here did. And not because CBB sucks or something. Because we lost so many guys off one side of the ball. Replacing them was going to be tough sledding if everything went right, and nothing really did this year for us, outside of the TCU game.

I mean jeez. There were some tough losses this year for sure, and 2016 in general was a s***show, but what was really expected? We came dangerously close to not going bowling. We also came 4 combined quarters away from a 9 win season. I don't understand how everyone can be so convinced that everything is terrible.
So because we had so few returning on the offensive side of the ball is the reason we lost games? You did watch the team this past year correct?

O-line was a mess but the real disaster was the defense...where we had (I believe) 9 returning starters.

Regardless of all that...if what I read on here is true....that this staff recruits better than we ever have since being in the SEC, why is depth/returning players a problem? Supposedly we are deeper than ever before...extremely low miss rate on recruits compared to Nutt and Petrino. The excuses are almost over with.

To your last sentence...truth be told through the sunshine and rainbows, regardless of who is to blame, the reason some think everything is so terrible is because for the most part Razorback football has been 5 straight years of sucking balls.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 01, 2017, 09:40:06 am
So because we had so few returning on the offensive side of the ball is the reason we lost games? You did watch the team this past year correct?

O-line was a mess but the real disaster was the defense...where we had (I believe) 9 returning starters.

Regardless of all that...if what I read on here is true....that this staff recruits better than we ever have since being in the SEC, why is depth/returning players a problem? Supposedly we are deeper than ever before...extremely low miss rate on recruits compared to Nutt and Petrino. The excuses are almost over with.

To your last sentence...truth be told through the sunshine and rainbows, regardless of who is to blame, the reason some think everything is so terrible is because for the most part Razorback football has been 5 straight years of sucking balls.

I believe the problem with the defense just left town. CBB's comment about not making any changes from year to year was telling. How the heck does a DC think they can roll out the same defense with no changes and think that SEC OCs would not pick it part?

I do believe CBB has to own this to a small degree as he is the HC. But for now, I am throwing 95% of this on the guy in Minnesota. CPR should do better. Considering the lackluster pass rush the back side showed improvements. We have more pick 6s, INTs, and deflections than we have had in a few years.

I said after the Spring we would win 9 if the Oline matured, but would review my prediction in August. I stayed on 9, yet was a bit shaky. If we didn't melt the last two games 9 would have been correct. Those things happen. One year under The Great Petrino we almost beat Bama. Then the next year we get smoked. As Nolan use to say it is a hard living relying upon 18 years old to make the correct decision when under stress.

So we can moan through the Spring and Summer or we can yell our Hawg famous Battlecry - Wait till next year!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

NuttinItUp

Guys, you can click on the author name and see a list of the previous articles they have written to get a flavor of where the author is coming from.

It is just a bunch of guys that travel to and tailgate at every game. (a large portion of what they write is about the food at their tailgate party for instance)  I don't think they are professional sports writers or anything.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 01, 2017, 07:12:20 am
This story was an example of what green writers do: Write the headline thinking that it will write the story for them. This guy probably thought up his clever headline before writing a word. It never works.
Do not be so petty Mr. Former Journalist. You sound like a democrat on election night. This author is just some joe-schmoe who likes to tailgate and write about it. It was an interesting article to me. I am glad I read it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 01, 2017, 10:51:29 am
Do not be so petty Mr. Former Journalist. You sound like a democrat on election night. This author is just some joe-schmoe who likes to tailgate and write about it. It was an interesting article to me. I am glad I read it.

He should stick to writing about tailgate parties.

code red

Quote from: hobhog on January 31, 2017, 02:50:20 pm
Didn't have to read it to know it was an up and down year. I lived it.

I can see no reason to say this at this point.  Defense has to improve....while replacing some key pieces. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LZH

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 01, 2017, 07:12:20 am

Good point. I know a few guys that come up with cute titles to songs before they ever sit down and start to write. Just worried about the title so someone will click on it, even though it's a completely crap song.

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 01, 2017, 09:40:06 am

Our offense overachieved this year imo. The defense was unacceptable and that's why Smith is gone, Segrest should be next, but idk if/when that happens.

But as I've said before on here, we lost a big, big chunk of our offense to the NFL in 2015. In 2014, we lost a big, big chunk of our defense to the NFL.

That's not happening on either side of the ball this year, and it hopefully won't happen again like that for a while. I said that if we won 8 games in 2016, I'd be happy, and we had multiple chances to do that, and couldn't get it done. It sucked for sure.

In regards to building depth...it takes longer than 3 or 4 years to build depth? I mean that should be kind of obvious. Those first few years, you have a lot of freshmen or juco transfers making big plays with the upper classmen. When year 4 started, they were all gone. Heck, when year 3 started, a lot of them were already gone. It takes 5-6 years to legitimately build the kind of depth we're looking for. I mean, we started a grad transfer and a DT transition on the offensive line this year, before a walk-on took over. And we still had the leading rusher in the SEC.

There's no excuses to be made, just facts. We lost a lot of starts from the offense in 2015, and it didn't see as much of a decline as the defense did from 14-15. That's because Enos is better than Smith, and Smith is gone. 2017, on paper, should be a pretty good season. I'm optimistic about 9 wins being a real possibility, not even counting the bowl game. Of course, we have to go do it haha.