Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the GOAT of Arkansas Football, player wise?

Started by Ben, January 30, 2017, 09:34:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Who would you say is the greatest razorback of all time? I know Alworth and Hampton are Hall of Famers, but if we are talking about what was done as a Razorback, I have to say Darren McFadden
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

IronMountainHog

Billy Ray Smith Jr. or Loyd Phillips caused offensive coordinators to game plan around them. Both constantly faced double and sometimes triple teams and still dominated. Just my opinion.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Bacons Rebellion

McFadden.

Jim Benton a distant second --- a 1930s just can't challenge a 2000's back like Darren.

Clyde Scott third, mainly because he was a player at a crucial time in Razorback history, right after WWII when we could have easily become Kansas.

Billy Ray Smith, Jr. fourth -- there's a built in bias against defensive players for GOAT awards, you can give McFadden or Benton or Scott the ball, but the other teams could run away from Billy Ray.

Loyd Phillips and Bud Brooks. Tie for fifth. Still more bias against interior linemen.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: hogz11 on January 30, 2017, 10:57:40 pm
It's Darren McFadden and it's probably not close.

He was an Arkansas kid, embraced being a Hog, and had fans holding their breath every time he touched the ball. Should've won at least one Heisman and maybe two if the award wasn't so controlled by media.

He owns just about every Arkansas rushing record and would've owned every SEC rushing record if he came back for his senior year.

Run DMC baby......

Pretty much sums it up

LRHawg

He was an Arkansas kid, embraced being a Hog, and had fans holding their breath every time he touched the ball. Should've won at least one Heisman and maybe two if the award wasn't so controlled by media.

He owns just about every Arkansas rushing record and would've owned every SEC rushing record if he came back for his senior year.

Run DMC baby......

Agree, and if he hadn't have gone to a bad Raiders franchise, would likely have been v
Very successful in the NFL. I think he's still got some "wood" left to bring though, next year.

Ethan2010

Clearly vin ascolese. Not only is he the best player ever to call the hogs, he is arguably the best player to ever grace a football field. Parade all American and poet.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

snoot hoggy hog

D-Dawg by far but why isn't Hunter Henry never in this conversation???

Iwastherein1969

Anyone who says somebody other than Lance Alworth is wasting the skin on your fingertips banging keys. Lance literally changed the game of football in the old AFL. With his blinding speed and tremendous athletic ability Lance made professional football a game of the forward pass. There are many great players but so very few innovators. Lance Alworth was an innovator. And please don't come with the "yeah, but he played in the 60's and early 70's before the NFL had fully accepted the Black athlete". WRONG.  Lance played in the AFL which was the haven of the great Black athlete at the time. Watch some of Lance's long TD catches from Hadl and you'll see that Lance competed almost exclusively against great Black athletes. I hate to have to bring that up, but I know there are some people who will say he wasn't playing against top shelf competition which is complete BS. The answer to the OP's question is Lance Alworth and it really isn't even close.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 31, 2017, 07:26:38 am
Anyone who says somebody other than Lance Alworth is wasting the skin on your fingertips banging keys. Lance literally changed the game of football in the old AFL. With his blinding speed and tremendous athletic ability Lance made professional football a game of the forward pass. There are many great players but so very few innovators. Lance Alworth was an innovator. And please don't come with the "yeah, but he played in the 60's and early 70's before the NFL had fully accepted the Black athlete". WRONG.  Lance played in the AFL which was the haven of the great Black athlete at the time. Watch some of Lance's long TD catches from Hadl and you'll see that Lance competed almost exclusively against great Black athletes. I hate to have to bring that up, but I know there are some people who will say he wasn't playing against top shelf competition which is complete BS. The answer to the OP's question is Lance Alworth and it really isn't even close.

Again, it depends on the parameters of the original question.  If it's "greatest of Arkansas football, as a Hog", then it absolutely has to be DMac, no debate.  However, if it's "greatest of Arkansas football, pro career included", then that brings in Bambi, Dan Hampton and Steve Atwater. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Ethan2010 on January 31, 2017, 12:24:38 am
Clearly vin ascolese. Not only is he the best player ever to call the hogs, he is arguably the best player to ever grace a football field. Parade all American and poet.

Excellent choice Ethan.  Dude moved so fast you could hardly even see him out there.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Offense is designed to gain yardage and score points.  Who produced more yards and points than anyone in Arkansas history?

DeltaBoy

Dmac
Clyde Smackover Scott
Billy Ray Smith Jr.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Soooie21

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

SemperHawg

I remember getting back from Iraq and flying home for post deployment leave and getting to XNA just in time to drive straight to Donald Dubya for the South Carolina game... He went off for 321 in the greatest single game performance I've had the pleasure of watching out of a Razorback.  I'm not as long in the tooth as some around here but for me it is DMAC and everyone else is a contest for second place. 

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

redleg

The obvious answer is Darren McFadden, and that would be my pick.
But I would also like to see a lineman get some love too!
How about Shawn Andrews?!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

mckinneyhog5

Ok grandpa but you're wrong..DMac is the GOAT!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

RAZORHOGG15

Quote from: redleg on January 31, 2017, 09:31:23 am
The obvious answer is Darren McFadden, and that would be my pick.
But I would also like to see a lineman get some love too!
How about Shawn Andrews?!
:razorback:
Once again it goes to when are we talking because Jason Peters has had a much better NFL career than Andrews did.
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

010HogFan

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BDSCT51

DMAC! And its not close as others have stated.

Been on this Hog roller coaster since the late 60s for perspective. My number two is Billy Ray Smith Jr. That man lit up opposing offenses like nobody's business. Certainly lots of other greats, Rodney Brand, Steve Korte, and Brandon Burlsworth could also make some of those lists along with the ones others have already named.

Quarterbacks: Mallet for raw talent, Calcagni and Montgomery for leadership, Ferguson for getting Frank to throw the damn ball, Grovey and Thomas for athleticism, the Allen brothers for toughness. Could be a few more for this position.

I know this was supposed to be a GOAT list only but there are 11 out there every play on both sides of the ball. Lots of great young men have represented Arkansas in a Hog uniform and deserve to be mentioned! Tough to just single out one for sure.
Bleeding Razorback Red

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 31, 2017, 09:55:42 am
Ok grandpa but you're wrong..DMac is the GOAT!
Well, I did get around when I was a bit younger, now i'm in my mid 50's. So if your grandmother is in her mid 50's there is a very good possibility your calling me Grandpa is factually correct, however, if your mother is in her mid 40's to early 50's referring to me as Dad would be more appropriate, son.

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 31, 2017, 12:28:06 pm
Well, I did get around when I was a bit younger, now i'm in my mid 50's. So if your grandmother is in her mid 50's there is a very good possibility your calling me Grandpa is factually correct, however, if your mother is in her mid 40's to early 50's referring to me as Dad would be more appropriate, son.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
WPS!!!

bcdeputy

Run DMC baby......

Deserved to win two... got robbed both times

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 31, 2017, 07:44:02 am
Again, it depends on the parameters of the original question.  If it's "greatest of Arkansas football, as a Hog", then it absolutely has to be DMac, no debate.  However, if it's "greatest of Arkansas football, pro career included", then that brings in Bambi, Dan Hampton and Steve Atwater.
I get exactly what you are saying and you are quite right. When I read the OP's thread starter the thought that first came to my mind was who had the best career simply because it said nothing about a time frame. So if we are gauging time spent at the UA, I'd have to go with a tie, Steve Atwater/Darren Mcfadden.  But if the you take into account the careers your top 3 are quite right and in this order, 1) Alworth, 2) Atwater  and 3) Dan Hampton....put it this way, we don't get players like those guys anymore

The Arkansas Razorbacks football team goes as the quality of Little Rock HS football goes. When central Arkansas has a banner crop, especially on defense, the Hogs can really compete against anyone in the SEC with exceptions of (right now) Alabama. Little Rock Central football's downhill slide has really hurt the Hog defense. And one more thing, we have too many players from Fayetteville getting quality playing time for my liking. JMHO.  I have no idea why Bielema doesn't come to Texarkana and recruit it harder, the border city produces talent every year. Just ask Oregon.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bcdeputy on January 31, 2017, 12:47:48 pm
to show you how badly the voting was skewed for Timmy Tebow, that was the year McFadden rushed for 321 yards against South Carolina who was coached by Steve Spurrier. Well, upon further revelation, Steve Spurrier, former Heisman winner thus a Heisman voter, totally left Darren off of his ballot. SPLAIN Dat one.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Ben on January 30, 2017, 09:34:54 pm
Who would you say is the greatest razorback of all time? I know Alworth and Hampton are Hall of Famers, but if we are talking about what was done as a Razorback, I have to say Darren McFadden
Alworth was before my time, Dan and Billy Ray were great, but McFadden was Bo-esque, definitely a GOAT!

SemperHawg

Spittin fire!!!

EastexHawg

It should be Matt Jones.  Nutt knew how to hand the ball to a running back like Darren.  That was within his miniscule, bordering on nonexistent, wheelhouse but how to utilize a quarterback with Matt's unworldly talents was beyond the limits of his English pea sized brain.  Le Sueur very small young English pea size...not Banquet TV dinner size.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 31, 2017, 01:54:04 pm
to show you how badly the voting was skewed for Timmy Tebow, that was the year McFadden rushed for 321 yards against South Carolina who was coached by Steve Spurrier. Well, upon further revelation, Steve Spurrier, former Heisman winner thus a Heisman voter, totally left Darren off of his ballot. SPLAIN Dat one.

Right.  McFadden should certainly be our only Heisman Trophy winner, but even as it is, he very nearly won it twice.  There are others in the conversation, but really just for second place.  DMAC is the GOAT.

code red

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 31, 2017, 08:55:18 am
I remember getting back from Iraq and flying home for post deployment leave and getting to XNA just in time to drive straight to Donald Dubya for the South Carolina game... He went off for 321 in the greatest single game performance I've had the pleasure of watching out of a Razorback.  I'm not as long in the tooth as some around here but for me it is DMAC and everyone else is a contest for second place. 
My wife said she didn't want to go so I went by myself....needless to say...she was POed when I got home.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 31, 2017, 01:54:04 pm
He also left Tebow off of  the pre-season All SEC list in 09.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

rickm1976

You can talk 'till you're blue in the face, but they won't listen to us old guys because they will still say it was a different game back then.  However, I still have to admit that DMac was the best ever.  Alworth was a not too distant second.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 31, 2017, 01:46:21 pm
I have no idea why Bielema doesn't come to Texarkana and recruit it harder, the border city produces talent every year. Just ask Oregon.

Gralyn Wyatt, anyone??

mckinneyhog5

Well seeing that both my grandparents and parents have passed away counting their age really doesn't matter anymore. My dad was 51 when he passed and his dad passed when my dad was seven.
I'm 46 but your pick puts you in the minority and thus the grandpa statement.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

EastexHawg

KennyForAD

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 31, 2017, 04:16:31 pm
Well seeing that both my grandparents and parents have passed away counting their age really doesn't matter anymore. My dad was 51 when he passed and his dad passed when my dad was seven.
I'm 46 but your pick puts you in the minority and thus the grandpa statement.

Regardless, he's on solid ground with Alworth.  I'll go with DMAC, but won't fault anyone who thinks its Alworth.  NFL HOF.  Named the 38th greatest football player of all time.  Bambi...   

Gonzo

Quote from: bcdeputy on January 31, 2017, 12:47:48 pm

He certainly had a good case both years but what angered me the most about all that was the two-faced arguments against him. The first year it was argued Troy Smith should get the nod because DMac was an underclassman/sophomore, yet the very next season the very same argument was ignored in giving the trophy to a sophomore, the first time a non-upperclassman won the award. Complete horsecrap IMO

Go Hogs!

razorbacker3

Just as a razorback then its dmac without question. As a pro also, Alworth, Hampton, Atwater, Peters, and a few others would have consideration.

WJBilly

Dmac and Alworth as 1 and 1A
Quote from: KennyForAD on January 31, 2017, 04:33:27 pm
Regardless, he's on solid ground with Alworth.  I'll go with DMAC, but won't fault anyone who thinks its Alworth.  NFL HOF.  Named the 38th greatest football player of all time.  Bambi...   

after watching that video It looked very different seeing the QB as one of the lead blockers.

TeedupHigh

Wish I could be around 50 years from now when this come up and the fans will say yeah but Dmac played back when they actually tackled the ball carrier to the ground!  Day is coming when this will not be allowed and may not be so far away.........