Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once and for all on Byers

Started by Porked Tongue, January 29, 2017, 04:04:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

Bama has withdrawn their offer.  It was a few days ago but now has leaked.

Everyone doubting the Hogs non-recruitment can now relax.  Not everything is in the public eye.

Let's wish this Arkansas product Byers well with his next step.

tophawg19

Guess Saban didn't bring enough money. He may go without a DT this season
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 29, 2017, 04:04:06 pm
Bama has withdrawn their offer.  It was a few days ago but now has leaked.

Everyone doubting the Hogs non-recruitment can now relax.  Not everything is in the public eye.

Let's wish this Arkansas product Byers well with his next step.

Best of luck to the young man.  He was good enough to be recruited by the #1 D in the land--- let's hope he gets into a good JUCO program, gets strong in the classroom, then wants to home and help the Hogs. 

LZH

rzrbk4life

Best of luck Mr Byers. Would love to see you playing for the hogs one day
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Sow Lancelot

Say it ain't so!

I wanna believe that CBB is just lazy!  ;)
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

I got a better idea.  Why don't we assist him in getting into a Juco program and stay in touch with the school and Byers as much as we can and still be legal and hope he comes to us IF & WHEN he is qualified.  If he is a good DT, it seems to me doing that is an inexpensive way to MAYBE get a good player who would likely play hard for the Hogs if having the opportunity.  This would take a bit of effort on our staff but as difficult as it is to get good players to sign on here, why not put out that effort to get one hiding right under our noses.  No airfare necessary to go see the Kid, no long trip to waste, no problem staying in touch with the High School folks.  This could be a cheap gain.

My memory is we don't use our 25 allowed each year anyway so why not offer, knowing he isn't gonna qualify, then be all over getting him in a school where he can actually learn his position better and then return to us MAYBE and be nearly ready to go.  Let us be the Guys that was there when the BAMA's of the world didn't have time to help him. If the kid has character he would return to us.

farmhawg

Quote from: 12247 on January 29, 2017, 04:50:57 pm
I got a better idea.  Why don't we assist him in getting into a Juco program and stay in touch with the school and Byers as much as we can and still be legal and hope he comes to us IF & WHEN he is qualified.  If he is a good DT, it seems to me doing that is an inexpensive way to MAYBE get a good player who would likely play hard for the Hogs if having the opportunity.  This would take a bit of effort on our staff but as difficult as it is to get good players to sign on here, why not put out that effort to get one hiding right under our noses.  No airfare necessary to go see the Kid, no long trip to waste, no problem staying in touch with the High School folks.  This could be a cheap gain.

My memory is we don't use our 25 allowed each year anyway so why not offer, knowing he isn't gonna qualify, then be all over getting him in a school where he can actually learn his position better and then return to us MAYBE and be nearly ready to go.  Let us be the Guys that was there when the BAMA's of the world didn't have time to help him. If the kid has character he would return to us.

Too much work.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Amityvillehogger

That's probably why it was rumored that Saban was at FHS recently. To tell him face to face. Good luck to the kid.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 29, 2017, 04:55:39 pm
That's probably why it was rumored that Saban was at FHS recently. To tell him face to face. Good luck to the kid.
No rumor.  He was there to check on the entire issue on his eligibility and other intangibles.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 29, 2017, 05:00:11 pm
No rumor.  He was there to check on the entire issue on his eligibility and other intangibles.

Gotcha. Guess he seen enough.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

3kgthog

Is any Arkansas JUCO ever going to start a football program? I think it'd help us tremendously.

factchecker

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 29, 2017, 05:09:49 pm
Is any Arkansas JUCO ever going to start a football program? I think it'd help us tremendously.

Doesn't Baptist in Little Rock have a team?

Edit:

They do:

http://www.abcbuffaloes.com/sport/mens/football

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawg IQ

somebody clear this up for me....  But why can't he just walk on and work in the weight room here and gain his eligibility during the first year. No juco or nothing.

Maybe his grades are not high enough to even enroll ??  My point is summer school maybe until his grade get higher. I just don't understand why kids have to always go juco??
go hogs go !

factchecker

Quote from: hawg IQ on January 29, 2017, 05:24:56 pm
somebody clear this up for me....  But why can't he just walk on and work in the weight room here and gain his eligibility during the first year. No juco or nothing.

Maybe his grades are not high enough to even enroll ??  My point is summer school maybe until his grade get higher. I just don't understand why kids have to always go juco??

If your grades aren't good enough for athletic eligibility then they aren't going to be good enough for general admission.

Admissions isn't going to give preferential treatment to a walk on.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawg IQ

Quote from: factchecker on January 29, 2017, 05:27:11 pm
If your grades aren't good enough for athletic eligibility then they aren't going to be good enough for general admission.

Thanks ! I should have thought that through a little more.  I guess just knowing we have a talent so close, one would think there might be another way, I guess not. Saw where we got Melvin Johnson also, might help , since obviously no Byers.
go hogs go !

FANONTHEHILL

Hey Porked, I'm not surprised by this, but I'm just curious when/where this news broke.  I've been away all afternoon.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawginbigd1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 29, 2017, 06:05:00 pm
Hey Porked, I'm not surprised by this, but I'm just curious when/where this news broke.  I've been away all afternoon.
I don't know where it broke but RD says he has known since Wednesday.

TheEnemy

Quote from: factchecker on January 29, 2017, 05:27:11 pm

I think he can still be admitted.  The problem is that would make him a partial qualifier....and the SEC does not allow partial qualifiers.  He would have to pay his own way and would not be able to use anything from the athletic department until he had qualified.

I think Jerrel Powe did this years back at Ole Miss.

Pig in the Pokey

worst kept secret in the state.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Porked Tongue

January 29, 2017, 07:14:38 pm #20 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:27:24 pm by Porked Tongue
There was no "announcement".  Word had just gradually leaked.  I kept thinking that it'd break out of Bama first but it didn't.

To add, I'm not sure he can even get into a JUCO at this point.

tophawg19

what is the requirement for Juco. I'm thinking Prep school
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: TheEnemy on January 29, 2017, 06:31:06 pm
I think he can still be admitted.  The problem is that would make him a partial qualifier....and the SEC does not allow partial qualifiers.  He would have to pay his own way and would not be able to use anything from the athletic department until he had qualified.

I think Jerrel Powe did this years back at Ole Miss.

Someone who can't make a 2.3 GPA and 18 ACT isn't going to be admitted into the University of Alabama, now, maybe into Saban University.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Time to move on. There are already 3-4 really good looking DT in the 2018 in-state class including El Dorado's Terry Hampton (6'2", 265), Fordyce's Billy Ferrell (6'3", 315) and Har-Ber's Alejandro Ramirez (6'2", 295).

Hampton routinely beat double-teams and showed his wheels during an 80-yard fumble return TD. Ferrell is really big, versatile athlete who caught several TDs at TE this year and Ramirez played 0 tech NG almost exclusively this year and looked really polished doing it. Behind them, you've got Wynne's Logan Jessup (6'3", 260), who is athletic enough to be a heavy end in the 3-4, and then there's a (monster) project NG in Newport's Darell Hardiman (6'5", 350).

Provided these guys are all eligible they give you 5 to play 4 whereas bringing Byers back, even if the Hogs could, only gives them 3 for 2. It's a no-brainer.

Hampton:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6032711/58597cc1b018fd2dc86265f9

Ferrell:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6188103/580fecee3bd81433b4229d5b

Ramirez:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5289512/5806d1dc5caa580d00a6dafb

Jessup:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2965755/5824a2b590f9931bbcb5b53b

Hardiman:
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5445173/57c6d43b0aff7b339878f848

EDIT:

I almost forgot Cabot's Dayonte Roberts (6'2", 280) who is really physical at the point-of-attack.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4202384/584a20c0c124dd2c80972e91

Oklahawg

Those are solid highlights. I noticed that several of those Ramirez highlights come at Jenks. That added to my impression!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2017, 10:25:46 pm
Those are solid highlights. I noticed that several of those Ramirez highlights come at Jenks. That added to my impression!
Agree. Ramirez is a perfect fit for the 3-4. He could play every down with 20 more pounds but he could come in right away on 3rd and 6+.

Cinco de Hogo

If he can't get into JUCO how can he even graduate high school?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2017, 10:41:25 pm
If he can't get into JUCO how can he even graduate high school?

Lol public high schools let you graduate with just about anything these days

jdelo77

His ACT score is close ...but it looks like juco in his future ...

riccoar

What are ACT requirements along with GPA for admission?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 12247 on January 29, 2017, 04:50:57 pm

Too many if's and maybe's to make it worth the time and effort. Imagine we do all that an he JUCO transfers to another school. Everyone would be calling bielema an idiot. Its a lose-lose situation for him
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 30, 2017, 06:38:01 am
Too many if's and maybe's to make it worth the time and effort. Imagine we do all that an he JUCO transfers to another school. Everyone would be calling bielema an idiot. Its a lose-lose situation for him

Yep. Just think back to 4 Star DT Calvin Barnett from the 2010 recruiting class. Went to JC, came out of there and headed to Oklahoma State. There was also a 3 star LB Courtney Gaston who also had to go the JC route. Where he ended up I don't know.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 29, 2017, 07:14:38 pm
There was no "announcement".  Word had just gradually leaked.  I kept thinking that it'd break out of Bama first but it didn't.

To add, I'm not sure he can even get into a JUCO at this point.

I have a problem with any student participating in an extra curriculum activity of any type if they don't even have the grades or eligibility to get into a junior college.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 30, 2017, 06:38:01 am

We have too many fans on here who remember the way things used to be, in the oversigning days. SEC changed the rules, and now sign-and-place is not the way things are done.
[CENSORED]!

Piggfoot

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 30, 2017, 08:48:30 am
I have a problem with any student participating in an extra curriculum activity of any type if they don't even have the grades or eligibility to get into a junior college.
You and I are evidently old school. I don't remember the  required average average in my day but I believe it was a 2.00. Our tops was a 4.00. Today I understand it is a 6.00 because of so called AP courses which are a joke.
Our educational system is failing our students allowing them play and not pass their core subjects. It's been going on a long time. The "great" Shabazz was a prime example.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 09:24:10 am
Today I understand it is a 6.00 because of so called AP courses which are a joke.

Why are AP classes a joke? They have nothing to do with player eligibility. AP classes are good for those who want to take harder classes, and they often qualify as college credit.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OutlawHawg

Sucks it didn't work out for Byers. Hope we can fill our last couple spots with in-state kids. Seems like every year some of our best players are in-state guys who didn't have rock star offers but come in and bust their ass.

hogsanity

Quote from: OutlawHawg on January 30, 2017, 09:31:47 am
Sucks it didn't work out for Byers. Hope we can fill our last couple spots with in-state kids. Seems like every year some of our best players are in-state guys who didn't have rock star offers but come in and bust their ass.

Oh GEEZ, you cant be serious.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

theshiva

Looks like the coaches are 1 for 2 on being conservative in recruiting the past two years. I understand why they are, but I still think we should be alittle more aggressive. We're at an obvious talent disadvantage compared to most of the SEC, that to move up, I think we need to take more risks.

OutlawHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2017, 09:33:21 am
Oh GEEZ, you cant be serious.

Just gotta get those diamonds in the rough that bleed red.

RedyorNot

Quote from: riccoar on January 30, 2017, 06:32:21 am
What are ACT requirements along with GPA for admission?

The requirements changed in 2016. Graduate with 16 core courses, 10 of them by start of senior year, 2.3 GPA in those core courses. ACT/SAT on a sliding sum points scale that matches the core GPA. Here's the NCAA elibility link.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/play-division-i-sports

PigWig

You and I are evidently old school. I don't remember the  required average average in my day but I believe it was a 2.00. Our tops was a 4.00. Today I understand it is a 6.00 because of so called AP courses which are a joke.
First, AP classes are based on a 5.0 point scale because they are college level classes.  They are only offered in certain subjects, so the idea that anyone is graduating HS with a 6.0 GPA is total nonsense.  You might see some high school valedictorians with a 4.25 GPA or so, but its not going to get much higher than that because the majority of your classes don't have AP variants. 

Second, AP classes are an excellent way for kids to get a head start on college.  I graduated HS over 10 years ago (I'm sure the AP curriculum has expanded in the last decade plus), but even at that point I had 27 hours of college credit before I ever stepped foot on campus at the UofA thanks to taking AP classes, college classes offered in HS, etc.

Piggfoot

Quote from: PigWig on January 30, 2017, 09:59:18 am
First, AP classes are based on a 5.0 point scale because they are college level classes.  They are only offered in certain subjects, so the idea that anyone is graduating HS with a 6.0 GPA is total nonsense.  You might see some high school valedictorians with a 4.25 GPA or so, but its not going to get much higher than that because the majority of your classes don't have AP variants. 

Second, AP classes are an excellent way for kids to get a head start on college.  I graduated HS over 10 years ago (I'm sure the AP curriculum has expanded in the last decade plus), but even at that point I had 27 hours of college credit before I ever stepped foot on campus at the UofA thanks to taking AP classes, college classes offered in HS, etc.
At one point they were 6.0 . They are still a joke.
http://unioncountyweekly.com/education/2015/08/grading-scale-change-wont-mean-drama-for-high-schoolers-ucps-says/ just an example.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 10:20:38 am

ok you've said that twice, but yet have not answered why they are a joke, please elaborate for us.

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2017, 10:22:46 am
ok you've said that twice, but yet have not answered why they are a joke, please elaborate for us.
It is an inflated scale  in todays everyone gets a trophy world. It wasn't around in 1964, a date often thrown around here.

ricepig

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 10:26:45 am
It is an inflated scale  in todays everyone gets a trophy world. It wasn't around in 1964, a date often thrown around here.

Correct, you couldn't do college work in high school in 1964.

PigWig

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 10:20:38 am
AP classes have never been based on a 6.0 scale, and they are not a joke.  They are a way for kids to save a lot of time and money by completing many basic college classes while in high school.  AP classes are as difficult or more difficult than most freshman level college courses, and they also required you to pass a standardized cumulative test upon completion to actually receive your college credit. 

I just hope you are not trying to steer your children or grandchildren away from taking these courses based on your misunderstanding of the system.  They can save kids a significant amount of time and money.

Biggus Piggus

Our educational system is failing our students allowing them play and not pass their core subjects. It's been going on a long time. The "great" Shabazz was a prime example.

Byers wasn't taking any AP courses, ROFL. Goodness gracious.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 10:26:45 am

This makes no sense to the conversation about player eligibility. The eligibility standards in HS and the enrollment qualifications in college have nothing to do with AP classes, and everything thing to do with just making minimum requirements.

The only way a student can score above a 4.0 is to take college level classes in HS. If you think the classes themselves are a joke, you should go sit is a AP algebra class then go sit in the regular hs algebra class. You will see the difference in about a minute.