Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Build your All-Hog team. (Skill positions on Offense)

Started by Ben, January 24, 2017, 12:57:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 24, 2017, 03:00:14 pm
QB: Tavaris Jackson
Rb: Dedrick Poole
FB: Mitch Petrus
WR: LaQuinta Funderburke
WR: Matt Jones
TE:  Jason Peters
LT:  Denver Kirkland, SR.
LG:  Hyjate Froholdt
C:  Brett Goode
RG:  Also Mitch Petrus
RT: Anthony Oden
Uncommon ???

redleg

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 25, 2017, 07:49:49 am
Jim Brown wouldn't even start in the NFL now.  Athletes have just come too far.  In the 60's a 6'2 231 could bully people on the field.

NFL all decade team for the 60's on defense
Merlin Olsen - 270
Bob Lilly - 260
Deacon Jones - 270
Doug Atkins - 275

With that monstrous DL how could anyone ever run the ball?  Give me a break.  You think these guys even being 20 lbs lighter than most NFL players today are in the sub 5.0 40 range? 

Let's look at some of the recent combine performances for athletes today (these are future rookies, not even people in the league yet)

Darron Lee. After he ran 4.47, at 6-1 and 232 pounds, there were secondary coaches taking a peek to see if he could make an impact at safety. The linebacker coaches won't want to lose a guy that ran 4.47, jumped 35.5 inches in the vertical jump and registered 11-2 in the broad jump

Leonard Floyd was 220 pounds and thin a year ago at this time, so when he weighed in Friday, it raised a few eyebrows when the scale said 244. Of course, scouts then questioned whether he could still run. He answered that question quite authoritatively. He only did three different measurement tests — the 40, the vertical jump and the broad jump. At 244 pounds, Floyd walked away as a top performer in each of the three — 4.60 in the 40, 39.5-inch vertical jump and 10-7 broad jump

Auburn cornerback Jonathan Jones ran a 4.33, and Houston cornerback William Jackson, a dark horse first-round candidate, blazed a 4.37, the sixth-best time of the entire weekend.

So in perspective a sub 4.4 time was only the SIXTH best performance here.  Speed kills.  Even the 190-210 lb CB's of today would own Jim Brown.  Sorry guys, time to let go of the past.

What?!!! hahahahahahaha!!! Jim Brown wouldn't start in today's NFL?! Are you freakin serious?! Wow.
You really have a serious case of bias. Jim Brown, in today's NFL, would be just as dominate as he was in the 50's and 60's. Especially if he was on the right team, like say Dallas, or New England...a team with a solid Line like what Brown had in Cleveland. For you to compare players sizes only shows you know nothing about skill and heart.
Any NFL all-time team worth its salt will have Jim Brown on it, along with Joe Green, Randy White, Mike Webster, Fred Biletnikoff, Sammy Baugh, Earl Campbell, Johnny Unitas, Dick Butkas, Jack Tatum, Kellen Winslow, Ray Nitschke, and Roger Staubach. But you wouldn't know much about these guys, would you?
smh
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pork Twain

Quote from: redleg on January 25, 2017, 08:32:42 am
What?!!! hahahahahahaha!!! Jim Brown wouldn't start in today's NFL?! Are you freakin serious?! Wow.
You really have a serious case of bias. Jim Brown, in today's NFL, would be just as dominate as he was in the 50's and 60's. Especially if he was on the right team, like say Dallas, or New England...a team with a solid Line like what Brown had in Cleveland. For you to compare players sizes only shows you know nothing about skill and heart.
Any NFL all-time team worth its salt will have Jim Brown on it, along with Joe Green, Randy White, Mike Webster, Fred Biletnikoff, Sammy Baugh, Earl Campbell, Johnny Unitas, Dick Butkas, Jack Tatum, Kellen Winslow, Ray Nitschke, and Roger Staubach. But you wouldn't know much about these guys, would you?
smh
:razorback:
This is one of the biggest problems with comparing across generations, you never know how that person would look with present day training and against present day competition.  There is really no way to say who is correct in this debate and best to just avoid this all together.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dumb ole famrboy

Most everyone includes Billy Ray Smith, Jr. but no one seems to ever include Sr. on these type of lists.

Youngsta71701

Jim Brown wouldn't even start in the NFL now.  Athletes have just come too far.  In the 60's a 6'2 231 could bully people on the field.

Merlin Olsen - 270
Bob Lilly - 260
Deacon Jones - 270
Doug Atkins - 275

With that monstrous DL how could anyone ever run the ball?  Give me a break.  You think these guys even being 20 lbs lighter than most NFL players today are in the sub 5.0 40 range? 

Let's look at some of the recent combine performances for athletes today (these are future rookies, not even people in the league yet)

Darron Lee. After he ran 4.47, at 6-1 and 232 pounds, there were secondary coaches taking a peek to see if he could make an impact at safety. The linebacker coaches won't want to lose a guy that ran 4.47, jumped 35.5 inches in the vertical jump and registered 11-2 in the broad jump

Leonard Floyd was 220 pounds and thin a year ago at this time, so when he weighed in Friday, it raised a few eyebrows when the scale said 244. Of course, scouts then questioned whether he could still run. He answered that question quite authoritatively. He only did three different measurement tests — the 40, the vertical jump and the broad jump. At 244 pounds, Floyd walked away as a top performer in each of the three — 4.60 in the 40, 39.5-inch vertical jump and 10-7 broad jump

Auburn cornerback Jonathan Jones ran a 4.33, and Houston cornerback William Jackson, a dark horse first-round candidate, blazed a 4.37, the sixth-best time of the entire weekend.

So in perspective a sub 4.4 time was only the SIXTH best performance here.  Speed kills.  Even the 190-210 lb CB's of today would own Jim Brown.  Sorry guys, time to let go of the past.
What?! 6'2 230 running backs are still bullying people til this day. He was just ahead of his time. Don't forget he also outran people too.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Dumb ole famrboy

Merlin Olsen - 270
Bob Lilly - 260
Deacon Jones - 270
Doug Atkins - 275

You could apply this same logic to - Babe Ruth. Plus he played league made up only of slow white people that couldn't jump.

The_Iceman

How I would set up my team: 1QB, 1RB, 2TE, 2WR.

Im going to keep it with players I have seen play. This would give you the versatility to pass and run with the TEs as blockers or receivers.

QB: Ryan Mallett (2010)
RB: Darren McFadden (2007)
TE: DJ Williams (2009)
TE: Hunter Henry (2015)
WR: Jarius Wright (2011)
WR: Anthony Lucas (1998)

I would pick an OL of LT Shawn Andrews, RT Jason Peters (I know he played TE in college, but he was essentially a 6th OL for Nutt. His NFL career speaks for itself), RG Bullsworth, C Luigs, LG Tony Ugoh.

WR is the toughest for me. You could put Adams, Childs, the Traitor, Drew Morgan, or Hamilton in there. I like the combo of Wright and Lucas for my two WR with this group.

justmakeit2thebcs

How does anybody put Peyton Hillis (959 yds rushing in 4 years) ahead of Barry Foster ?

Pork Twain

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 25, 2017, 09:47:48 am
How does anybody put Peyton Hillis (959 yds rushing in 4 years) ahead of Barry Foster ?
How does anyone call out things in a thread that literally nobody did?

Better HB?  Foster
Better FB?  Hillis

Player build
Foster - 5'10" 223
Hillis - 6'2" 250
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

al_pigcino

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on January 25, 2017, 09:30:25 am
You could apply this same logic to - Babe Ruth. Plus he played league made up only of slow white people that couldn't jump.
Exactly.  Big fish, small pond.  Today the athletic gap has closed.  We are almost reaching limits of how fast people can go.  The difference is now you have 300 pound guys running what 240 pound guys did 30 and 40 years ago.  What athlete compares to JJ Watt or Clowney?  None.  Jim Brown was 6'3 230lb.  Yeah big back who out run people.  Who did he out run?  270 lb defensive lineman who ran 5.5?  Yeah, what a great athlete. 

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pork Twain

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 25, 2017, 09:50:46 am
Exactly.  Big fish, small pond.  Today the athletic gap has closed.  We are almost reaching limits of how fast people can go.  The difference is now you have 300 pound guys running what 240 pound guys did 30 and 40 years ago.  What athlete compares to JJ Watt or Clowney?  None.  Jim Brown was 6'3 230lb.  Yeah big back who out run people.  Who did he out run?  270 lb defensive lineman who ran 5.5?  Yeah, what a great athlete. 
Sadly in your in-depth analysis of this situation, you are assuming that Brown would not be in great shape and benefit from today's technology.  That is why you should not compare across generations, far too many unknowns.

justmakeit2thebcs

Pork Twain

January 25, 2017, 10:13:42 am #63 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:45:16 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 25, 2017, 10:05:20 am
Do you even know who Barry Foster is ? 

http://www.foxsportsarkansas.com/top-100-hogs-fullback-barry-foster/

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-002&hsimp=yhs-002&hspart=mozilla&p=barry+foster#id=1&vid=b588f1e7d20daf6fb92f9e29d782408b&action=click
Yes he was our FB in the wishbone offense.  Sadly it seems you might not realize how he was utilized vs how Peyton was utilized.  In our current offense I would rather have Peyton and his size to clear the way for the runner and make catches out of the backfield.  Barry was used to execute the dive play in the wishbone, not the same as clearing the way for the HB.  If today's offense Barry would be used as a HB and probably be a very good one.  Obviously in the lineup most of us that put Peyton in instead of Barry, he would be used as a lead blocker, not as another HB.  Barry would not crack my top 4 FB list

Maybe you should brush up on the use of a FB in the wishbone and how Barry was used before you call others out

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/7/3/4486792/college-football-fullback-trey-millard-spread-offense

Jackrabbit Hog

Jim Brown wouldn't even start in the NFL now.

You lost me - and anyone else on the board with a lick of sense - with your first sentence.  No need for you to have even typed the rest of that drivel.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 25, 2017, 10:13:42 am
Yes he was our FB in the wishbone offense.  Sadly it seems you might not realize how he was utilized vs how Peyton was utilized.  In our current offense I would rather have Peyton and his size to clear the way for the runner and make catches out of the backfield.  Barry was used to execute the dive play in the wishbone, not the same as clearing the way for the HB.  If today's offense Barry would be used as a HB and probably be a very good one.  Obviously in the lineup most of us that put Peyton in instead of Barry, he would be used as a lead blocker, not as another HB.
I understand how both were utilized very well. In fact, I roamed the sidelines while Payton played, and went to college with Barry.  Why do you think Barry played FB in the Flexbone instead of one of the two HB positions?  It was his ability to block.  James Rouse and EJ Jackson?

FYI....If you ever run into Reggie Herring, ask him his thoughts on Hillis. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 25, 2017, 11:01:43 am
FYI....If you ever run into Reggie Herring, ask him his thoughts on Hillis.

Since I doubt I'll ever run into Reggie and I'm genuinely curious, what are his thoughts on Hillis?
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TushCrush

Merlin Olsen - 270
Bob Lilly - 260
Deacon Jones - 270
Doug Atkins - 275
It would be interesting to be able to insert Deacon Jones into one of this generations pro games. When the OL that had to block him woke back up I'd like to hear his thoughts :)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 24, 2017, 05:14:29 pm
So did Ken Hatfield.  A few fans reminded him on his way out that day, just so he wouldn't forget.

I prefer to remember him for his playing days. Without his return we don't get a piece of the NC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

East TN HAWG

Quote from: kibster on January 25, 2017, 08:01:56 am
I see a lot of mention of Hillis at FB, and while he was a good FB, I still think he was a better RB, I think Kiero Small is who I would pick to lead the way for some of the RBs that are being mentioned.  One of my favorites of all time.

I would say Barry Foster > Hillis > Smalls.  Hillis and Foster are very similar, but Foster more explosive with the ball.  That 80 yard run against Miami was a thing of beauty. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 25, 2017, 11:25:08 am
I prefer to remember him for his playing days. Without his return we don't get a piece of the NC.

I'm sure we all do (at least we should).  I was merely pointing out that that game was probably the one that resulted in Ken losing a significant portion of the fanbase.  There was video of fans berating him on his way into the tunnel.  Not our finest hour, for sure.

greenie

al_pigcino

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 25, 2017, 09:57:59 am
Sadly in your in-depth analysis of this situation, you are assuming that Brown would not be in great shape and benefit from today's technology.  That is why you should not compare across generations, far too many unknowns.
Well now we are changing parameters. 

The Jim Brown from the 60's would not start in the NFL now.  You guys can argue you want and be wrong.  Being a dominate player in his era is a farce. 

TushCrush

Some of my favorites through the years:
QB - Joe Ferguson
RB - Darren McFadden
RB - Gary Anderson
WR - Cobi Hamilton
WR - Jarius Wright)
C - Mike Burlingame (Hold For The Heisman)
G - Leotis Harris
G - R.C. Thielman
T - Greg Koch
T - Shawn Andrews
TE - Hunter Henry

DLUXHOG

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 24, 2017, 01:45:29 pm
All of the best athletes would be this generation.  No athlete from the 60's would even compete at the level now.  All time team should really consist of everything from late 80's to now. 
Dick Butkus, Conrad Dobler, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Rosy Grier say hello...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hardcore Hoggy

al_pigcino

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 25, 2017, 11:59:05 am
Dick Butkus, Conrad Dobler, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Rosy Grier say hello...
lol Dick Butkus wouldn't be relevant now either. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Here's my 3-deep depth chart for skill position players.  Sorry, can't narrow it down considering all the great players we have to consider.  Starters listed first.

Pro-style QBs:   Joe Ferguson, Ryan Mallett, Tyler Wilson
Dual-threat QB:   Quinn Grovey, Matt Jones, Greg Thomas
Bulldog, do-what-it-takes QB:   Ron Calcagni, Clint Stoerner, Bill Montgomery
TBs:   Darren McFadden, Madre Hill, Jerry Eckwood (pre-injury), Dicky Morton, Alex Collins, James Rouse
FBs:   Barry Foster, Peyton Hillis, Bruce Maxwell
TEs:   Hunter Henry, D.J. Williams, Charles Clay
WRs:   Anthony Lucas, Chuck Dicus, Jarius Wright
WRs:   Lance Alworth, James Shibest, Bobby Crockett
KR:   Felix Jones, Dennis Johnson, Bobby Joe Edmonds
PR:   Gary Anderson, Joe Adams, Ken Hatfield

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 25, 2017, 12:20:44 pm

While I guess I understand your premise for this (that 1960s era Butkus was slower and less athletic than a Von Miller or a Dontae Hightower), I still disagree.  Cases in point are guys like Mark Schlereth, David Pollack, and many others who "shrank" back down to their normal size after retirement.  You see, 99% of these 325 pounders aren't naturally that large.  They are the product of training, nutrition, supplements (some legal and some not) and God knows what else.  Once they returned to a normal life, lo and behold, they are normal size.  Either that, or they blimp out and get obese.  Put the best players of the '60s in today's environment from their formative years, and they'd be among the best players today as well.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 25, 2017, 11:54:50 am
Well now we are changing parameters. 

The Jim Brown from the 60's would not start in the NFL now.  You guys can argue you want and be wrong.  Being a dominate player in his era is a farce.
Your either a hater of just very closed minded one... ???

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 12:35:19 pm
While I guess I understand your premise for this (that 1960s era Butkus was slower and less athletic than a Von Miller or a Dontae Hightower), I still disagree.  Cases in point are guys like Mark Schlereth, David Pollack, and many others who "shrank" back down to their normal size after retirement.  You see, 99% of these 325 pounders aren't naturally that large.  They are the product of training, nutrition, supplements (some legal and some not) and God knows what else.  Once they returned to a normal life, lo and behold, they are normal size.  Either that, or they blimp out and get obese.  Put the best players of the '60s in today's environment from their formative years, and they'd be among the best players today as well.
Exactly, some of the best players in those eras would be some of the best players in any era. A player is a player no matter what era they played in. That's just like saying Wilt Chamberlain would not be good today...I know...Sounds kind of silly huh... ???

kibster

I think what would be interesting is do an "all-team" from each coaching era.  That way it is more apples to apples.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

bennyl08

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 12:35:19 pm

You can't guarantee that any more than you can guarantee they wouldn't be able to compete. Lot of players do really well at one level/speed of play but don't have what it takes to play at the next level. Impossible to know which of the old players are Chris Smith  and which ones are Trey Flowers.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 25, 2017, 02:16:36 pm
You can't guarantee that any more than you can guarantee they wouldn't be able to compete. Lot of players do really well at one level/speed of play but don't have what it takes to play at the next level. Impossible to know which of the old players are Chris Smith  and which ones are Trey Flowers.

There are no guarantees.  But I don't think humans have "evolved" so greatly in the last 50 years that they are naturally that much bigger or faster than they were.  Back then the college game was best on best (with the obvious, important absence of the black athlete, which is a whole 'nuther argument of course), just as it is now.  I think it's logical to assume that the elite of those '60s athletes, when compared with their peers, would also be elite athletes today if given all the advantages today's athletes get. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 11:28:20 am
I'm sure we all do (at least we should).  I was merely pointing out that that game was probably the one that resulted in Ken losing a significant portion of the fanbase.  There was video of fans berating him on his way into the tunnel.  Not our finest hour, for sure.

What was that quote Frank said something along the lines of "where were the linebackers?". Kenny's big problems were preaching all the time and his unwillingness to do and not wanting to do all the stuff off the field that head coaches must do. He alienated himself to some people he shouldn't have.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 25, 2017, 02:44:26 pm
What was that quote Frank said something along the lines of "where were the linebackers?". Kenny's big problems were preaching all the time and his unwillingness to do and not wanting to do all the stuff off the field that head coaches must do. He alienated himself to some people he shouldn't have.

Kenny and Nolan had a lot in common.

BigLion10

QB Clint Stoerner
RB Darren McFadden
RB Cedric Cobbs
FB Payton Hollis
WR George Wilson
WR Anthony Lucas
WR Lance Alworth
TE Chris Gragg

Pork Twain

January 25, 2017, 05:07:51 pm #87 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:57:16 am by Pork Twain
Typical Hogville, the only place you cannot even pick your team without some jack wagon telling you how wrong you are

bennyl08

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 02:30:28 pm
There are no guarantees.  But I don't think humans have "evolved" so greatly in the last 50 years that they are naturally that much bigger or faster than they were.  Back then the college game was best on best (with the obvious, important absence of the black athlete, which is a whole 'nuther argument of course), just as it is now.  I think it's logical to assume that the elite of those '60s athletes, when compared with their peers, would also be elite athletes today if given all the advantages today's athletes get.

Depends on how you define naturally. You don't have to take steroids and HGH and other such things to be a behemoth 300+ pound line player. You just need a lot of calories, good nutrients in those calories, and a whole lot of time to devote to working out and eating. That is the biggest difference b/w today and yesterday. Nothing "unnatural" about it. Just a lot more resources today.

You argue that it is logical to make the assumption that people 20-50 pounds underweight would be able to add that weight and not lose a step. I disagree. It would be logical to assume that there'd be a similar success rate for them being able to do that as there would be today. It isn't a question of who is the most athletic. It is a question of who can remain the most athletic at a good enough size?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

alohawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 12:27:40 pm
Here's my 3-deep depth chart for skill position players.  Sorry, can't narrow it down considering all the great players we have to consider.  Starters listed first.

Pro-style QBs:   Joe Ferguson, Ryan Mallett, Tyler Wilson
Dual-threat QB:   Quinn Grovey, Matt Jones, Greg Thomas
Bulldog, do-what-it-takes QB:   Ron Calcagni, Clint Stoerner, Bill Montgomery
TBs:   Darren McFadden, Madre Hill, Jerry Eckwood (pre-injury), Dicky Morton, Alex Collins, James Rouse
FBs:   Barry Foster, Peyton Hillis, Bruce Maxwell
TEs:   Hunter Henry, D.J. Williams, Charles Clay
WRs:   Anthony Lucas, Chuck Dicus, Jarius Wright
WRs:   Lance Alworth, James Shibest, Bobby Crockett
KR:   Felix Jones, Dennis Johnson, Bobby Joe Edmonds
PR:   Gary Anderson, Joe Adams, Ken Hatfield

Nice group. I was waiting for a Jerry Eckwood mention and another RB that comes to mind, Ike Forte......man, that guy was exciting. Ben Cowins was no slouch either.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Pork Twain

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 25, 2017, 11:20:58 pm
Depends on how you define naturally. You don't have to take steroids and HGH and other such things to be a behemoth 300+ pound line player. You just need a lot of calories, good nutrients in those calories, and a whole lot of time to devote to working out and eating. That is the biggest difference b/w today and yesterday. Nothing "unnatural" about it. Just a lot more resources today.

You argue that it is logical to make the assumption that people 20-50 pounds underweight would be able to add that weight and not lose a step. I disagree. It would be logical to assume that there'd be a similar success rate for them being able to do that as there would be today. It isn't a question of who is the most athletic. It is a question of who can remain the most athletic at a good enough size?
I would argue that there is no logical way to accurately compare across generations and the only thing being exercised is futility.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: alohawg on January 26, 2017, 12:41:39 am
Nice group. I was waiting for a Jerry Eckwood mention and another RB that comes to mind, Ike Forte......man, that guy was exciting. Ben Cowins was no slouch either.

I thought about both of those guys.  Forte, like Eckwood, battled injuries (a chronic turf toe as I recall) his last season.  And while Cowins was great, I ultimately went with Rouse.  One thing is for sure, we've had our share of great running backs over the years.  No complaints there.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 25, 2017, 11:20:58 pm

You argue that it is logical to make the assumption that people 20-50 pounds underweight would be able to add that weight and not lose a step. I disagree. It would be logical to assume that there'd be a similar success rate for them being able to do that as there would be today. It isn't a quion of who is the most athletic. It is a question of who can remain the most athletic at a good enough size?

The more I read your responses, the more I think we're actually saying the same thing. 

Professor Psychosis

Didn't read the whole thread, but I have thought about the OP before.

If Matt Jones had been born, say, 3 years later, man, how great would a Jones/McFadden/Felix/Hillis backfield have been?  I daresay we could've gotten away with Nutt's "run, run, run some more" offense in that scenario.  Probably still would've lost to USC in 2006, but I think we run the table otherwise (almost did anyway).

But then, what if Darren was born, say, 3 years later?  How incredible would a Mallett/McFadden/Childs/Adams/Wright offense have been?  Not that Knile Davis was bad or anything, but McFadden was a once-a-generation talent, and, we didn't settle on Davis as the main guy til mid-season in 2010 IIRC.  Tried to force Broderick Green as the main back early.

Fun scenarios to think about.

PonderinHog

The best then would the best now and the best now would be the best then.

Charlie Hustle

Youngsta71701

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 25, 2017, 09:47:48 am
Hillis did everything well including catch the ball out of the backfield.

Youngsta71701

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 24, 2017, 06:55:29 pm
I know you want offense, but I'm starting with the back 4 on defense. This wouldn't be a pleasant secondary to venture into.
-Kenoy Kennedy
-David Barrett
-Steve Atwater
-Ken Hamlin

Make sure you got 2 EMT crews standing by with those 4.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on January 26, 2017, 07:12:32 am
Didn't read the whole thread, but I have thought about the OP before.

If Matt Jones had been born, say, 3 years later, man, how great would a Jones/McFadden/Felix/Hillis backfield have been?  I daresay we could've gotten away with Nutt's "run, run, run some more" offense in that scenario.  Probably still would've lost to USC in 2006, but I think we run the table otherwise (almost did anyway).

But then, what if Darren was born, say, 3 years later?  How incredible would a Mallett/McFadden/Childs/Adams/Wright offense have been?  Not that Knile Davis was bad or anything, but McFadden was a once-a-generation talent, and, we didn't settle on Davis as the main guy til mid-season in 2010 IIRC.  Tried to force Broderick Green as the main back early.

Fun scenarios to think about.

McFadden on the 2010 team would have won a national championship. Knile Davis ran for 1000+ yards mostly because the defense had to cover the entire field due to Malletts arm. McFadden had Casey Dick.

Can you imagine that offense? Best in the country no doubt with Petrino. Would have beat Bama and might have beat Auburn as well in what might have been the highest scoring game ever, haha.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 25, 2017, 12:20:44 pm
I'd put some good hard cash on that he would be more than relevant now.........

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)