Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Improvements coming.

Started by Terryproy, January 19, 2017, 11:58:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: MTBrookHog on January 21, 2017, 12:37:31 pm
My question to this is why didn't these talented redshirts help improve our starters during practice during the season?

My guess? We practice like we are in shorts and shoulder pads. Barely tackle-to-the- ground type stuff. Just not very physical in practice for whatever reason and it shows in certain games.

I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not. I have seen others talk about it, and we damn sure look like it sometimes....2nd half collapses and all. Makes sense to me.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 20, 2017, 06:57:09 am
Quite a bit of improved talent redshirted last two seasons. More coming in vs. going out.
We'll be better but not "vastly improved".

CrookedSquealliry

TX HOG

I'm a teacher and I find that students and classes take on the personality of their teacher. I would assume the same for a football team and their coach, or position coach

jgphillips3

Speaking of improvements, does anyone have any idea why we are slow playing the defensive hire(s)?  I understood slow playing Rhoads had to do with telling players first and also allowing Bielema to do more recruiting since he was down an assistant.  Is it for recruiting still or is there something else at play?  It seems to be a poorly kept secret that Segrest is gone but we still haven't filled the spot vacated by the Smith/Rhoads swap.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 21, 2017, 01:54:18 pm
Speaking of improvements, does anyone have any idea why we are slow playing the defensive hire(s)?  I understood slow playing Rhoads had to do with telling players first and also allowing Bielema to do more recruiting since he was down an assistant.  Is it for recruiting still or is there something else at play?  It seems to be a poorly kept secret that Segrest is gone but we still haven't filled the spot vacated by the Smith/Rhoads swap.
I would imagine we are looking at the best combination of options.  If it is true (and I agree, it appears to be) that Segrest is gone, we will have three positions to fill.  DL coach, DB coach, and the new, 10th coach position (probably not until April, but many people are trying to hire the guy now to sit and wait).  I think prudence says take your time and get it right.  It's not like we are going to miss out on any players over it.  We are only going to take 2-3 more commits, and they are pretty much decided.

So why rush?
All Gas, No Brakes!

jgphillips3

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 21, 2017, 02:02:28 pm
I would imagine we are looking at the best combination of options.  If it is true (and I agree, it appears to be) that Segrest is gone, we will have three positions to fill.  DL coach, DB coach, and the new, 10th coach position (probably not until April, but many people are trying to hire the guy now to sit and wait).  I think prudence says take your time and get it right.  It's not like we are going to miss out on any players over it.  We are only going to take 2-3 more commits, and they are pretty much decided.

So why rush?

I don't think I suggested that they should rush.  I just was wondering why they would not be moving forward.  I'm sure there is a reason...just wonder what it is.

Hollywood870

Quote from: sowmonella on January 21, 2017, 11:33:30 am
You are 9 for 9 with negative posts. I wouldn't make any long term plans.
That's almost as bad as a 29-34 record in your first 4 seasons. Book em Danno.

factchecker

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 21, 2017, 03:26:21 pm
That's almost as bad as a 29-34 record in your first 4 seasons. Book em Danno.

Whose record is that?

Coach Bielema is 25-26.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dominicanhog

Quote from: factchecker on January 21, 2017, 04:30:04 pm
Whose record is that?

Coach Bielema is 25-26.

maybe he's already chalking up a 4-8 next year...

ChicoHog

Quote from: RebelW on January 20, 2017, 10:17:21 am
I don't believe our problem is talent. Our problem has been preparation and scheme.. We have plenty talent
Totally disagree.  None of our DBs would start on many teams in the SEC except Pulley.  When greenlaw was hurt we really lacked depth at LB.  Hopefully the D will be better in 2017.  I don't think we had but a couple of later round draft NFL players on D last year-maybe Ledbetter and Wise who was hurt a lot also.  And Agim probably but he was a freshman.

gmarv

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 21, 2017, 03:07:03 pm
I don't think I suggested that they should rush.  I just was wondering why they would not be moving forward.  I'm sure there is a reason...just wonder what it is.
I heard cbb comment on the potential for more changes after signing day,so if it is gonna happen i guess it will be then.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: gmarv on January 22, 2017, 09:43:17 am
I heard cbb comment on the potential for more changes after signing day,so if it is gonna happen i guess it will be then.

I thought his words were pretty definitive.. just not gonna happen until after signing day...

code red

I think it is impossible for our defense to be any worse.  However....vastly improved?  How do you measure vastly?  I think we will have many of the same problems early in the season as we did late in 16.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

We will be better in 2017 and it has so little to do with the players on the team.  Some players will excel, some will degress, some will stay about the same.  The staff will be a little better but not much.  But the ole HC, well, he is about to come alive.  Its year 5 and soon a major contract year with an AD just dying to find a reason, any reason, to land this HC for another 5 to 8 years.  He must have at least a .500 season and hopefully go .500 in conference.  If the big boy happens to reach 9 wins, bet he receives a blank agreement and can fill it out himself.  I think we'll see BB, look alive, trim his beard more often, actually coach a bit, he might even holler at a staff member.  Won't be no firing, he won't go crazy and bitch someone out for screwing up.  But I think this might be the year he actually leads the team a bit.  Expect to see a favorable difference.

1highhog

Quote from: farmhawg on January 21, 2017, 08:39:24 am
On corn dog day?

Uhh no, some ole lady may get my corn dog confused with the Sonic ones unfortunately.

murthage

Biggus.....

I thought Beanum has opted to not play next year.

nchogg

One thing I want to see is a backup QB that can step in and run the offense. How many teams have we played that a backup QB has come in and burned us. Too many and we have the talent at QB to do the same. I want to see a backup that can light up the field. DE is a good QB coach but lets keep a backup ready. I remember when RM got hurt in the Auburn game and TW came in and lit it up and we have the talent but we need them ready.

redleg

Quote from: Terryproy on January 19, 2017, 11:58:02 pm
The Hogs will be vastly improved on Offense and defense. Williams and Whaley will both gain 1200 yards and the defense will be the best in the SEC West. Whaley is about to explode, look out.
Uh...no.
Williams and Whaley should both get 1000 yards, I'll give you that one. Arkansas' O-Line should be pretty good in 2017, what with 4 starters back. Austin Allen will hopefully be like his brother and improve upon his previous season, which could translate to being one of the top 2 or 3 QB's in the SEC. But as long as Hurts is playing for Bama, he'll be considered the 1st Team all conference signal caller...whether he is or not. Allen's season will hinge upon if the Hogs coaches can find suitable replacements for all of the receivers they just lost. Cornelius is back, but he's the only wideout with significant playing time. Austin Cantrell looked good at times at TE, but he hasn't shown a lot of route running ability yet. Most of what you wrote must be your confidence in the 2017 signing class, specifically the Juco WR's and TE. They are unproven commodities right now. Could they turn out well? Of course. But it usually takes half a season or a whole season for new players (High school or Juco) to get use to the speed of the game.
A vastly improved defense is likely, especially considering how awful they were last year, they really don't have anywhere to go but UP ↑. But best in the SEC West? Nah. I'm selling that hype. They are gonna have to prove it on the field. Could they be 3rd or 4th best in the West? Yep. And it could be by only a small margin that they finish third or fourth. But Alabama and LSU will be tops, followed closely by A&M or Auburn.
I like your fandom...and I REALLY hope you're right...but it's not realistic.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Youngsta71701

January 24, 2017, 01:38:06 pm #69 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:50:18 am by Youngsta71701
The Hogs will be vastly improved on Offense and defense. Williams and Whaley will both gain 1200 yards and the defense will be the best in the SEC West. Whaley is about to explode, look out.
I love your optimism. :razorback:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hoggish1

I predict Whaley and RWII both over 1,400 yards. WPS!

NoogaHog

Quote from: 1highhog on January 23, 2017, 10:37:32 pm
Uhh no, some ole lady may get my corn dog confused with the Sonic ones unfortunately.

???
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

OhioHog

I like how you think!

elviscat

factchecker

Quote from: elviscat on January 24, 2017, 04:31:23 pm
This all speculation.

By Devwah's uncle.  I appreciate the insight of a family member vs. a random board member.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jgphillips3

Quote from: factchecker on January 24, 2017, 04:34:30 pm
By Devwah's uncle.  I appreciate the insight of a family member vs. a random board member.

Exactly.  I think some of these posters don't realize that is his Uncle.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: TX HOG on January 21, 2017, 01:19:21 pm
I'm a teacher and I find that students and classes take on the personality of their teacher. I would assume the same for a football team and their coach, or position coach

You are so right.

TX HOG

East TN HAWG

Me too.  I don't think Smith showed much emotion or intensity.  CPR does.   

CrookedSquealliry

Our fans think we are the only team that will improve.

Pork Twain

Quote from: TX HOG on January 21, 2017, 01:19:21 pm
Are you saying that student switch personalities for each class?  ;)  I would think it would be more-so in football as there is only the position coach, DC and HC to model.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RedyorNot

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 21, 2017, 01:54:18 pm
"I'll be very surprised if anything happens before signing day," Bielema said Saturday. "But I've been shocked before.
"One of the things that always comes into play is the domino effect of the league above us. A lot of times when there's huge transition there and people are locked into certain things until the Super Bowl's wrapped up, it's kind of always a domino effect."

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on January 24, 2017, 04:34:30 pm

As well as I, but it's still speculation.

HoggyCat

We were good enough to win 7 in '13, 9 in '14, 10 each of last 2 seasons. One common thread throughout all the assistant/coordinator changes is Bielema. I see no reason to think '17 would be any different. The offense will be as good IF something miraculous happens with the OL. Defense... who knows; but losing Hackett & Beanum won't help when switching  to the 3-4. Bowl eligibility might be a pipe dream.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

DeltaBoy

Hope Springs Eternal.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 25, 2017, 10:14:10 am
We were good enough to win 7 in '13, 9 in '14, 10 each of last 2 seasons. One common thread throughout all the assistant/coordinator changes is Bielema. I see no reason to think '17 would be any different. The offense will be as good IF something miraculous happens with the OL. Defense... who knows; but losing Hackett & Beanum won't help when switching  to the 3-4. Bowl eligibility might be a pipe dream.
While I don't share the same optimism as some about the roster, CBB should be able to squeeze out a bowl provided nothing crazy like losing the team happens.

daprospecta

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 21, 2017, 10:39:30 am
If we go 3-4 I think that Roesler and Taylor become Linebackers. Ends will need to be a bit bigger and maybe not quite as mobile in the 3-4 set, right?

I think that if you really look at the roster we are losing a LOT on the D'Line.
Ledbetter-- Wise--Winston--Johnson--Lewis     That's 5 guys that started/played-a-lot/played.

But, you only need 3 full time players at DT and 5 at the DE spot. Sure we need some backups, but for the most part 2 guys will handle most of the load at DT (Capps and Jackson) and then 4 guys will play the most at DE ( Agim, Beanum, Guidry and Smith or Dean) Watts or Marshall could slide over to the DE spot which in my mind depends on a possible JUCO kid or a grad transfer coming in at either position.
Correct, the DE's will be glorified DT's with speed and the DT's will need to be strong and heavy.

GolfnHog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 24, 2017, 07:57:43 pm
Me too.  I don't think Smith showed much emotion or intensity.  CPR does.   

This is my biggest take away as it relates to marked improvement on defense going into next season.  PR is one that will light a fire and not mince words in the delivery. RS was just not capable of extroverted emotions  and as a result the team took on that behavioral characteristic when things went sideways. Those that are led tend to follow the examples of their leaders. I like the potential turn-around in playing sound and emotional football on D.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ricepig

Quote from: GolfnHog on January 26, 2017, 03:48:19 pm
This is my biggest take away as it relates to marked improvement on defense going into next season.  PR is one that will light a fire and not mince words in the delivery. RS was just not capable of extroverted emotions  and as a result the team took on that behavioral characteristic when things went sideways. Those that are led tend to follow the examples of their leaders. I like the potential turn-around in playing sound and emotional football on D.

Hmm.....RS was known for his colorful language at practice.

elksnort

Quote from: sowmonella on January 21, 2017, 11:33:30 am
You are 9 for 9 with negative posts. I wouldn't make any long term plans.
Hell, he will fit right in.....

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

OutlawHawg

I'm looking forward to when the wheels are falling off another big lead and Bert just stands there staring at the sky with a dumbfounded look on his face.

tophawg19

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 21, 2017, 10:39:30 am
If we go 3-4 I think that Roesler and Taylor become Linebackers. Ends will need to be a bit bigger and maybe not quite as mobile in the 3-4 set, right?

I think that if you really look at the roster we are losing a LOT on the D'Line.
Ledbetter-- Wise--Winston--Johnson--Lewis     That's 5 guys that started/played-a-lot/played.

But, you only need 3 full time players at DT and 5 at the DE spot. Sure we need some backups, but for the most part 2 guys will handle most of the load at DT (Capps and Jackson) and then 4 guys will play the most at DE ( Agim, Beanum, Guidry and Smith or Dean) Watts or Marshall could slide over to the DE spot which in my mind depends on a possible JUCO kid or a grad transfer coming in at either position.
you will have to have a minimum of 4 Nose guys and 6 or 7 DE's  ready to go. in a 3-4 the linemen get beat up a lot in the double teams . It wears them down as the season goes along .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: OutlawHawg on January 27, 2017, 07:02:48 am
I'm looking forward to when the wheels are falling off another big lead and Bret just stands there staring at the sky with a dumbfounded look on his face.

You mean this look?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: CrookedSquealliry on January 24, 2017, 08:36:23 pm
Our fans think we are the only team that will improve.
We're don't care about any other team.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 25, 2017, 10:14:10 am
I hate your pessimism. lol

Youngsta71701

gchamblee

Quote from: OutlawHawg on January 27, 2017, 07:02:48 am
I'm looking forward to when the wheels are falling off another big lead and Bret just stands there staring at the sky with a dumbfounded look on his face.

When a coach is watching what is happening on the field while also listening to conversations taking place in the headphones between other coaches, he may appear to be dumbfounded but it isn't necessarily what you interpret it to be. However, I get that you aren't really interested in accuracy if it interferes with your chance to bash on the coaching staff. I'm not defending anything this staff has done, I am simply saying your chosen item to mock is easily explained away. Plus, your post history shows that all you really do is look for/manufacture reasons to bash on the coaching staff, so I don't expect this to alter your thinking any.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on January 27, 2017, 12:01:26 pm
When a coach is watching what is happening on the field while also listening to conversations taking place in the headphones between other coaches, he may appear to be dumbfounded but it isn't necessarily what you interpret it to be. However, I get that you aren't really interested in accuracy if it interferes with your chance to bash on the coaching staff. I'm not defending anything this staff has done, I am simply saying your chosen item to mock is easily explained away. Plus, your post history shows that all you really do is look for/manufacture reasons to bash on the coaching staff, so I don't expect this to alter your thinking any.

You ever make fun of HDN gnawing on his fingernails?