Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's next for football...

Started by davehog, December 30, 2016, 12:43:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

Here's a list of things that may/should/could/will happen leading up to the first game of the 2017 season:

1. Coaching changes - I just cannot see any circumstance that there is not some staff turnover. Enos needs to stay, certain defensive coaches need to go. I don't want to see much turnover as I suspect staff turnover is being used against the Razorbacks by opposing programs - Calloway mentioned this in a recent interview.

2. Finish out recruiting - CBB really needs to land some immediate help defensive guys.  The offensive haul for the mid
term guys is impressive, but the defense needs help.  Missing out on a solid mid term defensive player Juco is a massive failure.

3. Spring practice - Will we see a 3-4 defense? A hybrid? I don't believe the drop off on defense is 100% on the players or asking them to do too much.  There is a significant percentage of not having the right scheme/coaching/right guy in the right place at the right time. 

3a. Who will be the 5th offensive line starter?  Note that I didn't note LT as there may be some position switching.  I hope Colton Jackson grabs the spot and solidifies LT in the spring as the other 4 could remain in their current positions.  But, getting the best 5 on the field may require some shuffling. 

4. Position changes - Jamario Bell & Will Gragg -- both were 4* guys coming out of HS and both are quagmired on the depth chart at TE.  I realize there are most likely other factors, but neither will see meaningful snaps in 2017.  Perhaps one or both can find a home on defense and be contributors. 

5. Attrition/Transfers - I've become confident that the attrition with CBB's program is beneficial in the grand scheme of things and I'm also confident that CBB is adept at identifying and landing transfers.  I don't know any specific names but with the proliferation of graduate transfers and the lure of immediate playing time on defense, that the Razorbacks will be an attractive program to the right player.

I realize that the bowl loss has left a wretched taste in the mouths of the fans, and undoubtedly with the coaches.  I hope the coaches use this and get a harder edge and fix some fundamental issues that are causing these frustrating performances. 

The offense has a chance to be very, very good next season, maybe even great. Like top offense in the SEC.  If the defense can be fixed to middle of the road there is a chance for a great season in 2017.  2016 never had that promise.