Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boeheim

Started by ShadowHawg, March 12, 2017, 06:46:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Just said on Espn that getting into the tournament is much harder than it has ever been.FWIW

There seems to be a lot of debate around here about whether making a bowl or the Ncaa tournament is harder. Boeheim has coached since the 70s so I find his input on the subject of making the tournament today compared with how it has been historically speaking very interesting.

rljjr

He has to say that. He's defending his program.

It may be true, but that's his motivation.

PossumFan

Well, Jimmy, it's definitely hard to get in with 18 wins, only 2 of them on the road.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 12, 2017, 06:46:33 pm
Just said on Espn that getting into the tournament is much harder than it has ever been.FWIW

There seems to be a lot of debate around here about whether making a bowl or the Ncaa tournament is harder. Boeheim has coached since the 70s so I find his input on the subject of making the tournament today compared with how it has been historically speaking very interesting.

There isn't an argument. No need to bring this up. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

3kgthog

Over 50% of football teams make a bowl. Only about 20% of basketball teams make the tournament or a play-in. Pretty cut and dry to me.

BigoBoys

Hogimus Prime

Boeheim seems to be in this position every other year lately.  It's his fault schedule better out of conference.

JONAS

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 12, 2017, 06:54:14 pm
Over 50% of football teams make a bowl. Only about 20% of basketball teams make the tournament or a play-in. Pretty cut and dry to me.

Correct.  63% of football teams make it to bowls.  20% of basketball teams make the NCAA Tournament.

husker71

they beat 3 top 10 teams.  That is not easy to do.  But they were so up and down 

Ironhawg

I don't know if Syracuse should have made the dance or not.  I have never liked Boeheim.  The guy has been the biggest whiner in college basketball for years.

HiggiePiggy

Not many have said it's harder to get into a bowl game.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 12, 2017, 08:08:30 pm
I don't know if Syracuse should have made the dance or not.  I have never liked Boeheim.  The guy has been the biggest whiner in college basketball for years.

Not all is lost for Boeheim.  They are in the NIT.

High quality field for the NIT.  It has the potential of being a very exciting tournament unlike this year's NCAAT, which has the potential of being a real dud.

Syracuse   3 wins against Top 10 ranked teams.
Clemson   3-0 against the SEC this season (just like their football team was against the SEC this season)
Alabama   Probably played the 2nd best basketball in the SEC Tournament, 2nd best after Kentucky, and Kentucky was fortunate to have won against them.
Ole Miss   Lost a tough game in the SEC Tournament, a loss that could very well have been a win (which may have gotten them into the NCAAT).

WorfHog

Amazing how the recruits have dried up after he got caught cheating. Hope the same happens to the slimeball in Lexington.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syracuse_University_athletics_scandal

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: WorfHog on March 12, 2017, 08:53:24 pm
Amazing how the recruits have dried up after he got caught cheating. Hope the same happens to the slimeball in Lexington.

Calapari has 3 more yrs in Lexington atleast then he may retire or give the NBA another shot.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfanny

Quote from: WorfHog on March 12, 2017, 08:53:24 pm

It will happen Worf..Biggest cheaters always get caught eventually. What is baffling is how some get caught and go unscathed(North Carolina, Louisville, SMU).

HF#1

He's right. It used to be win 20 games and you were likely in. Kinda like winning 6 and going to a bowl in football.  It's much tougher now with all the metrics used.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 12, 2017, 06:54:14 pm
Do the math without auto bids from non power 5 leagues. I bet it goes down to less than 15%.

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on March 12, 2017, 09:22:02 pm
He's right. It used to be win 20 games and you were likely in. Kinda like winning 6 and going to a bowl in football.  It's much tougher now with all the metrics used.

yea but that was back when teams only played about 28 regular season games, now they play 30+ and a conf tourney where they might get 2-4 more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim may know a little something about that karma. After the Orange's coach said that there was "no value in playing in Greensboro", Boeheim and the Orange have been selected to face the UNC Greensboro Spartans in the first round of the NIT tournament on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/greensborocity/status/839563546518294530

https://twitter.com/andrew_john76/status/841091617624883200
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 12, 2017, 11:12:04 pm
Syracuse's Jim Boeheim may know a little something about that karma. After the Orange's coach said that there was "no value in playing in Greensboro", Boeheim and the Orange have been selected to face the UNC Greensboro Spartans in the first round of the NIT tournament on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/andrew_john76/status/841091617624883200

now thats funny right there
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan10

Quote from: JONAS on March 12, 2017, 07:12:44 pm
Correct.  63% of football teams make it to bowls.  20% of basketball teams make the NCAA Tournament.

Only 4 teams are playing for a national championship in football, 64+ plus get to play for a NC in basketball.
Most bowl games are NIT, CBC level.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

Syracuse's rpi was like 70+. Boeheim often never leaves NY until after New Years.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2017, 11:19:17 pm
Syracuse's rpi was like 70+. Boeheim often never leaves NY until after New Years.

He doesn't have too though.  Very similar to an LSU footballs schedule. They hardly ever leave Lousisana for football in the out of conference. 

The ACC is good enough that if you can win you're home games and a few road games you should be in.  Syracuse just didn't win enough of those early season games and ended with an RPI of 84

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 13, 2017, 12:44:22 am

He doesn't have too though.  Very similar to an LSU footballs schedule. They hardly ever leave Lousisana for football in the out of conference. 

The ACC is good enough that if you can win you're home games and a few road games you should be in.  Syracuse just didn't win enough of those early season games and ended with an RPI of 84

I agree he does not have to, but every so often it comes back to bite him, like this year. This year his team just was not very good, and they got left out. It was going to happen to someone on the bubble. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2017, 09:34:20 am
I agree he does not have to, but every so often it comes back to bite him, like this year. This year his team just was not very good, and they got left out. It was going to happen to someone on the bubble.

I won't defend anyone that doesn't win 20 games.  Just my thoughts. 

riccoar

Maybe, just maybe, had Jimmy beaten awful schitty teams like Georgetown, St. Johns, Boston College, and Pitt, he would not be getting trolled about Greensboro.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 12, 2017, 08:08:30 pm

Whiner and cheater. They are still on probation.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dwight_K_Shrute

The only reason people are talking about Syracuse is because Boeheim is their coach and their past success.  If you put a blind resume on them, no one would give them a second thought.  For some schools it might be harder to get into but the ACC got 9 freaking teams in.  60% of their conf made the tourney.  Hey Jim next time don't finish in the bottom 40% of your league.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 13, 2017, 10:14:31 am
The only reason people are talking about Syracuse is because Boeheim is their coach and their past success.  If you put a blind resume on them, no one would give them a second thought.  For some schools it might be harder to get into but the ACC got 9 freaking teams in.  60% of their conf made the tourney.  Hey Jim next time don't finish in the bottom 40% of your league.

You know he did the same thing last year and then made the final 4

Illinois st is the team that got screwed the most.   

hogsanity

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 14, 2017, 01:17:44 pm
You know he did the same thing last year and then made the final 4

Illinois st is the team that got screwed the most.   

The conf Ill st and WSU are in must be atrocious if a 30-4 WSU got a 10 seed and Ill st at 27-6 I think got left out.

holeinthewall

Quote from: hogsanity on March 14, 2017, 01:44:19 pm
The conf Ill st and WSU are in must be atrocious if a 30-4 WSU got a 10 seed and Ill st at 27-6 I think got left out.

Ill St HC issued a challenge to any P5 school to schedule him home and home in 17-18. Says they can't get teams to play them. And the Missouri Valley has been a very good basketball conference

You might remember Creighton winning games. Wichita St., Northern Iowa.  Too bad UALR doesn't switch to the Missouri Valley for all sports instead of just the one they do compete in.

hogsanity

Quote from: holeinthewall on March 16, 2017, 07:07:17 am
Ill St HC issued a challenge to any P5 school to schedule him home and home in 17-18. Says they can't get teams to play them. And the Missouri Valley has been a very good basketball conference

You might remember Creighton winning games. Wichita St., Northern Iowa.  Too bad UALR doesn't switch to the Missouri Valley for all sports instead of just the one they do compete in.

Funny, he is pulling the old Boise trick, make demands like home and home, then cry because no one will play you. Become road warriors like Fresno State football did, agree to go play anyone anywhere, don't demand a return game.

I know the MVC has produced some good teams, but there is still a reason that WSU is a 10 seed with 30wins.