Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12 RPI for Arkansas on ESPN

Started by -Blu, December 16, 2014, 03:59:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/8

Looks like ESPN just updated their RPIs, from here you can get a good look at your current resume.

Atlhogfan1

9-0 last season vs sub 150. Non conf SOS last season was 199. 

4-1 so far this season.  Will be interesting to see how many sub 150 teams we end up playing with our improved schedule. 

The A10 has joined the MVC in knowing how to play this game. 

Utah Valley 234 right now

NW St 236

Milwaukee 255

SEMO 317

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Upcoming stretch against RPI #'s:

Atlhogfan1

Not much mention of the BPI this season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

All the different RPI calculations are all over the lot. Hilarious.
[CENSORED]!

Danny J

Had no idea a couple of those teams RPI were that bad.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on December 16, 2014, 04:20:59 pm
Had no idea a couple of those teams RPI were that bad.

NW St is 0-5 against D1 opponents but has the 2nd highest RPI in ESPN's version of our next 4 opponents. 

teamrankings has Hogs at 19
Pomeroy rankings 32
BPI 30 

We should stick with ESPN's RPI ;D

Wisco Pig

For what it's worth, the NCAA's RPI has Arkansas at #19, as does Warren Nolan and CBS (Jerry Palm).  RealTime RPI has the Hogs at #17.

The_Iceman

Is that number about to take a big hit with these next 4 games?

Wisco Pig

It certainly will take a hit, but I don't know how big.   Half of a team's RPI comes from its opponents' average winning percentage, which currently works out to .2775 for the Hogs' next four opponents, if my math is correct.

poloprince

What is the website that was really good. It listed all the games and the chances of winning them and the chance of making the tourney? It's gone out my favorites.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Wisco Pig

You're thinking of rpiforecast.com?   If you chalk up the Hogs' next four games as wins at that website, you get a projected RPI of 34.  That's not as much of a drop as I would have thought.

poloprince

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 16, 2014, 07:20:16 pm
You're thinking of rpiforecast.com?   If you chalk up the Hogs' next four games as wins at that website, you get a projected RPI of 34.  That's not as much of a drop as I would have thought.

Thats not the site I was thinking of, but oh well.
$PoLoPrInCe$

vector4dz

poloprince

Nah, it shows the entire schedule and the chances that the team will win the game. It shows the chances of making the tourney with a certain record. Also the chances of an at large bid depending on the record and it predicts the record. If that helps.
$PoLoPrInCe$

alaback

-Blu

Quote from: poloprince on December 16, 2014, 07:57:30 pm
Nah, it shows the entire schedule and the chances that the team will win the game. It shows the chances of making the tourney with a certain record. Also the chances of an at large bid depending on the record and it predicts the record. If that helps.

You sure that's not rpiforecast?  It does most of those things you mentioned.

Rawker

Quote from: alaback on December 16, 2014, 08:16:00 pm
BPI was just released for the 1st time today.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi

Ahead of Florida for the first time in years, for a little bit anyway.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Champs04

Mike sure did improve his strength of schedule!!!!

forrest city joe

Quote from: -Blu on December 16, 2014, 03:59:09 pm
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/8

Looks like ESPN just updated their RPIs, from here you can get a good look at your current resume.

BOOM! HOG are in very good shape. we will be in the Dance.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on December 17, 2014, 08:47:37 am
south carolina ahead of us
Maybe SC is a good team this year.Frank Martin is a hell of a coach.

forrest city joe

And a 31 BPI even after the Clemson loss. that's good too. we are in great shape right now. all we have to do is keep winning.

Champs04

With this schedule we should win 24.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Champs04 on December 17, 2014, 04:34:28 pm
With this schedule we should win 24.

We could make the tourney with the "best" wins coming against a Markus Kennedy-less SMU, a home win over Dayton and regular season finale win at home over LSU if we get to that 23-24 range.  We only play UK and Florida once and both on the road and for this exercise put them in the loss column.  Only the one game against LSU at home.  The only way to have made the schedule "easier" perhaps would have been sent FL and UK to BWA.  But we played the numbers game better this season in the non conference and we'll float near the top so to speak of the SEC and make the tourney. 

3of5-2

If we get in by winning 24 games or back in because the SEC sucks, I don't care, as long as we get in.

MemphisBossHog

Well after the Milwaukee blowout, we are #28 in the BPI at ESPN's site

And we are #17 in the RPI

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI

our strength of schedule seems to be around 57-61.  Is that all that good?  I thought Mike was wanting to upgrade the out of conference schedule.  Maybe that IS an upgrade over last years.  Anyway, those are the numbers as of today.

checkraiser88

We definitely can't afford any more bad losses this year. The one against Clemson stings, their RPI sits at 154..

The_Iceman

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 24, 2014, 07:59:47 am

our strength of schedule seems to be around 57-61.  Is that all that good?  I thought Mike was wanting to upgrade the out of conference schedule.  Maybe that IS an upgrade over last years.  Anyway, those are the numbers as of today.

We tried to upgrade the schedule, but some of the teams we scheduled ended up not being as good as they were last year.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 24, 2014, 09:23:47 am
We tried to upgrade the schedule, but some of the teams we scheduled ended up not being as good as they were last year.

The bad part is, 2 of the teams we played (Iowa State and Dayton) have since kicked key players off of their teams, which will probably hurt their ability to win as many games as they would've.

The Hogfather

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 24, 2014, 08:59:51 am
We definitely can't afford any more bad losses this year. The one against Clemson stings, their RPI sits at 154..

That one killed us, especially since we got killed by Iowa State (who kicked one of their best players off of their team), one of our better wins is Dayton (who kicked 2 starters off of their team), and we won't have many notable games in conference to make a difference in whether or not we make the NCAAT.  The ones we do have are on the road.  We have to put up a gaudy SEC record.

Rawker

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 24, 2014, 09:23:47 am

Yes - the Xbox mentality is rampant in Hogville, seemingly with the thought that we look at how good a team is, then schedule for the weekend.  Milwaukee was a 21-win tournament team in 2014, Dayton was an Elite Eight team, Iona had a good year and went NIT, and of course SMU was the most notable snub of the NCAAs.  Even with some drop-off in teams from last year, our SOS last year around this time was in the 100s, so technically it's still an improvement.  Honestly, until some more very reliable horses come in (Whitt and Monk types), you wouldn't want a SOS any better than what it was thought to be going into the season.  You can have a SOS of 2, but if you're 4-7 from those games, you're not staring at an NCAA bid.  As is it, we have just 1 loss that could have been avoided, so there is still lots of time and room for a few losses. 

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 17, 2014, 10:26:20 am
Maybe SC is a good team this year.Frank Martin is a hell of a coach.

they are average. frank martin is a heck of a coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CapitalCityHawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 24, 2014, 09:27:47 am
The bad part is, 2 of the teams we played (Iowa State and Dayton) have since kicked key players off of their teams, which will probably hurt their ability to win as many games as they would've.

Dayton beat GA Tech last night. Pretty solid win.

Danny J

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 24, 2014, 07:59:47 am

A lot better than this time last year and as a whole going into conference play the SEC as a whole is ranked much higher in RPI as well. So if we were to do a repeat of last year then we would likely make the tournament simply because of our SOS and RPI. So we are ahead of where we were last year.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: poloprince on December 16, 2014, 07:57:30 pm
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the one posted by WizardofHogz last year. I can't remember the exact location but it was on cbssports somewhere.

Adam Stokes

I think the staff did a great job setting up the schedule, as mentioned earlier many teams simply haven't performed to where everyone was thinking they would.  It's still a long season and there is time to make gains on SOS.  Our non-con SOS has been looking better the past week or so because the teams have been doing better, but we are still only projected to be Top 40% or so in non-con SOS.  At the beginning of the season it was expected to be Top 50 or Top 15%, which is as good as you want for a team that hasn't made the tournament in a number of years, but again our opponents have had injuries/not played well.

jry04

Go 12-6 in conference and we have a rpi in the 30s. That will be good enough for us to debate where we are seeded on selection sunday, and not whether we are in or not. 23 in the magic number. Espn's rpi has us better than the actual rpi. Regardless, we are still a top 25 rpi team even with the Clemson loss. We are not taking hits for playing these teams, but more for our former opponents losing. Iona and North Texas lost some bad games the other night and we dropped 6 spots just because of that. Then Dayton and Iona won yesterday and we jumped 3 spots.

Rawker

Quote from: jry04 on December 24, 2014, 08:55:04 pm
Go 12-6 in conference and we have a rpi in the 30s. That will be good enough for us to debate where we are seeded on selection sunday, and not whether we are in or not. 23 in the magic number. Espn's rpi has us better than the actual rpi. Regardless, we are still a top 25 rpi team even with the Clemson loss. We are not taking hits for playing these teams, but more for our former opponents losing. Iona and North Texas lost some bad games the other night and we dropped 6 spots just because of that. Then Dayton and Iona won yesterday and we jumped 3 spots.

Went to NT, and watched as they beat Creighton in the Super Pit a couple of days ago.  That was great win for NT, but then they negate it with a terrible loss to Prairie View.  That's CBB though....always keeps you wondering how a team beats an A-team and then loses to Z-team.  I was rooting for NT to show up ready to play when they played the Hogs, but maybe not rooting for them to do as well as they did 3/4 of that game.  BTW - Interesting to note that LSU, AR, and GA are all right next to each other on DailyPRI.  I think @GA might suck, but I hope not.

jry04

Quote from: Rawker on December 24, 2014, 11:21:25 pm
Went to NT, and watched as they beat Creighton in the Super Pit a couple of days ago.  That was great win for NT, but then they negate it with a terrible loss to Prairie View.  That's CBB though....always keeps you wondering how a team beats an A-team and then loses to Z-team.  I was rooting for NT to show up ready to play when they played the Hogs, but maybe not rooting for them to do as well as they did 3/4 of that game.  BTW - Interesting to note that LSU, AR, and GA are all right next to each other on DailyPRI.  I think @GA might suck, but I hope not.
Georgia is going to be a really tough game. They are a decent team. We are certainly more talented, but they will be our toughest test outside of UF and UK. I do not expect to win there.

rzrbackramsfan

I could kind of seeing us win at Florida.  Kentucky might have a breakdown too, it's possible.