Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou has hired Kim Anderson -OR- Coach Anderson returns to Mizzou

Started by jbcarol, April 28, 2014, 03:48:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kim Anderson will hire a new strength coach for the Missouri basketball team this summer.

QuoteMatt Herring, whose hiring was celebrated as a coup two years ago because of his experience working with back-to-back national-championship teams at Florida and with the San Antonio Spurs, is being replaced as the Tigers' strength and conditioning coach after two seasons in Columbia.

"Mizzou men's basketball is moving in a new direction with its strength and conditioning program," read a statement from the school. "We thank Matt Herring for his contributions the past two seasons and wish him the best in the future."

Missouri on Friday posted a listing on the university's job site for "Assistant Athletic Director — Athletic Performance — Men's Basketball," a formality in the process of filling the position.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik May 20

Steve Walentik Retweeted Mizzou Basketball

#Mizzou's hired a new strengh (sic) coach, Nick Michael, who spent the past [season] at Rice. He replaces Matt Herring.

jbcarol

Anderson apologetic for how first two years have gone at Mizzou

QuoteTigers were a combined 19-44 the last two seasons. Mizzou recently implemented a postseason ban that kept them out of the 2016 SEC Tournament following an NCAA investigation into violations committed before Anderson took the helm.

"Obviously, the two years have been difficult," Anderson told The Columbia Tribune's Daniel Brenner. "There have been a lot of challenges. Nobody is more disappointed than me, but nobody is more committed and passionate than me to get it back to where our fans want it to be.

"It is a process. I'm sorry. I wish you could do it in one year."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Steve_Walentik/status/739446363461537792

QuoteKim Anderson will have his first chance to mold his 2016-17 team this week with summer school starting and the Tigers allowed to begin individual workouts:

"I think with the new guys we're probably going to spend time working on fundamentals, working on skill set, but we're also going to do more work defensively, as well as maybe installing some stuff offensively for a couple reasons. First of all, you've got that opportunity to maybe jump ahead. Second of all, we're going to have 10 practices in late July, early August before we go to Italy...

"I think we've got good quickness. We've got good athleticism. Again, the one negative is we probably don't have the depth inside — experienced depth. I do think that Mitchell Smith is a long, lanky guy, but he's got to gain some weight, and Reed Nikko is a big-body guy. He's more of your traditional back-to-the-basket guy. I do think we have good athleticism at the wings and at the guard spot...

" We could add one or two. I mean, surprisingly this time of year there's some kids out there that are very intriguing right now. I would anticipate us bringing some more kids in to visit. Again, whether or not we sign them obviously depends on if they want to come and if we want them to come. But this is a little different than usual. There are some young men out there. There's some guys with size. There's some guards still. Will we sign one? Two? I don't know. It just kind of depends on what happens. If you sign two, you put yourself in a position where you have zero scholarships on paper (for the 2017 class). That's all stuff that we've spent a great deal of time discussing internally. If it's the right guy, we'd probably sign him...

"Yeah, the big would be the No. 1 priority for me, for us. I think we just feel like we need more size. Can we live without it? Sure, but I think if we could get somebody that had some size, I think that would help us on the inside."

jbcarol

Anderson getting to know his new roster

QuoteKim Anderson and his players have been at it a week already, doing the work they hope will help them finally turn around the fortunes of the Missouri basketball program after the Tigers went 19-44 in first two seasons.

"I've been very impressed with the work ethic of our guys," the coach said as he met with reporters Tuesday afternoon. "I've been very thankful for the leadership that some of our older guys have developed or demonstrated. I've really liked the competition that I've seen in practice so far."

Teams that play small are constantly challenged to defend in the post and to rebound. To be successful, they also have to be able to make opponents pay with strong perimeter shooting, an area where Missouri struggled a year ago.

"I think we have good shooters," Anderson said. "As coach used to say, I just hope we have some good makers because I think that's a big, big part of what we need to do. We didn't shoot the ball well a year ago, and that certainly has to improve. We've got to score more points."

• Though Anderson maintained he'd be comfortable going into the fall with the roster he has now, he said his preference would be to add another big man, and he did not rule out the possibility the Tigers could still use both of their available scholarships and perhaps add another guard.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik 2h2 hours ago

Kim Anderson said #Mizzou's still actively recruiting to add to 2016 freshman class, said "pool is not as great this time of the summer."

Anderson said if #Mizzou hasn't used open scholarships by late July, early August, it will probably be holding onto them.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/courtside_view/anderson-on-recruiting-scheduling-and-italy-during-sec-teleconference/article_ed785134-7768-5693-bba1-c6850f55670c.html

jbcarol

Kim Anderson said Monday that he still hoped to add a player to the Missouri basketball team's roster for the upcoming season.

On Tuesday, the Tigers secured a verbal commitment from Jakoby Kemp, a 6-foot-9, 200-pound forward from Layton High School in Utah.

Hector Marquez, one of Kemp's coaches with the Salt Lake Rebels AAU program, said Missouri only began its pursuit earlier this month as the staff exhausted all available avenues to bolster its roster.

Kemp, whose first name is Kedric but goes by Jakoby, also drew interest late in the recruiting process from Memphis, LSU, TCU and Southern Mississippi.

"The reason he kind of flew under the radar is he didn't play AAU ball in the summer going into his senior year," Marquez said. "I would say maybe three weeks ago Missouri started calling him, and we started working with the coaching staff, getting film, making sure everything was kind of in line. It just kind of worked out. It was the best situation for him, and the coaching staff felt that he had a good enough ceiling for them to take him.

"I think that Missouri got a kid who's got just like an unlimited ceiling. He's very skilled right now as a barely 18-year-old, so development-wise, the sky's the limit. He's 200 pounds. For him to put 25 pounds on before the season starts, it's almost 100 percent doable just because of his body frame."

He has athletic genes. His older brother, Marcus, was the leading receiver for the Hawaii football team last fall, hauling in 36 catches for 563 yards...

Kemp had been a wing player but grew at least 3 inches after his junior season, when he helped Layton to a state championship in Utah's largest classification.

He averaged 12.6 points and 6.6 rebounds in 25 games as a senior, according to stats from The Deseret News. The paper named him an honorable-mention all-state selection.

Marquez, who's worked with Kemp the past 2½ years, said he's most comfortable facing the basket.

Anderson has not ruled out adding one more player, or the Tigers could withhold their remaining scholarship and absorb the reduction they must take either this season or next as one of the penalties in their NCAA infractions case.

If he delays the penalty another year, Anderson will have all 12 available scholarships on the 2017-18 roster already promised before signing a 2017 recruit.

Missouri is in pursuit of several highly ranked prospects in that class, including 6-11 forward Jeremiah Tilmon, a five-star prospect form East St. Louis, Ill., now playing at La Lumiere Prep School in LaPorte, Ind.

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 19h19 hours ago

In the last 12 months, Missouri has lost its president, chancellor, AD, football coach, and baseball coach.

Anderson was apparently not immediately available for comment.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein Verified account
‏@JonRothstein

Missouri's Kim Anderson will hire Loyola's Emmanuel Dildy as an assistant, source told @CBSSports. Replaces Corey Tate. Deep Chicago ties.

jbcarol

Tod Palmer ‏@todpalmer Aug 5

Here's the bummer for Dildy. Joined Mizzou too late for Italy trip. Left Loyola too soon for its Spain trip next week. #PassportStampDenied

jbcarol

Anderson encouraged by what he saw during tour of Italy

QuoteWe wanted to play faster, so we worked on that quite a bit during the 10 practices we had. Defensively, we probably suffered a bit, but I thought offensively they improved.

We've talked about this for two years, where we want to create this culture. And we got it going a little bit but really not good enough, obviously. Now I think we're closer to creating the culture we wanted to. We have a group of guys where we, as a staff, recruited every one of them. It allows us to know them better, to know their backgrounds, to know their families, to know the type of people they are, to know how to coach them. That, to me, will hopefully be a big plus as we move forward.

As a coach, you're always trying to find these ways to bring your team together, create good chemistry. So you do different things. We've gone to Camp Clark with the National Guard. We've gone to Lazer Lanes and gone bowling, or we've gone to my house and played bean-bag toss. We've gone to Memorial Stadium and played flag football.

I don't think anything compares to being together for 10 days in a foreign country, learning about the country itself. Being on your own or with three or four guys going into a restaurant, or going to the Vatican or wherever it is —

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/799389354942746626

QuoteMissouri basketball team's first major test of the season almost became its biggest win in three years under Kim Anderson. The Tigers took No. 11 Xavier to overtime Thursday at the Tire Pros Invitational in Orlando, Fla., but unraveled in the final minute of an 83-82 loss.

Edmond Sumner's free throw in the final second of overtime was the difference as the Tigers (1-1) couldn't get off one last heave to beat the buzzer. Sumner got to the foul line when Terrence Phillips fouled him trying to deflect a pass on Xavier's last possession.

"It's a learning experience for us," Missouri guard Frankie Hughes said by phone after scoring a game-high 24 points. "Knowing that we're young, we've got to be patient and see how we bounce back in tomorrow's game. We fought extremely hard, knowing Xavier was a tough team and well coached. We just have to bounce back from it and take this as a positive not a negative."

Missouri, now with 28 consecutive losses away from Mizzou Arena, plays Davidson (1-1) at 10:30 a.m. St. Louis time in Friday's second-round game.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 19h19 hours ago

Some less-than-ideal final possessions in this Missouri-Xavier game. Both included aimless dribbling and contested 3-pointers.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/817858888443764739

QuoteATHENS, Ga. •  Missouri showed some fire in its first true road game of 2017, but Georgia was equipped with more extinguishers.

For the second straight game, the Tigers took a lead into halftime Saturday — this time accompanied by a scuffle between both teams — and for the second straight game, Kim Anderson's team squandered momentum in a 71-66 loss at Stegeman Coliseum, MU's 27th consecutive defeat on an opponents' home floor.

Unlike the others, this game's most interesting scene unfolded after the buzzer when tempers boiled over at halftime and staffers and players had to be separated before a brawl erupted. In the second half, with the home crowd of 8,635 in a fully throated froth, Georgia channeled the arena's emotions into more baskets.

"We knew they'd make a run," Anderson said. "Of course, they did."

In their sixth straight loss, the Tigers (5-9, 0-2 SEC) went ahead by a point with 7:20 left, but Georgia (10-5, 2-1) stormed back with a 12-0 run and never lost control. The Tigers were ahead on the scoreboard for nearly 20 minutes—more than the victorious Bulldogs — but remain winless in true road games under Anderson, now in his third season at MU.

This one, though, produced a different response from the Tigers. A measured glimmer of optimism shined on Mizzou's resolve...

https://twitter.com/SBNationGIF/status/817811684542791681

jbcarol

Danny Jones ‏@daniel_m_jones Jan 7

Game story up... Not even a shoving match at halftime could end MU's 27-game road losing streak in a 71-66 loss: http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/bulldogs-top-tigers-after-halftime-scrap/article_82731136-a13f-5fdf-8ce6-c6d4603ad82a.html ...

QuoteMissouri basketball team showed some fight on Saturday at Georgia, but after a halftime skirmish that included assistant coaches squaring off, the Bulldogs woke up and handed the Tigers a 71-66 loss.

It was Missouri's 27th consecutive road loss and its 24th straight road loss in the Southeastern Conference.

The Tigers led by six points after a sloppy first half in which they scored 14 points off 12 Georgia turnovers. MU's Jordan Barnett missed a late 3-pointer, and Georgia's Yante Maten pulled down the rebound and held the ball as the buzzer sounded. Missouri's Jordan Geist tried to yank the ball away from Maten, which prompted two Bulldogs to bump Geist on their way to the locker room.

Heated words were exchanged. Georgia director of basketball operations Kent Davison put his hands on Missouri guard Trevor Glassman as he tried to keep the Tigers away from the Bulldogs. Missouri assistant coach Steve Shields objected to that and tried to forcefully remove Davison from the Missouri contingent. Eventually, another Georgia assistant picked Davison up and carried him out of the way.

Television cameras then caught MU Coach Kim Anderson shouting at a Georgia assistant before finally convening with Bulldogs Coach Mark Fox. The teams then went to the locker room, and technical fouls went to Shields and Davison entering the second half.

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 8h8 hours ago

Six teams from the six high-major conferences are under .500: Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, DePaul, St. John's, Oregon State

Arkansas loses at home to Mississippi State. Next up for Hogs, Mizzou comes into Bud Walton at 5-10, 0-3 in SEC.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/820292008132706305

QuoteCOLUMBIA, MO. • Kim Anderson promised lineup changes after Missouri's latest loss to Illinois in the Braggin' Rights Game, and he's since adopted the Jordan Rules.

In Missouri's next game, he plugged junior transfer Jordan Barnett into the starting lineup along with sophomore transfer Jordan Geist. The Tigers (5-10, 0-3 Southeastern Conference) are still stuck on a seven-game losing streak heading into Saturday's visit to Arkansas (12-4, 1-3), but the Jordans have remade the rotation, adding some elements Mizzou lacked early this season.

Barnett, a 6-7 swingman who spends most of his time on the perimeter, has supplied some scoring punch to one of the worst offensive teams in the country. Since becoming a starter, the former CBC star has averaged a team-best 17 points and 9.3 rebounds a game. A rarely used reserve his first year and a half at Texas, Barnett is still easing into his role — sometimes too passively for Anderson's liking.

Anderson snapped at Barnett during Tuesday's loss to Auburn when he passed up shots designed for him.

"I told him," Anderson said, "'You don't realize how good you can be.'"

Barnett, a 4.0 student at CBC, has all the qualities coaches crave in a model student-athlete, but there's one ingredient Anderson wants to see more...

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter 42m42 minutes ago

Halftime: Arkansas 50, Missouri 36. Last time Tigers gave up 100 points: 2-7-11, lost at Kansas 103-86

jbcarol

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter Jan 16

Kim Anderson on improved 2nd half at Arkansas: I'm not into moral victories. I hope we gained some confidence and win a game at some point.

jbcarol

SFW/S:

https://twitter.com/ByCasagrande/status/839704953639796736

Tod Palmer‏Verified account @todpalmer

Anderson: "I probably yelled some words I shouldn't have, but ... hey ... what are they going to do to me?"

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway‏ @gatorhoops 7h7 hours ago

Mizzou coach Kim Anderson, "If you ask me when I knew I was going to be fired I'd say the 1st day I took the job. There were challenges."

Mizzou coach Kim Anderson clarifies it's the end of his career ...at Mizzou, "I'm not going away dead."

Mizzou coach Kim Anderson, "When I was hired, I was asked to stabilize the program, and it took too long."

jbcarol