Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TN Vols' Cuonzo Martin reported to California

Started by Doug, April 15, 2014, 12:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·29 secs
Hart said he met with Cuonzo for 1.5 hours the day the team returned from the NCAAt. Said he offered Zo a "significant reward."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 12:48:06 pm
Does one Final Four outweigh multiple tournament runs?

If you offered gave 10 coaches the choice between Tennessee and Wichita State, how many chose Wichita State?

WSU has been to two final fours that I can remember.

donkey

You know what would NOT be fun?  If Brad Stevens ended up leaving the Celtics and going to Knoxville.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·2 mins
Hart: "It was a tough year for Cuonzo and Roberta. There were a lot of distractions. You know what they were. You reported on them."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Iceman

Quote from: donkey on April 15, 2014, 01:35:12 pm
You know what would NOT be fun?  If Brad Stevens ended up leaving the Celtics and going to Knoxville.

Not gonna happen. Brad Stevens is going to get the chance to rebuild Boston.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP ·13 mins
Hart said he did not know Cuonzo was involved with the Cal job until this morning.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·2 hrs
I was planning to leave town today. At 2 p.m. For a few days. Go. To. Hell. Everyone.

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·1 hr
I'm nothing if not candid. There are times I absolutely hate this place.

Brass Knob

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 15, 2014, 01:46:27 pm
Not gonna happen. Brad Stevens is going to get the chance to rebuild Boston.

Even if he got fired he would have far better offers to return to the college ranks than Tennessee.

jbcarol

April 15, 2014, 01:55:38 pm #58 Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:07:28 pm by jbcarol
Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·3m
#Vols current leading scorer RT @J_Rich1: Best of luck to coach at Cal. Did what he had to do

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS ·33m
That UT players seem to be publicly siding with Cuonzo Martin should tell you they didn't like the way their coach was treated.

Jarnell Stokes ‏@JarnellStokes ·40m
@GaryParrishCBS agreed

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·8 mins
That wraps up the Dave Hart press conference about Cuonzo Martin leaving for Cal. Get caught up here: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2014/apr/15/espn-cuonzo-martin-leaving-ut-california-press-con/ ... #Vols

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 12:39:49 pm
And Wichita St. is a better program now than Tennessee has ever been.

I tend to agree with this. UT has been to 1 elite 8 ever.  Before Bruce Pearl they were never anything.

And they have had great players and still Sucked.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 15, 2014, 01:31:01 pm
WSU was always a better program than TN...

WSU does not have football looking over the shoulder of BB like Tenner has. Men's BB is the TOP sport at WSU and probably always has been even when WSU had football before.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jackrabbit Hog

Living in Tennessee, I get a pretty close up look on things here, not only from the media but also from friends who are long time fans.  Say what you will about Martin, but he absolutely did not deserve the crap he had to deal with during his last couple of years at UT.  And he handled it all with class.  If Tennessee loses a recruiting class and can't find a top tier replacement as coach, then they are getting exactly what they deserve.  Martin got no love from the fans and no support from the administration.  They didn't want to keep him so there's no way they should act shocked that he took another job.

I hope he does well at Cal.  And I hope Tennessee sinks back to the bottom of the SEC for a few years. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

Dylan ‏@The_Dylan_Lane ·2h
IT'S OKAY JORDAN WE DIDN'T WANT HIM BACK IT'S COOL MAN."@JordyMac52: Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return."

Jordan McRae ‏@JordyMac52 ·2 hrs
@The_Dylan_Lane point exactly

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Paul

I'd pick living in Northern California over Knoxville any time!

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·2m
Talked to father of #Vols 5-star G Robert Hubbs. Says his son is still a Vol and wants to see who UT hires before locking in anything final

The Boar War

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 01:10:34 pm
Jordan McRae ‏@JordyMac52 ·24m
Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return.

Boom goes the dynamite

The_Iceman

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 02:28:56 pm
Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·2m
Talked to father of #Vols 5-star G Robert Hubbs. Says his son is still a Vol and wants to see who UT hires before locking in anything final

Another Frank Haith recruit?

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·9m
#Vols signee C.J. Turman found out from HS coach. "I'm going to have to sit down and think about it," he said when asked about his future.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·50m
#Vols AD Dave Hart "surprised" by Cuonzo Martin taking the job at Cal: (FREE READ) http://bit.ly/1eFgqZx  #bolts

jbcarol

Reggie Miller ‏@ReggieMillerTNT ·31m
Congrats to new California Bears Men's BB Coach Cuonzo Martin, "One man's trash is another man's treasure".... You got a gem Cal

Cheryl Miller's brother

jbcarol

Cal Bears ‏@CalAthletics ·27m
You can watch coach Martin's press conference today at 2:15pm PT on @Pac12Networks and online here: http://goo.gl/9SF3tQ

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·1m
UT executive senior associate athletic director Jon Gilbert will be in charge of the #Vols hoops until interim coach is named.

jbcarol

The Tennessean ‏@Tennessean ·2h
Social media reaction to Cuonzo Martin leaving the #Vols for #Cal http://tnne.ws/1qEY1O4

Hugh Francis@hfrncis Retweeted by @batman
"Tennessee is where I want to be." -Cuonzo Martin, April 1, 2014. Most elaborate April Fools joke of all time. @GaryParrishCBS

Kory Keys@KoryKeys Retweeted by @batman
By the way, props to Cuonzo Martin. Get while the gettin's good and stay one step ahead of the posse. Savvy.

Jon Solomon@jonsol Retweeted by @batman
Cuonzo Martin clearly wanted out of Knoxville. Can't blame him after 36K fans signed petition wanting Pearl back.

-Blu

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 01:55:38 pm
Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·3m
#Vols current leading scorer RT @J_Rich1: Best of luck to coach at Cal. Did what he had to do

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS ·33m
That UT players seem to be publicly siding with Cuonzo Martin should tell you they didn't like the way their coach was treated.

Jarnell Stokes ‏@JarnellStokes ·40m
@GaryParrishCBS agreed

Wow this says a lot.

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond @GabeDeArmond  ·  2h 
Cuonzo signs new deal, gets a commit, leaves next day. Bar raised for coaches' exits.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  2h 
You know who would do well at Tennessee? Frank Martin. Recruit, play aggressive style and not give a crap what the fans/media say.

-Blu

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 02:55:06 pm
Jon Solomon@jonsol Retweeted by @batman
Cuonzo Martin clearly wanted out of Knoxville. Can't blame him after 36K fans signed petition wanting Pearl back.

Wow, didn't know they did him like that.  Happy for Martin to get a good job.  I read the Vol 247 message board a couple times during the year, and the fans were just nasty towards him. 

I bet they feel so silly now.  Not only do they not get Pearl back, they get the pleasure to face him every single year now.  And, the coach they wanted gone, just lead them to a sweet 16, now he really is gone, and their best player just declared for the draft.  Not a good day to be a Vol fan at all.

Anybody got any speculation on who the next coach will be?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Paul on April 15, 2014, 02:28:43 pm

Technically it is central California bay area and MUCH more expensive to live in then eastern tenn. I bet he can afford it though. Knoxville is a good city except for all that d!@% orange everywhere. As for Berkeley I can take it or leave it. It's nothing special except the usually mild year round weather.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 15, 2014, 01:34:56 pm
WSU has been to two final fours that I can remember.

That has nothing to do with what he said. He said Wichita State right now (meaning under Marshall) is better than Tennessee has ever been. A Final Four in the '80s does not apply.

EDIT: Take that back -- A Final Four in 1965 does not apply.

Hawg Red

Wichita State and Tennessee over the last 20 years:

Tournament Appearances
Wichita State - 4
Tennessee - 11

Sweet 16s
Wichita State - 2
Tennessee - 5

Elite 8s
Wichita State - 1
Tennessee - 1

Final Four
Wichita State - 1
Tennessee - 0

But, definitely, Wichita State was better in the 1960s.

latrops

Quote from: -Blu on April 15, 2014, 02:59:03 pm
Wow, didn't know they did him like that.  Happy for Martin to get a good job.  I read the Vol 247 message board a couple times during the year, and the fans were just nasty towards him. 

I bet they feel so silly now.  Not only do they not get Pearl back, they get the pleasure to face him every single year now.  And, the coach they wanted gone, just lead them to a sweet 16, now he really is gone, and their best player just declared for the draft.  Not a good day to be a Vol fan at all.

Anybody got any speculation on who the next coach will be?

I suspect most Vol fans who weren't Martin fans two months ago still have a relatively low opinion of him.  He was an underwhelming hire who had been mediocre or worse until the final six games of the regular season.  He finished strong...but many had already made up their mind about him.   There is a reason fan and administration support was tepid or worse...he didn't do anything until this March.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Paul on April 15, 2014, 02:28:43 pm
Well I love living outside of knoxville, I just hate vols fans. Things like this make life even more enjoyable
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 03:20:07 pm
That has nothing to do with what he said. He said Wichita State right now (meaning under Marshall) is better than Tennessee has ever been. A Final Four in the '80s does not apply.

EDIT: Take that back -- A Final Four in 1965 does not apply.

Right now as of today.

WSU- strong program great spot for a coach with support from boosters and fans.

TENN- middle of the pack program, players siding with the HC who just left, stories about boosters hampering the HC ability to do a good job.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

roothog229

I may be wrong but I don't think Marshall would leave Wichita St. for Tennessee. Honestly why would he?

Wichita Eagle says Marshall makes $1.6 million this year and $1.75 million the next at Wichita State. This plus the fact he has serious job security and at a school where his program is top billing.

At Tennessee, even if they bump it to $2.5 mil he goes to a school with an athletic program that seems to be a bit in disarray, with a somewhat delusional fan base (watch Clay Travis defend otherwise) that even the players are upset with that expects instant results.

It's why Shaka Smart has turned down multiple jobs. Marshall will too. He's got a good thing going @ Wichita. It'd take a traditional power to lure him out now.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 06:56:10 pm
Right now as of today.

WSU- strong program great spot for a coach with support from boosters and fans.

TENN- middle of the pack program, players siding with the HC who just left, stories about boosters hampering the HC ability to do a good job.

You said "better than Tennessee has ever been." I disagree. I think Tennessee at its best with Bruce Pearl was a better program.

Please do not mistake what I've said -- Wichita State is in better shape than Tennessee right now. But what's gone on at Tennessee lately wasn't going on with Pearl and it was considered a good job, a better job than Wichita State in the Missouri Valley.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Doug "Bear" Hazard on April 15, 2014, 01:07:47 pm
Aaaaand there goes that commitment.

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred 1m
Per those last two tweets, Cuonzo Martin is taking his 7-1 center Kingsley Okoroh to Cal. He committed to UT yesterday.

Hahahaha!!! You go Cuonzo.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·1h
Cuonzo Martin had a different take on The Petition during his AP interview: "They just woke up a hungry bear." http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cal-hires-tennessees-cuonzo-martin-181213167--ncaab.html ...

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·1 hr
Cuonzo Martin told the AP he will bring "quite a few" of his assistant coaches from UT to Cal once his contract is complete.

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·3 hrs
Cuonzo Martin asked about The Petition at Cal presser: "It didn't bother me at all. I thought it was a great teaching point for our players"

Zo: "I want to thank my TN basketball family. I spent 3 years there, gave my life to the program ... I appreciate everything they gave me."

Cuonzo Martin: "This is a great, great opportunity. A beautiful place. I got off the plane, and i was like 'Ahhhh.'

Cuonzo Martin's press conference at Cal is up and running. Moderator pronounced his name right, so that's a start.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 07:14:34 pm
You said "better than Tennessee has ever been." I disagree. I think Tennessee at its best with Bruce Pearl was a better program.

Please do not mistake what I've said -- Wichita State is in better shape than Tennessee right now. But what's gone on at Tennessee lately wasn't going on with Pearl and it was considered a good job, a better job than Wichita State in the Missouri Valley.

Pearl didn't leave on his own, now did he? Tennessee at its height may have been considered a better job than WSU, but Tennessee is no where near its height, TBD if WSU has peaked or if they can retain the current level of success which has been better than Tennessee at their height.

Tennessee is a dumpster fire across the board in their athletic program.

ell oh ell

Dropkick

Tad Boyle is on the clock, at least what I am hearing.

jbcarol

Cal Men's Basketball ‏@CalMensBBall ·
Coach Martin addressed his team moments ago #GoBears pic.twitter.com/uvofQ0AMJE

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 07:35:52 pm
Pearl didn't leave on his own, now did he? Tennessee at its height may have been considered a better job than WSU, but Tennessee is no where near its height, TBD if WSU has peaked or if they can retain the current level of success which has been better than Tennessee at their height.

Tennessee is a dumpster fire across the board in their athletic program.

Pearl was fired, but we both know it was hardly because of the results on the court. And the fanbase loved him. They were a nationally relevant program. Right now, Wichita State looks like they could get to that stage, but they're not even at Gonzaga level right now and no one really fears Gonzaga in the tournament anymore.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dropkick on April 15, 2014, 07:37:25 pm
Tad Boyle is on the clock, at least what I am hearing.

Solid hire, if it goes down.

They could do muuuuuuch worse.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 07:59:55 pm
Pearl was fired, but we both know it was hardly because of the results on the court. And the fanbase loved him. They were a nationally relevant program. Right now, Wichita State looks like they could get to that stage, but they're not even at Gonzaga level right now and no one really fears Gonzaga in the tournament anymore.

It had everything to do with the NCAA and a thing called a show-cause.

Tennessee was also quick to sacrifice the basketball program when infractions were also found in football...

ell oh ell

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 07:38:17 pm

Surely they have more players returning than 5.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 07:14:34 pm

What everyone thinks is a better job is subjective.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 07:38:17 pm

He may bring in David Lee to work with his QB on the court.

Jerry Palm ‏@jppalmCBS ·14 hrs
Going to need a few more guys RT @CalMensBBall: Coach Martin addressed his team moments ago #GoBears pic.twitter.com/478heoRsCz

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS ·16 hrs
Cuonzo Martin bolts for California, leaves Bruce Pearl's shadow and that online petition behind. Column: http://cbsprt.co/QaNXiP

Dana O'Neil ‏@ESPNDanaOneil ·17h
Tennessee gets what doesn't want, but deserves http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/98518/tennessee-gets-what-doesnt-want-but-deserves ...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 02:47:22 pm
Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·1m
UT executive senior associate athletic director Jon Gilbert will be in charge of the #Vols hoops until interim coach is named.

Wow. Executive Senior Associate........................I bet they win the NC next year!