Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TN Vols' Cuonzo Martin reported to California

Started by Doug, April 15, 2014, 12:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Only one site is reporting this right now, HOWEVER, both Mark Ennis and Wes Rucker have all but confirmed that this is a done deal.

http://collegespun.com/sec/tennessee-sec/report-cuonzo-martin-leaving-tennessee-for-california
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

mizzouman

Who's up next for the Vols?  Shaka?  Marshall?

azhog10

tannerstahl

i love the hogs....so very very much

mizzouman

I'd be on the phone to Greg Marshall, NOW!!

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·8m
Good luck spinning this, Tennessee. It's not a good look.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawg Red

Martin, IMO, was a mediocre coach. What we saw this season was likely the best he's teams would do. With Bruce Pearl going to Auburn, Tennessee is going to feel the pressure to make a big splash here. Gregg Marshall finally ready for a major-conference gig?

nextlevel

Quote from: mizzouman on April 15, 2014, 12:32:02 pm
I'd be on the phone to Greg Marshall, NOW!!

He turned their job down before they hired Counzo, why would he take it now?
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 12:34:18 pm
He turned their job down before they hired Counzo, why would he take it now?

Maybe he's ready. Things change. They were just coming off the whole Bruce Pearl debacle then. They're coming off a Sweet 16 now.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams ·13 mins
We've confirmed Cuonzo Martin has taken Cal job. After apparent agreement reached, I'm told terms and buyout issues with agent blocked deal
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 12:39:00 pm
Maybe he's ready. Things change. They were just coming off the whole Bruce Pearl debacle then. They're coming off a Sweet 16 now.

And Wichita St. is a better program now than Tennessee has ever been.

I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·22m
Tennessee sends out release saying Dave Hart will meet with the media at 2:30 p.m. No subject addressed.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·1 min
Confirmed with UT player that #Vols were informed of Cuonzo Martin's departure to Cal in a team meeting at 12:30. Martin was not present.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 12:39:49 pm

Because Marshall took them to ONE Final Four?

They were better under Pearl than Wichita State is right now under Marshall. Maybe that changes over time (if Marshall stays), but they have only 3 tournament appearances under Marshall and only one run of note.

Bit premature on your part, I'd say.

jbcarol

Retweeted by Cal Men's Basketball
Cal Ticket Office ‏@CalAthletix ·17 hrs
Have you renewed your @CalMensBBall tickets yet?

#GoBears

jry04

I am kind of sad about this. I don't feel he was recruiting all that great at UT, and his team actually had a ton of talent this season and was expected to make the NCAAT comfortably. I know they made it to the Sweet 16, but they also had a somewhat easy path there. I feel like he is relatively unproven. UT has a chance to be a pretty good basketball program. It is going to be tough to make a big hire right now, though. Like with every coaching change, there will be a player or two transfer. Throw in Maymon, Stokes, McRae, and Barton being gone, and it does not look like they will be competitive for a few seasons. I expected them to be bottom half of the conference next year with Martin, but if they lose another player or two due to the coaching change they may end up being playing the first day of the SECT.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2014, 12:43:14 pm
I am kind of sad about this. I don't feel he was recruiting all that great at UT, and his team actually had a ton of talent this season and was expected to make the NCAAT comfortably. I know they made it to the Sweet 16, but they also had a somewhat easy path there. I feel like he is relatively unproven. UT has a chance to be a pretty good basketball program. It is going to be tough to make a big hire right now, though. Like with every coaching change, there will be a player or two transfer. Throw in Maymon, Stokes, McRae, and Barton being gone, and it does not look like they will be competitive for a few seasons. I expected them to be bottom half of the conference next year with Martin, but if they lose another player or two due to the coaching change they may end up being playing the first day of the SECT.

Why does that all make you sad?

jbcarol

Retweeted by Wes Rucker
Mark Ennis ‏@MarkEnnis ·18m
Shout out to @wesrucker247 who now gets to cover his 7th football/men's bball/women's bball coach or AD search since 2008.

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·18 mins
I'll be back in a bit. I'm gonna go dip my head in a vat of acid.

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·1 min
#Vols got a commitment yesterday. And the signing period opens tomorrow. Because everything here always makes sense.

Hawg Red

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP ·11m
I am not surprised that Cuonzo left. I was surprised he didn't end up at Marquette. I can't say I saw this one coming.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 12:42:42 pm
Because Marshall took them to ONE Final Four?

They were better under Pearl than Wichita State is right now under Marshall. Maybe that changes over time (if Marshall stays), but they have only 3 tournament appearances under Marshall and only one run of note.

Bit premature on your part, I'd say.

How many final fours has Tennessee been too?

I'll wait for you to check the record books.

There is more to a program than the tournament, Marshall is in a much better job than Tennessee and their unrealistic expectations that go with it.

ell oh ell

Big Nasty 34

That's what you get Tennessee! Ha

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 12:47:02 pm
How many final fours has Tennessee been too?

I'll wait for you to check the record books.

There is more to a program than the tournament, Marshall is in a much better job than Tennessee and their unrealistic expectations that go with it.

Does one Final Four outweigh multiple tournament runs?

If you offered gave 10 coaches the choice between Tennessee and Wichita State, how many chose Wichita State?

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 12:46:21 pm
Twitter report that Shaka Smart was taken the UT job.

So, the guy who turned down the UCLA job last year, takes the Tennessee job?

Sounds legit.

ell oh ell

jry04

They caught fire one year in the NCAAT. In his 7 seasons, they finished below .500, .500, NIT, NIT Champs, NCAA, Final Four, and 2nd round loss in NCAA. Tennessee made the NCAAT 6 straight seasons from 2006-2011. They also made the Sweet 16 3 of those times, and the Elite 8 once.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 12:48:06 pm
Does one Final Four outweigh multiple tournament runs?

When "runs" equate to a couple sweet 16s and and 2nd round appearances, yes.

This isn't UT's women's program we are talking about.

The men's program has NC expectations with an elite8 ceiling.

ell oh ell

Smithian

If Tennessee hired Shaka Smart then they managed the upgrade.

Wow.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 12:46:21 pm
Twitter report that Shaka Smart was taken the UT job.
That was a joke, because Marquette news stations reported that Smart had accepted the Marquette job when he hadn't.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Smithian on April 15, 2014, 12:49:33 pm
If Tennessee hired Shaka Smart then they managed the upgrade.

Wow.

Was apparently a joke. Guess I didn't get it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 12:49:16 pm
When "runs" equate to a couple sweet 16s and and 2nd round appearances, yes.

This isn't UT's women's program we are talking about.

The men's program has NC expectations with an elite8 ceiling.

Try two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8.

nextlevel

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2014, 12:48:35 pm
They caught fire one year in the NCAAT. In his 7 seasons, they finished below .500, .500, NIT, NIT Champs, NCAA, Final Four, and 2nd round loss in NCAA. Tennessee made the NCAAT 6 straight seasons from 2006-2011. They also made the Sweet 16 3 of those times, and the Elite 8 once.

And?

Counzo makes the sweet16 and could not even get an extension on the years of his contract.

Marshall is paid well, can bring in talent that he would not be able to bring into Tennessee, and has great job security and grateful fans of said program.

ell oh ell

jbcarol

MercNews ‏@mercnews ·11m
Report: Cal to name Tennessee's Cuonzo Martin as new basketball coach http://bit.ly/1jIjRNH

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID ·30m
Good luck to Cuonzo at Cal. Dave Hart and Vols didn't want to keep him. So now how much will UT pay to replace him?

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 12:51:11 pm
And?

Counzo makes the sweet16 and could not even get an extension on the years of his contract.

Marshall is paid well, can bring in talent that he would not be able to bring into Tennessee, and has great job security and grateful fans of said program.

My man, you asked a question and you were given an answer. You don't have to like the answer, but things and opinions and stances do change. No one here knows what's going through Gregg Marshall's head, but it's reasonable to hypothesize that he might have changed his mind from the last time. Or not. We'll see. Or we won't.

bigredone

He would have a tougher time scheduling 35 straight wins in the SEC. Maybe he wants a challenge?

jry04

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 12:51:11 pm
And?

My point is you are wrong about Wichita state being a better basketball program now than UT ever was. What Martin did is irrelevant. UT was consistently a top 25, and at times a top 5 program in the mid-2000s. Wichita State had one lucky run as an 8 seed, and then played the easiest schedule ever this year. At the end of the regular season, WSU had not played a single top 25 team in the final top 25 poll. They were a good team, but with even an SEC schedule would have lost 5 or 6 games on the year.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 12:44:26 pm
Why does that all make you sad?
I wanted Cuonzo to stay at UT and continue to underachieve. With the right coach, I think UT could be a dominant basketball program. UT should have been a top 25 team all season this year, and been the clear #3 in the SEC.

Breems

LoL. Bolting before things go downhill.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Doug

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2014, 12:44:59 pmWes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·1 min
#Vols got a commitment yesterday. And the signing period opens tomorrow. Because everything here always makes sense.
Aaaaand there goes that commitment.

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred 1m
Per those last two tweets, Cuonzo Martin is taking his 7-1 center Kingsley Okoroh to Cal. He committed to UT yesterday.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 ·29s
Guys I'd wanna call: Chris Mack, Tim Miles, Richard Pitino, Danny Manning, Tad Boyle, Michael White, Donnie Tyndall.

jbcarol

Jordan McRae ‏@JordyMac52 ·24m
Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return.

jbcarol

Quote from: Doug "Bear" Hazard on April 15, 2014, 01:07:47 pm
Aaaaand there goes that commitment.

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred 1m
Per those last two tweets, Cuonzo Martin is taking his 7-1 center Kingsley Okoroh to Cal. He committed to UT yesterday.

The headline read: Will lessen the impact of Stokes going pro

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·10m
Two-pronged question: 1) Is Tennessee interested "this time" in Gregg Marshall?  2) Would he leave Wichita State now for Knoxville?

Doug

Between the AD, CFB, MBB and WBB, Tennessee is on their 7th change... since 2008.
--Doug

Hogarusa

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2014, 12:55:13 pm
My point is you are wrong about Wichita state being a better basketball program now than UT ever was. What Martin did is irrelevant. UT was consistently a top 25, and at times a top 5 program in the mid-2000s. Wichita State had one lucky run as an 8 seed, and then played the easiest schedule ever this year. At the end of the regular season, WSU had not played a single top 25 team in the final top 25 poll. They were a good team, but with even an SEC schedule would have lost 5 or 6 games on the year.

Not sure how you have a "lucky run" to the Final 4 and they are the first team to ever post a 31-0 record in the regular season. Easy schedule or not-if it hasnt been done in the history its a remarkable achievement. 

I dont quite see the SEC as a place that young coaches want to jump to in college basketball.  If the Vols are able to get Shaka or Marshall, it would be a heck of a hire.  I would pay out Pearl at Auburn and bring him back.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

jbcarol

Cal Bears ‏@CalAthletics ·14m
MT @gobearsad: Welcome to #BearTerritory! Cuonzo Martin to be announced this PM as HeadMen's Basketball Coach @Cal! pic.twitter.com/vQeBH58CNJ

jbcarol

Jeronne Maymon ‏@JeronneMaymon ·10m
Not even surprised... It was just a matter of time! #RESPECT

Hoggish1

Guess he threw it in Tenner's face (They lost a good one after their fans got stupid...).  Good for him! 

Brass Knob

Marshall is not going to Tenner. There were better jobs last season and this season that he had not interest in. They better bring Cal (Coach Cal not Cuanzo Cal) money to the table if they want him to leave Wichita State for UTK. He knows there will be better job offers next season as well if he decides he wants "a challenge".

Hoggish1

WSU was always a better program than TN...