Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outcoached

Started by -Blu, March 24, 2014, 11:34:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Yes, your not dreaming, this is me saying Mike Anderson got out coached and bad......

There's no excuse for us to still be throwing up three pointers.  90% of our points have come from inside the paint.  Harris, Portis, and Kingsley have all had success when they've gotten the ball in the paint.  The fact that we aren't even looking for them and settling for 3s on a team that is playing 4 guards and is absolutely depleted in the front court is a joke.  We have a 5 STAR ALL-AMERICAN IN THE POST, use him! 

Kudos for Cal's coach knowing his team was undermanned and if his guys just played decent in the zone we would shoot ourselves out of the game. 

Good Season Coach Anderson and staff, but absolute horrible finish.  Looking forward to the improvements next year.  WPS!

Danny J

I said at halftime what my lineup in the second half would be and it is based on the first half.

Madden
Bell
Harris
Portis
Kingsley

They only have one big man. Only one. Just put Harris and Portis down on the blocks and have Kingsley cleaning up misses. We win this game going away. Obviously shots aren't falling to start second half so get it inside.

RazorPiggie

Could use some muscle instead of a bunch of pansies settling for 3s.

-Blu

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 24, 2014, 11:36:45 pm
I said at halftime what my lineup in the second half would be and it is based on the first half.

Madden
Bell
Harris
Portis
Kingsley

They only have one big man. Only one. Just put Harris and Portis down on the blocks and have Kingsley cleaning up misses. We win this game going away. Obviously shots aren't falling to start second half so get it inside.

I said the same thing about the lineup.  I have no idea what Mike is doing. 

onebadrubi

Mike has to have a guy hitting threes to operate, just the way he is.  He has stopped the flow of the game but is not telling the team what to do to fix it.  Now we are 24 down and it's in fixable at this point.

Nipsey Mussle

They're playing zone and I think we're attacking it well, actually. Early on we got great looks and couldn't throw a rock in the ocean. Now we have no confidence and are afraid to take the open looks. Not stepping into 3's with confidence and instead trying to force it inside is exactly what Cal wants us to do. Mike may have been outcoached, but not making wide open looks early is the reason for our poor offense right now.

Kevin

They way they played 3 out of the last four games, hogs are ending the season on a definite low note. 
See what happens next year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sivad

Quote from: HogLandish on March 24, 2014, 11:36:38 pm
Out coaching Mike Anderson is not exactly hard to do.
And not rare either.

Hog1952

Mike's lost!
We will never win any kind of a championship under Mike.

Sooie71923

Cal just has better shooters.

Nothing to do with coaching.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 24, 2014, 11:37:16 pm

It wouldn't matter we aren't even passing to them.  Just dribble along the 3 point line, shot fake, pass, pass, shoot a 3. That's all we are doing.  Everybody knows I'm a HUGE MA supporter, but this in inexcusable with the preparation we had.

ChicoHog

Montgomery is and has been a good coach.  He knows how to adjust to whatever type of team they play.  His weak point is recruiting.  Not a a real engaging personality. 

Kevin

Quote from: Sooie71923 on March 24, 2014, 11:39:21 pm
Cal just has better shooters.

Nothing to do with coaching.

Why don't the hogs have better shooters
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

3kgthog

Quote from: Kevin on March 24, 2014, 11:38:27 pm
They way they played 3 out of the last four games, hogs are ending the season on a definite low note. 
See what happens next year

You already know what will happen and that's more of the same. Mike will either keep beating his head against a wall or he'll get some coaching VHS tapes from some old time greats and learn a little. I'm betting he'll do the former and we'll be begging to get into the NIT next March.

Sooie71923

Hogs haven't had good shooters in a long time. No matter the coach, the shooting is terrible and results are the same.

-Blu

Quote from: Kevin on March 24, 2014, 11:41:47 pm

Why don't the hogs have better shooters

Shooting is just a small problem with this game.  Sometimes the shots just don't fall that happens with all teams.  What do other teams do though when they get in this situation?  They goto paint, get fouled, get free throws, and get easy baskets.  Us on the other hand we continue to shoot 3s.  Bobby Portis and Alandaise Harris are scoring almost every time they get the ball in the paint, yet we aren't getting it to them.  This Cal team right here is depleted and playing with 4 guards.... No reason We shouldn't get a touch in the post EVERY single time down the court. 

Nipsey Mussle

Our shooting overall is really good, just inconsistent. If we played again tomorrow, we'd shoot lights out and Bell would score 30 instead of 0.

regi

They were 3 for their first 26, and they were not 26 3 pointers. Coaching has nothing to do with that.

-Blu

Quote from: Sooie71923 on March 24, 2014, 11:43:37 pm
Hogs haven't had good shooters in a long time. No matter the coach, the shooting is terrible and results are the same.

We have shooters, don't we lead the SEC in 3P%.  Shooting struggles happen to every team, the difference is other GOOD teams get easy baskets and get to the free throw line when they struggle shooting, we just keep shooting 3s.

Kevin

If after a week to prepare and this is how you play.l, I say it is on all of them. Plus, cal has only one big & we did not attack the rim.
That is coaching

Otis

Quote from: -Blu on March 24, 2014, 11:39:30 pm
It wouldn't matter we aren't even passing to them.  Just dribble along the 3 point line, shot fake, pass, pass, shoot a 3. That's all we are doing.  Everybody knows I'm a HUGE MA supporter, but this in inexcusable with the preparation we had.

How is this different from any other game we've played?

panchodeana

Fred Gulley is one of the poorest shooting point guards to play college basketball in a major conference. The young man just simply cannot shoot the basketball with any consistency. This weakness negates what positives he brings to the game. He pretty much sets the tone for the entire team.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: panchodeana on March 25, 2014, 12:22:48 am
Fred Gulley is one of the poorest shooting point guards to play college basketball in a major conference. The young man just simply cannot shoot the basketball with any consistency. This weakness negates what positives he brings to the game. He pretty much sets the tone for the entire team.

He seemed like one of the more clutch 3pt shooters this season.

TulsaJack32

Quote from: -Blu on March 24, 2014, 11:39:30 pm

This is what we always do. Pass around the perimeter and jack a 3. I would never encourage a big man to play for mike.

Danny J

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 25, 2014, 12:25:35 am
He seemed like one of the more clutch 3pt shooters this season.
When he shoots. That is the problem. They miss their first shot and stop shooting. The guys who don't lack confidence, and its clear to see which guys don't, such as Qualls, Madden, Harris and Portis will continue to shoot.

Bell, Gulley, Wade and Scott and at times Clarke will stop once they miss one or two shots. They need to understand that even Jordan missed shots. Keep shooting or get better looks for team mates.

AWHAWG

We need that back to the basket post player Williamson Miller type. And a point to go with Madden.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: TulsaJack32 on March 25, 2014, 12:29:35 am
This is what we always do. Pass around the perimeter and jack a 3. I would never encourage a big man to play for mike.

You do realize they were playing zone?  You don't just position yourself into getting buckets in the lane.  Portis will need more beef.  We only shot 30% of our shots from 3, heck Cal was 29%.  I swear you guys just find what you look for, not what's actually there.

Hog1952

But according to some on here.....we are so close.

Atlhogfan1

Montgomery is one of the best coaches in college basketball.  Hope one day to have one like him. 

Mike should have gone big and went inside from the beginning.  But he goes with his guard oriented system no matter what.  Hawg Ball!  Fastest 40 Minutes!  I have no idea why a good post player would ever play for him.  Portis - Arkansan, Kingsley - Wings, Thompson - Arkansan   

Our basketball program will have success under Anderson at some point. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

-Blu

Quote from: Hog1952 on March 25, 2014, 12:32:52 am
But according to some on here.....we are so close.

We are close.  I'd be utterly shocked if we are not a tourney team next year.  We're a 22 win team bringing back over 75% of our offense and 5 of our 6 top players.  This program is defintly going in the right direction, this game right here was just bad.  I'm a huge MA supporter, but like everyone he's not perfect, and I think he knows this game he got outcoached, and he actually made the adjustment, it was just a little too late, we started getting to the line and getting to the rim like we were suppose to, and that's when we started making the run.

And I don't know what goes on in the huddle, I could be just assuming, maybe the plan was for us to get in the paint and take advantage of the size, but the players didn't do it, I don't know.  But, like I said, 22 wins in year 3, with 5 of our top 6 players returning, I'll definitely take it, and look forward to next season.

Mike Irwin

This team needs a couple of real points guards in the worst way.

Kikko played hard but he's not a major college player. Gulley's a mid major player...maybe. Rickey Scott and Mardracus Wade could disappear, reappear and disappear again faster than Harry Houdini.

They're all gone now. Looking forward to some new  blood.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TulsaJack32 on March 25, 2014, 12:29:35 am
In case you didn't notice they were missing around the basket too. In fact I saw Portis miss a finger roll at the rim. Not sure how he managed to do that.

Danny J

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 25, 2014, 12:43:33 am

Kikko played hard but he's not a major college player. Gulley's a mid major player...maybe. Rickey Scott and Mardracus Wade could disappear, reappear and disappear again faster than Harry Houdini.

Correct....

We have high basketball IQ players coming in next year that can also shoot. Two of them being true SEC caliber PG's which we haven't had in a long time.

hawgfan4life

Amazing how Anderson is one of only a few HC with winning record each of last ten years, he has done that at three schools rebuilding each of them, and every game we lose he is out coached.  Some people on here are a cancer.

panhandlepig

I agree but I'm gonna miss that Kikko. I have a feeling he will do well at anything he does and will be all-Hog forever.

Atlhogfan1

It needs guards since he insists on this guard driven system.  Mike and staff are out reaching into the JC's in the late signing period as he knows he is still short heading into season 4.  Better hope he doesn't have much attrition too. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 25, 2014, 12:47:44 am
Amazing how Anderson is one of only a few HC with winning record each of last ten years, he has done that at three schools rebuilding each of them, and every game we lose he is out coached.  Some people on here are a cancer.

Blu is one of Anderson's most ardent supporters and maybe the most optimistic poster here. 

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 12:50:44 am
It needs guards since he insists on this guard driven system.  Mike and staff are out reaching into the JC's in the late signing period as he knows he is still short heading into season 4.  Better hope he doesn't have much attrition too.
Yep....we need another 6'5 or bigger guard swing player who can play the 2-4 spots with as much as we like to switch. Hard to do that with little guards.

-Blu

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 25, 2014, 12:47:44 am

I love Mike Anderson as a coach.  I want him here until he retires.  You can probably ask any poster, I defend Mike like it's nobodies business.  Since Mike has been here at Arkansas I've maybe seen him out coaches a couple of times, and tonight was one them.  And I mean that's not necessarily a bad comment on someone, name a coach that hasn't been out coached before?  It happens, just like some players get out played. 

Montgomery's game plan was to zone us and make us beat them with the 3 ball because they were undersized, and that's exactly what we did.  We didn't attack the rim at all in the first half, and we didn't get to the free throw line and take advantage of our size.  Now, Mike did make the adjustment the 2nd part of the 2nd half, but it was too little too late.  And I'm not a coach, just a fan that watches probably too much college B-ball, but in my opinion we should have kept going to Portis, Harris, and even Kingsley and tried to get easy buckets and get to the foul line, then when the double teams come kick it out for a 3s.  And we did that, starting around like 9 minutes to go in the game.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: panchodeana on March 25, 2014, 12:22:48 am
The guy who shoots 37% from 3 is one of the poorest shooting point guards ever to play in a major conference?
You guys completely lose your mind after a loss.

The only thing I second guess MA on is playing Bell in the 2nd half. It was obvious he was he having one of his off nights and if Bell isn't hitting shots, he serves no purpose out there.

We were prepared and we attacked the zone nicely. As Mark Jackson always says about the NBA "It's a make or miss league." That's the way it went tonight. Everyone focuses on rebounds, turnovers, x's and o's and the fact is, all of those can be going well but it doesn't matter if you can't make a shot. We got tons and tons more shots than Cal and we got lots of easy ones inside and plenty of open ones outside that we decided to make better use of and just starting building a house full of bricks.

Until you get to New York, the NIT is all about fun to me and a little extra playing. As I said in a post earlier on Monday, if we win everyone will be yawning and wondering what the big deal is, and if we lose then everyone on here will act like this was a huuuuuuge game.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 01:03:14 am
I love Mike Anderson as a coach.  I want him here until he retires.  You can probably ask any poster, I defend Mike like it's nobodies business.  Since Mike has been here at Arkansas I've maybe seen him out coaches a couple of times, and tonight was one them.  And I mean that's not necessarily a bad comment on someone, name a coach that hasn't been out coached before?  It happens, just like some players get out played. 

Montgomery's game plan was to zone us and make us beat them with the 3 ball because they were undersized, and that's exactly what we did.  We didn't attack the rim at all in the first half, and we didn't get to the free throw line and take advantage of our size.  Now, Mike did make the adjustment the 2nd part of the 2nd half, but it was too little too late.  And I'm not a coach, just a fan that watches probably too much college B-ball, but in my opinion we should have kept going to Portis, Harris, and even Kingsley and tried to get easy buckets and get to the foul line, then when the double teams come kick it out for a 3s.  And we did that, starting around like 9 minutes to go in the game.
Blu, you must've been watching a different game, bud. We took the ball to the rim over and over again in the first half but came up empty repeatedly. You don't beat a zone that way, anyway. You have to shoot out of it and the wide open 3's were there all  night. In the era of the 3 point line, nights like this one happen. MA had us where we needed to be (aside from his unwillingness to do the obvious and sit Bell).

Nipsey Mussle

Creighton has to be one of, if not the best, 3 pt shooting team in the nation and they shot 1 better than us from there on Sunday night. They were 5 of 24 from 3, would u guys suggest they abandon the 3 ball as well? Or perhaps some of you would suggest they just have athletes and not basketball players? Many of you put tons of stock in a single loss and no stock in our wins.

hogville38

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 24, 2014, 11:37:16 pm
You're a real tough guy. Would love to see you call any of them pansies. It would be comical to watch you get a beat down.

-Blu

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 25, 2014, 01:11:11 am
Blu, you must've been watching a different game, bud. We took the ball to the rim over and over again in the first half but came up empty repeatedly. You don't beat a zone that way, anyway. You have to shoot out of it and the wide open 3's were there all  night. In the era of the 3 point line, nights like this one happen. MA had us where we needed to be (aside from his unwillingness to do the obvious and sit Bell).

BBs, I thought we played an excellent 2nd part of the 2nd half.  But the first half we were just jacking up 3s, maybe I'm wrong and they attacked first, I'm going to go back and watch the game.

But, I can tell you this, I watch a lot of college b-ball.  I can honestly say I haven't seen a team that as good as we are just go on absolute scoring droughts like we do.  Don't get me wrong, all teams have bad shooting nights, but the difference is good teams compensate for it and get in the lane and score and get to the free throw line, we failed to do that for the first 20 minutes of the game.  And Portis and Harris were actually scoring almost every time they got the ball in the paint, I would have liked to have seen us continue to go to them, and drive the ball on them.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

It was crazy, but Kikko actually should have played more, he played very well tonight and took it to the basket and created shots for other players, only problem, they knew he would because he would never take a shot thats not flat out wide open.  I wish Madden could drive and dish, but he drives and picks up his dribble or shoots and thats it.  He's a two guard playing out of position.

Breems

Quote from: -Blu on March 24, 2014, 11:34:36 pm
We have a 5 STAR ALL-AMERICAN IN THE POST, use him! 

When Portis starts trusting and establishing himself as a low-post scorer, so too will his teammates trust and establish him as a low-post scorer.

I understand a freshman PF is going to be more comfortable with his face-up game (and it suits Portis' skillset), but if you're going to survive in this game as a 6'10 player with no handles, you have to be able to at least score against weak competition in the post. If Portis doesn't figure this out soon, his ceiling will be dependent on tweaks to his jump shot.

Hopefully the staff recognizes the potential/need here and works with him over the summer. Very few Marshawn Powell types arrive on campus ready to score in the post against SEC teams.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

-Blu

Quote from: Breems on March 25, 2014, 01:34:26 am
When Portis starts trusting and establishing himself as a low-post scorer, so too will his teammates trust and establish him as a low-post scorer.

I understand a freshman PF is going to be more comfortable with his face-up game (and it suits Portis' skillset), but if you're going to survive in this game as a 6'10 player with no handles, you have to be able to at least score against weak competition in the post. If Portis doesn't figure this out soon, his ceiling will be dependent on tweaks to his jump shot.

Hopefully the staff recognizes the potential/need here and works with him over the summer. Very few Marshawn Powell types arrive on campus ready to score in the post against SEC teams.

True, but even Portis getting it inside he was able to hit those foul line corner shots and shoot over the defense, his shots were much more high % than all the 3s we were taking.  Looking back maybe I was in the heat of the moment when I made the thread, but I still think we should have looked inside a lot more than we did.  Every time we did something good happened.

oldhawgs

I loved all of these players for their heart, but you are right Mike. Some fans have never (referring to age), and for some of the rest of us it has been so long since we have actually seen a veteran stud in a Hog uniform we seriously have forgot what one looks like. These guys played hard, but we need some MEN. When I hear fans talk about we need another Sanchez, I just have to shake my head. Again great guys, but not what we are after.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hogville38 on March 25, 2014, 01:20:14 am
You're a real tough guy. Would love to see you call any of them pansies. It would be comical to watch you get a beat down.

Sorry but guys 180 lbs soaking wet don't scare me. Only persons I would fear on our team is Clarke and Harris.

poloprince

Quote from: Hog1952 on March 24, 2014, 11:39:21 pm
Mike's lost!
We will never win any kind of a championship under Mike.

We did when he was an assistant so how can it be never?
$PoLoPrInCe$