Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RPI Thread

Started by Biggus Piggus, February 21, 2006, 10:35:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertip

RPI was around 55 before the TN game. We might actually lose a spot or two just by playing MSU, even with the win. Because they bring their sorry W-L record & SOS with them. But, we'll get it back by winning at UGA. WPS!!!

If anybody cares, Digger Phelps & the rest of the ESPN crew think the Hawgs are in. Barring a total collapse which ain't gonna happen.

Boarcephus

I would have thought we'd have gotten more of a bump than we got with two wins over, at the time, tenth ranked teams with one of those being at their place.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogwild84

Here is the link to an updated RPI ranking, as of yesterday (Sat). This one has the Hogs at 45 too...

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

HouTxRzbck

I think he meant down as in the numbers.  I thought we would be lower in my opinion.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

Hogs4Ever

The Hogs just need to care of business now.  They're in the dance if they do.

NuttsSacked

I saw this as well.  Everyone talks about a teams RPI.  IMO, selection committee members wouldn't be doing their homework or due-diligence by ignoring the Sagarin rankings. 

They may not openly admit it, but I'm sure these numbers come into play when the committee is in doubt.

WilsonHog

Both Mississippi State and Georgia have a RPI over 100. Both are must win games.

94 Hawg

looks like one of the main factors hurting us--other than the miss st. & ole miss losses is our non conf. sos @ 210  (even with uconn, kansas & maryland) in there it is bad.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Adam Stokes

Okay, here's a quick look that will likely decide the seed of Arkansas in this season's NCAA tourney so long as we make it.

The Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) is used by the RPI to help the committee make decisions on who should make the tournament and what they should be ranked.

Just to explain a brief synopsis of how RPI works,

25% of the score is from Winning Percentage (%)

75% is from your Strength of Schedule, which breaks into two categories.

50% of you Strength of Schedule is your Opponent's Total Winning Percentage (%) - meaning you divide the amount of wins by total games won. 

So say we play two teams that are 5-1 and 3-4.  The total Wins/Total Games played would be 8/13, or our percentage would be .615.

The last 25% is from your Opponent's Opponent's winning percentage - this is where it gets tricky, you add up the wins/losses of all your opponents opponents.

You always want to root for the teams that we aer going to play in the future or have already played to help you're SOS.

There are a couple flaws in the RPI.  Let's look at this season.  Some people are complaining about our SOS should be much higher playing teams like Kansas, Connecticut, Maryland, Missouri State and other teams.  Having a good strength of schedule is more determined on how many bad teams you don't play.  For example, playing Connecticut and Texas State is almost equivalent to playing Ole Miss and Mississippi State.  The games we play against bad teams balance out the games against the good teams.  In the future Stan needs more to schedule more mediocre teams, like the bottom feeders of the power conferences, the Virignia's and the Seton Halls, easy wins that won't hurt our SOS like Texas Pan-American and Western Ill, also teams from the top of the MVC.  If we do this our RPI will improve drastically and we won't have to worry about SOS getting us into the tourny or not. 

Hope that answers some questions,

Ajs15Razorman