Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Look back/ahead to the Top 100 College Basketball recruits in the SEC

Started by jbcarol, June 05, 2012, 04:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1h1 hour ago

Austin Wiley potential one-and-done guy -- but now, with him enrolling at Auburn early, Bruce Pearl will get him for at least 1 1/2 years.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/811707055979503616

QuoteAuburn sophomore forward Horace Spencer apologized for his Dec. 14 arrest when he and teammate Bryce Brown were charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession.

"I know what I did was a huge mistake and I have to wear it," Spencer said. "I just want to publicly apologize to all the fans who support me.

"I also want to apologize to my family and teammates for putting dirt on the name we wear. It's my job to clean it up and make it clean again.

"I know what I did so I have to wear the shame I brought upon me and my family but I'm getting past it and putting it in my past."

Both Spencer and Brown are starters in Auburn's regular lineup. They sat out the wins over Coastal Carolina Thursday and Mercer Sunday. Head coach Bruce Pearl lifted the suspensions Monday and both players will return to action tonight against Oklahoma in Connecticut.

"All of a sudden, they gave up what they had," Pearl said. "They got to work their way back now. Because other guys have stepped in and were ready, you got to put yourself in position."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Basketball coaches' box a mere suggestion box

Calipari yelled "Drive! Drive!," Malik Monk shot and — fortunately for UK — made a game-winning three-pointer against North Carolina. In the same game, De'Aaron Fox did not follow the coach's instruction to pass the ball to Bam Adebayo.

Is this new?  Product of the one-n-done error?

Quote1968-69 season. Several minutes passed in a game without Dan Issel touching the ball. Adolph Rupp called a timeout.

"He pretty much looked at (Mike) Casey and me and said, 'Do you boys know what this boy's name is?'" Mike Pratt recalled. "'His name is Dan Issel. Please pass him the ball.'"

Nearly 50 years later, Issel still chuckles when asked about the incident. "That was his rather unsubtle way of saying, 'Let's go back to what we've been doing,'" he said. "'Don't try to win the basketball game by yourselves.'"

UK fans with good memories might recall Rajon Rondo making a winning shot after straying from the play called by Tubby Smith. Even in the movies, players are more than mere obedient robots. In "Hoosiers," Hickory player Rade Butcher defied his coach, played by Gene Hackman, by shooting before the requisite passes were made.

"There's a lot of improvisation that goes on out there ... ," Rex Chapman said. "Coaches yell all the time. You can't pay attention to all of it.

"But what I know is you better make it work."

When it works, an improvisation might cause a player to gain an added measure of respect from the coach, Kenny Walker said. Freelance success can mean the player has moxie. Better yet, in current basketball parlance, the player has taken "ownership."

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio Jan 5

Hamidou Diallo could commit to Kentucky on Saturday. Here is everything you need to know about him: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hamidou-diallo/ ...

QuoteHe will pick from six finalists: Arizona, Connecticut, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky and Syracuse.

However, only three of those schools — Arizona, Connecticut and Kentucky — are believed to be serious contenders.

He took official visits to Connecticut (Dec. 21) and Kentucky (Dec. 26).

He was scheduled to visit Arizona this coming weekend, but recently canceled that trip to stay home and make his announcement...

His plan is to enroll immediately, but not play until next season.

If you're to believe the reports, Diallo has plans to be a one-and-a-half-and-done prospect. Though he is eligible for next summer's draft, he believes it is in his best interest to enroll in the upcoming spring semester to get a head start on the 2017-18 season, then declare for the 2018 draft.

By enrolling and joining a program next week, Diallo would be able to practice, work out, train and even travel with the team he chooses, which would be hugely beneficial in preparing him for his true debut next fall.

jbcarol

The only Top 10 commit to an SEC school in the 2017 class at this time is Collin Sexton to Bama.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/818161428154773505

QuoteNotably being on record as a "one and done" player, Duval feels he only needs one college season to refine his skills for the NBA game. He is currently projected as the No. 6 pick in the 2018 NBA draft by DraftExpress.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SpiritBen/status/818491428489850880

QuoteHe was pursued by, among others, Ole Miss, Ohio State and Texas A&M, each school envisioning Neal as a ready-made point guard who could step in and potentially be the missing piece for an NCAA Tournament hopeful.

He ultimately decided on the Rebels. His familiarity with head coach Andy Kennedy was undoubtedly the most important factor, but the departure of Stefan Moody, the team's starting point guard, to graduation certainly helped, too.

But 15 games into the 2016-17 season, Neal's role has already changed. His turnover issues at New Mexico, where he had 101 in his final Lobo season, carried over, and Ole Miss' offense struggled with rhythm and pace as a result. So, Kennedy moved Neal off the ball against Auburn, and after failing to score even one first-half basket, Neal came alive in the second, totaling 13 points on 4 of 7 from the field in an 88-85 Ole Miss win. He was 3 of 6 from 3.

"It hasn't been too difficult because my teammates are always talking to me, and we're always talking to each other," Neal said of his role change. "As you've seen, we've changed a lot of lineups since the year started. If A.K. continues to do that, we'll be ready. We're always ready."

jbcarol

jbcarol

UK commits nominated for McD's AA game

QuoteFive UK basketball commitments have been nominated to the McDonald's All-American Game, and the final selections will be announced this weekend.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Quade Green, Nick Richards, Jarred Vanderbilt and PJ Washington were all on the list of nominations released Tuesday morning. UK's other commitment from the class of 2017 — Hamidou Diallo — plans to enroll in classes at UK this week. Diallo would not have been eligible for the McDonald's Game this year, because he was playing this season as a post-graduate player.

The other three class of 2017 prospects with UK scholarship offers — Mohamed Bamba, Kevin Knox and Trae Young — were also nominated to the game.

The actual McDonald's All-American teams will be announced Sunday at 10:30 p.m., on ESPNU.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_AJC/status/819025899228196866

Freshman point guard De'Aaron Fox played just six first-half minutes, because of that foul-trouble problem that plagued Kentucky, but then delivered 16 points in the second half, including a clutch bucket with 1:17 to go. He had 22 for the game, plus 4 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal with just one turnover in 25 minutes. He hit 11 of 17 shots, including a flurry of silky-looking jump shots, which is a new development. "He's really spending time in the gym right now," Calipari said. "He's really mastering his craft."
    When Fox and fellow freshman Malik Monk – who ended up with 18 points and some huge late plays – were glued to the bench before the break, sophomore guard Isaiah Briscoe ran the show and kept Kentucky in front. He finished with 23 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists with just one turnover. He was 10 of 18 shooting.

Kentucky made just 1 of 9 threes against Vanderbilt.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 11h11 hours ago

Best player in the SEC that nobody is talking about is Mississippi State's Quinndary Weatherspoon. Totally controlled game vs. Arkansas.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Some of those Top 100* 2017 commits to SEC schools

10. Collin Sexton, 6-2, PG, Alabama

11. Hamidou Diallo, 6-5, SG, Kentucky

12. Nick Richards, 6-10, C, Kentucky

16. P.J. Washington, 6-8, PF, Kentucky

21. Quade Green, 6-1, PG, Kentucky

22. Jarred Vanderbilt, 6-8, PF, Kentucky

24. John Petty, 6-5, SG, Alabama

33. Nick Weatherspoon, 6-2, PG, Mississippi State

37. Rayshaun Hammonds, 6-7, SF, Georgia

43. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, 6-5, PG, Kentucky

47. Daniel Gafford, 6-10, C, Arkansas

54. Khalil Garland, 6-6, SF, Arkansas

59. Isaiah Stokes, 6-8, C, Florida

60. Davion Mitchell, 6-1, PG, Auburn

64. DeAundre Ballard, 6-6, SG, Florida

67. Chuma Okeke, 6-7, SF, Auburn

70. Galen Alexander, 6-7, SF, LSU

72. Savion Flagg, 6-6, SF, Texas A&M

Former Top 100

Alex Reese, 6-9, PF, Alabama

Saben Lee, 6-1, PG, Vanderbilt

Devontae Shuler, 6-1, PG, Ole Miss

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819555033649999877

QuoteTennessee basketball took another gut punch Wednesday night, losing at home to South Carolina 70-60 in one of the more unimpressive games of the season.

Both the Vols and the Gamecocks turned the ball over 22 times, and Tennessee made just 1-of-11 shot attempts beyond the 3-point line in falling to 8-8 overall, and 1-3 in league play.

Robert Hubbs lll, the only senior on the team, did everything he could to help his team, but the program continued to let him down.

Hubbs, however, continued to maintain a positive outlook moving toward Saturday's game at Vanderbilt.

"We have the talent;  it's right there," Hubbs said. "We just have to put it all together and find away to have more energy coming into the game."

Coach Rick Barnes was the first to admit he "didn't enjoy watching our team play" against South Carolina.

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward 14h14 hours ago

South Carolina and Tennessee have a combined 34 turnovers in 24 minutes of play. Not great, Bob.

Frank Martin in postgame press conference: "We just made this a prehistoric game today. It was unbelievable."

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 6m6 minutes ago

Talked to SEC coach last night who said that Bam Adebayo's most underrated skill is his defensive versatility. Can switch and guard PG's.

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 9m9 minutes ago

UK commitments Quade Green, Nick Richards, PJ Washington and Jarred Vanderbilt all named McDonalds All Americans

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/content/aag/en/MediaCenter/2017/2017-game-materials/2017-final-team-roster.html

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_AJC 10m10 minutes ago

... @EvanDaniels calls Skal Labissiere "the biggest miss of my career."
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/evan-danies-skal-labissiere-kentucky-bust
(podcast via link)

QuoteDaniels, director of basketball recruiting at Scout.com, had Labissiere rated the No. 1 overall player in the Class of 2015. In one season at Kentucky, Labissiere averaged just 15.8 minutes, 6.6 points and 3.1 rebounds per game.

"I'm going to defend myself for a second," Daniels said. "Anybody that was at the Nike Hoop Summit after his senior year of high school left there thinking he was the guy. And he was not playing against bums. (Eventual No. 1 overall pick) Ben Simmons was there, a bunch of other dudes were there."

Labissiere outshined them all. It's true that Daniels was far from alone in his high opinion of the 6-foot-11 kid from Haiti who had a sweet jump shot. Rivals.com also ranked Labissiere the No. 1 player in the class, while ESPN and 247Sports had him No. 2. DraftExpress.com projected him to be the NBA's top pick in 2016.

Several disappointing months later, Labissiere slid to 28th in the actual draft. He has played in just four NBA games and spent most of this season in the NBA Development League.

"I've spent hours trying to figure that one out," Daniels said. "This is not an exact science. I'm going to get ones wrong, just as everyone else in this profession. But that one just – I think people sometimes think we slap rankings on these guys and move on, (but) I lose sleep over that one."

jbcarol

Kevin Scarbinsky ‏@KevinScarbinsky 15h15 hours ago

Does recruiting matter? First two 5-stars in Auburn hoops history, Heron and Wiley, were the difference in a critical win over Alabama.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_AJC 4h4 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Shaun Dunn

Fox update and the Hamidou Diallo what-if, answered by Calipari: https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/calipari-updates-deaaron-fox-injury ...

QuoteIs there a scenario in which Kentucky might play 5-star freshman guard Hamidou Diallo this season? Diallo, a top-10 recruit in the Class of 2017, enrolled earlier this month and began practicing with the team. He's eligible to play now, but the plan is not to begin competition until next season.

On a day like Saturday, when Fox got hurt, senior guard Mychal Mulder was out with an illness and sophomore guard Isaiah Briscoe was scoreless with 7 turnovers, it sure would seem tempting to try Diallo.

"But no, that's not even in the cards," Calipari said. "He's working hard. He's been here three, four days and we have a kid on campus who knows him and said, 'Man, look at him.' I mean, he's getting better. He came here for a reason: He wants to be his best version. 'How good can I get? How good can I be?' What I want him to do is I want him to go after Malik and Isaiah. He's a really good on-ball defender — like, really good. 'Go after these guys, make them better. If they're not practicing hard, make them look bad.' But no, he's not in the mix."

And oh, by the way, that "kid on campus" is 5-star center Mohamed Bamba, the top uncommitted prospect in the country, ranked the No. 2 overall player in the class. He is on an official visit to Kentucky this weekend and happens to be close with Diallo, who is actively recruiting him to join what is already the nation's top class in 2017.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 3h3 hours ago

Ole Miss G Terrence Davis named SEC player of the week, Auburn C Austin Wiley named SEC freshman of the week.

jbcarol

Most overrated current SEC players based on their high school recruiting ranking:

Kasey Hill, Florida, #10 Class o' '13
18% 3P%, Under .600 career FT%, Under 10 ppg with 1.6-to-1.0 assist to turnover ratio
Was ranked ahead of '15 SEC POY Bobby Portis

Robert Hubbs, Tennessee, #29 Class o' '13
Like Hill, sub 1000 career points, 1.7-to-1.8 att, 15% 3P%
Was ranked ahead of Jordan Mickey, Sindarius Thornwell, and Moses Kingsley

Sacha Killyea-Jones, #24 Class o' '16
While still early, the 5-star is now in the Brad Calipari, pass-the-cigar rotation
Ranked ahead of Mustapha Heron, Braxton Key

Chris Chiozza, #45 Class o' '14
5.3 ppg, 26% 3P%, 34% FG% in just under 20 mpg
Ranked ahead of Anton Beard, Riley LaChance

Isaac Humphries, #49-T Class o' '15
3.8 and 3.8 in about 10-12 mpg. 56.5 FT%, sub-.500 FG%
Ranked ahead of KeVaughn, Horace Spencer, Danjel Purifoy, Admon Gilder, Keith "Smooth" Stone

Transfers and Skal are not included

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/825019413019635712

Quote2017 Jordan Brand Classic game is set for April 14 at Barclays Center.

Roster includes four Kentucky and two Duke commits, plus six uncommited recruits.

John Petty, Jemison (AL), ALABAMA

Quade Green, Neumann-Goretti (PA), KENTUCKY

PJ Washington, Findlay Prep (NV), KENTUCKY

Jarred Vanderbilt, Victory Prep (TX), KENTUCKY

Nick Richards, The Patrick School (NJ), KENTUCKY

Trevon Duval, IMG Academy (FL), UNDECIDED

Collin Sexton, Pebblebrook (GA), ALABAMA

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/829540459588550656

QuoteSince the NBA implemented an automatic suspension for 16 technical fouls beginning with the 2005-06 season, the former LeFlore High School star is the fastest to reach the threshold by nearly one month.

Cousins becomes the first player suspended in three different seasons under the 16-tech rule. He also served a one-game suspension in 2014 and 2016.

At the end of the 2012-2013 season, Cousins had his 16th technical foul rescinded by the league office, allowing him to play in the final game of the campaign when he had been faced with suspension.

Since entering the NBA in the 2010-11 season, Cousins has picked up 107 technical fouls - 24 more than any other player...

Cousins was hit with two technical fouls on Monday night in a game against the Chicago Bulls, the suspension-triggering one coming with 1.1 seconds left in the game.

Top Ten recruit in the 2009 class

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 1h1 hour ago

ICYMI, Chiozza doing whatever it takes to help Gators win - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20170208/ARTICLES/170209963/1180?Title=UF-basketball-Chiozza-doing-whatever-it-takes-to-help-Gators-win ...

QuoteATHENS, Ga. - About a month ago, Florida junior point guard Chris Chiozza was in a rough patch.

Shots weren't falling. Minutes were dwindling behind starting guards Kasey Hill and KeVaughn.

That's when Chiozza decided to step into Florida coach Mike White's office for a one-on-one meeting.

"He wasn't proud of the way he was playing and his focus level," White said. "It was all him. And he said 'Coach I just want you know I'm turning over a new leaf, I'm going to do whatever I can to help this team win at a really high level, whatever I've got to do, however many minutes I get.' "

Consider the leaf turned. Chiozza continued his recent strong play with 15 points and four steals in UF's 72-60 win over Georgia on Tuesday night at Stegeman.

Over this last five games, Chiozza is averaging 9.6 points, 7 assists and 6.4 rebounds, with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 35 to 8. Chiozza earned SEC player of the week honors after posting the fourth triple-double in UF history (12 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists) against Missouri.

"I've always been a confident player," Chiozza said.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/830078893650481152

QuoteComing off a 44-point performance on Tuesday night, Sindarius Thornwell was named to the Naismith Trophy Top 30 list.

Lancaster, S.C., native is in the midst of a career year — averaging career highs in points per game (19.4) and rebounds (7.3).

Thornwell joins Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox and Malik Monk as the only SEC players on the list. 10 semifinalists will be named on March 1.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 16m16 minutes ago

Florida's Chris Chiozza is quietly playing the best basketball of his career. Has 40 assists over his last six games. Providing the spark.

White Station '14 PG was ranked in the top 50

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_AJC/status/831859014342414336

QuoteKentucky's increasingly frustrated coaching staff showed Monk during film study exactly where he'd been every time an opponent's shot went up.

"Trying to get a bucket," he admitted Tuesday night, grinning sheepishly. "Running to the opposite end."

And upon seeing that, facing it in front of his coaches and teammates, what did that behavior look like to Monk?

"Like I'm scared," he said. "Scared to rebound or scared to be in there. But I'm not, so I just had to prove that."

After all, there's no excuse for a guy whose vertical leap is more than 40 inches, who puts people on posters with his jaw-dropping, high-flying dunks, to go entire games – weeks! ­– without corralling a few caroms.

"Yeah, I should not be not getting rebounds," Monk said.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones‏@KySportsRadio 10h10 hours ago

Monk is an amazing scorer...but when he isn't scoring (or is off like tonight), he gives you nothing

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/835869391300530176

QuoteMo Williams was inside Coleman Coliseum with a group of reporters.

While discussing the Crimson Tide's present and future, the former Alabama star and longtime NBA player brought up Sexton.

"If you get that kid, that would be huge," Williams said. "I think that would take us over the top and get us to the next level. ... He can really turn this program around make us a top-10 team."

Sexton is that good and continues to show why landing him was so significant for Alabama.

The five-star point guard from Pebblebrook High School in Georgia seemingly does something special every game.

There was the 39 points he scored against IMG Academy and fellow five-star point guard Trevon Duval, the 53 points and 11 3-pointers he put up on his senior night and his game-tying 3-pointer at the buzzer in Pebblebrook's regional championship game.

Most recently, Sexton scored 40 points to guide Pebblebrook to a win in the second round of the state playoffs on Thursday.

"He's a stud," Tide coach Avery Johnson said. "He has that Kyrie Irving type of a game -- 6-1, 6-2, good body, can do it all."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DCTheState/status/836545778210451458

Quote"You tell me another player in the country that plays four different positions on the basketball court. Defends four different players on the court. Leads the team in scoring, rebounding, steals, and defends the best player on the other team, by the way," Frank Martin said a week ago. "Tell me somebody else in the country that does that, let alone our conference."

There is nobody else. While there are certainly other worthy candidates (Arkansas' Dusty Hannahs, Kentucky's Malik Monk, Mississippi State's Quinndary Weatherspoon), Thornwell's numbers are unable to be ignored.

He's second in the SEC in scoring. He's fifth in rebounding and first in steals per game, two numbers that just don't go together, especially from a 6-foot-5 guard.

Also a mysterious discplinary problem which enables SC's resume to be debated on the terms of what-if.

jbcarol

David Cloninger‏ @DCTheState 10h10 hours ago

Sin Thornwell on his Player of the Year chances: "That kid Monk's good, man."