Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shotgun Spread Offense is recipe for disaster - Robert Shields

Started by Robert Shields, February 06, 2006, 09:51:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hangfifty

Yes sir, there is no better way to keep a game close and still lose like being a one deminsional running team. Those losing seasons almost went the oteher way.

McKdaddy

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on February 06, 2006, 11:39:25 am
I guess everyone will just have to wait and see what Gus and Alex do.  One thing's for sure... this will no longer be the playbook:
Lots of karma, baby,  ;D
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Boner

If you want to see what the spread can look like when its balanced, look at OU's 2000 national championship team.  And yes, that was Mike Leach running that offense.  He just doesn't have the same horses at TT.

The spread offense sure worked pretty well for Texas this year, didn't it?

But it won't work in the SEC?  Yeah right.  Tell that to SEC champ UGA who got throttled at home by West Virginia's spread offense that they had a month to prepare for.

hogwildinhouston

I think Malzahn and Wood are going to put together a hybrid system that mixes the Shotgun spread and the I.  What will truely be different here is that, unlike with Nutt, we won't be predictable in what we do out of certain formations or personnel groupings.  You could see I sets with 3 WR that air it out, and power running set up out of the Spread.  The fact is, no matter the formation, we will be far more unpredictable than in the past.

As for the "high school coach theory"....bottom line....Malzahn may have only been a HS coach, but if there has ever been a more "high school" offense than the one we've been running with Nutt, I'd like to see it.  The predictability of play calling out of formations and substitution patterns was laughable. 

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Boner on February 06, 2006, 11:51:22 am
If you want to see what the spread can look like when its balanced, look at OU's 2000 national championship team.  And yes, that was Mike Leach running that offense.  He just doesn't have the same horses at TT.

The spread offense sure worked pretty well for Texas this year, didn't it?

But it won't work in the SEC?  Yeah right.  Tell that to SEC champ UGA who got throttled at home by West Virginia's spread offense that they had a month to prepare for.

I agree with your priniciple, but Mike Leach wasn't the OC in 2000.  Mangino was.

Leach left for Tech after the first year in 99, a 7-5 Indy Bowl season.

PigPusher

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 06, 2006, 10:13:40 am
hmmmmmmmmmmm, you are an idiot, someone who obviously does not know anything about football, yet writes about it, I am a Darksider for your writing, you suck.

There is a rule against name calling.  Why is it now being enforced?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

lumphog

After seeing W Va run out of the spread in their Bowl game.........I`m still excited about next year. I think Gus is smarter than most give him credit for.........We WILL be a very TALENTED team next year. We`ll have to just wait and see.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Robert Shields
Maybe this is no big surprise, but if you have been keeping up with the Hogs' offense in years past, this is a huge departure for Houston Nutt -- and for the program.

You might have missed it, Shields, but the Hogs tore up Texas in 2003 with Matt Jones operating out of the shotgun and running the delay option and the boot.  Worked rather well.  Texas picked up a lot of the principles of the scheme, which Markuson had cribbed from somebody else, and the rest was history.

the fact that no real running back was signed in this class unless you want to count the guy who is a combo linebacker.

Torian Wilkins gained 3,300 yards and averaged 12 yards per carry in two seasons as a high school tailback.  He is for real.

With really only Felix Jones and McFadden to take the hand offs or screens as a running back, the Hogs are one ACL injury away from being completely one dimensional.

Michael Smith comes back off a redshirt season.  With McFadden, Jones, Smith and Wilkins, there's eight ACLs in inventory.

But in the SEC, if you're going to be one dimensional, it better be with the running game.

Florida's one-dimensional back at the end of the Spurrier years sure looked better than our one-dimensional did.

The Hogs still found a way to lead the SEC in running for the third time in four years, but the problem being the Hogs had absolutely no effective passing game.

Now I am really confused, Shields.  Wasn't it a good thing to be a one-dimensional running team?  Seriously man, we just went 4-7.  We WERE one-dimensional in the running game, and it was NOT good at all.

But the Hogs going to a predominately passing attack is a formula for disaster. It could very easily lead to quick three and outs putting a shaky defense the last few years back quickly on the field.

And the Earth could fall into the sun.  Good lord, whence comes this stupidity?

The Hogs have also had their success when they had running quarterbacks, not drop-back quarterbacks.  This is like asking BYU to insert a running attack. This is a huge risk. And even if successful, be ready for excuses that this will take time to implement, which is very true.

Arkansas had its success with running quarterbacks because it almost never had a strong passing quarterback--couldn't sign 'em.  Why not?  We were running the ball 80% of our plays back then!  You're just making empty noise.  Arkansas finally makes the change that even you have been pining for, but you act as though nobody remembers anything you ever wrote before.  You can't stand to allow for the possibility that things might get better while Nutt is still the coach.  Painful as it may be to acknowledge, it's the truth.  Nutt got away with four years of mostly miserable recruiting, he got away with back-to-back losing seasons, and when his team starts winning again next fall, Nutt will own this job as long as he cares to.

The last time the Hogs got really, really enamored with the passing game and thought it was the way to go was following the run and shoot era of the Houston Cougars. Anyone remember when Jack Crowe tried to institute the one-back "super back" set with a more wide-open passing game?  The Hogs opened that season at home with a shocking loss to the Citadel.

You apparently do not remember the game plan for The Citadel game.  It was as vanilla as possible, trying to hide everything from our new SEC opponents.  Those same Hogs took Crowe's game plan into the South Carolina game and blew them out.  Regardless, the offensive scheme had nothing to do with that team's performance in 1992.  Its talent level was miserably low, depleted by the traitor Hatfield and the spotty work of Crowe (assisted by Nutt).

History does not keep Arkansas from being able to throw the football, not if the team can recruit the right talent.  It's lack of talent that has restrained the passing game.  Good talent in 1998 = nice, balanced offense.  Weak talent at receiver from 2000 to date = RunsRUs.  Arkansas just signed what should be its best receiver class in school history.  Also signed a real live national high school player of the year to be the QB.  If you question an increased emphasis on passing under these circumstances, please enlighten us as to what in your mind WOULD be enough.
[CENSORED]!

RAZORBART

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 06, 2006, 10:37:02 am
I'm afraid I'm on board with what FullMetal is saying.  As I watch Texas Tech play, I enjoy it.  It's balls to the wall football, kinda' like Canadian football.  They move up and down the field.  However, if they ever get inside the 10 yard line, they often are forced to take the 3 instead of the seven because they just can't punch it in.  Once you get down there, you have to be able to run because the field shrinks and DB's don't have to cover as much space.  You at least have to have the threat of a run so the defense has to commit 9-10 guys to stopping it so you can pass down there. 

Also I've noticed when TT plays a team with exceptional DB's, such as are present in abundance on most SEC teams, or a team that can plug in the extra DB and still dominate the line of scrimmage because they have great DL's, such as are present in abundance in the SEC, that their offense bogs down.  Just check out this year's Cotton Bowl for an example of what I'm talking about.  If a team plugs in an extra DB, you have to be able to run the football.  You can't do that out of the spread. 

One other aspect of a team like TT is that I never see them recruiting a big dog RB on campus.  That only adds to the dilemma of a weak running game.

I'll be honest and say up front I never watched Springdale play.  However, it can't be that much different than other spread offenses.  I doubt they ever had to punch anyone in the mouth to  win a game.  In the SEC you're gonna' have to be able to punch people in the mouth to win games.

So, I hope that HDN is not going to abandon the power running game.  I'm hoping that he and Malzahn are going to just come to a sort of hybridization of what each brings to the table:  incorporate spread formations along with the power I;  improve routes and involve more receivers on the passing plays we do run.  However, I certainly don't want to see us lining up in the spread formation each time we break the huddle.  I don't even want to see that the majority of the time. 

The SEC is not the WAC or even the PAC 10.  It has the top defenses and the best defensive players in the country year in and year out.  You can't beat those kinds of defense with fluff.  You got to have some serious substance to beat those kinds of defenses.

Not to criticize your post but WE have not done a very admirable job of punching it in from the red zone either and the formation was not the problem. HDN and the author of this thread must have used the same spy. Houston must of used him in the press box to assist in calling goal line plays and Shields used him to bag information he could have found in the weekly star shopper along with every other publication in Arkansas. And all this time I thought Ray Charles had died now only to learn he is calling plays and doing spy work in NW Arkansas.

tulsahog36

he is 100% right.   a shootgun offense and scrapping the run WILL bring disaster to ARkansas. and for people who say springdale ran the ball 50%of the time, how many of those runs were in the 2nd half with Mitch on the bench?

HogPhan

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on February 06, 2006, 11:59:42 am
I think Malzahn and Wood are going to put together a hybrid system that mixes the Shotgun spread and the I.  What will truely be different here is that, unlike with Nutt, we won't be predictable in what we do out of certain formations or personnel groupings.  You could see I sets with 3 WR that air it out, and power running set up out of the Spread.  The fact is, no matter the formation, we will be far more unpredictable than in the past.

As for the "high school coach theory"....bottom line....Malzahn may have only been a HS coach, but if there has ever been a more "high school" offense than the one we've been running with Nutt, I'd like to see it.  The predictability of play calling out of formations and substitution patterns was laughable. 

this is what i'm expecting.  something close to what USC runs.  they will also use the pass to set up the run which is opposite of what he have seen in the past.

An old hog fanatic

Is this guy Hoginmemphis' roommate??  They both seem to spew out the same kind of bugle oil about anything we think is a positive for the Hogs!
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

hogsanity

THe pread, if nothing else, will prevent teams from putting 8 in the box ( unless they want to leave a Wr compltely uncoverd, but that usually wont work as we so painfully found out ).  The D either has to zone which will move one safety back 12 yds or so, or they have to go man and either not give any safety help over the top or keep a safty back, either way it gets it down to 6 in the box. 

Even if they dont throw it anymore than last year it will still open things up.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: tulsahog36 on February 06, 2006, 12:45:12 pm
and for people who say springdale ran the ball 50%of the time, how many of those runs were in the 2nd half with Mitch on the bench?

Watch the first half of every game at www.bulldogtvonline.com 
OR
add up the # of rushes by each of the starters -- Clinkscales, Williams, Norman & Pongonis (A. Jones in 2 games) http://www.springdalebulldogfootball.com/gamestats_2005.htm

That's where the 50-50 assertion comes from.   ;)

wishyjoshy

Mr. FullMetalPiglet/Robert Shields: What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
;D ;D ;D

D-macs cuz

spread offense sucks sincerely, buffalo bills, texas longhorns, houston oilers.

1967 Grad

The Hogs' history is having great running backs, many going to the professional ranks, not quarterbacks and receivers. Backs such as Jerry Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Ike Forte, Gary Anderson, Jesse Clark, Roland Sales, Marshall Foreman, James Rouse, Derrick Thomas, Barry Foster, E.D. Jackson, Madre Hill, Chrys Chukwuma, Micheal Jenkins, and Cedric Cobbs. Now comes Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, and Darren McFadden. The Hogs have also had their success when they had running quarterbacks, not drop-back quarterbacks.

I obviously predate Mr. Shields, so I remember the Burnett brothers, Bruce Maxell, Dickey Morton, etc.  I thought we were fairly successful with John Brittenum, Freddy Marshall, and Bill Montgomery, none of whom could be confused as a "running QB".
I only had the good fortune to watch Springdale twice last year on TV vs Evangel and Jenks and i saw a running back prosper in Coach Malzahn's system. Though he was a good running back, can you imagine what might happen when you turn D-Mac and Felix loose?   

I'm afraid I'm on board with what FullMetal is saying.  As I watch Texas Tech play, I enjoy it.  It's balls to the wall football, kinda' like Canadian football.  They move up and down the field.  However, if they ever get inside the 10 yard line, they often are forced to take the 3 instead of the seven because they just can't punch it in.  Once you get down there, you have to be able to run because the field shrinks and DB's don't have to cover as much space.  You at least have to have the threat of a run so the defense has to commit 9-10 guys to stopping it so you can pass down there. 

Also I've noticed when TT plays a team with exceptional DB's, such as are present in abundance on most SEC teams, or a team that can plug in the extra DB and still dominate the line of scrimmage because they have great DL's, such as are present in abundance in the SEC, that their offense bogs down.  Just check out this year's Cotton Bowl for an example of what I'm talking about.  If a team plugs in an extra DB, you have to be able to run the football.  You can't do that out of the spread.

To Chinese Emperor:

Wonder why Casey chose the Razorbacks over T-Tech? He was of the highest priority for Coach Leach!! He wanted him really, really bad. Maybe he wanted to go to a school with a balanced attack featuring talented athletes at both skill and OL positions.  Granted, the SEC is blessed with good athletic DB's.  Ask how many of them would like to single cover Monk, DWill, London Crawford, Salters, etc. And does that mean we will occasionally see a LB on Hillis in single coverage? I sure like the thought of that. Truth of the matter is that we now have a number of playmakers assembled on the same field at the same time and it is going to keep SEC Def Coordinators up to the wee hours trying to figure out what is coming next.  Put me down as one who favors this approach to the one that has our opponents calling out the play we are going to run while we are lining up to run it.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 10:10:11 am
Surely none of us are so naive that we would believe Coach Malzahn is so severely one dimensional that he brings only one offensive approach to our program. Those of you that do including the rest of the SEC is going to be very surprised.  The man is not known as an offensive genius for nothing. We have the real deal in charge as we have wanted for a long time.

I agree.  I don't understand why everyone thinks we will abandon our running game.  Clinkscales was a 1000 yard back at Springdale BECAUSE of the spread offense.  My prediction: Hogs lead the SEC in rushing yet again, Dmac goes for 1500.

D-macs cuz

what is it going to be worse than last years play calling? doubt it.

Apathy

Quote from: hogsanity on February 06, 2006, 12:48:02 pm
THe pread, if nothing else, will prevent teams from putting 8 in the box ( unless they want to leave a Wr compltely uncoverd, but that usually wont work as we so painfully found out ).  The D either has to zone which will move one safety back 12 yds or so, or they have to go man and either not give any safety help over the top or keep a safty back, either way it gets it down to 6 in the box. 

Even if they dont throw it anymore than last year it will still open things up.

Exactly.  I suspect no one in Fayetteville is happier about the spread offense than Darren McFadden.  Compared to off tackle right and trap left against 8-9 of the SEC's best in the box, it will look like swiss cheese, and with his vision and lateral quickness, he may average more than 7 yards a carry next year.  Hard to imagine, but realistic.

jkstock04

So if it was up to Sheilds would we run the exact same offense we did last year?...boy that sure seemed to work well.  The running game is gonna be fine...the passing game will open up the running game and vice versa...he said the only two backs to speak of that we had were Macfadden and Jones...what a jackass....hey Mr. Shields, you remember Peyton Hillis??  Theres also a guy named Michael Smith whos supposed to be pretty good...we didn't need to recruit any more running backs this year...Macfadden probably won't get as many carries this year as he did last...but I bet he'll have just as many yards or more cause he isn't gonna be running into as much traffic as he was last year...cause the spread will open the field up and they'll have to play us more honest.  I've liked some of Shields' stuff...but this wasn't very well thought out...I wonder if he ever saw Springdale play last year....
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogoh

Dear Diary:

Mood today: frustrated.  After yet another testy coaches' meeting, I just don't understand Gus's dag-nabbed "spread" offense.  There are lots of X's and O's, and there seem to be multiple receivers going down field to catch passes (even the tight end!). 

I mean, doesn't Gus understand that we have two thoroughbred tail backs?  I showed Gus my play book, but he said that off-tackle left and right, along with that sneaky draw play, were not enough to win in the SEC.  What does he know?  He's a friggin' high school coach!  (I will say that Gus was helpful in telling me to scratch off my other play, the QB roll-out, as he reminded me that Matt left after the 2004 season.  Thanks.)

Doesn't Gus understand that my job is on the line?  I'm just not sure this is all going to work out.

Signed,

H.D. Nutt

P.S. Call Robert Shields in the morning.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: hogoh on February 06, 2006, 01:51:36 pm
Dear Diary:

Mood today: frustrated.  After yet another testy coaches’ meeting, I just don’t understand Gus’s dag-nabbed “spread” offense.  There are lots of X’s and O’s, and there seem to be multiple receivers going down field to catch passes (even the tight end!). 

I mean, doesn’t Gus understand that we have two thoroughbred tail backs?  I showed Gus my play book, but he said that off-tackle left and right, along with that sneaky draw play, were not enough to win in the SEC.  What does he know?  He’s a friggin’ high school coach!  (I will say that Gus was helpful in telling me to scratch off my other play, the QB roll-out, as he reminded me that Matt left after the 2004 season.  Thanks.)

Doesn’t Gus understand that my job is on the line?  I’m just not sure this is all going to work out.

Signed,

H.D. Nutt
You're killin me!!!  My coworkers are wondering why I'm laughing outloud!  +1 karma!

Topcat

Quote from: hog caller on February 06, 2006, 10:25:59 am
good grief fullmetal, have a cup of coffee or even a beer  and weake up before you write something slike this. Gus won't theow all the time . his phylosophy is if theew are 8 in the box throw it if the line backes are backed up run it.. i don'rt see the spread killing us . it will take more than 3 recievers to run this paln if you plan on kleeping them fresh. even FAla knows that.
[/quote
WHAT? Ever heard of spell check?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PigPusher

It has been said over and over again and I guess worth mentioning again.  Coach Malzahn does not have a set offense.  He executes what the defense gives his team. What's the constant argument over the pass vs run?  It is what it is in the order that Coach Malzahn will view it, period.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Squealers

Quote from: PigPusher on February 06, 2006, 02:56:56 pm
It has been said over and over again and I guess worth mentioning again.  Coach Malzahn does not have a set offense.  He executes what the defense gives his team. What's the constant argument over the pass vs run?  It is what it is in the order that Coach Malzahn will view it, period.

Exactly!  Well said. 

Look, this article implies that we will be One Dimensional.  Huh?  The only thing one dimensional about Gus' offensive strategy is he is after ONE WIN at a time.

Anyone who looks at this formula and sees a single layer of complexity, is probably still banging out their articles on a Commodor 64 computer hooked up to the TV set.

One dimension this!
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

PigMan

Exactly Squealers...There is no basis for argument.  We should just all set back and enjoy as it is going to be quite a show.

pigfoot

Unless you have exceptional talent to run the spread (starting with the offensive line), SEC defenses will kill you.  We have exceptional running backs and wide receivers.  Our quarterbacks have exceptional potential, but are inexperienced at the D1 level.  Our OL blocks pretty well for a running game, but is suspect for a spread offense.  I don't agree with the gloom and doom in Mr. Shield's article, but I'm not wearing rose colored glasses either.  Things aren't likely to come easy for us in 2006.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

clemensrules01

Quote from: TopHawwgg on February 06, 2006, 11:31:43 am
Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 06, 2006, 11:26:35 am
Just watched the first 2 series from the Jenks game.  Sure looks like the TT offense to me.  Maybe they just didn't emphasize the run against Jenks.  I'll watch more when I get home, but I do not want that full time.  I just don't think it will work in the SEC. 

So what your saying is that the stats about the run pass ratio in Gus's offense are in fact a fabrication.   Just like Texas Tech....never run unless its 4th and 1 or something.....   Guess we should get to investigating that statistician from Springdale guys.......

Now where is that sarcasm button at?.......
we should measure run vs. pass in the first half of games only.  in the second half, the game was over and they did nothing but run because of the mercy rule.

ballhog™

Kentucky did not have exceptional athletes and their most success in years came under Hal Mumme flinging the ball left and right.

Florida was middle of the pack in the SEC until Spurrier came in.

They key imo is that Gus' offense still has a strong running capability.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

whatsshakinbacon

Does Edgerrin James hate the Spread Offense?

I think not.

Bacon out...

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: clemensrules01 on February 06, 2006, 04:50:24 pm
we should measure run vs. pass in the first half of games only.  in the second half, the game was over and they did nothing but run because of the mercy rule.

Correct.  Which comes out to roughly half run, half pass

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,47256.msg520151.html#msg520151

rude1

While I would like to disagree with his assessment of the spread, I can't. I think fans are thinking with their hearts and not their minds on this one. I see no way that Gus walks off of an Arkansas highschool sideline, comes to the SEC with his spread, and outwit the experienced defensive minds he is going to be going up against in this league. Didn't we see a much more experienced coach in Urban Myers try just that  this past season in Florida with much better talent? Had we seen anyone else dive into their highschools for an offensive coordinator we would have ridiculed such a move as smalltime. Now I hope that I'm completely wrong, and Gus comes in, chunks it all around the yard, and we win some ball games. But how patient is everyone going to be if the spread is resulting in more minus yardage in sacks than positive yards in completions?

PigMan

Quote from: pigfoot on February 06, 2006, 04:33:38 pm
Unless you have exceptional talent to run the spread (starting with the offensive line), SEC defenses will kill you.  We have exceptional running backs and wide receivers.  Our quarterbacks have exceptional potential, but are inexperienced at the D1 level.  Our OL blocks pretty well for a running game, but is suspect for a spread offense.  I don't agree with the gloom and doom in Mr. Shield's article, but I'm not wearing rose colored glasses either.  Things aren't likely to come easy for us in 2006.

Then young man you are going to be very pleasantly surprised at what is going to happen.  In fact you are going to loose a lot of sleep wondering how you could be so lucky to be a fan of a team such as the Razorbacks.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: rude1 on February 06, 2006, 05:02:07 pm
Now I hope that I'm completely wrong, and Gus comes in, chunks it all around the yard, and we win some ball games. But how patient is everyone going to be if the spread is resulting in more minus yardage in sacks than positive yards in completions?

I believe you will be proven wrong.  No matter how much we discuss it now, it's not going to change the fact that we will not know until we see it on the field.  However, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

pfrg999

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on February 06, 2006, 04:55:42 pm

I would Like that.... The game over in the 1st half and we run the rest of the game.... That IMO would be a GOOD thing
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ballhog™

Gus and Urban have different offenses.  Urban runs the spread option.

Gus runs  a lot less option although there is more deception.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Biggus Piggus

Didn't we see a much more experienced coach in Urban Myers try just that  this past season in Florida with much better talent?

No, Florida had a misfit at the QB position, was down on receiver talent and was down on backfield talent.

There's a misconception here.  Apparently some of you think the Hogs are not going to run.  That ain't gonna happen.
[CENSORED]!

pfrg999

Quote from: HoopHog on February 06, 2006, 05:16:25 pm
Of course his spy on the Hill is more right than wrong.  The other way around, you don't have a premise to write your gossip column style epistle.

What an uninformed and stupid, stupid article.  It is a shame that Robert Shields never seems to amass enough research to ever make any of his arguments remotely complete.  He never has a full grasp on the depth of Razorback personell nor does he show an understanding of options that can play out. 

Given his ridiculous comments, I guess he is blindly assuming that the current roster of receivers is going to be collectively replaced by the full crop of newbies.  I guess red shirting no longer exists.  Someone needs to introduce Shileds to Richard Smith...he will also fill in at tailback (for another example of his selective memory).  Seriously, when was the last time the Hogs only had 2 tailbacks on our depth chart?  This guy is a pure idiot!

Additionally, does this guy know Shiite from shinola about this offensive scheme?  Given his comments about the running game it is obvious that he does not -- in any way, shape or form, understand this offensive philosophy.  How can he make educated commentary when he doesn't study the topic whatsoever?  Typical uninformed "grand standing."

Well Said....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

PigMan

Biggus from what I see if any team loads up against the pass we will surely run. That is what Coach Malazhn is all about.  Its not unlike playing chess. You exploit the opponents weakness.

clemensrules01

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on February 06, 2006, 04:55:42 pm

reading before you post is overrated.

pigsooie1000

But how patient is everyone going to be if the spread is resulting in more minus yardage in sacks than positive yards in completions?

From watching Springdale this year, one of the reasons that Mitch was only sacked twice was the high amount of quick hits they threw.  If they had a one-on-one matchup and the athletic advantage, they were going to take advantage of it and let their guy make a play.  Gus's offense is about getting the ball in the hands of your playmakers in space with room to let them do what they do best, make a play.  It's not about throwing the ball a certain amount of time, it's about scoring points the best way he knows how and that will certainly involve McFadden and Jones getting the ball. 

One more thing, does Shields think our one-dimensional offense this year was effective enough to win in the SEC?? Would he rather have kept Houston as the offensive coordinator?? Bad article...

CorningHog

I think the Robert Shield's column was designed to get people arguing and discussing the "spread" offense which according to this "thread" it accomplished.

I guess all us experts will have to agree to disagree and vice versa, but I will tell you as a long time Razorback football fan and knowing a little about what I believe are Gus Malzahn's principles to coaching, Arkansas fans will be every bit as excited as ever.

Don't worry about the # of plays that will be passes versus runs.  Just expect the "execution" aspect of "any" play called will go up by at least 50%.  Execution is the name of the game for Gus, whether he is running a dive play, a screen, deep pass, whatever.

Playcalling will become something that us fans in the stands will have less and less ability to guess the play.

Things will be better, and Gus will not underutilize the talents he has on offense.  Enjoy the offseason and forget about "predicting" what lies ahead!

It is a waste of time, unless it is to get excited at the changes that are coming!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

GrizzledHogFan

Prior to this, I've been on the fence about Shields' columns.  I now firmly believe he's a goober.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Hoot72

I have always understood the key to Coach Malzahn's offense to be "hurry-up and no-huddle," to take advantage of not allowing the defenses to make situation substitutions.  That philosophy could be adapted to either the spread formation or a more traditional I formation.  I do believe that Coach favors the spread, and likes to pass every time that is what the defense allows.  The key will be to call the right play, at the right time, after reading what the defense is doing.  The key will be with Coach Malzahn will be able to read what the SEC defensive coordinaors are doing, and I believe that he will be able to do that.  With the playmakers that Arkansas has, and with a legitimate passing threat, our offense ought to be exciting for everyone.  There will be a learning curve, but I think Gus will learn quickly and teach quicly.

silvertip

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on February 06, 2006, 01:02:20 pm
Quote from: tulsahog36 on February 06, 2006, 12:45:12 pm
and for people who say springdale ran the ball 50%of the time, how many of those runs were in the 2nd half with Mitch on the bench?

Watch the first half of every game at www.bulldogtvonline.com 
OR
add up the # of rushes by each of the starters -- Clinkscales, Williams, Norman & Pongonis (A. Jones in 2 games) http://www.springdalebulldogfootball.com/gamestats_2005.htm

That's where the 50-50 assertion comes from.   ;)

You're wasting your time, FLKeysGuy. Because you're asking him to do the work himself. He wants you to give him the data. So he can ignore it.

SwineOnTheLine

Quote from: FullMetalPiglet on February 06, 2006, 09:51:52 am
Shotgun Spread Offense is Recipe for Disaster

Robert Shields

My spy on the Hill, who is more often right than wrong, tells me that the Hogs will run a spread offense mostly out of a shotgun next season. Maybe this is no big surprise, but if you have been keeping up with the Hogs’ offense in years past, this is a huge departure for Houston Nutt – and for the program.

Other empirical facts also bear out that a spread offense is on the way -- the late commitments from many receivers including Damian Williams, the recommitting of Mitch Mustain after the hire of his high school coach Gus Malzahn who loves the spread, and the fact that no real running back was signed in this class unless you want to count the guy who is a combo linebacker.

The Hogs signed no less than six wide receivers. If you want to count Ben Cleveland and the guy they have listed as “athlete” (Ramon Broadway), you can make it eight. You probably have also seen stories of Darren McFadden being assured that the running game is not being scraped. I am sure Terry Bowden told Stephen Davis the same thing. Sometime after that Auburn went into the tank only to be revived when Tommy Tuberville resurrected the running game.

The Hogs already also have Cedric Logan, Cedric Washington, Rod Coleman, Reggie Fish, Chris Baker, and Marcus Monk to play receiver. Maybe some of these guys can be moved to defensive end like Anthony Brown and Jamal Anderson. In fact, Damian Williams might make a great defensive end.

With really only Felix Jones and McFadden to take the hand offs or screens as a running back, the Hogs are one ACL injury away from being completely one dimensional. Nothing new for Hog fans.

But in the SEC, if you’re going to be one dimensional, it better be with the running game. The Hogs found themselves in almost all their SEC games last season and it was because of its power running game, a very less-than-inventive running game where the option and toss sweep were used as trick plays. The Hogs still found a way to lead the SEC in running for the third time in four years, but the problem being the Hogs had absolutely no effective passing game. With such an effective running game, the play action should work but Houston Nutt found a way to make it not.

With some coaching, this team would have won more last year. Bizarre coaching moves cost the Hogs the Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Georgia, and LSU games. If you want you can add that the Alabama game was also a possible win. Nutt told us after the Alabama game that if only that John Aaron Rees kid had scooped up that blocked punt and carried it into the end zone -- spoken like a coach who had no faith in his offense.

Here is where I go negative once more, and this is a place for you to clip and mail to me when I am wrong. I know there is tremendous excitement over this class. But the Hogs going to a predominately passing attack is a formula for disaster. It could very easily lead to quick three and outs putting a shaky defense the last few years back quickly on the field. Reggie Herring improved the defense last year but he is not a miracle worker and recruiting on the defensive side has been suspect for years besides the guys signed from Central High. Seems dangerous to stick them out on the field too often.

The Hogs’ history is having great running backs, many going to the professional ranks, not quarterbacks and receivers. Backs such as Jerry Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Ike Forte, Gary Anderson, Jesse Clark, Roland Sales, Marshall Foreman, James Rouse, Derrick Thomas, Barry Foster, E.D. Jackson, Madre Hill, Chrys Chukwuma, Micheal Jenkins, and Cedric Cobbs. Now comes Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, and Darren McFadden. The Hogs have also had their success when they had running quarterbacks, not drop-back quarterbacks.

This is like asking BYU to insert a running attack. This is a huge risk. And even if successful, be ready for excuses that this will take time to implement, which is very true. And there will be growing and learning pains.

The last time the Hogs got really, really enamored with the passing game and thought it was the way to go was following the run and shoot era of the Houston Cougars. Anyone remember when Jack Crowe tried to institute the one-back "super back" set with a more wide-open passing game?

The Hogs opened that season at home with a shocking loss to the Citadel.

USC will be starting a new quarterback, but USC’s coaching staff sees different passing attacks every week from Cal to Oregon to Oregon State to Stanford to on and on. This very well could be history repeating itself -- an experiment gone bad as much of Houston Nutt's coaching career is turning out to be at Arkansas. I guess the loss couldn’t possibly be as shocking as last season’s, though.

Send your favorite Houston Nutt play to fromthebench@yahoo.com

Shut the hell up.It would be so much easier if you would just go away and not post here anymore.Please go pretend like you're a journalist for another team.

GrizzledHogFan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

pigfoot

Quote from: PigMan on February 06, 2006, 05:02:31 pm
Quote from: pigfoot on February 06, 2006, 04:33:38 pm

Then young man you are going to be very pleasantly surprised at what is going to happen.  In fact you are going to loose a lot of sleep wondering how you could be so lucky to be a fan of a team such as the Razorbacks.

I wish I were as young as you seem to think I am.  And I wish I were as optimistic as you seem to be.  Only time will tell.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann