Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC M BBall Coaches during the Expansion Era?

Started by jbcarol, February 13, 2011, 08:07:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Missouri

Mizzou hired Cuonzo Martin, 45 to replace Kim Anderson for a reported $21 million over seven years. The East St. Louis native was coach at Missouri State for three seasons where his teams were 26-28 in the MVC and made the NIT second round in his last season. He has won a battle with cancer.  This hire makes "Martin" and "Kennedy" the most common last names of SEC men's basketball coaches replacing "Anderson" in that elite group.

Martin was hired by Tennessee to replace Bruce Pearl. His teams went 32-20 in three seasons including leading the Vols to the Sweet 16 in 2014.  He was replaced by Donnie Tyndall. 

Martin led the Cal Bears also for three seasons. His teams went 28-24 in the Pac-12. His 2016 team made the NCAA-T and his 2017 team slept walked through their NIT game as if they knew they were losing a coach.

Cuonzo Martin has more previous D-1 head coaching wins than anyone who has taken Mizzou job. Norm Stewart had 97, Mike Anderson 89, Frank Haith 129, and Q Snyder & K Anderson zero apiece.

Martin has also led teams to the NCAA Tournament twice in his nine seasons as a head coach.

Mizzou hired former player and assistant Kim Anderson (born May 12, 1955 in Sedalia). At 6-7, Anderson matched Andy Kennedy as tallest coach in the SEC in '14-15. Anderson played 21 games for the Trail Blazers during the '78-79 season. After a pro playing career in Europe, Anderson was an assistant to Norm Stewart from '82-85 and '91-99, working at Baylor in the interim. After a break from coaching, Anderson became head coach at Central Missouri, winning the DII National Championship in 2014.

Anderson's teams were 8-46 in SEC play over three seasons. Sanctions hanging over from the Frank Haith era included Mizzou missing the 2016 SEC Tournament. In 2017, Missouri went 2-7 vs. NCAA Tournament teams with wins over Arkansas and Vandy. A win over Auburn in the SEC Tournament's Wednesday game provided a last feel good moment.

2017 Missouri's eight wins and .250 winning percentage are the program's worst figures since 1966-67. Missouri finished the season shooting 30.4 % from 3-point range, the worst single-season shooting % in team history. They lost 35 consecutive true road games which is currently an active streak.

In 2011 Miami Coach Frank Haith, 47, took over for Mike Anderson who had taken the Tigers to the Elite Eight and the second round of the NCAA tournament after turning around the program following the Quin Snyder error.

Haith coached Mizzou to a 14-4 mark in the Big 12 but dropped their NCAA opener to Norfolk State. Haith's first SEC season ended tied for fifth at 11-7. Mizzou lost their NCAA opener.  Haith had been subject to a prolonged and bitter NCAA investigation tied to his time at Miami. He seemed to catch a break in 2013 when the NCAA acknowledged wrongdoing in their handling of the case.  Haith was suspended for a few games at the start of the '13-14 season in which Mizzou finished tied for sixth in the SEC and were able to advance to the NIT second round.  Haith left Mizzou for Tulsa after not receiving a contract extension. Haith was noted for heavy reliance on transfer players.

Frank Haith was 20-16 (55.6% or 10-8 on average) in SEC regular season play.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AP_Top25/status/847118306591068161

QuoteTo determine the all-time Top 100, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point each) to mark consistency and No. 1 rankings (two points each) to acknowledge elite programs. Keep in mind that AP doesn't release a poll after the NCAA Tournament, so eventual national champions are not factored into these rankings.

27    Florida    306
29    Missouri    300
30    Alabama    297
31    Arkansas    289

38    Tennessee    243

46    Vanderbilt    204
47    LSU            198

58    Miss State    140

62    S Carolina    135

75    T A&M    105

80    Auburn    90

92    Georgia    66

100    Mississippi    49
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

LSU

Will Wade, 34, was hired from VCU as LSU's coach replacing Johnny Jones. Wade's first head coaching job was with UT-Chattanooga for two seasons before being hired at Virginia Commonwealth in 2015 replacing Shaka Smart.  Wade's '16 team made the NCAA round of 32 and the '17 team also made the tournament despite not winning the A-10. VCU became one of only eight schools to make the NCAA Tournament six seasons in a row.

Johnny Jones, a former player for Dale Brown's 1981 Final Four team, followed Johnson after an 11-year run at North Texas where he won 50.8% of his conference games and he made the NCAA-T twice. Jones first LSU team in '13 went 9-9 in the regular season finishing 9th in league. His third team was 11-7 in the SEC and made the NCAA tournament.  LSU recruited the nation's number one player Ben Simmons who not only went onto becoming the NBA's number one pick, he also became the first number one pick in nearly 40 years to not play in the NCAA tournament. Jones received criticism for passing up opportunities for post season play which was Simmons' choice.

Squarely on the hot seat, Jones' '15-16 team went (10-21, 2-16 SEC). His last season tilted his overall SEC record to 42-48 (prorated to 8.4-9.6).

Trent Johnson completed four seasons at LSU. His first LSU team won the SEC regular season championship going 13-3. His overall record was 27-8 and LSU advanced to the NCAA second round. Johnson suffered two tough seasons in '10 and '11 and after a 7-9 run in '12 wrapped up at LSU with a 25-39 (39.1%) or 6.2 - 9.8 prorated regular season conference record.  The '12 team was one and done in the NIT. Johnson went to TCU where his '13 team was 1-16 in conference.

Butch Pierre was 5-4 as an interim replacing ASU Coach John Brady mid-season in '08.

John Brady coached LSU for 10.5 seasons in a feast or famine type of run.  Brady finished sixth in the SEC-W five times.  This included three of his first four seasons and his last two seasons. Brady's teams earned first round SEC-T byes in five other seasons.

Brady's 2006 team reached the NCAA-T Final Four. This was LSU's fourth Final Four appearance ever but their only one during the SEC Expansion Era to-date. Brady also reached the NCAA-T Sweet 16 in his third season. Brady's teams reached the NCAA-T four times and the NIT two times.

Brady's SEC conference regular season record was 74-93 (44.3%) prorated to 7-9 as an average season. Brady's 2000 team shared the SEC regular season title with an overall 28-6 record (12-4 SEC). His Final Four team finished 27-9 (14-2 SEC) and was outright SEC regular season champs.

Dale Brown had the second longest SEC Basketball coaching tenure ever.  Brown coached from 1972 to 1997. Coach Brown first made the post season in his seventh season at LSU. Brown then made the post season 15 consecutive years. His teams failed to make the post season his last four years. Coach Brown's teams made the NCAA-T ten consecutive seasons.

Coach Brown's teams made the NCAA-T Sweet 16 five times, the Elite 8 four times, and the Final Four twice. LSU won the SEC regular season championship outright in '79, '81 and '85 and shared the title in '91. LSU won the SEC Tourney in 1980, the second year of the revived tournament. Coach Brown's best record was with his '81 team which went 31-5 (17-1 SEC).

Brown's SEC regular season record was 238-200 (54.3%) or 8.7-7.3 prorated. His latter seasons after SEC Expansion were some of his tougher seasons. Coach Brown went 39-57 (40.6%) in six seasons prorating to 6.5-9.5.

jbcarol

Number of Teams the SEC placed in the Mens NCAA-T from 1992 Tourney to present with seeds in parentheses:

2017 [5]: Kentucky (2), Florida (4), South Carolina (7), Arkansas (Eight), Vandy (9)

2016 [3]: A&M (3), Kentucky (4), Vandy (11)

2015 [5]: Kentucky (1-overall), Arkansas (5), LSU (9), Georgia (10), Ole Miss (11)

2014 [3]: Florida (1-overall), Kentucky (Eight), Tennessee (11)

2013 [3]: Florida (3), Mizzou (9), Ole Miss (12)

2012 [4]: UK (1-overall), VU (5), UF (7), Bama (9)

2011 [5]: UF (2), UK (4), VU (5), UT (9), UG (10)

2010 [4]: UK (1), Vandy (4), UT (6), UF (10)

2009 [3]: LSU (Eight), UT (9), MSSt (13)

2008 [6]: UT(2), VU(4), Hogs(Eight), MSt(Eight), UK(11), UGa(14)

2007 [5]: UF(1), UT(5), VU(6), UK (Eight), Hogs (12)

2006 [6]: UT(2), UF(3), LSU(4), Hogs(Eight) ,UK(Eight), Bama(10)

2005 [5]: UK(2), UF(4), Bama (5), LSU (6), MSt (9)

2004 [6]: UK(1-overall), MSt(2), UF(5), VU(6), Bama(Eight), SC(10)

2003 [6]: UK(1), UF(2), MSt(5), LSU(Eight), Bama(10), AU(10)

2002 [6]: Bama(2), UG(3), MSt(3), UK(4), UF(5), OM(9)

2001 [6]: UK(2), OM(3), UF(3), Hogs(7), UG(Eight), UT(Eight)

2000 [6]: LSU(4), UT(4), UF(5), UK(5), AU(7), Hogs(11)

1999 [6]: AU(1), UK(3), Hogs(4), UT(4), UF(6), OM(9)

1998 [5]: UK (2), SC (3), OM (4), Hogs (6), Vols (Eight)

1997 [5]: UK (1), SC (2), UGa (3), OM (Eight), VU (10)

1996 [4]: UK (1), State (5), UGa (Eight), Hogs (12)

1995 [5]: UK (1), Hogs (2), State (5), Bama (5), UF (10)

1994 [4]: Hogs (1), UK (3), UF (3), Bama (9)

1993 [4]: UK (1), Vandy (3), Hogs (4), LSU (11)

1992 [4]: UK (2), Hogs (3), Bama (5), LSU (7)

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/851511405492686849

Ray Tanner will present the contracts to the South Carolina Board of Trustees at its next scheduled meeting on April 21, according to thestate.com.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/852644039627354112

Quote7. Mike Anderson, Arkansas

Career record: 328-172 (128-74)

Tourney appearances: 8 (2 at Arkansas)

2. Frank Martin, South Carolina

Career record: 213-128 (96-74 at South Carolina)

Tourney appearances: 5 (1 at South Carolina)

jbcarol

jbcarol

NCAA Tournament Record for Current SEC Coaches at SEC Schools:

John Calipari    Kentucky    26-6
Bruce Pearl    Tennessee**   8-6
Frank Martin South Carolina 4-1
Mike White      Florida         3-1
Cuonzo Martin Tennessee*  3-1
Billy Kennedy  A&M             2-1
Mike Anderson Arkansas     2-2
Andy Kennedy Ole Miss       2-2
Mark Fox        Georgia        0-2
Bryce Drew     Vandy          0-1

*   Cuonzo Martin is currently at Mizzou
** Bruce Pearl is currently at Auburn

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/MurrayRGJ/status/857357794315337728

QuoteThroughout last season, Eric Musselman and Johnny Jones kept constant correspondence through text.

Musselman was going through a historic season at Nevada and Jones was grinding through a rough campaign at LSU. They lobbed messages back and forth, some meant to uplift and others to congratulate.

After the season was completed, Musselman was greeted with a contract extension and Jones a pink slip. Instead of simply texting after the year ended, the quick friends – Jones hired Musselman at LSU in 2014 – turned to phone calls, with Jones reaching out first.

"I knew he had some movement on his staff and instead of texting I actually called a couple of times and I didn't ask him about a job, but I wanted to make sure he knew I was out there," Jones said with a smile.  ;)

After being fired from LSU, Jones didn't need to work. The Tigers own him $800,000 over the next two seasons and the 56-year-old coach figured he'd just try to get into television so he could travel and visit some other programs while staying attached to the game that has employed him for three-plus decades. But the chance to join Musselman, who quickly became a kindred spirit at LSU, was too intriguing.

"When this opportunity presented itself, I really jumped at it," said Jones, who last week was named Nevada's associate head coach. "I was overly excited to have the opportunity. The eight or nine months we spent together, I knew he was a basketball junkie. He had a tremendous passion about the game, was a really good family guy and there was a certain connection we had that our team benefited from."

While roughly the same age, Musselman and Jones never crossed paths until 2014. However, Musselman knew David Patrick, an assistant on Jones' LSU staff. When a position on Jones' bench opened in 2014, Patrick recommended he call Musselman, who had spent the previous two seasons at Arizona State.

"In the initial call Johnny said, 'Just come check it out. Just get on the plane and meet us?'" Musselman said. "I flew down and met him, I came back and I felt really good about him."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/859379848908873728

QuoteAlabama associate men's basketball coach Bob Simon will not be asked to return for the 2017-18 season. Simon leaves Alabama after two seasons under Avery Johnson. His departure is unlikely to slow the recruiting efforts led by assistant Antoine Pettway, and may should clear the way for John Pelphrey to become the lone associate head coach.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/862757269108383746

QuoteKevin Stallings spent 17 seasons in charge of the Vanderbilt Commodores basketball program, building an 332-220 record and seven trips to the NCAA Tournament. He resigned in 2016 after a run of four disappointing seasons and accepted the job at Pitt.

During the 2015-16 season, Stallings received a base salary of $2,020,368 and also was compensated with $174,595 in bonuses and other earnings that put his yearly pay from Vanderbilt at nearly $2.3 million.

Stallings is the current leader in wins as a Commodores basketball coach, taking the job in 1999 after a successful stint at Illinois State. He led the Redbirds to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances before departing for Nashville.

Since Vanderbilt is a private institution, the coaches salaries are not readily available...

Stallings' first season at Pittsburgh, the Panthers were 16-17, including 4-14 in the ACC.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones‏ @KySportsRadio 21h21 hours ago

Billy Gillispie comes out of retirement
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/billy-gillispie-has-returned-to-ranger-college-no-longer-retired-from-coaching/ ...

QuoteBilly Gillispie will return to the sidelines as Ranger College's head coach.

In December of 2016 Gillispie announced he was retiring, citing health issues related to high blood pressure that must be immediately addressed or, "irreversible, bad things were very likely to happen."    Apparently, those health problems have been addressed and he is good to go.

Gillispie was spotted at a signing ceremony in Springfield, Illinois yesterday for a future Ranger College basketball player.  He confirmed to the The State Journal-Register that his health has improved and he will coach the junior college next fall.

"That's the intention," Gillespie said of coaching in the 2017-18 school year. "I had, unfortunately, I had some high blood pressure issues in December so they thought it was a lot worse than it actually ended up being. I've got it under control now.

"And the other thing: I'd rather die on the sideline than not be coaching, but no, that's not going to be happening anytime soon, either, I don't think. But everything is great with the health and I am definitely looking forward to coaching again."

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 4h4 hours ago

Rick Stansbury has Mitchell Robinson (ESPN, No. 10) & Josh Anderson (77). Now may land Tremont Waters (32). Bowling Green must be NICE.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway‏ @gatorhoops 3h3 hours ago

Former #Gator and current OKC Thunder coach Billy Donovan turns 52 today.

CFKATK can now qualify for discount fares

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/869887363631198208

Quote"I think maybe what I said a year ago is we know there's another level," said Fox, who is preparing to entering his ninth year at Georgia, with no victories in the NCAA tournament to show for it yet. "Now that we have a healthy team we know there's another level to get to. I never put a timetable on how long it would take to take that step.

"Everybody wants that to happen yesterday. Not tomorrow. And we're the same way as coaches. And we're probably more driven – no we're more driven inside our program than any outside opinion. And I appreciate the fact that now we have interest. I think that's great."

Fox's performance has been a source of debate and angst this year, as the Bulldogs endured a disappointing season, failing to reach the NCAA tournament for a second straight year. The Bulldogs have made it twice in Fox's tenure, most recently in 2015.

The successes of his tenure are evident, if overlooked: Winning overall and SEC records, at least 19 wins in four straight seasons, five straight seasons of at least a .500 record in SEC play. This after Fox inherited a losing team.

"I remember my first Bulldog Club event, nobody asked a question," Fox said. "I was taken aback. I thought, we have a long way to go. Now we have interest, which is very healthy."

But consistency has not led to larger success, or breakthrough victories. So the interest has been critical – especially in the face of success at another SEC program.

South Carolina, which hadn't won even a single NCAA tournament game since 1973, made the Final Four this year. Frank Martin, the coach who led the Gamecocks to that breakthrough, came forcefully to Fox's defense this week. He pointed specifically, as rival coaches usually do, to Fox's coaching acumen.

"Georgia's as well-coached a team as I've played in my five years in the SEC," Martin said. "We can get people out of character. We've never been able to get Georgia out of character."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 14h14 hours ago

Chris Holtmann's story so improbable. Left D-1 head gig at Gardner Webb to become Butler asst. Interim, permanent. 3 NCAAs. Now at Ohio St.

Billy Kennedy, like Holtmann, left head D-1 job for assistant and it worked out in long run. Who else am I missing that has done that?

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/875324795713466368

QuoteThe entirety of Alabama's campus and sporting identity is dedicated to celebrating its proud history across all sports. But one coach — possibly the most influential of them all — goes largely unrecognized on campus.

C.M. Newton was Alabama's basketball coach from 1968-80, during which time he built Alabama into a national contender, won three straight SEC titles and came within a few free throws from beating the undefeated Indiana team in 1977.

He went on to serve as Vanderbilt's coach, Kentucky's athletic director and the director of USA Basketball. It was under Newton's leadership that The Dream Team came into being.

He also helped break the color barrier at Alabama, recruiting Wendell Hudson to play basketball for him in 1969, years before the football team was integrated. For 50 years, Newton worked in the SEC and remade much of it in his likeness.

For this, and much more, he is a member of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, and now, the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics Hall of Fame.

And yet, on campus, to students, he is nearly unknown. While Patterson, Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Frank Thomas, Gene Stallings and Wallace Wade adorn monuments, Newton's name adorns one meeting room in the front of Coleman Coliseum — a nice room, with two TVs and a nice place for a buffet, but that's it. His legacy of groundbreaking open-mindedness, hard work, loyalty and bravery in the face of vitriol is underappreciated by the Alabama powers that be. AD Greg Byrne, president Stuart Bell and the trustees should change that as soon as possible.

The football field in UK's former Commonwealth Stadium is CM Newton Field. [The baseball stadium is Cliff Hagan Stadium. At last check the track is not named for Dwight Anderson nor John Wall.]

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/875749409627222017

QuoteWhite's new deal is for six years and $16.3 million, an average of $2.71 million per season. He is now under contract through 2023.

40-year-old White is 48-24 in two seasons at Florida, with an NCAA Elite Eight appearance this past season. He was previously earning $1.9 million per season.

jbcarol

Story: Rick Pitino's defiance is making things worse for UofL

QuoteIf the head coach did not know about almost four years worth of exotic dancers and escorts servicing recruits and doing so mostly in the Louisville men's basketball dormitory, well, the failure in monitoring the program was fairly catastrophic.

Pitino would have been far better served in the court of public opinion — and perhaps before the NCAA — had he said "what happened here should never have happened and, as the person in charge of the program, I am willing to accept an appropriate personal punishment because it happened on my watch."

Instead, Pitino portrayed himself as a victim of McGee — rather than as the failed supervisor of his former point guard —

That stance did not play well nationally. More importantly, the Committee on Infractions was not buying it. "The head coach failed to meet his responsibility to monitor the former operations director, and is therefore responsible for his actions..."

jbcarol

Rick Pitino's letter to "Friends of the Ville"

June 21, 2017

Dear Friends of the Ville

I am writing to you as close supporters and Friends of the Ville members. You are special to me and I realize you have endured a lot over the last two years. When the news first came out in 2015, it sunk my emotions to the lowest point anyone could possibly imagine. I write this letter to tell you and encourage you to keep your spirits high.

First and foremost, I believe that the truth will prevail and justice will be served. We hired Chuck Smrt to guide us through this process. As an ex‐NCAA enforcement staff member, Chuck directed us on what to do immediately based on the findings of the NCAA enforcement staff and we did exactly what he directed. We took away a chance to possibly go to a Final Four and win a National Championship. We were ranked 11
that the time with an experienced team, and imposed scholarship reductions and limited recruiting contacts. Based on the nature of what one of our ex‐employees did, the committee penalized us beyond reason for the charges that were presented against us.

Let me clear up the following and leave no doubt that this is the truth and the only truth:

Billy Minardi Hall was built in memory of my best friend and brother‐in‐law who I lost on 9/11. If I knew of anything that was going on there that would dishonor his name, that person wouldn't be able to get out of town fast enough.

I was told during the process that I didn't ask pointed questions. Well what does that mean exactly? I asked our staff if the recruits enjoyed themselves. What did they do? How did they like everything? I then met with their families for breakfast and asked the same questions. No, I did not ask the staff if they saw any strippers last night. I can assure you that if I asked Andre any difficult question, he would have lied to my face to avoid immediate termination.

For background, I was coaching the Puerto Rican National team in Mexico when reports of the book first broke. I tried calling Andre to see if this was true. He wouldn't answer. I then called Kareem Richardson, my ex‐assistant and Andre's boss. I asked Kareem to get Andre on the phone with him (Kareem was the Head Coach of UMKC and Andre was his assistant). I got right to the point: Did you have non‐students in our dorm? His response was a girl that he was dating brought one of her daughters and her friends and they listened to music with the guys. I then asked who is this woman you are dating? He said he met her at a convention. I then asked what does she do? His response after months of reflection was absurd. He said she is a party planner. I exploded on the phone, I said you brought girls into a dorm to listen to music because you were dating a party planner? Mike Balado was sitting next to me, I was yelling so loud that I started to feel sick. I hung up and he swore to me that nothing improper happened and that they were just listening to music. I called back and asked Kareem did he believe him? His response was "why would he lie, the truth will come out." I then spoke to Kenny Klein and he told me that the reports within the book did not say they were just listening to music.

I bring this story up because that was a phone call where I was 1500 miles away. Did the NCAA enforcement staff believe that Andre would ever tell me the truth if we were face to face? Absolutely not. He would have lied and lie some more. He knew how much that dorm meant to me. He knew how sickened I would be by his actions. Bernie Madoff fooled the smartest people on Wall Street, SEC, family, brokers and major hedge funds. There are no questions that I asked to even give me a small clue to what was going on. Security employees, managers, assistant coaches, fellow students and most importantly, Billy Minardi's children, and my nephews, all lived in that dorm. They were all questioned by me, and not one had any suspicion of any inappropriate activities going on in that dormitory.

I am not concerned about the outside world and what they think. My players, coaches and employees who have worked with me for years know how I am with rules and total compliance to the NCAA. I write this to our fans to keep your heads high and believe that the appeals committee will get it right and our values will continue to instill the right things in our student athletes.

Over twelve years ago, I hurt my wife and family by doing some improper things. I paid a heavy price with them and The Lord. We, as a family, are closer today than ever before and my faith is stronger than at any point in my life. I'm in this game for one reason, and only for one reason: to teach young men how to reach their potential on and off the court.

You, our loyal Louisville family, can rest assured we believe in doing the right thing and doing things that are important in the eyes of God.

Rick Pitino

"Friends of the Ville" support the Louisville basketball program and Rick Pitino's charity. Suggested minimum donations start at $2500.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Longest Tenured SEC Men's Basketball Coaches:

Andy Kennedy, 11 years
John Calipari, 8 years
Mark Fox, 8 years
Mike Anderson, 6 years

jbcarol

Robbie Andreu‏ @RobbieAndreu 2h2 hours ago

Mike White on his contract extension: means I can keep sending my kids to the school I'm sending them to. You want to have stability.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway‏ @gatorhoops Jun 28

It took 10 years for both Billy Donovan and Kevin O'Sullivan to win their first national titles. Lesson? It takes time to build a program.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Coaches total number of Regular Season SEC wins from '91-92 to Present. This balances on-the-court success with ability to sustain a career and a desire to stay with the SEC School over other options.

Coach                 Wins  Avg. Season Seasons
Billy Donovan       202   10.4-5.6      19
Tubby Smith         139   11.6-4.4      12
Kevin Stallings      138    7.9-8.1       17
Rick Stansbury     122    8.7-7.3       14
John Calipari        111   14.5-3.5       8
Nolan Richardson 109    9.9-6.1       11
Andy Kennedy       98     9.3-8.7       11
Mark Gottfried      83     8.0-8.0       10.3
Bruce Pearl           81     9.7-8.3        9
Rick Pitino             80   13.3-2.7        6
Eddie Fogler          77     7.7-8.3      10
John Brady           74     7.1-8.9      10.4
Cliff Ellis                73     7.3-8.7      10
Mark Fox              70     8.1-7.9       8
Mike Anderson      60    10.2-7.8      6
Anthony Grant      54     8.5-7.5       6
Richard Williams    53     7.6-8.4       7
Rod Barnes           50     6.2-9.8      8
David Hobbs         50     8.3-7.7       6
Billy Kennedy        47     9.4-8.6       5
Lon Kruger           44     8.8-7.2       5
Jan van Breda Kolff 43   7.2-8.8       6
Rob Evans            43     7.2-8.8       6
Johnny Jones       42     8.4-9.6       5
Jerry Green          41   10.2-5.8       4
Dave Odom          41     5.9-10.1     7
Frank Martin         38     7.6-10.4     5

Nolan Richardson had 65 conference wins for Arkansas in the SWC.
Mike Anderson won 43 conference games for Mizzou while they were in the Big 12.
Rick Pitino won games at UK prior to '91-92 while UK was on probation.
Eddie Fogler won 18 games for Vandy prior to '91-92.
Billy Kennedy won 4 games for A&M as part of the Big 12.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 20h20 hours ago

Crazy offseason for Rick Stansbury's staff. Quannas White left for Houston spot, Shammond Williams & Chris Cheeks left -without jobs.

Mitchell Robinson's mother, Lakeisha told ESPN that the plan remains for the talented forward to attend Western Kentucky.

Robinson's mom said she isn't sure when he will arrive on campus, but that as of now he will play for Rick Stansbury at Western Kentucky.

jbcarol

SEC Basketball Coaches NCAA Tournament Wins as SEC Basketball Coaches

Billy Donovan        35 

Adolph Rupp         30

John Calipari         26

Tubby Smith         25

Rick Pitino            22

Joe B Hall             20

Nolan Richardson  18

Dale Brown          15

Wimp Sanderson  10

Bruce Pearl             8

Sonny Smith          7

Richard Williams     6

John Brady            6

Kevin Stallings        5

Mark Gottfried       5

Cliff Ellis                 5

Don DeVoe            5

Frank Martin          4

Rick Stansbury      4

Lon Kruger            4

CM Newton           3

Mike White            3

Cuonzo Martin       3

Hugh Durham        3

Eddie Sutton          3

Rod Barnes           3

Jerry Green          3

Mike Anderson       2

David Hobbs          2

Harry Rabenhorst   2

Andy Kennedy        2

Billy Kennedy          2

Eddie Fogler           2

John Pelphrey        1

Babe McCarthy      1

Trent Johnson        1

Whack Hyder         1

Skinner                  1

jbcarol

Happy birthday To

Tennessee Coach Rick Barnes. He turns 63 on Monday. ... 

John Pelphrey. He turns 49 on Tuesday.

jbcarol

WINNINGEST SEC COACHES BY PERCENTAGE
All Games at SEC Institutions (1930-present)

.825  John Calipari, UK  2010-                       8   249-53
.822  Adolph Rupp, UK  1931-52; 1954-72  41  876-190
.814  Rick Pitino, UK      1989-97                  8    219-50
.751  Tubby Smith, UG/UK 1996-97; 98-07 12  308-102
.748  Joe B. Hall, UK     1973-85                  13  297-100
.715  Billy Donovan, UF 1997-15                 19  467-186
.713  Ray Mears, UT     1963-77                  15  278-112
.692# Wimp Sanderson, UA 1981-92           12  265-118
# Reflect NCAA T games that were later vacated. On-the-court records: 267-119
.684*  Nolan Richardson, AR  1992-02         11   249-115
* Prior to the 1991-92 season, AR competed in the SWC
.684   Joel Eaves, AU    1950-63                14   214-99
.673   Roy Skinner, VU  1959; 1962-76      16   278-135
.665    Babe McCarthy, MS 1956-65            10   169-85
.658    Hank Crisp, UA   1924-42; 1946      20   264-133
.650    Bob Polk, VU    1948-58; 1960-61   13   197-106
.638    Rick Stansbury, MS  1999-12           14   293-166
.634    Mike Anderson, AR   2012-                7    128-74

jbcarol

Neal McCready‏ @NealMcCready 22h22 hours ago

Andy Kennedy should ask for that contract rollover now. Just thinking out loud.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kim Anderson's dream job at Mizzou became a nightmare; here's how he found peace at Pitt State

QuotePITTSBURG, KAN.

For living proof that even an agonizing end can be a portal to a new beginning, meet the new men's basketball coach for Pittsburg State.

"Welcome to the jungle," Kim Anderson says with a smile as he greets a visitor into the home of the Gorillas.

As he began a mini-tour of the gleaming $14 million athletic facility, the most striking visual actually was seeing the color back in Anderson's face and weight put back on since being liberated from the debacle that theoretically was a dream job at the University of Missouri, his alma mater.

"People say I look better now than I have in a long time; I don't know if they just say that," Anderson said, smiling and adding, "I think I mentally might have been worn down."

With a laugh, he added, "Or beat down. That might be a better word."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/893123191480168451

QuoteCrimson Tide basketball coach is among seven head coaches who'll have contract amendments discussed Friday morning by the compensation committee of the UA Board of Trustees. Basketball assistant John Pelphrey will also have his deal updated.

Johnson signed a deal worth $2.8 million a year when he arrived in 2015. It runs through the 2021 season. It included a clause that allowed for renegotiation after the 2017 season.

jbcarol

Tommy Deas‏ @tommydeas 6h6 hours ago

Alabama men's basketball coach Avery Johnson up $100,000 to $2.9M per year extended thru 2023

Alabama men's basketball associate head coach John Pelphrey received a raise of $75K to $425K, extended through 2019

Cecil Hurt‏ @CecilHurt 2h2 hours ago

Cecil Hurt Retweeted Tommy Deas

In addition to raises for @CoachAvery6 and @johnpelphrey Alabama assistant @AntoinePettway received a raise from $210,000 to $275,000

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 13h13 hours ago

Report: Will Wade's contract worth $15 million over 6 years

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/894677106239647745

jbcarol

SEC Country Arkansas‏ @SECCountryHogs 19h19 hours ago

SEC Country Arkansas Retweeted Orlando Magic PR

Former Arkansas hoops coach Stan Heath tapped to guide the Orlando Magic's G-League affiliate. Heath went 82-71 with the Hogs from 2002-07.

Orlando Magic PR‏ @Magic_PR

RELEASE: @LakelandMagic name Anthony Parker GM; Stan Heath head coach

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN Aug 9

Jeff Goodman Retweeted Patrick

It would have taken me about 5 seconds if I were Cuonzo to hire Michael Porter Sr.